Interface > Theme Preferences

Marién Soria
Hi there!
I have finally tested Jabier's work, everything works fine!
I designed a new information architecture for that area. There are two file in this email: one is the analysis and the other is a proposal.
Let me know what you think and if there are something that is not possible to do.

proposal_interface_theme_panel.png (116K) Download Attachment
analysis_interface_theme_panel.png (195K) Download Attachment

Re: Interface > Theme Preferences

Jabier Arraiza

Hi Mare. Great work.

On Fri, 2018-07-27 at 00:26 -0300, Marién Soria wrote:

> Hi there!
> I have finally tested Jabier's work, everything works fine!
> I designed a new information architecture for that area. There are
> two file in this email: one is the analysis and the other is a
> proposal.
> Let me know what you think and if there are something that is not
> possible to do.

Re: Interface > Theme Preferences

Victor Westmann
Hi Mare,

Looks really nice. Really really nice.

I am glad we are giving a face lift in inkscape. We will rejuvenate at least 10 years! Lol

On Fri, Jul 27, 2018, 1:47 PM Jabier Arraiza, <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi Mare. Great work.

On Fri, 2018-07-27 at 00:26 -0300, Marién Soria wrote:
> Hi there!
> I have finally tested Jabier's work, everything works fine!
> I designed a new information architecture for that area. There are
> two file in this email: one is the analysis and the other is a
> proposal.
> Let me know what you think and if there are something that is not
> possible to do.

Re: Interface > Theme Preferences

Marién Soria

Thanks for the feedback guys!

El 19:13 Vie Jul 27, 2018, Victor Westmann <[hidden email]> escribió:
Hi Mare,

Looks really nice. Really really nice.

I am glad we are giving a face lift in inkscape. We will rejuvenate at least 10 years! Lol

On Fri, Jul 27, 2018, 1:47 PM Jabier Arraiza, <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi Mare. Great work.

On Fri, 2018-07-27 at 00:26 -0300, Marién Soria wrote:
> Hi there!
> I have finally tested Jabier's work, everything works fine!
> I designed a new information architecture for that area. There are
> two file in this email: one is the analysis and the other is a
> proposal.
> Let me know what you think and if there are something that is not
> possible to do.

Re: Interface > Theme Preferences

Jabier Arraiza
The main problem with your proposal is we can't force the widget (controls) styles because is defined by the gtk theme the user has active. To get a favor oficina unified style I'm in favour of ship with inkscape a custom gtktheme called inkscape or default and maybe set it as default, the user can change it if prefer others flawors. You can join your efforts with a gtk theme designer (mostly CSS work) or we can do a contest for it and ship the 3 winners

Enviado desde TypeApp
En 28 jul. 2018, en 0:31, "Marién Soria" <[hidden email]@gmail.com target=_blank>marien.soria.ar@gmail.com> escribió:

Thanks for the feedback guys!

El 19:13 Vie Jul 27, 2018, Victor Westmann < [hidden email]> escribió:
Hi Mare,

Looks really nice. Really really nice.

I am glad we are giving a face lift in inkscape. We will rejuvenate at least 10 years! Lol

On Fri, Jul 27, 2018, 1:47 PM Jabier Arraiza, < [hidden email]> wrote:

Hi Mare. Great work.

On Fri, 2018-07-27 at 00:26 -0300, Marién Soria wrote:
> Hi there!
> I have finally tested Jabier's work, everything works fine!
> I designed a new information architecture for that area. There are
> two file in this email: one is the analysis and the other is a
> proposal.
> Let me know what you think and if there are something that is not
> possible to do.

Re: Interface > Theme Preferences

Xaviju Julián
For UI/UX designs the GTK design team has some interesting guidelines here: https://developer.gnome.org/hig/stable/
There is a repo in Gitlab with basically all GTK items here available for GTK mockups: https://gitlab.gnome.org/Community/Design/

Please correct me if I am wrong: in GTK there are standard widgets (dropdown, radio buttons) that, depending on the GTK theme the user has on their OS, have different styles. Using the standard widgets is probably the most straightforward way to develop a new feature without specific design development.

Not sure if too crazy because it changes a lot of stuff in the UI, please get it as an example of how this settings might look following the GTK design principles. I've mixed the current work of Marién with the comments of Jabier and the work of the gnome design team. Sorry if its not correct, I made it really fast.

I've used a standard settings mockup, couldn't find the dark one, but I think is ok.

theme_settings.png

I've also attached the SVG if useful
Thanks for this work, is really useful :)

theme.svg (782K) Download Attachment

Re: Interface > Theme Preferences

Marién Soria
For me, the most important thing now is modify the information architecture to improve user experience. Them, with time, we can work on the style.
I like your work Xaviju!

El sáb., 28 de jul. de 2018 a la(s) 15:49, Xaviju Julián ([hidden email]) escribió:
For UI/UX designs the GTK design team has some interesting guidelines here: https://developer.gnome.org/hig/stable/
There is a repo in Gitlab with basically all GTK items here available for GTK mockups: https://gitlab.gnome.org/Community/Design/

Please correct me if I am wrong: in GTK there are standard widgets (dropdown, radio buttons) that, depending on the GTK theme the user has on their OS, have different styles. Using the standard widgets is probably the most straightforward way to develop a new feature without specific design development.

Not sure if too crazy because it changes a lot of stuff in the UI, please get it as an example of how this settings might look following the GTK design principles. I've mixed the current work of Marién with the comments of Jabier and the work of the gnome design team. Sorry if its not correct, I made it really fast.

I've used a standard settings mockup, couldn't find the dark one, but I think is ok.

theme_settings.png

I've also attached the SVG if useful
Thanks for this work, is really useful :)

On Sat, Jul 28, 2018 at 8:05 PM Jabier Arraiza <[hidden email]> wrote:
The main problem with your proposal is we can't force the widget (controls) styles because is defined by the gtk theme the user has active. To get a favor oficina unified style I'm in favour of ship with inkscape a custom gtktheme called inkscape or default and maybe set it as default, the user can change it if prefer others flawors. You can join your efforts with a gtk theme designer (mostly CSS work) or we can do a contest for it and ship the 3 winners

Enviado desde TypeApp
En 28 jul. 2018, en 0:31, "Marién Soria" <[hidden email]@gmail.com target=_blank>marien.soria.ar@gmail.com> escribió:

Thanks for the feedback guys!

El 19:13 Vie Jul 27, 2018, Victor Westmann < [hidden email]> escribió:
Hi Mare,

Looks really nice. Really really nice.

I am glad we are giving a face lift in inkscape. We will rejuvenate at least 10 years! Lol

On Fri, Jul 27, 2018, 1:47 PM Jabier Arraiza, < [hidden email]> wrote:

Hi Mare. Great work.

On Fri, 2018-07-27 at 00:26 -0300, Marién Soria wrote:
> Hi there!
> I have finally tested Jabier's work, everything works fine!
> I designed a new information architecture for that area. There are
> two file in this email: one is the analysis and the other is a
> proposal.
> Let me know what you think and if there are something that is not
> possible to do.

Re: Interface > Theme Preferences

Victor Westmann
All of this in a dark theme/colors will look, definitely, really sexy!

--Victor Westmann

On Sat, Jul 28, 2018 at 11:58 AM, Marién Soria <[hidden email]> wrote:
For me, the most important thing now is modify the information architecture to improve user experience. Them, with time, we can work on the style.
I like your work Xaviju!

El sáb., 28 de jul. de 2018 a la(s) 15:49, Xaviju Julián ([hidden email]) escribió:
For UI/UX designs the GTK design team has some interesting guidelines here: https://developer.gnome.org/hig/stable/
There is a repo in Gitlab with basically all GTK items here available for GTK mockups: https://gitlab.gnome.org/Community/Design/

Please correct me if I am wrong: in GTK there are standard widgets (dropdown, radio buttons) that, depending on the GTK theme the user has on their OS, have different styles. Using the standard widgets is probably the most straightforward way to develop a new feature without specific design development.

Not sure if too crazy because it changes a lot of stuff in the UI, please get it as an example of how this settings might look following the GTK design principles. I've mixed the current work of Marién with the comments of Jabier and the work of the gnome design team. Sorry if its not correct, I made it really fast.

I've used a standard settings mockup, couldn't find the dark one, but I think is ok.

theme_settings.png

I've also attached the SVG if useful
Thanks for this work, is really useful :)

On Sat, Jul 28, 2018 at 8:05 PM Jabier Arraiza <[hidden email]> wrote:
The main problem with your proposal is we can't force the widget (controls) styles because is defined by the gtk theme the user has active. To get a favor oficina unified style I'm in favour of ship with inkscape a custom gtktheme called inkscape or default and maybe set it as default, the user can change it if prefer others flawors. You can join your efforts with a gtk theme designer (mostly CSS work) or we can do a contest for it and ship the 3 winners

Enviado desde TypeApp
En 28 jul. 2018, en 0:31, "Marién Soria" <[hidden email]@gmail.com target=_blank>marien.soria.ar@gmail.com> escribió:

Thanks for the feedback guys!

El 19:13 Vie Jul 27, 2018, Victor Westmann < [hidden email]> escribió:
Hi Mare,

Looks really nice. Really really nice.

I am glad we are giving a face lift in inkscape. We will rejuvenate at least 10 years! Lol

On Fri, Jul 27, 2018, 1:47 PM Jabier Arraiza, < [hidden email]> wrote:

Hi Mare. Great work.

On Fri, 2018-07-27 at 00:26 -0300, Marién Soria wrote:
> Hi there!
> I have finally tested Jabier's work, everything works fine!
> I designed a new information architecture for that area. There are
> two file in this email: one is the analysis and the other is a
> proposal.
> Let me know what you think and if there are something that is not
> possible to do.

Re: Interface > Theme Preferences

You can change the look of all controls of a app with a GTK Theme as I
think you know (for example to look similar to Mare widgets proposal).

For this reason the creation of a GTKTheme for inkscape maybe is a good
idea to unify the interface controls between OS/Distributions/User
Settings. I like standar GTKWidgets but maybe we need a more
personalized ones, personaliced a bit or more.

Currently we are using also a style.css file to fit some widgets. Maybe
we can do the whole in a inkscape GtkTheme

We can setup it as base, and let the user change if want.

The other changes not related to style pointed from Mare needs a lot of
work because need be done in the whole preferences dialog (and the
whole app), is a long task to design all tabs and a lot of more work
get into code to fit them.

Regards, Jabier.

On Sat, 2018-07-28 at 20:49 +0200, Xaviju Julián wrote:

> For UI/UX designs the GTK design team has some interesting guidelines
> here: https://developer.gnome.org/hig/stable/
> There is a repo in Gitlab with basically all GTK items here available
> for GTK mockups: https://gitlab.gnome.org/Community/Design/
>
> Please correct me if I am wrong: in GTK there are standard widgets
> (dropdown, radio buttons) that, depending on the GTK theme the user
> has on their OS, have different styles. Using the standard widgets is
> probably the most straightforward way to develop a new feature
> without specific design development.
>
> Not sure if too crazy because it changes a lot of stuff in the UI,
> please get it as an example of how this settings might look following
> the GTK design principles. I've mixed the current work of Marién with
> the comments of Jabier and the work of the gnome design team. Sorry
> if its not correct, I made it really fast.
>
> I've used a standard settings mockup, couldn't find the dark one, but
> I think is ok.
>

> I've also attached the SVG if useful
> Thanks for this work, is really useful :)
>

> On Sat, Jul 28, 2018 at 8:05 PM Jabier Arraiza <jabier.arraiza@marker
> .es> wrote:
> > The main problem with your proposal is we can't force the widget
> > (controls) styles because is defined by the gtk theme the user has
> > active. To get a favor oficina unified style I'm in favour of ship
> > with inkscape a custom gtktheme called inkscape or default and
> > maybe set it as default, the user can change it if prefer others
> > flawors. You can join your efforts with a gtk theme designer
> > (mostly CSS work) or we can do a contest for it and ship the 3
> > winners
> >
> > Enviado desde TypeApp
> > En 28 jul. 2018, en 0:31, "Marién Soria" <[hidden email]
> >  target=_blank>[hidden email]> escribió:
> > > Thanks for the feedback guys!

Re: Interface > Theme Preferences

Marién Soria
Ok guys! Step by step we will get all this done!

Hi,