Inkscape InstallFest, Sydney, late July.

Inkscape InstallFest, Sydney, late July.

Mark T-2
I am planning an installFest for late July here in Sydney.
We have a meet-space sponsor in the CBD.
I am thinking of limiting the attendance to a ration of Inkscape Coaches
to Inkscape Installees to 1:8.
Are there any Inkscape Coaches in Sydney who can attend and raise the
attendance limit?

Thanks to everything and everyone Inkscape!

Cya, MarkT

The Meetup is SVG-AU

Re: Inkscape InstallFest, Sydney, late July.

Martin Owens-2
On Thu, 2017-06-22 at 10:44 +1000, MarkT wrote:
> I am planning an installFest for late July here in Sydney.
> We have a meet-space sponsor in the CBD.
> I am thinking of limiting the attendance to a ration of Inkscape
> Coaches
> to Inkscape Installees to 1:8.
> Are there any Inkscape Coaches in Sydney who can attend and raise the
> attendance limit?
>
> Thanks to everything and everyone Inkscape!

This would be good to get publicised more. Do you have a website or
link that can be shared for the event?

What are you installing at the fest? Just Inskcape or more?

What's the skill level you expect people? What platforms?

Re: Inkscape InstallFest, Sydney, late July.

Mark T-2
Hi Martin,
It's in the planning state.
So no web page yet.
Previous meeting has a page: https://govirtual.com.au/SVG-AU#NextMeeting

Announcement will be via the meetup group, IRC, mailing lists.

Skill level is entry, newbie or above.
Any platform. (Mac, Win, Lin)... any others?

Are you in Sydney?

MarkT

--
MarkTurner (+61 4) 0679 5734 :: https://plus.google.com/+MarkT ::
'Mutual Existence wins over Spooky Action At a Distance.'

On Thu, 2017-06-22 at 11:36 +1000, MarkT wrote:
> lists.
> Skill level is entry, newbie or above.
> Any platform. (Mac, Win, Lin)... any others?
>
> Are you in Sydney?

Unfortunately I'm in Boston, USA at the moment.

I was thinking that the event could be put to the G+ and twitter
outputs, because people in Sydney are going to be rarer I think.

But I'll wait for the webpage and then try and help you spread the
word.

Re: Inkscape InstallFest, Sydney, late July.

C R
Pardon my ignorance of this, but is it a compile-fest? Does just
installing Inkscape need a "fest"? :)
Just curious. Wondering if people find it hard enough to install
inkscape as to need any sort of help... or is it teaching new users
how to use Inkscape as well?

-C

On Thu, Jun 22, 2017 at 3:39 PM, Martin Owens <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Thu, 2017-06-22 at 11:36 +1000, MarkT wrote:
>> lists.
>> Skill level is entry, newbie or above.
>> Any platform. (Mac, Win, Lin)... any others?
>>
>> Are you in Sydney?
>
> Unfortunately I'm in Boston, USA at the moment.
>
> I was thinking that the event could be put to the G+ and twitter
> outputs, because people in Sydney are going to be rarer I think.
>
> But I'll wait for the webpage and then try and help you spread the
> word.

Re: Inkscape InstallFest, Sydney, late July.

Jean-François Paquin
Hi,

Wouldn't be time for Inkscape (in lighter version) to open directly in a web browser (HTML5) like some other SVG design tools ?
Ex. :

Thanks

__________
Merci d'utiliser mon courriel GGL de préférence.

Jean-François Paquin, ttp
École secondaire des Sources

Pardon my ignorance of this, but is it a compile-fest? Does just
installing Inkscape need a "fest"? :)
Just curious. Wondering if people find it hard enough to install
inkscape as to need any sort of help... or is it teaching new users
how to use Inkscape as well?

-C

On Thu, Jun 22, 2017 at 3:39 PM, Martin Owens <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On Thu, 2017-06-22 at 11:36 +1000, MarkT wrote:
>> lists.
>> Skill level is entry, newbie or above.
>> Any platform. (Mac, Win, Lin)... any others?
>>
>> Are you in Sydney?
>
> Unfortunately I'm in Boston, USA at the moment.
>
> I was thinking that the event could be put to the G+ and twitter
> outputs, because people in Sydney are going to be rarer I think.
>
> But I'll wait for the webpage and then try and help you spread the
> word.

Re: Inkscape InstallFest, Sydney, late July.

I'm curious what is an "installfest"?

Pardon my ignorance of this, but is it a compile-fest? Does just
installing Inkscape need a "fest"? :)
Just curious. Wondering if people find it hard enough to install
inkscape as to need any sort of help... or is it teaching new users
how to use Inkscape as well?

-C

On Thu, Jun 22, 2017 at 3:39 PM, Martin Owens <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Thu, 2017-06-22 at 11:36 +1000, MarkT wrote:
>> lists.
>> Skill level is entry, newbie or above.
>> Any platform. (Mac, Win, Lin)... any others?
>>
>> Are you in Sydney?
>
> Unfortunately I'm in Boston, USA at the moment.
>
> I was thinking that the event could be put to the G+ and twitter
> outputs, because people in Sydney are going to be rarer I think.
>
> But I'll wait for the webpage and then try and help you spread the
> word.

Re: Inkscape InstallFest, Sydney, late July.

No, it wouldn't. :)
There are quite enough things to fix in desktop Inkscape right now.

-C

On 22 Jun 2017 18:37, "Jean-François Paquin" <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,

Wouldn't be time for Inkscape (in lighter version) to open directly in a web browser (HTML5) like some other SVG design tools ?
Ex. :

Thanks

__________
Merci d'utiliser mon courriel GGL de préférence.

Jean-François Paquin, ttp
École secondaire des Sources

Pardon my ignorance of this, but is it a compile-fest? Does just
installing Inkscape need a "fest"? :)
Just curious. Wondering if people find it hard enough to install
inkscape as to need any sort of help... or is it teaching new users
how to use Inkscape as well?

-C

On Thu, Jun 22, 2017 at 3:39 PM, Martin Owens <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On Thu, 2017-06-22 at 11:36 +1000, MarkT wrote:
>> lists.
>> Skill level is entry, newbie or above.
>> Any platform. (Mac, Win, Lin)... any others?
>>
>> Are you in Sydney?
>
> Unfortunately I'm in Boston, USA at the moment.
>
> I was thinking that the event could be put to the G+ and twitter
> outputs, because people in Sydney are going to be rarer I think.
>
> But I'll wait for the webpage and then try and help you spread the
> word.

Re: Inkscape InstallFest, Sydney, late July.

Mark T-2
The SVG meetup group has around one hundred members.
SVG has had a slow burn-in to the web developers palette.
It is often used for icons and authoring logo's.
More significant graphics have been in the domain of Illustrator.
From what I can gather many of the group's members are
development-technically oriented, plenty busy.
SVG is a occasionally encountered by them.
Though as it's availability and use rises, a path of learning is useful.
It's easy to assume they will have Inkscape installed, being so useful
and easy to install.
Though SVG is a big learn.
So to festivalize the install hopefully humanizes the experience.
As the install is so easy I expect there to be time enough to do some
ice-breaker sessions on functions of Inkscape.
The aim is to significantly raise the percentage of installs and use in
the group.

MarkT

--
MarkTurner (+61 4) 0679 5734 :: https://plus.google.com/+MarkT ::
'Mutual Existence wins over Spooky Action At a Distance.'

Re: Inkscape InstallFest, Sydney, late July.

Brynn
Ok, thanks :-)

The SVG meetup group has around one hundred members.
SVG has had a slow burn-in to the web developers palette.
It is often used for icons and authoring logo's.
More significant graphics have been in the domain of Illustrator.
From what I can gather many of the group's members are

--
MarkTurner (+61 4) 0679 5734 :: https://plus.google.com/+MarkT ::
'Mutual Existence wins over Spooky Action At a Distance.'

Re: Inkscape InstallFest, Sydney, late July.

C R
A few quick thoughts:

Considering your target audience (web devs/designers), you probably
need to do these things to make sure they are happy with their
Inkscape experience:

1. Make sure they know the benefits of SVG
- A presentation showing why vector graphics are better to use for
logos, illustrations, etc. in today's ever-incresingly high-res world
(show the difference on high-res devices with pinch-zoom - most people
can do this on thier phones, just direct them to a web page you have
set up with a raster and vector logo side by side). Show them how svgs
can be scripted for advanced users (some animated demonstration is
probably enough, and a mention that SVG is an XML based file format)
2. Make sure they know the limitations of the current browser
implementations of SVG
- What works, what doesn't, and the workarounds.
3. Make sure they know the benefits of Inkscape vs Illustrator
regarding the above
- If most of your folks are coming from illustrator, any new software
package may be a hard sell due to the different interface, and time to
learn - make sure you have some walk-throughs that show how fast and
easy Inkscape is vs Illustrator.
4. Be ready to answer any questions that your presentation brings up -
get some of the group in in advance to ask questions, and have answers
prepared for the main group.
5. Obviously make sure that you've successfully installed Inkscape on
MacOS and Windows 7, 8 and 10. If you spend most of the time
struggling with install issues, it will convince people that it's not
worth the effort, and they will go back to Illustrator.

If you have questions, feel free to message me. I can probably help
with guidance, and some graphics for your presentations.

Maybe call it SVGFest or something. Looking around Installfests are
usually for things that take a lot of setup. Inkscape is already set
up (except for XQuarts on Mac, can be a little tricky).

My 2p.
-C

On Fri, Jun 23, 2017 at 2:57 AM, brynn <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Ok, thanks :-)
>
> -----Original Message----- From: MarkT Sent: Thursday, June 22, 2017 7:17 PM
> To: Inkscape User Community Subject: Re: [Inkscape-user] Inkscape
> InstallFest, Sydney, late July.
> Hi,
> The SVG meetup group has around one hundred members.
> SVG has had a slow burn-in to the web developers palette.
> It is often used for icons and authoring logo's.
> More significant graphics have been in the domain of Illustrator.
> From what I can gather many of the group's members are
> development-technically oriented, plenty busy.
> SVG is a occasionally encountered by them.
> Though as it's availability and use rises, a path of learning is useful.
> It's easy to assume they will have Inkscape installed, being so useful
> and easy to install.
> Though SVG is a big learn.
> So to festivalize the install hopefully humanizes the experience.
> As the install is so easy I expect there to be time enough to do some
> ice-breaker sessions on functions of Inkscape.
> The aim is to significantly raise the percentage of installs and use in
> the group.
>
> MarkT
>
> On 23/06/17 04:17, brynn wrote:
>>
>> I'm curious what is an "installfest"?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> brynn
>>
>> -----Original Message----- From: C R
>> Sent: Thursday, June 22, 2017 10:22 AM
>> To: Inkscape User Community
>> Cc: [hidden email]
>> Subject: Re: [Inkscape-user] Inkscape InstallFest, Sydney, late July.
>>
>> Pardon my ignorance of this, but is it a compile-fest? Does just
>> installing Inkscape need a "fest"? :)
>> Just curious. Wondering if people find it hard enough to install
>> inkscape as to need any sort of help... or is it teaching new users
>> how to use Inkscape as well?
>>

> --
> MarkTurner (+61 4) 0679 5734 :: https://plus.google.com/+MarkT ::
> 'Mutual Existence wins over Spooky Action At a Distance.'

Re: Inkscape InstallFest, Sydney, late July.

Mark T-2
Hi Chris,
Naming it an Inkscape Install-fest may imply difficulty.
Inkscape is astonishingly easy to install.
And let me say here that I've noticed Inkscape's reliability go to rock
solid in the recent years.
Is there a colour called 'impressed'?

So I'll adjust it to SVG Tooling Festival.
So far the graphics savvy mob are not appearing in SVG groups AFAIK.
They gravitate towards those with 'creative' in the description.
Looks like you're in the UK?
This is hazardous to real-time chats?

Cya, MarkT

On 23/06/17 17:12, C R wrote:
> A few quick thoughts:

Re: Inkscape InstallFest, Sydney, late July.

C R
Hi Mark. I suppose I don't quite understand your SVG group user base. :)
Is it possible to be in web development/design and not be familiar
with software tools to create graphics?
At any rate, the presentation should be good for newbies as well as
artists who are switching.
I suppose you could cater more to newcomers - Everyone should know the
difference between raster and vector graphics, and this is a good way
of spreading that awareness too.

Both groups would benefit from seeing some simple walk-throughs and
probably the beginners guide Elisa, Maren, and others in the Inkscape
docs team are polishing up at the moment.

Real time chat will be difficult for me the next few days mainly
because I'm scrambling about trying to prepare things for the Inkscape
Hackfest which is only days away now.

At any rate, I'd start by posting a checklist of what you would like
to show/teach in your SVGfest.
Installing is a good first presentation, and especially useful for
people on Macs, where there are extra steps.
How many team members do you have to help people at the fest?

Are you thinking of doing any fund-raising activities, or is this just
for information?
Might be a good opportunity to raise a bit of money for the project
with inkscape stickers etc.
If you are interested in this, let me know. I'll see about getting some to you.

Thanks for your hard work to promote SVG and Inkscape!

-C