Inkscape Hackfest Summary - How do I make a new article on the Inkscape website?

Inkscape Hackfest Summary - How do I make a new article on the Inkscape website?

C R
Never done this before... Is there a way to publish markdown and pictures to a news story on the website? I can then link to it in a G+ press release.

Thanks. :)

Re: Inkscape Hackfest Summary - How do I make a new article on the Inkscape website?

Brynn
Here's what I know about making a new News article on the website.  Go to the
News page, and click News > New news.... in the toolbar at the top.  After you
fill in the new page/article info, you get to the editor.  (I'm pretty sure you
need editor permissions before you can see that toolbar.)

I don't think markdown is supported, but I'm not really positive.  I don't think
it would hurt to try a line with markdown - see what happens.  You could use
html if you wanted, (click the "Source" button in the editor).

To add a picture, do CMS Plugins > Picture.

Clicking Save button on the editor is sort of like a preview.  You'll see your
edits on the page, but no one else will see them, until you click Publish in the
toolbar at the top (top-right corner).  Sometimes the first Publish takes
several seconds (maybe a minute).  Don't click it again, but just wait.  (I
forget what blows up if you click it twice, but apparently it's not good.)(Just
kidding, nothing blows up.)

(In my recent experience, sometimes I have to refresh the page to see my new
edits.  I'm not sure if that's just for me, or if everyone has that experience.
Also, I think the website has a new release, since that happened.  So maybe
fixed?)

I'm not familiar with G+ but I guess all you would need is the URL of the
article, to link to it.  Right?

Well, at least maybe this is enough to get you started, until someone who knows
more comes along.

On Wed, 2018-09-19 at 21:12 +0100, C R wrote:
> Never done this before... Is there a way to publish markdown and
> pictures to a news story on the website? I can then link to it in a
> G+ press release.

Yes the wiki instructions are here:

https://gitlab.com/inkscape/inkscape-web/wikis/create-news

(although all the images seem to be the same image on my screen ...)

Am 19.09.2018 um 22:58 schrieb brynn:

> I don't think markdown is supported, but I'm not really positive.  I
> don't think it would hurt to try a line with markdown - see what
> happens.  You could use html if you wanted, (click the "Source" button
> in the editor).

- Yep, no markdown. Just WYSIWYG html editor with optional source mode,
as you say, Brynn.

> To add a picture, do CMS Plugins > Picture.

- That doesn't work in the news, they don't have CMS plugins. Just use
the image icon and link to an image in the gallery that you've uploaded
before.

> Don't click
> it again, but just wait.  (I forget what blows up if you click it twice,
> but apparently it's not good.)(Just kidding, nothing blows up.)

- Not for the news, at least... for CMS pages, you never know what will
happen.

I've checked your permissions, Chris, you should be able to post a news
article without problems.

Re: Inkscape Hackfest Summary - How do I make a new article on the Inkscape website?

Hi, thanks for the info. I've posted the article, but am having problems adding images.
I can't seem to find CMS Plugins > Picture

What am I missing? :)

-C

On Wed, Sep 19, 2018 at 9:58 PM brynn <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

doctormo
Ignore CMS Plugins, the news app isn't a part of the django-cms app.
They're two different things.

You need to upload your images into your gallery space on inkscape.org
(You can drag and drop if you have a lot) and then point the news
article at the preview images. (right click, get the image url) you
can use the small icon size, the larger view size or the original size
image when doing photos.

Best Regards, Martin Owens
On Thu, 20 Sep 2018 at 10:31, C R <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi, thanks for the info. I've posted the article, but am having problems adding images.
> I can't seem to find CMS Plugins > Picture
>
> What am I missing? :)
>
> -C
>

> On Wed, Sep 19, 2018 at 9:58 PM brynn <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Here's what I know about making a new News article on the website.  Go to the
>> News page, and click News > New news.... in the toolbar at the top.  After you
>> fill in the new page/article info, you get to the editor.  (I'm pretty sure you
>> need editor permissions before you can see that toolbar.)
>>
>> I don't think markdown is supported, but I'm not really positive.  I don't think
>> it would hurt to try a line with markdown - see what happens.  You could use
>> html if you wanted, (click the "Source" button in the editor).
>>
>> To add a picture, do CMS Plugins > Picture.
>>
>> Clicking Save button on the editor is sort of like a preview.  You'll see your
>> edits on the page, but no one else will see them, until you click Publish in the
>> toolbar at the top (top-right corner).  Sometimes the first Publish takes
>> several seconds (maybe a minute).  Don't click it again, but just wait.  (I
>> forget what blows up if you click it twice, but apparently it's not good.)(Just
>> kidding, nothing blows up.)
>>
>> (In my recent experience, sometimes I have to refresh the page to see my new
>> edits.  I'm not sure if that's just for me, or if everyone has that experience.
>> Also, I think the website has a new release, since that happened.  So maybe
>> fixed?)
>>
>> I'm not familiar with G+ but I guess all you would need is the URL of the
>> article, to link to it.  Right?
>>
>> Well, at least maybe this is enough to get you started, until someone who knows
>> more comes along.
>>
>> All best,
>> brynn

Jabier Arraiza
Great new CR
Thanks for live it!

Ignore CMS Plugins, the news app isn't a part of the django-cms app.
They're two different things.

You need to upload your images into your gallery space on inkscape.org
(You can drag and drop if you have a lot) and then point the news
article at the preview images. (right click, get the image url) you
can use the small icon size, the larger view size or the original size
image when doing photos.

Best Regards, Martin Owens
On Thu, 20 Sep 2018 at 10:31, C R <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi, thanks for the info. I've posted the article, but am having
> problems adding images.
> I can't seem to find CMS Plugins > Picture
>
> What am I missing? :)
>
> -C
>

> On Wed, Sep 19, 2018 at 9:58 PM brynn <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > Here's what I know about making a new News article on the
> > website.  Go to the
> > News page, and click News > New news.... in the toolbar at the
> > top.  After you
> > fill in the new page/article info, you get to the editor.  (I'm
> > pretty sure you
> > need editor permissions before you can see that toolbar.)
> >
> > I don't think markdown is supported, but I'm not really
> > positive.  I don't think
> > it would hurt to try a line with markdown - see what happens.  You
> > could use
> > html if you wanted, (click the "Source" button in the editor).
> >
> > To add a picture, do CMS Plugins > Picture.
> >
> > Clicking Save button on the editor is sort of like a
> > preview.  You'll see your
> > edits on the page, but no one else will see them, until you click
> > Publish in the
> > toolbar at the top (top-right corner).  Sometimes the first Publish
> > takes
> > several seconds (maybe a minute).  Don't click it again, but just
> > wait.  (I
> > forget what blows up if you click it twice, but apparently it's not
> > good.)(Just
> > kidding, nothing blows up.)
> >
> > (In my recent experience, sometimes I have to refresh the page to
> > see my new
> > edits.  I'm not sure if that's just for me, or if everyone has that
> > experience.
> > Also, I think the website has a new release, since that
> > happened.  So maybe
> > fixed?)
> >
> > I'm not familiar with G+ but I guess all you would need is the URL
> > of the
> > article, to link to it.  Right?
> >
> > Well, at least maybe this is enough to get you started, until
> > someone who knows
> > more comes along.
> >
> > All best,
> > brynn

You're welcome! :)
-C

On Thu, Sep 20, 2018 at 4:50 PM Jabier Arraiza <[hidden email]> wrote:
Great new CR
Thanks for live it!