Quantcast

Mac OS X Mountain Lion x86_64 packaging of 0.48.4

123

Mac OS X Mountain Lion x86_64 packaging of 0.48.4

Valerio Aimale
Hello,

I am not an official packager, but I was eager to have an updated
version of Inkscape for Mac OS X and I noticed that nobody is packaging
the new version.

I've packaged it for Mountain Lion and x86_64. It should be considered a
beta packaging. I've packaged from version 0.48+devel r12005

You can download it at:

https://rapidshare.com/files/3885726044/Inkscape_MountainLion_x86_64.dmg

The Mac Os X packaging infrastructure in the source tree is a bit
ancient. Things I've noticed:

- configure.ac uses syntax that is not conforming anymore with
autoconf/automake/authohear 1.13. Going forward that should be updated.
- the scripts osx-build.sh os-app.sh needs update for the newest Xcode
versions. they don't work out of the box.
- the dylib base relocation infrastructure needed to be rewritten
- the Platypus-derived ScriptExec executable might not be needed anymore
- in this version, the app bundle executes the sh script directly.

Features:

- The version I packaged runs gtk-2.0+quartz. It does not need
X11/Xquartz anymore to run. This is the direction GIMP has gone to as well.
- It uses the same theme as GIMP. I think it's a good consistency
decision, and it's the theme that looks best on Mtn Lion.

If somebody want to try and report problems, I'd appreciate it

Valerio

Re: Mac OS X Mountain Lion x86_64 packaging of 0.48.4

Josh Andler
That's not 0.48.4 that you packaged, that was from trunk. If you want
to try packaging 0.48.4 for Mountain Lion you should grab an official
release tarball such as
http://sourceforge.net/projects/inkscape/files/inkscape/0.48.4/inkscape-0.48.4.tar.bz2/download

Thanks for taking an interest in this. Hopefully someone who is more
familiar with our packaging on OSX could chime in and/or give
feedback.

Cheers,
Josh

On Thu, Jan 3, 2013 at 10:31 AM, Valerio Aimale <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I am not an official packager, but I was eager to have an updated
> version of Inkscape for Mac OS X and I noticed that nobody is packaging
> the new version.
>
> I've packaged it for Mountain Lion and x86_64. It should be considered a
> beta packaging. I've packaged from version 0.48+devel r12005
>
> You can download it at:
>
> https://rapidshare.com/files/3885726044/Inkscape_MountainLion_x86_64.dmg
>
> The Mac Os X packaging infrastructure in the source tree is a bit
> ancient. Things I've noticed:
>
> - configure.ac uses syntax that is not conforming anymore with
> autoconf/automake/authohear 1.13. Going forward that should be updated.
> - the scripts osx-build.sh os-app.sh needs update for the newest Xcode
> versions. they don't work out of the box.
> - the dylib base relocation infrastructure needed to be rewritten
> - the Platypus-derived ScriptExec executable might not be needed anymore
> - in this version, the app bundle executes the sh script directly.
>
> Features:
>
> - The version I packaged runs gtk-2.0+quartz. It does not need
> X11/Xquartz anymore to run. This is the direction GIMP has gone to as well.
> - It uses the same theme as GIMP. I think it's a good consistency
> decision, and it's the theme that looks best on Mtn Lion.
>
> If somebody want to try and report problems, I'd appreciate it
>
> Valerio

Re: Mac OS X Mountain Lion x86_64 packaging of 0.48.4

Valerio Aimale
Josh, thank I might have packaged a more advanced version? In any case
it was a test/beta packaging. The tarball you pointed at, has the sane
issues with mac packaging I encountered.

I will package that one.

V.

On 1/3/13 12:46 PM, Josh Andler wrote:

> That's not 0.48.4 that you packaged, that was from trunk. If you want
> to try packaging 0.48.4 for Mountain Lion you should grab an official
> release tarball such as
> http://sourceforge.net/projects/inkscape/files/inkscape/0.48.4/inkscape-0.48.4.tar.bz2/download
>
> Thanks for taking an interest in this. Hopefully someone who is more
> familiar with our packaging on OSX could chime in and/or give
> feedback.
>
> Cheers,
> Josh
>
> On Thu, Jan 3, 2013 at 10:31 AM, Valerio Aimale <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I am not an official packager, but I was eager to have an updated
>> version of Inkscape for Mac OS X and I noticed that nobody is packaging
>> the new version.
>>
>> I've packaged it for Mountain Lion and x86_64. It should be considered a
>> beta packaging. I've packaged from version 0.48+devel r12005
>>
>> You can download it at:
>>
>> https://rapidshare.com/files/3885726044/Inkscape_MountainLion_x86_64.dmg
>>
>> The Mac Os X packaging infrastructure in the source tree is a bit
>> ancient. Things I've noticed:
>>
>> - configure.ac uses syntax that is not conforming anymore with
>> autoconf/automake/authohear 1.13. Going forward that should be updated.
>> - the scripts osx-build.sh os-app.sh needs update for the newest Xcode
>> versions. they don't work out of the box.
>> - the dylib base relocation infrastructure needed to be rewritten
>> - the Platypus-derived ScriptExec executable might not be needed anymore
>> - in this version, the app bundle executes the sh script directly.
>>
>> Features:
>>
>> - The version I packaged runs gtk-2.0+quartz. It does not need
>> X11/Xquartz anymore to run. This is the direction GIMP has gone to as well.
>> - It uses the same theme as GIMP. I think it's a good consistency
>> decision, and it's the theme that looks best on Mtn Lion.
>>
>> If somebody want to try and report problems, I'd appreciate it
>>
>> Valerio

Re: Mac OS X Mountain Lion x86_64 packaging of 0.48.4

su_v
On 03/01/2013 19:31, Valerio Aimale wrote:

> I've packaged it for Mountain Lion and x86_64. It should be considered a
> beta packaging. I've packaged from version 0.48+devel r12005

Please note that 0.48+devel r12005 is not a stable or new "version" -
it's the current unstable development branch (for 0.49). Your package
should be clearly labeled as (unstable) development snapshot build.

The stable release branch (on which the latest bug-fix release 0.48.4 is
based on), is here:
<https://code.launchpad.net/~inkscape.dev/inkscape/RELEASE_0_48_BRANCH>
and the tarballs are hosted at sf.net as well as at launchpad.net.

> If somebody want to try and report problems, I'd appreciate it

Unfortunately, your app doesn't run on OS X Lion (to be expected if
built with MacPorts using default config [1]), and I can't test it, nor
really comment on it since no details about the actual packaging have
been shared.

If you could upload your changes to the packaging scripts as well as any
additional scripts (not sure how you packaged the python modules), this
would allow others (not using Mountain Lion yet) to test local packages...

You could for example push a new branch on launchpad.net, similar to the
one for this blueprint:
<https://blueprints.launchpad.net/inkscape/+spec/inkscape-quartz>
Branch:
<https://code.launchpad.net/~inkscape.dev/inkscape/dev-osx>

Or - if you are not familiar with bzr and launchpad - you could file a
new bug report and attach a diff to the report.

I'll add some quick initial comments below, based on the currently
available information about your package:

> The Mac Os X packaging infrastructure in the source tree is a bit
> ancient. Things I've noticed:
>
> - configure.ac uses syntax that is not conforming anymore with
> autoconf/automake/authohear 1.13. Going forward that should be updated.

- Bug #1094576 <https://bugs.launchpad.net/inkscape/+bug/1094576>
  “Patch for autogen.sh and configure.ac to support automake 1.13”

> - the scripts osx-build.sh os-app.sh needs update for the newest Xcode
> versions. they don't work out of the box.

Long-standing known issue ever since Snow Leopard was released (old src
requires SDK 10.4, among other things, uses deprecated features, not
ported to Cocoa, etc.).

I once tried to update it with minimal changes to make it at least build
on Lion (let alone work as expected), but the changes are likely to be
completely wrong (I don't know how to code in C/C++/Objective-C) ;)
<http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~suv-lp/+junk/inkscape-osxapp-stacked/revision/11559>

> - the dylib base relocation infrastructure needed to be rewritten

Not sure what issue you hit (some problems which made it fail for me had
been reported in bug #532765 “osx packaging: issues with fixlib() in
osx-app.sh”).

> - the Platypus-derived ScriptExec executable might not be needed anymore

Unless code is added to the binary inkscape itself (along with further
desktop integration), using a shell script as launcher will not support
any features of the dock and the native launch services - at least the
shell-launcher script from gtk-mac-bundler (gtk-osx) has these issues:

Bug #1045959 <https://bugs.launchpad.net/inkscape/+bug/1045959>
[inkscape-quartz] add DnD, 'Open with…' support for Dock & Finder icon

> - in this version, the app bundle executes the sh script directly.

Do extensions which themselves call inkscape on the commandline (e.g.
restack, or dimensions), work with this kind of bundle structure and
naming convention(s)?

> Features:
>
> - The version I packaged runs gtk-2.0+quartz. It does not need
> X11/Xquartz anymore to run. This is the direction GIMP has gone to as well.

Which version of GTK+ 2.24 is included in the bundle? If the latest
2.24.14, does it include the patches from
<https://trac.macports.org/ticket/37330>? Without those patches,
Inkscape and GIMP builds had been basically unusable for me (crash e.g.
whenever a text is highlighted in a text input box).

For me a major showstopper for releasing quartz-based packages of
Inkscape (at least based on the experience with my own builds on OS X
Lion) is
- Bug #1046068 <https://bugs.launchpad.net/inkscape/+bug/1046068>
 “Inkscape (GTK+/Quartz) calls output extensions or crashes when
quitting while clipboard not empty“
which tends to make Inkscape crash on quit, whenever the clipboard had
been used in the current session.

Another annoying clipboard-related crash with the Quartz backend of GTK+
seems to be fixed if using GTK+ 2.24 with the latest patches from the
git branch (I haven't updated the bug report yet, because MacPorts only
recently included at least two of the required fixes into the gtk2 port):
- Bug #528632 <https://bugs.launchpad.net/inkscape/+bug/528632>
  “GTK+/Quartz: crash in
Gtk::Editable_Class::set_selection_bounds_vfunc_callback (after
clipboard_unset(…) )”

> - It uses the same theme as GIMP. I think it's a good consistency
> decision, and it's the theme that looks best on Mtn Lion.

Adwaita GTK2 (from gnome-themes-standard 3.6.x) isn't bad either and
IMHO does integrate better with native OS X (at least on Lion),
including the look of the scrollbars. But that's a minor detail at this
point… ;)

Regards, V

[1] to quote Michael Wybrow on the same issue with Lion -> Snow Leopard:

On 1/3/13 1:04 PM, Jay Vaughan wrote:
>> Thanks for taking an interest in this. Hopefully someone who is more
>> familiar with our packaging on OSX could chime in and/or give
>> feedback.
> I'm not familiar, but I just wanted to say that I will instantly download and test the living daylights out of any attempt to bring a new, stable version of Inkscape to OSX .. so Valerio, consider me ready and waiting for your hard work, and: THANK YOU!
>
> j.

Jay,

thank you. you could trying testing the current version, though is from
trunk, while a produce a proper 0.48.4 installer.  Just to get an idea
of how it works for you.

Valerio

Re: Mac OS X Mountain Lion x86_64 packaging of 0.48.4

su_v
On 03/01/2013 19:31, Valerio Aimale wrote:

> The Mac Os X packaging infrastructure in the source tree is a bit
> ancient. Things I've noticed:
>
> - configure.ac uses syntax that is not conforming anymore with
> autoconf/automake/authohear 1.13. Going forward that should be updated.
> - the scripts osx-build.sh os-app.sh needs update for the newest Xcode
> versions. they don't work out of the box.
> - the dylib base relocation infrastructure needed to be rewritten
> - the Platypus-derived ScriptExec executable might not be needed anymore
> - in this version, the app bundle executes the sh script directly.
>
> Features:
>
> - The version I packaged runs gtk-2.0+quartz. It does not need
> X11/Xquartz anymore to run. This is the direction GIMP has gone to as well.
> - It uses the same theme as GIMP. I think it's a good consistency
> decision, and it's the theme that looks best on Mtn Lion.
>
> If somebody want to try and report problems, I'd appreciate it

A few other things I noticed while quickly browsing the content of the
package:

1) The large size of the app (~500 MB!) is to a large extent due to the
number of aspell dicts included in the bundle (size of
'Contents/Resources/share/aspell': ~300 MB).

IIRC configuring aspell with the relocatable self-contained osx app
never fully worked (unless one had the original installation (MacPorts
tree) of the build env on the local system still in place). Since your
app is huge, and the size of the included aspell dicts is larger than
everything else combined, it might be worth to do a local test first
with the build env moved out of the way, and with fresh preferences,
whether one can select any of those languages from inside Inkscape for
spellchecking e.g. depending on the UI language, or not. If not, I would
recommend to only include the standard aspell resources for English for
now, and maybe one additional language (it will reduce the size of the
download greatly). Once the packaging/configuration issue with aspell
has been solved, the project could then e.g. offer optional packages
with additional dicts for download.

Related bug report:
- Bug #396322 <https://bugs.launchpad.net/inkscape/+bug/396322>
  “Allow additional dictionaries for the spell checker on OS X”

2) AFAICT the port 'gdk-pixbuf2' used for creating the package did not
include an entry for SVG files via librsvg, see
 'Contents/Resources/etc/gtk-2.0/gdk-pixbuf.loaders'
Possible a bug (or intentional omission) in MacPorts' Portfile of
librsvg, I'm not sure (there was quite a mess and several updates IIRC
last year to resolve/prevent circular dependencies with librsvg and
gtk2). AFAIU this missing loader will prevent displaying SVG files
linked with an <image> tag (partially supported SVG feature in
Inkscape), see also comments #33 and below in this related bug report:

- Bug #168244 <https://bugs.launchpad.net/inkscape/+bug/168244>
  “[packaging] image tag does not find SVG source”

Regards, V

Re: Mac OS X Mountain Lion x86_64 packaging of 0.48.4

Valerio Aimale
~suv, thanks for the comments.

I've uploaded Inkscape-0.48.4-Lion-x86_64.dmg to

http://rapidshare.com/files/2708845162/Inkscape-0.48.4-Lion-x86_64.dmg

This is compiled from the 0.48.4 tarball with my modifications, launches
with ScriptExec; it has no aspell dictionaries but -en.

On 1/3/13 1:28 PM, ~suv wrote:

> On 03/01/2013 19:31, Valerio Aimale wrote:
>
> If you could upload your changes to the packaging scripts as well as
> any additional scripts (not sure how you packaged the python modules),
> this would allow others (not using Mountain Lion yet) to test local
> packages... You could for example push a new branch on launchpad.net,
> similar to the one for this blueprint:
> <https://blueprints.launchpad.net/inkscape/+spec/inkscape-quartz>
> Branch: <https://code.launchpad.net/~inkscape.dev/inkscape/dev-osx> Or
> - if you are not familiar with bzr and launchpad - you could file a
> new bug report and attach a diff to the report. I'll add some quick
> initial comments below, based on the currently available information
> about your package:
I'm creating a branch, but I'll need somebody to authorize me to join
the dev team in order to publish it under the ~inkscape/ team

>> - the Platypus-derived ScriptExec executable might not be needed anymore
> Unless code is added to the binary inkscape itself (along with further
> desktop integration), using a shell script as launcher will not support
> any features of the dock and the native launch services - at least the
> shell-launcher script from gtk-mac-bundler (gtk-osx) has these issues:
>
> Bug #1045959 <https://bugs.launchpad.net/inkscape/+bug/1045959>
> [inkscape-quartz] add DnD, 'Open with…' support for Dock & Finder icon
>
>> - in this version, the app bundle executes the sh script directly.
> Do extensions which themselves call inkscape on the commandline (e.g.
> restack, or dimensions), work with this kind of bundle structure and
> naming convention(s)?
I have a ScriptExec that works, however there are more problems.
Launching with ScriptExec, forks, instead of execve'ing the
inkscape-bin. This causes an extra, unsightly, icon to appear in the
dock. I don't particularly like it. And the extra icon can't be removed,
I tried every trick known to man. I think the way to go is what GIMP
does: the apple launcher launches a sh script that execve's
inkscape-bin. Launcher and UI integration should be done in the
executable not the launcher script.

>> Features:
>>
>> - The version I packaged runs gtk-2.0+quartz. It does not need
>> X11/Xquartz anymore to run. This is the direction GIMP has gone to as well.
> Which version of GTK+ 2.24 is included in the bundle? If the latest
> 2.24.14, does it include the patches from
> <https://trac.macports.org/ticket/37330>? Without those patches,
> Inkscape and GIMP builds had been basically unusable for me (crash e.g.
> whenever a text is highlighted in a text input box).
>
> For me a major showstopper for releasing quartz-based packages of
> Inkscape (at least based on the experience with my own builds on OS X
> Lion) is
> - Bug #1046068 <https://bugs.launchpad.net/inkscape/+bug/1046068>
>   “Inkscape (GTK+/Quartz) calls output extensions or crashes when
> quitting while clipboard not empty“
> which tends to make Inkscape crash on quit, whenever the clipboard had
> been used in the current session.
>
> Another annoying clipboard-related crash with the Quartz backend of GTK+
> seems to be fixed if using GTK+ 2.24 with the latest patches from the
> git branch (I haven't updated the bug report yet, because MacPorts only
> recently included at least two of the required fixes into the gtk2 port):
> - Bug #528632 <https://bugs.launchpad.net/inkscape/+bug/528632>
>    “GTK+/Quartz: crash in
> Gtk::Editable_Class::set_selection_bounds_vfunc_callback (after
> clipboard_unset(…) )”

That patch is already applied to gtk-2.0 that comes with MacPorts 2.1.2,
which is

gtk2 @2.24.14_1+no_x11+quartz (active)

However, inkscape still crashes when clicking in a text field. It might
be an inkscape problem. If I can run a debug version, I'll look into it.

>> - It uses the same theme as GIMP. I think it's a good consistency
>> decision, and it's the theme that looks best on Mtn Lion.
> Adwaita GTK2 (from gnome-themes-standard 3.6.x) isn't bad either and
> IMHO does integrate better with native OS X (at least on Lion),
> including the look of the scrollbars. But that's a minor detail at this
> point… ;)

For now, I'm compiling with murrine+Zukitwo+Mac themes. I think it's
trivial to change it later.

Valerio

On 04/01/2013 22:05, Valerio Aimale wrote:
> ~suv, thanks for the comments.

Thanks for jumping in and helping the project to provide OS X packages
again! Much appreciated :)

> This is compiled from the 0.48.4 tarball with my modifications, launches
> with ScriptExec; it has no aspell dictionaries but -en.
>
> On 1/3/13 1:28 PM, ~suv wrote:
>> On 03/01/2013 19:31, Valerio Aimale wrote:
>>
>> If you could upload your changes to the packaging scripts as well as
>> any additional scripts (not sure how you packaged the python modules),
>> this would allow others (not using Mountain Lion yet) to test local
>> packages... You could for example push a new branch on launchpad.net,
>> similar to the one for this blueprint:
>> <https://blueprints.launchpad.net/inkscape/+spec/inkscape-quartz>
>> Branch: <https://code.launchpad.net/~inkscape.dev/inkscape/dev-osx> Or
>> - if you are not familiar with bzr and launchpad - you could file a
>> new bug report and attach a diff to the report. I'll add some quick
>> initial comments below, based on the currently available information
>> about your package:
> I'm creating a branch, but I'll need somebody to authorize me to join
> the dev team in order to publish it under the ~inkscape/ team

For now, you can also push a personal branch of lp:inkscape, as
described here:
<https://help.launchpad.net/Code/UploadingABranch>

The ownership of the branch can be changed any time later on, once the
team membership has been settled, and only requires to be ~inkscape.dev
if others are to be allowed to commit to the same branch as well.

>>> - the Platypus-derived ScriptExec executable might not be needed anymore
>> Unless code is added to the binary inkscape itself (along with further
>> desktop integration), using a shell script as launcher will not support
>> any features of the dock and the native launch services - at least the
>> shell-launcher script from gtk-mac-bundler (gtk-osx) has these issues:
>>
>> Bug #1045959 <https://bugs.launchpad.net/inkscape/+bug/1045959>
>> [inkscape-quartz] add DnD, 'Open with…' support for Dock & Finder icon
>>
>>> - in this version, the app bundle executes the sh script directly.
>> Do extensions which themselves call inkscape on the commandline (e.g.
>> restack, or dimensions), work with this kind of bundle structure and
>> naming convention(s)?
> I have a ScriptExec that works, however there are more problems.
> Launching with ScriptExec, forks, instead of execve'ing the
> inkscape-bin. This causes an extra, unsightly, icon to appear in the
> dock. I don't particularly like it. And the extra icon can't be removed,

Ah, yes - I forgot about that, sorry (my regular local builds are not
"packaged"). ScriptExec as launcher works "ok" if the binary was built
with the X11-backend, but less so with Quartz-based builds.

> I tried every trick known to man. I think the way to go is what GIMP
> does: the apple launcher launches a sh script that execve's
> inkscape-bin. Launcher and UI integration should be done in the
> executable not the launcher script.

Agreed - any help would be appreciated to add support to the main
executable, similar to how GIMP or Darktable are doing it for the
Quartz-based packages…

>>> Features:
>>>
>>> - The version I packaged runs gtk-2.0+quartz. It does not need
>>> X11/Xquartz anymore to run. This is the direction GIMP has gone to as well.
>> Which version of GTK+ 2.24 is included in the bundle? If the latest
>> 2.24.14, does it include the patches from
>> <https://trac.macports.org/ticket/37330>? Without those patches,
>> Inkscape and GIMP builds had been basically unusable for me (crash e.g.
>> whenever a text is highlighted in a text input box).
>>
>> For me a major showstopper for releasing quartz-based packages of
>> Inkscape (at least based on the experience with my own builds on OS X
>> Lion) is
>> - Bug #1046068 <https://bugs.launchpad.net/inkscape/+bug/1046068>
>>   “Inkscape (GTK+/Quartz) calls output extensions or crashes when
>> quitting while clipboard not empty“
>> which tends to make Inkscape crash on quit, whenever the clipboard had
>> been used in the current session.
>>
>> Another annoying clipboard-related crash with the Quartz backend of GTK+
>> seems to be fixed if using GTK+ 2.24 with the latest patches from the
>> git branch (I haven't updated the bug report yet, because MacPorts only
>> recently included at least two of the required fixes into the gtk2 port):
>> - Bug #528632 <https://bugs.launchpad.net/inkscape/+bug/528632>
>>    “GTK+/Quartz: crash in
>> Gtk::Editable_Class::set_selection_bounds_vfunc_callback (after
>> clipboard_unset(…) )”
>>
> That patch is already applied to gtk-2.0 that comes with MacPorts 2.1.2,
> which is
>
> gtk2 @2.24.14_1+no_x11+quartz (active)
>
> However, inkscape still crashes when clicking in a text field. It might
> be an inkscape problem. If I can run a debug version, I'll look into it.

Odd. Works for me (with gtk-demo as well as current trunk builds,
inkscape 0.48.4 compiled via MacPorts, and local builds of the 0.48.x
branch) without triggering that crash, IIRC ever since I applied the
initial patch Mitch had committed quickly after I pinged him about the
issue with just-released 2.24.14:

<http://git.gnome.org/browse/gtk+/commit/?h=gtk-2-24&id=4a8df7a33c298d22bf78b947d0e861fc03ec70e1>

(at that time, the patch failed to build with clang, but was ok with
llvm-gcc-4.2.). The second related patch

<http://git.gnome.org/browse/gtk+/commit/?h=gtk-2-24&id=e3e055f8551ac8ee033f361261c849c612554184>

by parafin (who does the Mac packages of Darktable) then fixed that too,
so that building with clang worked again.
Maybe it requires the third clipboard-related patch as well?

<http://git.gnome.org/browse/gtk+/commit/?h=gtk-2-24&id=f1c105b94fc3c3572a234c93c47252a3ff82218b>

to produce more stable builds for you?

<off-topic>
I gave up long time ago to try to keep any of my custom MacPorts trees
up-to-date with upstream port versions all the time - it was way to
unstable to be used to continuously compile, compare and test e.g.
inkscape trunk builds. Currently my X11-based tree has stalled at about
the level of Ubuntu Precise (with regard to the version of the
dependencies Inkscape uses), and the Quartz-based tree is partially as
dated (libpng 1.4, boost 1.49), partially up-to-date (cairo, poppler),
and partially slightly ahead of upstream MacPorts versions…

My gtk2 (and gtk3) ports with Quartz backend use custom portfiles from a
local port repo, usually based on the latest upstream release and all
applicable patches from the git branch.
With regard to gtk2, this means that I'm using 2.24.14 + 14 patches
committed after the release, downloaded from the git branch:
<http://git.gnome.org/browse/gtk+/log/?h=gtk-2-24>

I'm a bit reluctant right now to revert them one by one in order to
confirm which ones are definitely required (on my system) for more
stable builds (reluctant because each update of gtk2 itself triggers
time-consuming rebuilds of the local inkscape branches, even if only
minor changes had been committed to the parent branch).
</off-topic>

>>> - It uses the same theme as GIMP. I think it's a good consistency
>>> decision, and it's the theme that looks best on Mtn Lion.
>> Adwaita GTK2 (from gnome-themes-standard 3.6.x) isn't bad either and
>> IMHO does integrate better with native OS X (at least on Lion),
>> including the look of the scrollbars. But that's a minor detail at this
>> point… ;)
>>
> For now, I'm compiling with murrine+Zukitwo+Mac themes. I think it's
> trivial to change it later.

Agreed :)

I'll add some questions / comments about the bundled python modules in a
separate reply tomorrow…

Regards, V

Re: Mac OS X Mountain Lion x86_64 packaging of 0.48.4

su_v
On 04/01/2013 22:05, Valerio Aimale wrote:
> ~suv, thanks for the comments.
>
> I've uploaded Inkscape-0.48.4-Lion-x86_64.dmg to

<snip>

> This is compiled from the 0.48.4 tarball with my modifications, launches
> with ScriptExec; it has no aspell dictionaries but -en.

Some comments about the bundled Python modules (Note: I can't test run
the app myself):

1) Python modules with dynamically linked shared libraries

The launcher script 'Resources/bin/inkscape' sets these env variables:

> # Put /usr/bin at beginning of path so we make sure we use Apple's python
> # over one that may be installed be Macports, Fink or some other means.
> export PATH="/usr/bin:$PATH"
>
> # On Snow Leopard, use the 32-bit version of python from Universal build.
> # This is because our bundled i386 python libraries are 32-bit only.
> export VERSIONER_PYTHON_VERSION=2.7
> export VERSIONER_PYTHON_PREFER_32_BIT=no
>

> # Setup PYTHONPATH to use python modules shipped with Inkscape
> export PYTHONPATH="$TOP/python/site-packages"
> # NB: we are only preprending some stuff to the default python path so if the directory does not exist it should not harm the rest
>
> # No longer required if path rewriting has been conducted.
> # export DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH="$TOP/lib"
combined with this:
> $ otool -L Resources/python/site-packages/lxml/etree.so
> Resources/python/site-packages/lxml/etree.so:
> /opt/local/macports-with-a-very-looooooooooooooooooooooooooong-name/lib/libxslt.1.dylib (compatibility version 3.0.0, current version 3.27.0)
> /opt/local/macports-with-a-very-looooooooooooooooooooooooooong-name/lib/libexslt.0.dylib (compatibility version 9.0.0, current version 9.16.0)
> /opt/local/macports-with-a-very-looooooooooooooooooooooooooong-name/lib/libxml2.2.dylib (compatibility version 11.0.0, current version 11.0.0)
> /opt/local/macports-with-a-very-looooooooooooooooooooooooooong-name/lib/libz.1.dylib (compatibility version 1.0.0, current version 1.2.7)
> /usr/lib/libSystem.B.dylib (compatibility version 1.0.0, current version 159.1.0)
> $

is (AFAIU) unlikely to work outside of your system, or as soon as that
MacPorts tree no longer exists under the current path.

Inkscape spawns the first 'python' found in $PATH (which is
/usr/bin/python), $DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH is not set (intentionally, consider
it "evil" ;-) ), and the python process is unlikely to find the linked
libraries (mainly libxslt, libexslt) installed into that specific
prefix, and fail to properly import modules like lxml.

Ever since Inkscape.app got rid of depending on $DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH to
find & load the bundled libs, included python modules with binary
components need to be built statically linked against the system python
version (unless alternatively a minimal functional (relocatable) python
installation is included in the app bundle). At least this was the
conclusion from bug #482993 [1].

Last fall, when I had tried to revive the X11-based packaging scripts on
Lion, I wrote a small script to locally compile & install the lxml
module for the system python version (2.7) with static dependencies into
the 'packaging/macosx/Resources' folder (to have it automatically be
added to the bundle when running osx-app.sh (called by osx-build.sh)).
<http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~suv-lp/+junk/inkscape-osxapp-stacked/view/head:/packaging/macosx/osx-lxml.sh>
IIRC extensions executed with the resulting Inkscape.app worked as
expected (using the system python 2.7 in 64bit mode) even after having
removed / renamed the current MacPorts tree, the build and install
directories for inkscape and lxml.

Please note: the script hasn't been updated since, wasn't thoroughly
tested (i.e. is likely to contain errors), and never was in any way
integrated into the existing sets of scripts (one needed to run first,
manually, before creating the rest of the app bundle). Maybe you can
make use of it nevertheless (the variables (lxml version) and paths will
need some tweaking - at the time I had also experimented with
simplifying/reorganizing the bundle structure slightly).

I'm also attaching a small python extension [2] which was useful to me
to test which version of python is spawned by Inkscape.app (this version
no longer depends on inkex.py and thus now works even if lxml cannot be
found. It reports the paths of the python binary and other information
about the environment as seen by the spawned python process).

2) Minimally required modules to be included

The python-based extensions shipping with Inkscape require all 'lxml',
and some additionally import numpy. 'lxml' needs to be bundled with
Inkscape.app, 'numpy' OTOH has been included by Apple for its system
python versions since Snow Leopard, and does not need to be included in
the app bundle anymore (this has been confirmed for Snow Leopard and
Lion, and is likely to also apply to Mountain Lion).

3) Just in case...

The packaging scripts may try to download an (outdated) DMG with
precompiled python modules from modevia.com: this file is no longer
hosted there. I have uploaded a copy to my DropBox account for now:
<http://dl.dropbox.com/u/65084033/devel/macosx/Python-packages.dmg>
though this would only be of interest when creating app bundles which
run on older versions of OS X (currently not the case).

Regards, V

[1] <https://bugs.launchpad.net/inkscape/+bug/482993>
    <https://bugs.launchpad.net/inkscape/+bug/482993/comments/6>
    <https://bugs.launchpad.net/inkscape/+bug/482993/comments/59>
[2] latest version also available here (py-info.{inx,py}):
<http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~suv-lp/+junk/inkscape-extensions/files/head:/debug/>

py-info.inx (746 bytes) Download Attachment
py-info.py (4K) Download Attachment

Re: Mac OS X Mountain Lion x86_64 packaging of 0.48.4

Victor / tokiop
Hi Valerio,

great to have a working build system and X11-independant ! It launches
well here (Lion / 10.7.5).

Didn't test it intensively, but quick feedback :
- no python "missing lxml" error while I have it on my current version
(the last mac official release I guess), great !
- few UI glitches but nothing problematic or inkscape-specific I guess:
   - redrawing lags a bit while resizing the window
   - clic-down and hovering on dropdown menus don't show hover state
   - the "detachable tool-panes can't be re-attached (?)

Please tell if you need specific testing..

Victor

On 06/01/2013 16:42, Victor / tokiop wrote:
> Hi Valerio,
>
> great to have a working build system and X11-independant ! It launches
> well here (Lion / 10.7.5).

My bad - it seems that I got fooled by an error message from gdb without
giving it a second thought:

> $ gdb ./bin/inkscape
> GNU gdb 6.3.50-20050815 (Apple version gdb-1752) (Sat Jan 28 03:02:46 UTC 2012)
> welcome to change it and/or distribute copies of it under certain conditions.
> There is absolutely no warranty for GDB.  Type "show warranty" for details.
> This GDB was configured as "x86_64-apple-darwin"..."/private/tmp/Inkscape_MountainLion_0_48_4.app/Contents/Resources/bin/inkscape": not in executable format: File format not recognized
>
> (gdb) q

I should of course have tested 'bin/inkscape-bin' (since the second
package uses the old bundle structure), instead of blindly taking "File
format not recognized" as the same issue I had with the first package.

Indeed, it does indeed launch and run on Lion 10.7.4, too… :)

Apologies again for my stupid mistake!

> Didn't test it intensively, but quick feedback :
> - no python "missing lxml" error while I have it on my current version
> (the last mac official release I guess), great !

I get this error with regard to the lxml module
(Lion 10.7.4, Xcode 4.3.2 - yes, I'm missing the latest round of updates):

> The fantastic lxml wrapper for libxml2 is required by this extension.
>
> Technical details:
> dlopen(/private/tmp/Inkscape_MountainLion_0_48_4.app/Contents/Resources/python/site-packages/lxml/etree.so, 2): Library not loaded: /opt/local/macports-with-a-very-looooooooooooooooooooooooooong-name/lib/libxml2.2.dylib
>   Referenced from: /private/tmp/Inkscape_MountainLion_0_48_4.app/Contents/Resources/python/site-packages/lxml/etree.so
>   Reason: Incompatible library version: etree.so requires version 11.0.0 or later, but libxml2.2.dylib provides version 10.0.0

which could be another reason to bundle lxml as statically linked
module, as mentioned in my earlier reply...

>    - the "detachable tool-panes can't be re-attached (?)

The toolbars are blank when detached - AFAIU an upstream issue in
GTK+/Quartz, already reported for Inkscape here:

- Bug #539759 <https://bugs.launchpad.net/inkscape/+bug/539759>
  “Mac Aqua: Dragged-off toolbars are borderless, blank white windows."

You can simply open a new document window (or use 'View > Duplicate
Window' for the current document), to have all toolbars reattached again
(the detached state of the toolbars is not saved).

The dockable dialogs OTOH can be detached and reattached without issues.

On 04/01/2013 22:05, Valerio Aimale wrote:
> That patch is already applied to gtk-2.0 that comes with MacPorts 2.1.2,
> which is
>
> gtk2 @2.24.14_1+no_x11+quartz (active)
>
> However, inkscape still crashes when clicking in a text field. It might
> be an inkscape problem. If I can run a debug version, I'll look into it.

Can't reproduce these crashes with your app bundle either: clicking in a
text field and highlighting portions of text is ok, as well as adding
new layers and renaming them.

I still get the known issue with various extension dialogs popping up
after quitting, if having copy&pasted vector objects in the current
document).

Regards, V (feeling bad about having made such a stupid mistake)

Re: Mac OS X Mountain Lion x86_64 packaging of 0.48.4

Valerio Aimale
This is a good example of Mac OSX integration. Not complete, but, I'd
say a good start.

https://rapidshare.com/files/2004754462/Inkscape-r9943-10.7%2B-x86_64.dmg

I'll be more verbose tomorrow and replay to all emails. Too late now.

On 07/01/2013 08:13, Valerio Aimale wrote:
> This is a good example of Mac OSX integration. Not complete, but, I'd
> say a good start.
>
> https://rapidshare.com/files/2004754462/Inkscape-r9943-10.7%2B-x86_64.dmg

Many thanks for sharing this third build/package!

AFAICT the basics for the menubar integration are fine (Inkscape's
dynamic sub-menus, for example), and working with multiple files from
within the same Inkscape process is better supported, too.

1) Issues noticed with 'Inkscape-r9943-10.7+-x86_64' (on OS X 10.7):

- Menubar (blocker):
Closing a second window opened from within Inkscape may empty the global
menubar. The content of the menubar is restored e.g. when opening a new
window again (with the keyboard shortcut, or button on the commands
bar), or when switching between other document windows if there are
still multiple ones open.

Steps to reproduce:
1) launch Inkscape.app (with default preferences)
2) open new (second) window with 'Ctrl+N'
3) close second window with 'Ctrl+W'
--> the menubar now has only one menu ('Inkscape'), which basically
allows to quit the application, but nothing else.

- Menubar:
Menu items with a 'checkmark' (toggle state) don't update if the setting
is changed (e.g. 'View > Display mode > { … | Normal | No Filters |
Outline }' or don't reflect the initial state (e.g. items in 'View >
Show/Hide').

- Extension modules:
Import of lxml fails on Lion: system libs (libxml2 and libxslt) shipping
with Lion [1] provide older versions than those that the python module
was linked against:

> $ otool -L /tmp/Inkscape-r9943-10.7+-x86_64.app/Contents/Resources/python/site-packages/lxml/etree.so
> /tmp/Inkscape-r9943-10.7+-x86_64.app/Contents/Resources/python/site-packages/lxml/etree.so:
> @executable_path/../lib/libxslt.1.dylib (compatibility version 3.0.0, current version 3.27.0)
> @executable_path/../lib/libexslt.0.dylib (compatibility version 9.0.0, current version 9.16.0)
> @executable_path/../lib/libxml2.2.dylib (compatibility version 11.0.0, current version 11.0.0)
> @executable_path/../lib/libz.1.dylib (compatibility version 1.0.0, current version 1.2.7)
> /usr/lib/libSystem.B.dylib (compatibility version 1.0.0, current version 159.1.0)

> $ otool -L /usr/lib/libxml2.2.dylib
> /usr/lib/libxml2.2.dylib:
> /usr/lib/libxml2.2.dylib (compatibility version 10.0.0, current version 10.3.0)
> /usr/lib/libSystem.B.dylib (compatibility version 1.0.0, current version 159.1.0)
> /usr/lib/libz.1.dylib (compatibility version 1.0.0, current version 1.2.5)
> /usr/lib/libicucore.A.dylib (compatibility version 1.0.0, current version 46.1.0)
> $ otool -L /usr/lib/libxslt.1.dylib
> /usr/lib/libxslt.1.dylib:
> /usr/lib/libxslt.1.dylib (compatibility version 3.0.0, current version 3.24.0)
> /usr/lib/libxml2.2.dylib (compatibility version 10.0.0, current version 10.3.0)
> /usr/lib/libz.1.dylib (compatibility version 1.0.0, current version 1.2.5)
> /usr/lib/libSystem.B.dylib (compatibility version 1.0.0, current version 159.1.0)
> /usr/lib/libicucore.A.dylib (compatibility version 1.0.0, current version 46.1.0)
> $ otool -L /usr/lib/libexslt.0.dylib
> /usr/lib/libexslt.0.dylib:
> /usr/lib/libexslt.0.dylib (compatibility version 9.0.0, current version 9.13.0)
> /usr/lib/libxslt.1.dylib (compatibility version 3.0.0, current version 3.24.0)
> /usr/lib/libxml2.2.dylib (compatibility version 10.0.0, current version 10.3.0)
> /usr/lib/libz.1.dylib (compatibility version 1.0.0, current version 1.2.5)
> /usr/lib/libSystem.B.dylib (compatibility version 1.0.0, current version 159.1.0)
> /usr/lib/libicucore.A.dylib (compatibility version 1.0.0, current version 46.1.0)

Rewriting the paths of *.so files in the bundled python modules doesn't
help for compatibility with Lion (AFAIU for the spawned python process,
"@executable_path" does not resolve relative to the path of the main
Inkscape binary to make '/usr/bin/python' load libraries from inside the
Inkscape application bundle, and the same libs loaded from '/usr/lib'
are not compatible):

> The fantastic lxml wrapper for libxml2 is required by this extension.
>
> Technical details:
> dlopen(/tmp/Inkscape-r9943-10.7+-x86_64.app/Contents/Resources/python/site-packages/lxml/etree.so, 2): Library not loaded: @executable_path/../lib/libxml2.2.dylib
>   Referenced from: /tmp/Inkscape-r9943-10.7+-x86_64.app/Contents/Resources/python/site-packages/lxml/etree.so
>   Reason: Incompatible library version: etree.so requires version 11.0.0 or later, but libxml2.2.dylib provides version 10.0.0

- ...

At first sight the package otherwise seems to be at about the state of
gellule's blueprint/branch (which was based on Inkscape trunk from Aug
2012), with similar (known) issues (see below).

> I'll be more verbose tomorrow and replay to all emails. Too late now.

Thanks - looking forward to more detailed information… :)

Regards, V

-----
2) Known issues with 'gtk-mac-integration' (from gtk-osx)
(originally tracked in bug #721448 and bug #738973):

- Menubar: thousands of console messages about
  "object class `GtkLabel' has no property named `accel-closure'"
  (bug #1043266)

- Menubar: menus display no keyboard shortcuts
  (bug #1043266 (gtk-osx), bug #998276 (Unity))

- Menubar: 'File > Open Recent' always opens file listed at the top
  (bug #1043266 (gtk-osx), bug #708185 (Unity), bug #752674 (Unity))

- Bundle: Missing Dock & Finder integration
  (bug #1045963)

- ...

3) Known issues with GTK+/Quartz:

- Quartz backend: Modifiers (Ctrl <-> Alt/Cmd) not swapped
  (bug #1043266, #438603)

- Quartz backend: screen updates may be slow or delayed (compared to
  X11-based builds) - noticeable e.g. with the pen tool, which is
  rather slow (delayed screen updates when rendering the red & green
  path handles?) if the window size is big (e.g. maximised) and the
  rulers are visible; or when rotating shapes interactively (the
  constantly updating status bar messages possibly cause additional
  delays, and the rotation arrows don't update until the LBM press is
  released).

- Blocker: Clipboard: Random calls to output extensions (or crash) on
  quit after having used the clipboard within the current session
  (bug #1046068)

- Clipboard: Import/export via system clipboard doesn't work as expected
  (bug #546934)

- ...

4) Other features related to OS X & packaging:

- Adjust menu structure if using 'gtk-mac-integration' on osx:
  move items like 'Preferences' and 'Input Devices' to the 'Inkscape'
  application menu (similar to GIMP 2.8.2 with GTK+/Quartz)

- Adjust location for preferences, shared and cached items (XDG spec)
  to the structure recommended by Apple (~/Library/*) if compiled with
  Quartz backend (or possibly only if linked with 'gtk-mac-integration')

- Fonts: there should be no more issues with current versions of pango
  and/or fontconfig which would prevent re-enabling the system fonts
  directory in 'Contents/Resources/etc/fonts/fonts.conf':
  <!-- <dir>/System/Library/Fonts</dir> -->
  (dfonts are handled ok; Helvetica on >= 10.7 seems fixed, bug #408190)

- ...

5) Issues with gellule's branch/bundling script solved (or improved)
with your package(s):

- add gtk-themes support:
  new default theme, same as current GIMP 2.8.2 package for OS X
  (bug #1045963)

- include python modules for extensions (still needs support for Lion)
  (bug #1042597)

-----
[1] According to information at Apple's opensource site:
- OS X 10.7.5: libxml2-21.15.1, libxslt-10.10
<http://opensource.apple.com/release/mac-os-x-1075/>
- OS X 10.8.2: libxml2-22.3, libxslt-11.3
<http://opensource.apple.com/release/mac-os-x-1082/>

Re: Mac OS X Mountain Lion x86_64 packaging of 0.48.4

su_v
Correction:

On 07/01/2013 15:45, ~suv wrote:
> 3) Known issues with GTK+/Quartz:
>
> - Quartz backend: Modifiers (Ctrl <-> Alt/Cmd) not swapped
>   (bug #1043266, #438603)

Of course I meant this:
- Quartz backend: Modifiers (Ctrl <-> Cmd) not swapped

A minor detail with regard to modifiers with the Quartz backend:
AFAIU the (default) 'Mac' key-theme settings file results in a mixed use
of modifiers within Inkscape - in text entries and other widgets
displaying text content, copy&paste gets remapped to 'Cmd+C' and
'Cmd+V', whereas elsewhere one has to use 'Ctrl+C' and 'Ctrl+V'.

Rejuvenated build system for Mac OS X

Valerio Aimale
posted as a patch

https://bugs.launchpad.net/inkscape/+bug/1096996

Comments welcome.

Valerio

Re: Mac OS X Mountain Lion x86_64 packaging of 0.48.4

Valerio Aimale
Accelerator integration with OSX is a touch one to tackle.

Inkscape uses GDK events to detect keystokes, instead of more modern
GtkAccelerators.

The Left Meta Key (or "Apple", "Command", "Windows flag" or "Windows
start") is not properly detected in src/event-context.cpp.

Once meta detection is achieved in  src/event-context.cpp, it would be
trivial to add support for Mac accelerators, modifying

shortcuts.cpp
shortcuts.h

and

keys/default.xml (replacing "Ctrl" with "Meta", where appropriate).

Best,

Valerio

On 1/7/13 7:45 AM, ~suv wrote:

> On 07/01/2013 08:13, Valerio Aimale wrote:
>> This is a good example of Mac OSX integration. Not complete, but, I'd
>> say a good start.
>>
>> https://rapidshare.com/files/2004754462/Inkscape-r9943-10.7%2B-x86_64.dmg
> Many thanks for sharing this third build/package!
>
> AFAICT the basics for the menubar integration are fine (Inkscape's
> dynamic sub-menus, for example), and working with multiple files from
> within the same Inkscape process is better supported, too.
>

> 1) Issues noticed with 'Inkscape-r9943-10.7+-x86_64' (on OS X 10.7):
>
> - Menubar (blocker):
> Closing a second window opened from within Inkscape may empty the global
> menubar. The content of the menubar is restored e.g. when opening a new
> window again (with the keyboard shortcut, or button on the commands
> bar), or when switching between other document windows if there are
> still multiple ones open.
>
> Steps to reproduce:
> 1) launch Inkscape.app (with default preferences)
> 2) open new (second) window with 'Ctrl+N'
> 3) close second window with 'Ctrl+W'
> --> the menubar now has only one menu ('Inkscape'), which basically
> allows to quit the application, but nothing else.
>
> - Menubar:
> Menu items with a 'checkmark' (toggle state) don't update if the setting
> is changed (e.g. 'View > Display mode > { … | Normal | No Filters |
> Outline }' or don't reflect the initial state (e.g. items in 'View >
> Show/Hide').
Your email, unfortunately, made me think that OSX menu integration might
not be possible, without a major rewriting of the source code.
Inkscape's architecture (as for the majority of gtk apps) assumes that,
in multi-document mode, every window has its own private menu that
receives and process events.

In OSX, in multi-dicument mode, there is only one menu that processes
events and dispatches actions to the window that currently has the focus.

It might not be possible to achieve this type of integration with the
current state of Inkscape' sources.

> - Extension modules:
> Import of lxml fails on Lion: system libs (libxml2 and libxslt) shipping
> with Lion [1] provide older versions than those that the python module
> was linked against:
>
>> $ otool -L /tmp/Inkscape-r9943-10.7+-x86_64.app/Contents/Resources/python/site-packages/lxml/etree.so
>> /tmp/Inkscape-r9943-10.7+-x86_64.app/Contents/Resources/python/site-packages/lxml/etree.so:
>> @executable_path/../lib/libxslt.1.dylib (compatibility version 3.0.0, current version 3.27.0)
>> @executable_path/../lib/libexslt.0.dylib (compatibility version 9.0.0, current version 9.16.0)
>> @executable_path/../lib/libxml2.2.dylib (compatibility version 11.0.0, current version 11.0.0)
>> @executable_path/../lib/libz.1.dylib (compatibility version 1.0.0, current version 1.2.7)
>> /usr/lib/libSystem.B.dylib (compatibility version 1.0.0, current version 159.1.0)
>> $ otool -L /usr/lib/libxml2.2.dylib
>> /usr/lib/libxml2.2.dylib:
>> /usr/lib/libxml2.2.dylib (compatibility version 10.0.0, current version 10.3.0)
>> /usr/lib/libSystem.B.dylib (compatibility version 1.0.0, current version 159.1.0)
>> /usr/lib/libz.1.dylib (compatibility version 1.0.0, current version 1.2.5)
>> /usr/lib/libicucore.A.dylib (compatibility version 1.0.0, current version 46.1.0)
>> $ otool -L /usr/lib/libxslt.1.dylib
>> /usr/lib/libxslt.1.dylib:
>> /usr/lib/libxslt.1.dylib (compatibility version 3.0.0, current version 3.24.0)
>> /usr/lib/libxml2.2.dylib (compatibility version 10.0.0, current version 10.3.0)
>> /usr/lib/libz.1.dylib (compatibility version 1.0.0, current version 1.2.5)
>> /usr/lib/libSystem.B.dylib (compatibility version 1.0.0, current version 159.1.0)
>> /usr/lib/libicucore.A.dylib (compatibility version 1.0.0, current version 46.1.0)
>> $ otool -L /usr/lib/libexslt.0.dylib
>> /usr/lib/libexslt.0.dylib:
>> /usr/lib/libexslt.0.dylib (compatibility version 9.0.0, current version 9.13.0)
>> /usr/lib/libxslt.1.dylib (compatibility version 3.0.0, current version 3.24.0)
>> /usr/lib/libxml2.2.dylib (compatibility version 10.0.0, current version 10.3.0)
>> /usr/lib/libz.1.dylib (compatibility version 1.0.0, current version 1.2.5)
>> /usr/lib/libSystem.B.dylib (compatibility version 1.0.0, current version 159.1.0)
>> /usr/lib/libicucore.A.dylib (compatibility version 1.0.0, current version 46.1.0)
> Rewriting the paths of *.so files in the bundled python modules doesn't
> help for compatibility with Lion (AFAIU for the spawned python process,
> "@executable_path" does not resolve relative to the path of the main
> Inkscape binary to make '/usr/bin/python' load libraries from inside the
> Inkscape application bundle, and the same libs loaded from '/usr/lib'
> are not compatible):
Packing of python from the macports root installation directory was a
wrong choice. Python numpy and lxml packages have to be packaged from
the system-wide python 'site-packages'

I'll correct that.

Valerio

> [...]
>   <!-- <dir>/System/Library/Fonts</dir> -->
>    (dfonts are handled ok; Helvetica on >= 10.7 seems fixed, bug #408190)
>
> - ...
>

> 5) Issues with gellule's branch/bundling script solved (or improved)
> with your package(s):
>
> - add gtk-themes support:
>    new default theme, same as current GIMP 2.8.2 package for OS X
>    (bug #1045963)
>
> - include python modules for extensions (still needs support for Lion)
>    (bug #1042597)
>
> -----
> [1] According to information at Apple's opensource site:
> - OS X 10.7.5: libxml2-21.15.1, libxslt-10.10
> <http://opensource.apple.com/release/mac-os-x-1075/>
> - OS X 10.8.2: libxml2-22.3, libxslt-11.3
> <http://opensource.apple.com/release/mac-os-x-1082/>

Re: Mac OS X Mountain Lion x86_64 packaging of 0.48.4

the new launcher sh script is more gdb friendly, if oyu look at the top
of the script.

On 1/6/13 10:10 AM, ~suv wrote:

> [...]
>
> The dockable dialogs OTOH can be detached and reattached without issues.
>

> On 04/01/2013 22:05, Valerio Aimale wrote:
>> That patch is already applied to gtk-2.0 that comes with MacPorts 2.1.2,
>> which is
>>
>> gtk2 @2.24.14_1+no_x11+quartz (active)
>>
>> However, inkscape still crashes when clicking in a text field. It might
>> be an inkscape problem. If I can run a debug version, I'll look into it.
> Can't reproduce these crashes with your app bundle either: clicking in a
> text field and highlighting portions of text is ok, as well as adding
> new layers and renaming them.
>
> I still get the known issue with various extension dialogs popping up
> after quitting, if having copy&pasted vector objects in the current
> document).
>

> Regards, V (feeling bad about having made such a stupid mistake)

Re: Rejuvenated build system for Mac OS X

Partha Bagchi
Just a comment.

When I build Gimp on the Mac (my builds are known as McGimp, I never leave any trace on the user's machine when uninstalled. No macport, no su etc.

I am planning on building Inkscape for the Mac as well, as soon as I sort out the font issues on the Mac. Inkscape uses deprecated functions that my pango does not recognize.

On Mon, Jan 7, 2013 at 2:28 PM, Valerio Aimale <[hidden email]> wrote:
posted as a patch

https://bugs.launchpad.net/inkscape/+bug/1096996

Comments welcome.

Valerio

Re: Rejuvenated build system for Mac OS X

Valerio Aimale
Partha,

macports is only necessary to build Inkscape. The relevant macports components are packaged withing the bundle. There are no traces of macports  on the user machine, other that what's inside the bundle.

Valerio