Locking in Users, Was: Website Feedback

doctormo
Dear Erlönd Everaert,

I'm the Inkscape Website Administrator, I'm not a lawyer and you should
certainly seek legal council to get to know Free Software more and how
it can help you do what you want to do. I'm sending this to the greater
inkscape user community for feedback.

Inkscape is Free Software licensed under the General Public License
version 2. This comes with all the freedoms you need to present
Inkscape to your customers, but it also stops you from removing
Freedoms from your customers too. Everyone, you, your customers and
anyone else MUST continue to have access to the software and it's code.

This doesn't mean however that you couldn't present the most useful
template, even default template with logos and such to customers. You
can do that. But customers would be free to take your template apart
and extract their copyright/artwork from the template too.

My best advice, honestly, present your customers with the best
experience. Make it the most convenient and easiest to use without
making efforts to manipulate your customers into locking them in. Those
locks will stop more customers from using your company than you'll get
from stopping someone who goes with a competitor.

Of course as the company with the best Inkscape workflow all worked
out, your company will always be the most convenient place to have the
work done and our large community will always respect a manufacturer
that respects their customers.

Kind Regards, Martin Owens
One of many Inkscape contributors

On Mon, 2018-03-12 at 08:07 +0000, Anonymous User wrote:

> Dear,
>
> We would like to use your software. We still have some questions.
>
> We are looking for a software that our costumers can use to draw
> their patch panels and send them to us so we can make them. The only
> thing we want is a locked file where our logo will be visible so
> customers won't go to other companies. Is this possible and how?
>
> Met vriendelijke groet / With kind regards,
>
> Erlönd Everaert
> Employee at Livepower/AV-Maatwerk
> ______________________
> E-mail:             [hidden email]
> Mobile:           +32472197548
>

> https://www.linkedin.com/in/erlondeveraert
>

> LIVEPOWER BELGIUM

Re: Locking in Users, Was: Website Feedback

Brynn
Hello,
        I'm curious what kind of product is a "patch panel" which your customers
will be creating?  It's hard to think of ways to "lock in customers" without
understanding what the product is.

        Plus, I just like to learn about how people use Inkscape, in their work
or their hobby :-)