Location path for an imported figure

David Carrasco de Busturia
Dear All,

I am finding `
Inkscape` a really good tool for importing `PDF` or `EPS` scientific plots into a blank page, and then place arrows on top of the graphs, text, make scientific drawings assemble them in the desired location and then save as a unique PDF page that can then be included as a unique `figure` in a `latex` document.

Let's imagine an inkscape project that has assembled 10 plots, imported from these folders:

/path1/plot_1.pdf
/path2/plot_2.pdf
/path10/plot_10.pdf

We already know that in /path1/ there is also the python, gnuplot, etc source code that produces the PDF plot, for instance:

/path1/plot_1.py
/path2/plot_2.gnu
etc

Most of the times I need to continue working over the original PDF plots that I once imported into a inkscape project I made back in time. For example, change the scale and the title of the plots, and so on. In other words, I need to go to the original source code (gnuplot, python, etc) that produces those plots that have been assembled in the inkscape project.

In these situations, while having the nice inkscape project in the screen with all the plots 1 to 10, it is quite hard to remember where is the location of the original PDF plot.

As far as I am concerned, there is no option in the inkscape interface that allows you to know which is the original location path of the PDF plot that was once imported into the inkscape project.

The closest solution I could find is the following: every time I import a new PDF of EPS, I right click and and create a link which is basically a copy-paste of the location path of the figure.

This solution is quite tedious and most of the times one forgets to create the link. Once the image is imported, the next natural step is to resize it and locate in the desired place, and it is very easy to forget to create the link.

For instance, if this multi PDF plots assemble project was made in Latex, the location path of all the plots would be perfectly identified, i.e. in the `\includegraphics` line.

I was wondering if it is possible to check an option in the importing process that would allow to automatically write the location path of the figure somewhere. Or any other strategy that would automatically write the location path every time a plot is imported. Would this be difficult to implement ?

Thanks a lot for all your help,

All the best,
David

Re: Location path for an imported figure

Jabier Arraiza
Hi David.

¿Could you open a bug in launchpad?
Anyway, could be a problem about user data so need to be marked on
import as optional?

Regards, Jabier.

Re: Location path for an imported figure

David Carrasco de Busturia
Hi Jabier,

Thank you very much for your email.

All the best,
David

On 24 September 2018 at 11:52, Jabier Arraiza <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi David.

¿Could you open a bug in launchpad?
Anyway, could be a problem about user data so need to be marked on
import as optional?

Regards, Jabier.

Re: Location path for an imported figure

Jabier Arraiza
Thanks David!

wrote:

> Hi David.
>
> ¿Could you open a bug in launchpad?
> Anyway, could be a problem about user data so need to be marked on
> import as optional?
>
> Regards, Jabier.

You're more than welcome.

>> How to handle this and another embeded files? we need to ask to the user if want to include a description tag to the imported root element with the origin of the file?

Interesting... This has some connection to what I was thinking:

Suppose I want to import a pdf plot, e.g. figure.pdf.

I would do `File > Import`, and once the "PDF import Settings" menu pops up,
I was thinking on a simple "check option" that, when checked, it would automatically write the path of the imported figure (/home/user/path_to_the_figure/figure.pdf) directly onto the "Href" field under "Object attributes" (for instance, or in any other place).

Once the project is saved and closed, the user can re-open the project, do right click on the figure, click on "Link properties" and view the path for the imported figure in the "Href" field. Then go to that path and modify the gnuplot or python scripts that generate that plot.

Please let me know if there are other ideas.

Thanks David!

wrote:

> Hi David.
>
> ¿Could you open a bug in launchpad?
> Anyway, could be a problem about user data so need to be marked on
> import as optional?
>
> Regards, Jabier.

Yes that is, anyway we can use de description or maybe title tag, href
is wrong used.
For this actual comuinication is better use your bug instead mailing
list.

Regards.