Inkscape freezing while adding grid.

Christophe Lebras
Hi,

Please excuse my bad English.

I have a problem with Inkscape since commit d6f2d85a (jemalloc cmake module)

When I add a grid in Inkscape (Document properties/Grids/New), inkscape freeze and I must kill it.

I’m under Arch Linux with jemalloc 5.0.1.
If i compile without jemalloc or with version 4.5.0, there is no freeze.

I reproduced the problem with openSuse tumbleweed but not with openSuse 42.1 and Ubuntu 17.04.

With debugger, I found that Inkscape freeze in method DocumentProperties::update_gridspage(), line 1291:

_grids_notebook.remove_page(-1);

and that it's related to RegisteredColorPicker widgets used in method newSpecificWidget() of classes CanvasXYGrid and CanvasAxonomGrid.

When i comment the code wich pack these widgets, there is no freeze.

Unfortunately, I did not succeed to go further with debugger (I get stuck with a call to g_object_unref).

I rewrite the code which manage grid properties without using Gtk:Manage and there is no freeze.

I will clean my code and do a merge request.

If anyone want to look at this problem, there is maybe a better solution.

Best regards,

Christophe

Re: Inkscape freezing while adding grid.

Maximilian Gaukler
Hi,

A similar freeze which only appears with jemalloc, and not on
Debian/Ubuntu, was reported as a regression in
https://bugs.launchpad.net/inkscape/+bug/1417470 , although AFAIK the
freeze is caused by jemalloc and not the patch in that bug.

Christophe, could you please try if that freeze also affects you? Just
run these two commands:

curl -L
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/inkscape/+bug/1417470/+attachment/4908832/+files/test.svg
 > test.svg

./bin/inkscape -z -D --file=test.svg --export-pdf=test.pdf --export-latex
# will freeze and not return if the bug happens.

If you get the error, a dockerfile or any working description on how to
compile Inkscape under the relevant distribution(s) would be extremely
helpful.

Thanks,

Max

Re: Inkscape freezing while adding grid.

Christophe Lebras
Hi,

I have done the test several times and it freezes almost all the time.

I'll try to make a dockerfile.

Best regards

Christophe

A similar freeze which only appears with jemalloc, and not on Debian/Ubuntu, was reported as a regression in https://bugs.launchpad.net/inkscape/+bug/1417470 , although AFAIK the freeze is caused by jemalloc and not the patch in that bug.

Christophe, could you please try if that freeze also affects you? Just run these two commands:

curl -L https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/inkscape/+bug/1417470/+attachment/4908832/+files/test.svg > test.svg

./bin/inkscape -z -D --file=test.svg --export-pdf=test.pdf --export-latex
# will freeze and not return if the bug happens.

If you get the error, a dockerfile or any working description on how to compile Inkscape under the relevant distribution(s) would be extremely helpful.

Thanks,

Max

Fwd: Inkscape freezing while adding grid.

Christophe Lebras