Inkscape silver foil stickers

C R
Black print on metal/silver foil.
Sample mockup:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/zfqj6th80lvvil1/inkscape_foil_sticker_sample.png?dl=1

Like it?

Re: Inkscape silver foil stickers

Inkscape - Dev mailing list
Awesome!

Ryan Gorley
Founder + Creative Director

https://dijt.co

On 01/20/2018 01:37 PM, C R wrote:

> Black print on metal/silver foil.
> Sample mockup:
>
> https://www.dropbox.com/s/zfqj6th80lvvil1/inkscape_foil_sticker_sample.png?dl=1
>
> Like it?
>
> -C

Re: Inkscape silver foil stickers

On Sat, 2018-01-20 at 20:37 +0000, C R wrote:
> Black print on metal/silver foil.
> Sample mockup:
>
> https://www.dropbox.com/s/zfqj6th80lvvil1/inkscape_foil_sticker_sampl
> e.png?dl=1
>
> Like it?

Love it!

Re: Inkscape silver foil stickers

"Pro Vector...." makes me think "vector friendly" rather than "professional
vector...."

Is it necessary to point out that it's a professional tool?  If so, maybe
"Vector Illustration Tools" dot "Pro, Free, & OpenSource" ?  Or else "Pro.
Vector...." ?

Just my 2 cents :-)

Re: Inkscape silver foil stickers

C R
imho Inkscape is a tool for professionals, and gives professional
results as one of the main goals of the project.
If we're going to shy away from using labels everyone is familiar
with, we will lose the advantage of that essential communication.

From the Inkscape home page: "Inkscape is a professional vector
graphics editor for Windows, Mac OS X and Linux. It's free and open
source."

-C

On Sun, Jan 21, 2018 at 10:11 AM, brynn <[hidden email]> wrote:

> "Pro Vector...." makes me think "vector friendly" rather than "professional
> vector...."
>
> Is it necessary to point out that it's a professional tool?  If so, maybe
> "Vector Illustration Tools" dot "Pro, Free, & OpenSource" ?  Or else "Pro.
> Vector...." ?
>
> Just my 2 cents :-)
> brynn
>
> -----Original Message----- From: C R
> Sent: Saturday, January 20, 2018 1:37 PM
> To: inkscape-devel
> Subject: [Inkscape-devel] Inkscape silver foil stickers
>

> Black print on metal/silver foil.
> Sample mockup:
>
> https://www.dropbox.com/s/zfqj6th80lvvil1/inkscape_foil_sticker_sample.png?dl=1
>
> Like it?
>
> -C

Re: Inkscape silver foil stickers

C R
Also, I had to shorten something. The font was getting diminutive! :)
-C

On Sun, Jan 21, 2018 at 1:53 PM, C R <[hidden email]> wrote:

> imho Inkscape is a tool for professionals, and gives professional
> results as one of the main goals of the project.
> If we're going to shy away from using labels everyone is familiar
> with, we will lose the advantage of that essential communication.
>
> From the Inkscape home page: "Inkscape is a professional vector
> graphics editor for Windows, Mac OS X and Linux. It's free and open
> source."
>
> -C
>

> On Sun, Jan 21, 2018 at 10:11 AM, brynn <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> "Pro Vector...." makes me think "vector friendly" rather than "professional
>> vector...."
>>
>> Is it necessary to point out that it's a professional tool?  If so, maybe
>> "Vector Illustration Tools" dot "Pro, Free, & OpenSource" ?  Or else "Pro.
>> Vector...." ?
>>
>> Just my 2 cents :-)
>> brynn
>>
>> -----Original Message----- From: C R
>> Sent: Saturday, January 20, 2018 1:37 PM
>> To: inkscape-devel
>> Subject: [Inkscape-devel] Inkscape silver foil stickers
>>

>> Black print on metal/silver foil.
>> Sample mockup:
>>
>> https://www.dropbox.com/s/zfqj6th80lvvil1/inkscape_foil_sticker_sample.png?dl=1
>>
>> Like it?
>>
>> -C

Re: Inkscape silver foil stickers

Miguel Lopez

If we’re going to brand ourself and bring credibility to ourself, the first thing is always to show that burden of the proof via what Inkscape can offer, and it does more to our branding if we can accurately represent our software. I don’t think Inkscape being a professional-level tool is an accurate description of what it does as Affinity Designer, and Adobe Illustrator has certain things that Inkscape is missing out on (CMYK, and in the case of Designer, easy non-destructive filtering system, and in both, Inkscape is missing out on multi-page support), but I believe Inkscape is like a extension to those softwares. Inkscape shape creation tools are way better than Illustrator, and Designer though it isn’t without weakness. Even layer manipulation with clipping/masking is far easier on Inkscape than it is on Illustrator or Designer. So, shortly, I think Inkscape branding should be based on pointing out issues with other vector graphic softwares, and how Inkscape can be used to streamline solution to problems with other vector graphic softwares. Some short lists of what I notice Inkscape is far better on.

  1. Manipulation of layers mask/clipping area with clones – Using clones as a masking/clipping area provides the benefit of ease of manipulation over transparency without making it totally inaccessible
  2. Group/Layer interchange system – The interchanging option of group layer provides easy manipulation of what inside group/layers, and you can also change between both to move items while still locking mask/clip in a location.
  3. Live Path Effect- No question about this being the most powerful feature on Inkscape, and there’s nothing like the flexibility of Inkscape LPE. I have yet come close to anything like live path effect within other softwares besides vector fill, and non-destructive Boolean operations.
  4. CAD support– Due to the very existence of Inkscape LPE, Inkscape can be used into aiding of making 2D renders of objects with the help of Krita/GIMP for coloring and shading, and can be used to aid into creation of objects before tracing it over with the use of CAD softwares. Furthermore, Inkscape has proper .dxf support.
  5. Clone support – This makes things a lot easier for some tasks that requires duplicate graphics of different scales, and enables some of the neat thing in 1, and 2

These are what we can use to support Inkscape being a great tool, and can be used to aid into professional graphics, and these are what I use Inkscape for.

imho Inkscape is a tool for professionals, and gives professional
results as one of the main goals of the project.
If we're going to shy away from using labels everyone is familiar
with, we will lose the advantage of that essential communication.

From the Inkscape home page: "Inkscape is a professional vector
graphics editor for Windows, Mac OS X and Linux. It's free and open
source."

-C

On Sun, Jan 21, 2018 at 10:11 AM, brynn <[hidden email]> wrote:
> "Pro Vector...." makes me think "vector friendly" rather than "professional
> vector...."
>
> Is it necessary to point out that it's a professional tool?  If so, maybe
> "Vector Illustration Tools" dot "Pro, Free, & OpenSource" ?  Or else "Pro.
> Vector...." ?
>
> Just my 2 cents :-)
> brynn
>
> -----Original Message----- From: C R
> Sent: Saturday, January 20, 2018 1:37 PM
> To: inkscape-devel
> Subject: [Inkscape-devel] Inkscape silver foil stickers
>

> Black print on metal/silver foil.
> Sample mockup:
>
> https://www.dropbox.com/s/zfqj6th80lvvil1/inkscape_foil_sticker_sample.png?dl=1
>
> Like it?
>
> -C

Re: Inkscape silver foil stickers

doctormo
On Mon, 2018-01-22 at 00:28 +0000, Miguel Lopez wrote:
> If we’re going to brand ourself and bring credibility to ourself, the
> first thing is always to show that burden of the proof via what
> Inkscape can offer, and it does more to our branding if we can
> accurately represent our software. I don’t think Inkscape being a
> professional-level tool

All we need is one person who has ever made money from doing something
in Inkscape. And I have :-)

Yes, yes, it's a really loose definition. Verging on meaningless. But
your profession may need different features from mine, so it's a
professional tool for me, and not for you. "Inkscape, professional
vector graphics editor for some, but not all, people" ;-)

> problems with other vector graphic softwares. Some short lists of
> what I notice Inkscape is far better on.

That's always going to be the case.

> These are what we can use to support Inkscape being a great tool, and
> can be used to aid into professional graphics, and these are what I
> use Inkscape for.

You've got a really great set of concepts for what you can use Inkscape
for. It'd be great to have an advertisment like page with graphics that
focus on these. (do we have this sort of page already?)

Re: Inkscape silver foil stickers

Maren Hachmann
Am 22.01.2018 um 02:00 schrieb Martin Owens:

> On Mon, 2018-01-22 at 00:28 +0000, Miguel Lopez wrote:
>> If we’re going to brand ourself and bring credibility to ourself, the
>> first thing is always to show that burden of the proof via what
>> Inkscape can offer, and it does more to our branding if we can
>> accurately represent our software. I don’t think Inkscape being a
>> professional-level tool
>
> All we need is one person who has ever made money from doing something
> in Inkscape. And I have :-)
>
> Yes, yes, it's a really loose definition. Verging on meaningless. But
> your profession may need different features from mine, so it's a
> professional tool for me, and not for you. "Inkscape, professional
> vector graphics editor for some, but not all, people" ;-)
>
>> problems with other vector graphic softwares. Some short lists of
>> what I notice Inkscape is far better on.
>
> That's always going to be the case.
>
>> These are what we can use to support Inkscape being a great tool, and
>> can be used to aid into professional graphics, and these are what I
>> use Inkscape for.
>
> You've got a really great set of concepts for what you can use Inkscape
> for. It'd be great to have an advertisment like page with graphics that
> focus on these. (do we have this sort of page already?)

https://inkscape.org/en/about/features/  and
https://inkscape.org/en/about/screenshots/

are probably the pages you mean. They're pretty dusty, Inkscape has
learnt many new tricks since they were written.

Re: Inkscape silver foil stickers

C R
I'd like to remind everyone that this is a sticker. lol
We will not be placing disclaimers on stickers that we hand out. as
the whole point is to draw in new users. If those users want to tell
us CMYK is a MUST, that's information we want to hear. The more people
who want it, the more likely the project will dedicate time to include
it in Inkscape options in some form.

I'm happy to put my extensive portfolio of posters, magazine adverts,
cards, package and product design, convention booths, billboards (some
of them animated), and web/digital designs up against any done with
illustrator/Designer/whatever.

Should Inkscape have better support for CMYK output and multipage?
Definitely, and it's likely coming as they have been major talking
points on the dev mailing list lately.

Does Inkscape need those things to be a professional tool? No, not at
all. No more than Illustrator or Designer needs to have all the
advantages of Inkscape to be a "professional" tool.
A professional tool is whatever is used by professionals to get the
job done. A professional makes most of their money doing the thing
that they are a professional at.

There are some sticking points, but nothing compared to what
Illustrator inflicted/inflicts upon users when I switched over, or
today with their user-hostile subscription requirements.

Disclaimer: I'm a full time graphic designer, and I make all my money
using Inkscape / GIMP / Scribus / Blender / Image Magick and
GhostScript for CMYK conversions. I am able to do all this on any
machine I want with zero cost using GNU/Linux Ubuntu. This leaves my
money and time free to help FOSS projects, which benefit the whole
world instead of the bottom line of just a few corporations.

My 2p.
-C

On Mon, Jan 22, 2018 at 1:33 AM, Maren Hachmann <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Am 22.01.2018 um 02:00 schrieb Martin Owens:
>> On Mon, 2018-01-22 at 00:28 +0000, Miguel Lopez wrote:
>>> If we’re going to brand ourself and bring credibility to ourself, the
>>> first thing is always to show that burden of the proof via what
>>> Inkscape can offer, and it does more to our branding if we can
>>> accurately represent our software. I don’t think Inkscape being a
>>> professional-level tool
>>
>> All we need is one person who has ever made money from doing something
>> in Inkscape. And I have :-)
>>
>> Yes, yes, it's a really loose definition. Verging on meaningless. But
>> your profession may need different features from mine, so it's a
>> professional tool for me, and not for you. "Inkscape, professional
>> vector graphics editor for some, but not all, people" ;-)
>>
>>> problems with other vector graphic softwares. Some short lists of
>>> what I notice Inkscape is far better on.
>>
>> That's always going to be the case.
>>
>>> These are what we can use to support Inkscape being a great tool, and
>>> can be used to aid into professional graphics, and these are what I
>>> use Inkscape for.
>>
>> You've got a really great set of concepts for what you can use Inkscape
>> for. It'd be great to have an advertisment like page with graphics that
>> focus on these. (do we have this sort of page already?)
>
> https://inkscape.org/en/about/features/  and
> https://inkscape.org/en/about/screenshots/
>
> are probably the pages you mean. They're pretty dusty, Inkscape has
> learnt many new tricks since they were written.
>
> Maren
>

>> Best Regards, Martin Owens

Re: Inkscape silver foil stickers

Inkscape - Dev mailing list
I can understand the concerns, I do personally consider it a
professional application for the same reasons as Chris, I use it
everyday for my profession. With the limited distribution of the
stickers, I don't think we need to stress too much if a few people don't
agree with us. I would be proud the pass these along, and hope I can get
some for the SCaLE conference in early March. :)

Ryan Gorley
Founder + Creative Director

https://dijt.co

On 01/22/2018 06:16 AM, C R wrote:

> I'd like to remind everyone that this is a sticker. lol
> We will not be placing disclaimers on stickers that we hand out. as
> the whole point is to draw in new users. If those users want to tell
> us CMYK is a MUST, that's information we want to hear. The more people
> who want it, the more likely the project will dedicate time to include
> it in Inkscape options in some form.
>
> I'm happy to put my extensive portfolio of posters, magazine adverts,
> cards, package and product design, convention booths, billboards (some
> of them animated), and web/digital designs up against any done with
> illustrator/Designer/whatever.
>
> Should Inkscape have better support for CMYK output and multipage?
> Definitely, and it's likely coming as they have been major talking
> points on the dev mailing list lately.
>
> Does Inkscape need those things to be a professional tool? No, not at
> all. No more than Illustrator or Designer needs to have all the
> advantages of Inkscape to be a "professional" tool.
> A professional tool is whatever is used by professionals to get the
> job done. A professional makes most of their money doing the thing
> that they are a professional at.
>
> There are some sticking points, but nothing compared to what
> Illustrator inflicted/inflicts upon users when I switched over, or
> today with their user-hostile subscription requirements.
>
> Disclaimer: I'm a full time graphic designer, and I make all my money
> using Inkscape / GIMP / Scribus / Blender / Image Magick and
> GhostScript for CMYK conversions. I am able to do all this on any
> machine I want with zero cost using GNU/Linux Ubuntu. This leaves my
> money and time free to help FOSS projects, which benefit the whole
> world instead of the bottom line of just a few corporations.
>
> My 2p.
> -C
>

> On Mon, Jan 22, 2018 at 1:33 AM, Maren Hachmann <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> All we need is one person who has ever made money from doing something
>>> in Inkscape. And I have :-)
>>>
>>> Yes, yes, it's a really loose definition. Verging on meaningless. But
>>> your profession may need different features from mine, so it's a
>>> professional tool for me, and not for you. "Inkscape, professional
>>> vector graphics editor for some, but not all, people" ;-)

>>> That's always going to be the case.

>>> You've got a really great set of concepts for what you can use Inkscape
>>> for. It'd be great to have an advertisment like page with graphics that
>>> focus on these. (do we have this sort of page already?)
>> https://inkscape.org/en/about/features/  and
>> https://inkscape.org/en/about/screenshots/
>>
>> are probably the pages you mean. They're pretty dusty, Inkscape has
>> learnt many new tricks since they were written.
>>
>> Maren
>>

>>> Best Regards, Martin Owens

Re: Inkscape silver foil stickers

I didn't say it wasn't a professional tool.

What I questioned was whether it's necessary to specifically call it a
professional tool, on a very small graphic, where "professional" won't fit, and
"pro" can be misunderstood, in the way it's used.

It seems like you want buttons or stickers to be easy to understand without
thinking about it too much.  I had to stop and think about it.  I thought,
Inkscape is much more than a vector friendly program.  What does it really mean?

Just sharing my impression.

imho Inkscape is a tool for professionals, and gives professional
results as one of the main goals of the project.
If we're going to shy away from using labels everyone is familiar
with, we will lose the advantage of that essential communication.

From the Inkscape home page: "Inkscape is a professional vector
graphics editor for Windows, Mac OS X and Linux. It's free and open
source."

-C

On Sun, Jan 21, 2018 at 10:11 AM, brynn <[hidden email]> wrote:

> "Pro Vector...." makes me think "vector friendly" rather than "professional
> vector...."
>
> Is it necessary to point out that it's a professional tool?  If so, maybe
> "Vector Illustration Tools" dot "Pro, Free, & OpenSource" ?  Or else "Pro.
> Vector...." ?
>
> Just my 2 cents :-)
> brynn
>
> -----Original Message----- From: C R
> Sent: Saturday, January 20, 2018 1:37 PM
> To: inkscape-devel
> Subject: [Inkscape-devel] Inkscape silver foil stickers
>

> Black print on metal/silver foil.
> Sample mockup:
>
> https://www.dropbox.com/s/zfqj6th80lvvil1/inkscape_foil_sticker_sample.png?dl=1
>
> Like it?
>
> -C

Re: Inkscape silver foil stickers

To me "professional" should be used where there's room for it.  Shortening it to
"pro" and squeezing it in on a very small graphic comes across as "puffing" to
me.

To me, Inkscape should be able to stand on it's own, and not need its users or
developers to over-sell it.  Geez, just be proud to be Inkscape, you know?

But that's really a second thought.  My original thought was "wait, Inkscape is
much more than just "vector friendly".  Again, just my impression.

imho Inkscape is a tool for professionals, and gives professional
results as one of the main goals of the project.
If we're going to shy away from using labels everyone is familiar
with, we will lose the advantage of that essential communication.

From the Inkscape home page: "Inkscape is a professional vector