Love the symbolic icons with adjustable colour! - Here's how to make it better. ; )

Love the symbolic icons with adjustable colour! - Here's how to make it better. ; )

C R
I really love this new feature, and think that it's going to go over great with the community.

There is one bug: When "reload icons" button is pressed, the "Use Symbolic Icons" checkbox disappears when inkscape reloads, and requires switching to/from another preference section to restore that box.

Also, I recommend using the HSV colour picker as the default colour picker rather than RGB, because it's much easier to make adjustments to just the lightness of the icon without affecting the colour. I think we could do the user an additional favour of defaulting to a dark grey HSV(0,0,28) as the default for light themes, and light grey HSV(0,0,76) as default value for dark themes.

Thanks again to all who have made this possible. Very very cool, and helps to modernise the look of Inkscape substantially.

Re: Love the symbolic icons with adjustable colour! - Here's how to make it better. ; )

Maren Hachmann
Am 03.09.2018 um 18:43 schrieb C R:
> I really love this new feature, and think that it's going to go over
> great with the community.
>
> There is one bug: When "reload icons" button is pressed, the "Use
> Symbolic Icons" checkbox disappears when inkscape reloads, and requires
> switching to/from another preference section to restore that box.

- As far as I know, that option is only available for some icon themes,
but not for all. Do you see this vanishing for all or only just for a
specific icon theme?

> Also, I recommend using the HSV colour picker as the default colour
> picker rather than RGB, because it's much easier to make adjustments to
> just the lightness of the icon without affecting the colour. I think we
> could do the user an additional favour of defaulting to a dark grey
> HSV(0,0,28) as the default for light themes, and light grey HSV(0,0,76)
> as default value for dark themes.

- Those are good ideas! If I may add another wish: the color chooser
could also have an 'Accept' or 'Okay' button - as far as I remember, it
needs to be closed by clicking on the window decoration x.

Maren

> Thanks again to all who have made this possible. Very very cool, and
> helps to modernise the look of Inkscape substantially.
>
> -C

Re: Love the symbolic icons with adjustable colour! - Here's how to make it better. ; )

C R

- As far as I know, that option is only available for some icon themes,
but not for all. Do you see this vanishing for all or only just for a
specific icon theme?

It happens after you check the box... But why would the icon theme matter?

This is basically saying "toss out all icons in the theme and use these instead".

Am I assuming incorrectly?

-C

Am 03.09.2018 um 19:40 schrieb C R:

>     - As far as I know, that option is only available for some icon themes,
>     but not for all. Do you see this vanishing for all or only just for a
>     specific icon theme?
>

> It happens after you check the box... But why would the icon theme matter?
>
> This is basically saying "toss out all icons in the theme and use these
> instead".
>
> Am I assuming incorrectly?

- It uses the symbolic icons for the selected theme. So only if there
are symbolic icons for the theme, the option is available.

Look into /share/inkscape/icons/hicolor/ for your master install to see
there's a symbolic (i.e. color-able) set and a normal one for that icon set.

Maren

> -C
>

>     > Also, I recommend using the HSV colour picker as the default colour
>     > picker rather than RGB, because it's much easier to make
>     adjustments to
>     > just the lightness of the icon without affecting the colour. I
>     think we
>     > could do the user an additional favour of defaulting to a dark grey
>     > HSV(0,0,28) as the default for light themes, and light grey
>     HSV(0,0,76)
>     > as default value for dark themes.
>
>     - Those are good ideas! If I may add another wish: the color chooser
>     could also have an 'Accept' or 'Okay' button - as far as I remember, it
>     needs to be closed by clicking on the window decoration x.
>
>     Maren
>
>     > Thanks again to all who have made this possible. Very very cool, and
>     > helps to modernise the look of Inkscape substantially.
>     >
>     > -C
>     >
>     >
>     >
>     >
>     > [hidden email]
>     <mailto:[hidden email]>
>     > https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/inkscape-devel
>     >

Re: Love the symbolic icons with adjustable colour! - Here's how to make it better. ; )

Jabier Arraiza
Another cuestion, you have any icon folder in your inkscape home config
folder? this need to be updated if exist (user put it sometimes to
change some icons but by default it not exists)