Linebreacks: last and first word of lines are melting together

Linebreacks: last and first word of lines are melting together

Onsemeliot
I wonder if others experience the same behaviour:

I created a folder layout where I put the front and the back pages on
separate layers. I use text boxes with justified text and adapted the
letter-space in some lines in order to get more or less uniform text
blocks.

This seems to work fine on first glance. Unfortunately after saving and
opening the file again I end up with some lines where the last word of
the previous line fuses with the first word of the next line. This of
course messes up my line breaks. I can easily "repair" this by
inserting a space between those two words again but I have to look very
carefully to not miss any instance each time I open my file for
editing.

So far I couldn't figure out when exactly this happens. It could be
random but I suspect it happens when two lines with letter spacing
definitions follow after another. But it doesn't happen always to the
same lines.

I guess when saving and opening the XML code of the file gets
interpreted slightly different resulting in losing the space between
some words belonging to two different blocks of letter spacing. Maybe
it only occurs if both blocks do have the same value. I imagine there
is a clean-up that removes unnecessary tags losing spaces on the way.

I use Inkscape 0.92.1 r15371 on Debian GNU/Linux 9 (stretch) 64-bit
with standard GNOME 3 on a Technoethical T400s (which in fact is a
refurbished Lenovo T400s with Libreboot).

Thank you for any feedback,
Onsemeliot

Re: Linebreacks: last and first word of lines are melting together

Brynn
Hi Onsemeliot,
        I'm not sure if I can help you, because I don't clearly understand what
you're doing.  (I'm not clear what "folder layout" means.)  Would you be able to
share the SVG file with us?  You could upload it somewhere, and give us the
link.  I know a lot of people use file-sharing sites like dropbox, which I think
has a free trial.  And I know an image host https://imgh.us which accepts SVG
images (also free).  Or any place you like.  And give us the link :-)

Re: Linebreacks: last and first word of lines are melting together

Maren Hachmann
Just wanted to add that I experienced a similar issue with spaces
inserted at the end of a centered text line, to make that line keep some
space at the right, where a logo needed to be placed.
These spaces seem to be gone/ignored on loading the document again, but
they work as expected until the document is closed.

Possibly there's some cleanup going on, or there's a confusion between
the html way of reading spaces. Not sure if our space issues are related.

Maren

Am 10.09.2017 um 11:05 schrieb brynn:

> Hi Onsemeliot,
>        I'm not sure if I can help you, because I don't clearly
> understand what you're doing.  (I'm not clear what "folder layout"
> means.)  Would you be able to share the SVG file with us?  You could
> upload it somewhere, and give us the link.  I know a lot of people use
> file-sharing sites like dropbox, which I think has a free trial.  And I
> know an image host https://imgh.us which accepts SVG images (also
> free).  Or any place you like.  And give us the link :-)
>
> All best,
> brynn
>
> -----Original Message----- From: Onsemeliot
> Sent: Wednesday, September 06, 2017 11:59 PM
> To: [hidden email]
> Subject: [Inkscape-user] Linebreacks: last and first word of lines are
> melting together
>
> I wonder if others experience the same behaviour:
>
> I created a folder layout where I put the front and the back pages on
> separate layers. I use text boxes with justified text and adapted the
> letter-space in some lines in order to get more or less uniform text
> blocks.
>
> This seems to work fine on first glance. Unfortunately after saving and
> opening the file again I end up with some lines where the last word of
> the previous line fuses with the first word of the next line. This of
> course messes up my line breaks. I can easily "repair" this by
> inserting a space between those two words again but I have to look very
> carefully to not miss any instance each time I open my file for
> editing.
>
> So far I couldn't figure out when exactly this happens. It could be
> random but I suspect it happens when two lines with letter spacing
> definitions follow after another. But it doesn't happen always to the
> same lines.
>
> I guess when saving and opening the XML code of the file gets
> interpreted slightly different resulting in losing the space between
> some words belonging to two different blocks of letter spacing. Maybe
> it only occurs if both blocks do have the same value. I imagine there
> is a clean-up that removes unnecessary tags losing spaces on the way.
>
> I use Inkscape 0.92.1 r15371 on Debian GNU/Linux 9 (stretch) 64-bit
> with standard GNOME 3 on a Technoethical T400s (which in fact is a
> refurbished Lenovo T400s with Libreboot).
>
> Thank you for any feedback,
> Onsemeliot

Re: Linebreacks: last and first word of lines are melting together

Hi Onsemeliot,

You're also free to upload it to inkscape.org if it's below 10MB.

Best Regards, Martin Owens
Website Administrator