Inkscape Use Case (Possibly atypical - print & digital for a martial arts association)

Inkscape Use Case (Possibly atypical - print & digital for a martial arts association)

Chris Tooley-2
Hello all,

I just wanted to chime in to let people know of my use case that might be atypical.

I have been volunteering for a non-profit martial arts organisation, the Canadian Iaido Association, for the past 18 years and I use and have used inkscape for a large variety of print & digital graphics for the association.

I think I started using Inkscape around 2005 or so - mostly for my own personal pet project images and graphics, but around 2010 or so I started to use Inkscape heavily for the Canadian Iaido Association.

Here is a small list of what I've made with Inkscape:

1) Certificates (something to give to students who pass grading as a memento for yearly seminars). This involves Japanese kanji, hiragana, and katakana - along with some raster graphics which were unavoidable. I have used a plugin to add print marks which I then send off to a printer to print - my workflow for this has been working flawlessly for about 3-4 years.  I export to PDF with some set values and I get really high quality printed certificates from a local print-shop.  I use a unicode Japanese hiragana font I found online and vertical text.  I have gotten many comments on how nice the certificates are.

2) Banners: one of which is ~15 feet long with Japanese text, English text, and our Canadian Iaido Association Mon (crest).  Each of these was sent to another local printer who printed the graphics directly onto vinyl.  We installed some grommets in the banner and we hang it and use it year after year for the seminar.

3) Graphics for our website: http://www.iaido.ca. All graphics on there beyond photos are created with inkscape - please don't judge the website! It was made in 2002! (It should be getting a new redesign in the near-ish future)

4) Tracing and converting an old raster image of the Canadian Iaido Association mon into a vector graphic (Worked great, converted the text to the proper fonts and was able to modify some Japanese kanji when our status in Japan changed)

Overall, I highly recommend Inkscape for vector graphics - it has been an utter lifesaver that has allowed us to have professional quality results with zero cost beyond my volunteer time.

I want to sincerely thank everyone who is involved in this project. In my opinion it's clearly a shining example of what the open source community can accomplish.

Sincerely,
Chris Tooley, 6Dan ZNIR (全日本居合道連盟)
Secretary Treasurer,
Canadian Iaido Association

Re: Inkscape Use Case (Possibly atypical - print & digital for a martial arts association)

C R
Thanks Chris!

It's motivating to get reviews like this!
Would you be willing to let us quote you and share parts of your story on our social media platforms?

Thanks for being such a prolific and active part of the Inkscape community!

I'd also like to echo the sentiment to everyone who works in the project (especially our amazing developers!)
Inkscape makes life as a graphic designer possible in the FLOSS world.

Thanks so much for taking the time to share your success story!

-C

On 8 Jun 2017 8:29 a.m., "Chris Tooley" <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Shlomi Fish
On Thu, 8 Jun 2017 00:25:33 -0700
Chris Tooley <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> I just wanted to chime in to let people know of my use case that might be
> atypical.
>
> I have been volunteering for a non-profit martial arts organisation, the
> Canadian Iaido Association, for the past 18 years and I use and have used
> inkscape for a large variety of print & digital graphics for the
> association.

Thanks for sharing your story, Chris! I'm glad you find Inkscape useful.

Emma Watson Factoids - http://shlom.in/emwatson-facts

Vizzini: He didn’t fall?! Inconceivable!
Inigo Montoya: You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you
think it means.
    — http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/The_Princess_Bride_%28film%29

On Thu, 2017-06-08 at 09:00 +0100, C R wrote:

> Thanks Chris!
>
> It's motivating to get reviews like this!
> Would you be willing to let us quote you and share parts of your
> story on our social media platforms?
>
> Thanks for being such a prolific and active part of the Inkscape
> community!
>
> I'd also like to echo the sentiment to everyone who works in the
> project (especially our amazing developers!)
> Inkscape makes life as a graphic designer possible in the FLOSS
> world.
>
> Thanks so much for taking the time to share your success story!

If it's ok, we can post stories like this to the website news. It's
great to share this kind of case with our users.

(although also a blog/planet on the website would be cool for this sort
of thing, talk to me in inkscape-devel)

Re: Inkscape Use Case (Possibly atypical - print & digital for a martial arts association)

Chris Tooley-2
Hello Everyone,

I am totally OK with using this for any Inkscape website news/stories/use cases or anything like that. Feel free to quote in part or in whole.  I'm also willing to offer any advice I can give if someone needs it - however the graphics I printed off are mainly black and white and images converted to CMYK palette in another program already.

Thanks again,
Chris Tooley