Inkscape on Mac

Rodney Little
I am a Designer and developer who works on Mac. How can I help with getting builds of Inkscape out for our loyal Mac users?

Rodney Little

Re: Inkscape on Mac

Marc Jeanmougin
Hi and welcome!

Basically, the areas that IMO need most help are (by order of
importance): compiling it and generating a dmg file that mac users can
use (for 0.92.3 if possible, and ideally automatically/ondemand for the
development (git) version [maybe using CPack if it's possible]);
documenting the process so that other people could do it in the future;
and by trying to figure out the gtk-mac-integration stuff (that i
supposed to make things look more native, iiuc) or the gtk-mac
bundler(that is supposed to bundle X without xquartz, iiuc)

We currently have some process setup for CI on mac with brew on
https://gitlab.com/inkscape/inkscape/blob/master/.gitlab-ci.yml#L35 and
if you have any questions that are not mac-specific I would be happy to
help, here or on IRC :)

--
Mc

On 04/29/2018 10:11 PM, Rodney Little wrote:

> I am a Designer and developer who works on Mac. How can I help with getting builds of Inkscape out for our loyal Mac users?
>
> Rodney Little

Re: Inkscape on Mac

Inkscape - Dev mailing list
Hi Rodney,
If you want to register at: https://teams.freecreatives.org and find the
public channel "Vectors - macOS" you'll see what has happened thus far
and where things have stalled. We need to find a better home for this
discussion in the official GitLab project, but for the time being that's
the best place to get started. Thanks for getting involved!

Ryan

On 04/29/2018 02:11 PM, Rodney Little wrote:

> I am a Designer and developer who works on Mac. How can I help with getting builds of Inkscape out for our loyal Mac users?
>
> Rodney Little

Re: Inkscape on Mac

Patrick Storz

The (public) developer mailing list is the best place for development-related questions and that's the place where the other discussion should have been directed to.

Maybe you should start copying the information you collected to a public channel where it's accessible by the community instead of requiring potential contributors to sign up just to follow the previous discussion? This way there's even a chance people could work together! As a matter of fact a colleague of mine was recently trying to build for mac, too, but hit some roadblocks - who knows if some of them could have been avoided or collectively solved if we knew about that discussion...).

I'm fine if we evaluate GitLab for some project-wide discussion in future, but you should be aware, that any discussion we have in some subgroups of the GitLab project might be just as hard to discover for the wider community (how is anybody supposed to know which sub-project contains the relevant info?). At least it's public, though...

Right now the officially documented communication channels are the mailing lists (and IRC for chat) - I'd prefer if we could stick to them for discussions that could be relevant to the wider community until we find a better solution (although I've yet to see the discussion on why we even want to drop our mailing list discussions while Ian is actively working on providing us with a future proof mailman setup [1]).

Regards,
Eduard

[1] https://gitlab.com/inkscape/infra/services/merge_requests/2

Am 30.04.2018 um 16:32 schrieb Ryan Gorley via Inkscape-devel:
Hi Rodney,
If you want to register at: https://teams.freecreatives.org and find the
public channel "Vectors - macOS" you'll see what has happened thus far
and where things have stalled. We need to find a better home for this
discussion in the official GitLab project, but for the time being that's
the best place to get started. Thanks for getting involved!

Ryan

On 04/29/2018 02:11 PM, Rodney Little wrote:
I am a Designer and developer who works on Mac. How can I help with getting builds of Inkscape out for our loyal Mac users?

Rodney Little

Re: Inkscape on Mac

Inkscape - Dev mailing list

I completely agree for all the reasons you've stated that the mailing list is the best place for these discussions to happen.

What I've heard of mailman, it sounds like it will make discussion on the mailing list more discoverable and easier to contribute to, which I think is a step in the right direction.

Ryan

On 04/30/2018 09:01 AM, Eduard Braun wrote:

[...]

Re: Communications, Was: Inkscape on Mac

Hi Eduard,

This is an important discussion to have.

For me it's a question of coherence, context and convenience. The three
Cs. Coherence is a factor of how well the platform integrates with the
whole community and how well cross breeding of ideas can happen.
Context is mostly important for developers, it's about how close the
conversation is to the code (for designers, it's about how close it is
to the graphics etc, etc) and convenience is the factor of how easily
accessible the platform is to ALL of the people who need to have a
voice in the discussion.

Some trade-off examples for us to consider; increasing convenience by
using mattermost decreases coherence and context for developer
questions like MacOSX packaging. Using GitLab improves context but may
harm coherence if people are put off or if there are multiple
subprojects, such as putting packaging in their own subprojects.

IRC actually has the least context, coherence and convenience of any
platform we're on. It's okish for support, and we've been running
meetings there for a long time, but it's got a lot of holes which I
believe may be worth demoting it as a blessed developer discussion
platform.

Launchpad for issues tracking was robbed of it's pro-context when we
moved to GitLab and it's now negative in all three factors. So we
really should move away from it except perhaps for issues relating to
Ubuntu packaging, which may still be useful if a bit decoherant.

We're at a point in the project where I think these questions are not
settled and there can be no fixed line about how the project /is/ run.
But this discussion is important to have so I hope we can spark the
discussion here.

Where do you think we should talk?

Best Regards, Martin Owens

On Mon, 2018-04-30 at 17:01 +0200, Eduard Braun wrote:

> The (public) developer mailing list is the best place for
> development-related questions and that's the place where the other
> discussion should have been directed to.
> Maybe you should start copying the information you collected to a
> public channel where it's accessible by the community instead of
> requiring potential contributors to sign up just to follow the
> previous discussion? This way there's even a chance people could work
> together! As a matter of fact a colleague of mine was recently trying
> to build for mac, too, but hit some roadblocks - who knows if some of
> them could have been avoided or collectively solved if we knew about
> that discussion...).
> I'm fine if we evaluate GitLab for some project-wide discussion in
> future, but you should be aware, that any discussion we have in some
> subgroups of the GitLab project might be just as hard to discover for
> the wider community (how is anybody supposed to know which sub-
> project contains the relevant info?). At least it's public, though...
> Right now the officially documented communication channels are the
> mailing lists (and IRC for chat) - I'd prefer if we could stick to
> them for discussions that could be relevant to the wider community
> until we find a better solution (although I've yet to see the
> discussion on why we even want to drop our mailing list discussions
> while Ian is actively working on providing us with a future proof
> mailman setup [1]).

Re: [Ienkscape-devel] Communications, Was: Inkscape on Mac

Jabier Arraiza
Hi all.

I feel good in IRC because languaje and think we beed select the
bugtraker wath give less work to mantain, live is short.

About Gitlab, is cool but is developer oriented. I think we need a more
social solution that vectors or feed all vector activity to a social
platform.

Best regards from Sevilla, smiles ;)

Rodney Little <[hidden email]>, [hidden email]
ourceforge.net
Subject: Re: [Inkscape-devel] Communications, Was: Inkscape on Mac
Date: Mon, 30 Apr 2018 11:49:00 -0400

Hi Eduard,