Making Inkscpe SVGs accessible to screen readers

Making Inkscpe SVGs accessible to screen readers

Jonathan Busby
I originally posted this question to the Inkscape Community forums
here : https://forum.inkscapecommunity.com/index.php?topic=1705.0 .

I've been trying to make SVGs exported from Inkscape accessible to
screen readers for an article I'm editing on Wikipedia. I've been
using the following article as a reference but I'm still not sure if
what I'm doing is correct : https://css-tricks.com/accessible-svgs/ .

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Jonathan

Re: Making Inkscpe SVGs accessible to screen readers

Steve Litt
On Mon, 3 Jun 2019 12:30:11 -0500
Jonathan Busby <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I originally posted this question to the Inkscape Community forums
> here : https://forum.inkscapecommunity.com/index.php?topic=1705.0 .
>
> I've been trying to make SVGs exported from Inkscape accessible to
> screen readers for an article I'm editing on Wikipedia. I've been
> using the following article as a reference but I'm still not sure if
> what I'm doing is correct : https://css-tricks.com/accessible-svgs/ .

If I understand you correctly, you already have this text visible on
the picture and able to be selected (how?). Once you can select it,
copy it from the SVG and paste it into a window whose job it is to feed
text into a text-to-speech program.

SteveT

Steve Litt
June 2019 featured book: Thriving in Tough Times
http://www.troubleshooters.com/thrive

Re: Making Inkscpe SVGs accessible to screen readers

Jonathan Busby
I replied but the mail server rejected the message because it had a zip attachment. Here's a link to the zip archive on my Mediafire account :

Thanks and regards,

Jonathan

On Wed, Jun 5, 2019 at 10:27 AM Jonathan Busby <[hidden email]> wrote:

On Mon, Jun 3, 2019 at 7:11 PM Steve Litt <[hidden email]> wrote:
> If I understand you correctly, you already have this text visible on
> the picture and able to be selected (how?).

The text in the accessibility modified file is visible, but it's not selectable.

>Once you can select it,
> copy it from the SVG and paste it into a window whose job it is to feed
> text into a text-to-speech program.

The original, "non-accessible" file, has selectable text, but only via a CTRL-A, a CTRL-C and a CTRL-V. But its text is quite ugly and garbled when pasted.

I've tested the original, "non-accessible" SVG file with JAWS and it reads the file pretty decently, but it doesn't even read *anything* from the "accessible" SVG file.

I'll attached the original SVG, the screen reader accessible SVG that I attempted to create and the "diff -Nau" between the two files.
Any help would be appreciated.

> SteveT
>
> Steve Litt
> June 2019 featured book: Thriving in Tough Times
> http://www.troubleshooters.com/thrive

Thanks and regards,

Jonathan

Re: Making Inkscpe SVGs accessible to screen readers

Jonathan Busby
Sorry for the double post, but I accidentally had MIME enabled in the
last message, so I'm re-posting it plaintext only.

On Mon, Jun 3, 2019 at 7:11 PM Steve Litt <[hidden email]> wrote:
> If I understand you correctly, you already have this text visible on
> the picture and able to be selected (how?).

The text in the accessibility modified file is visible, but it's not selectable.

>Once you can select it,
> copy it from the SVG and paste it into a window whose job it is to feed
> text into a text-to-speech program.

The original, "non-accessible" file, has selectable text, but only via
a CTRL-A, a CTRL-C and a CTRL-V. But its text is quite ugly and
garbled when pasted.

I've tested the original, "non-accessible" SVG file with JAWS* and it
reads the file pretty decently, but it doesn't even read *anything*
from the "accessible" SVG file.

I've provided the original SVG, the screen reader accessible SVG that
I attempted to create and the "diff -Nau" between the two files in a
zip archive, to which I've linked on my Mediafire account :

http://www.mediafire.com/file/u55y9fs15d4y13f/acessible-SVG-test.zip/file

Any help would be appreciated.

> SteveT
>
> Steve Litt
> June 2019 featured book: Thriving in Tough Times
> http://www.troubleshooters.com/thrive

Thanks and regards,

Jonathan

*JAWS can be found here ( long URL ) :

https://www.freedomscientific.com/products/software/jaws/?utm_term=jaws%20screen%20reader&utm_source=adwords&utm_campaign=All+Products&utm_medium=ppc&hsa_tgt=aud-544366240235:kwd-394361346638&hsa_cam=200218713&hsa_ad=296201131673&hsa_kw=jaws%20screen%20reader&hsa_grp=52663682111&hsa_net=adwords&hsa_mt=e&hsa_src=g&hsa_acc=1684996396&hsa_ver=3&gclid=CjwKCAjw0N3nBRBvEiwAHMwvNj8nn8W_WXFoPhqM1PBETY55GX-2dhBPDjLb3QeQtJsJnd2PcFcKQxoClrwQAvD_BwE

Re: Making Inkscpe SVGs accessible to screen readers

Did you ever try using a screen reader on it yet?

Is the problem that you still can't select the text from the html page?

I'm not sure, but I think I found the section of the CSS Tricks article you're
using, which you need the most.  It's about halfway down the page (a little
less) called "Complex images - An Accessible Graph".

#1 - "Setting up the file" starts with ordering the layers.  You only have one
layer, so it might be that you need to make some more?  It also mentions
optimization (among several other things).  It recommends using a particular
tool.  However, Inkscape has some optimization features as well.  You'll just
have to sort through it and figure out what you need.

It mentions something about using the keyboard to guide the screenreader through
the webpage.  So it sounds like you'll need some idea how screen readers work.

#2 - "Let's make it accessible" sounds like your pot of gold!  But I wouldn't
skip #1.

You'll have to plow through it all yourself.  I didn't look past that point, but
you probably should.

On Thu, Jun 6, 2019 at 9:15 AM brynn <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Did you ever try using a screen reader on it yet?

Yes :) I used "JAWS"*, but, unfortunately, unlike the "non-accessible"
SVG file, the "screen reader accessible version" presents no text data
to JAWS and it isn't able to read it. For the plain unmodified SVG
though, JAWS rambles off the text rapidly and it's really quite bad.
:(

*( https://www.freedomscientific.com/products/software/jaws/ )

> Is the problem that you still can't select the text from the html page?

I don't know if that's the problem or not. According to the reference
specs from the W3C, the "aria-label" properties in the SVG file should
fix that, or at least make the SVG file screen reader accessible.

> I'm not sure, but I think I found the section of the CSS Tricks article you're
> using, which you need the most.  It's about halfway down the page (a little
> less) called "Complex images - An Accessible Graph".
>
> #1 - "Setting up the file" starts with ordering the layers.  You only have one
> layer, so it might be that you need to make some more?

Well, if you mean groups, then I did add <g> elements with "role=list"
and "aria-label" properties to groups of text elements that are
related, but that doesn't seem to make the screen reader work.

I'm not sure what "role" I should use -- img, group, list, text?

> It also mentions
> optimization (among several other things).  It recommends using a particular
> tool.  However, Inkscape has some optimization features as well.  You'll just
> have to sort through it and figure out what you need.

I'm afraid I don't know much about SVG optimization :/ I guess I'll
have to read up on it.

> It mentions something about using the keyboard to guide the screenreader through
> the webpage.  So it sounds like you'll need some idea how screen readers work.
>
> #2 - "Let's make it accessible" sounds like your pot of gold!  But I wouldn't
> skip #1.

Well, I followed the examples and advice mentioned in the article, but
with no success :/

> You'll have to plow through it all yourself.  I didn't look past that point, but
> you probably should.
>
> All best,
> brynn

Thanks and regards,

Jonathan

Re: Making Inkscpe SVGs accessible to screen readers

Brynn
>> #1 - "Setting up the file" starts with ordering the layers.  You only have
>> one
>> layer, so it might be that you need to make some more?

> Well, if you mean groups, ....

No, I think it means layers, not groups.  In that particular section, where it
talks about "layer grouping" it's not the same thing as Inkscape's "Groups".  I
think it means generally a grouping of layers.

> .... then I did add <g> elements with "role=list"
and "aria-label" properties to groups of text elements that are
related, but that doesn't seem to make the screen reader work.
I'm not sure what "role" I should use -- img, group, list, text?

For the most part, that html code is over my head, so I can't comment about it.
However, I didn't see any code like that in your html file.  Oh, I see it's in
the TXT file.  Maybe someone will be able to have a look at it?

Under that "#2 Let's make it accessible", the first thing it says is

"Screen reader traversable - Make sure the SVG is traversable in all browsers by
adding role="group" to the <svg>. According to the new SVG spec, they should map
to the graphics-document role. However, the spec is still in working draft mode,
therefore, the browsers have not implemented that yet."

I don't know, it looks like the article is 2 or 3 years old.  Maybe browsers do
implement it by now.  Or maybe that's part of the problem?

> I'm afraid I don't know much about SVG optimization :/ I guess I'll
have to read up on it.

The instructions look fairly easy, now that I took the time to read it closely.
It looks like you just need to click the "prettify" button in the program they
recommend.

Too bad that JAWS program doesn't have a free version.  Have you found any free
screen readers?  If there is, I wouldn't mind diving into this, code and all.

On Thu, Jun 6, 2019 at 9:15 AM brynn <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Did you ever try using a screen reader on it yet?

Yes :) I used "JAWS"*, but, unfortunately, unlike the "non-accessible"
SVG file, the "screen reader accessible version" presents no text data
to JAWS and it isn't able to read it. For the plain unmodified SVG
though, JAWS rambles off the text rapidly and it's really quite bad.
:(

*( https://www.freedomscientific.com/products/software/jaws/ )

> Is the problem that you still can't select the text from the html page?

I don't know if that's the problem or not. According to the reference
specs from the W3C, the "aria-label" properties in the SVG file should
fix that, or at least make the SVG file screen reader accessible.

> I'm not sure, but I think I found the section of the CSS Tricks article you're
> using, which you need the most.  It's about halfway down the page (a little
> less) called "Complex images - An Accessible Graph".
>
> #1 - "Setting up the file" starts with ordering the layers.  You only have one
> layer, so it might be that you need to make some more?

Well, if you mean groups, then I did add <g> elements with "role=list"
and "aria-label" properties to groups of text elements that are
related, but that doesn't seem to make the screen reader work.

I'm not sure what "role" I should use -- img, group, list, text?

> It also mentions
> optimization (among several other things).  It recommends using a particular
> tool.  However, Inkscape has some optimization features as well.  You'll just
> have to sort through it and figure out what you need.

I'm afraid I don't know much about SVG optimization :/ I guess I'll
have to read up on it.

> It mentions something about using the keyboard to guide the screenreader
> through
> the webpage.  So it sounds like you'll need some idea how screen readers work.
>
> #2 - "Let's make it accessible" sounds like your pot of gold!  But I wouldn't
> skip #1.

Well, I followed the examples and advice mentioned in the article, but
with no success :/

> You'll have to plow through it all yourself.  I didn't look past that point,
> but
> you probably should.
>
> All best,
> brynn

Thanks and regards,

Jonathan

Re: Making Inkscpe SVGs accessible to screen readers

Arlo James Barnes
On Mon, Jun 3, 2019 at 11:30 AM Jonathan Busby <[hidden email]> wrote:
I've been trying to make SVGs exported from Inkscape accessible to
screen readers for an article I'm editing on Wikipedia.
Just making sure you know that Wikipedia thumbnails to PNG, so unless you are directing people to the file itself (which you can, Wikimedia Commons is for many purposes) semantic contents will not come through in an article. Of course, WP itself has accessibility guidelines...

On Thu, Jun 6, 2019 at 10:01 PM brynn <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Too bad that JAWS program doesn't have a free version.  Have you found any free
> screen readers?  If there is, I wouldn't mind diving into this, code and all.

Sorry for the belated reply. I found "NVDA" :
https://www.nvaccess.org/download/ . It's free to use, but not open
source and it only runs on Windows. It's better than nothing though :)

On Wed, Jun 12, 2019 at 3:39 PM Arlo Barnes <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Mon, Jun 3, 2019 at 11:30 AM Jonathan Busby <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> I've been trying to make SVGs exported from Inkscape accessible to
>> screen readers for an article I'm editing on Wikipedia.
>
> Just making sure you know that Wikipedia thumbnails to PNG, so unless you are directing people to the file itself (which you can, Wikimedia Commons is for many purposes) semantic contents will not come through in an article. Of course, WP itself has accessibility guidelines...

Thanks for the heads up :) Fortunately, the SVGs created using
Inkscape which I've uploaded to Wikimedia are not in thumbnail form on
the articles pages where they appear, at least, I don't think they
are.

Regards,

Jonathan

Re: Making Inkscpe SVGs accessible to screen readers

Maren Hachmann
Jonathan, this mailing list has moved to:

https://lists.inkscape.org/postorius/lists/inkscape-user.lists.inkscape.org/

Please join us there, the sourceforge list will soon be disabled.

Maren

Am 01.07.19 um 20:04 schrieb Jonathan Busby:

> On Wed, Jun 12, 2019 at 3:39 PM Arlo Barnes <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> On Mon, Jun 3, 2019 at 11:30 AM Jonathan Busby <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> I've been trying to make SVGs exported from Inkscape accessible to
>>> screen readers for an article I'm editing on Wikipedia.
>>
>> Just making sure you know that Wikipedia thumbnails to PNG, so unless you are directing people to the file itself (which you can, Wikimedia Commons is for many purposes) semantic contents will not come through in an article. Of course, WP itself has accessibility guidelines...
>>

> Thanks for the heads up :) Fortunately, the SVGs created using
> Inkscape which I've uploaded to Wikimedia are not in thumbnail form on
> the articles pages where they appear, at least, I don't think they
> are.
>
> Regards,
>
> Jonathan

Re: Making Inkscpe SVGs accessible to screen readers

Steve Litt
On Tue, 2 Jul 2019 02:00:55 +0200
Maren Hachmann <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Jonathan, this mailing list has moved to:
>
> https://lists.inkscape.org/postorius/lists/inkscape-user.lists.inkscape.org/
>
> Please join us there, the sourceforge list will soon be disabled.
>
> Maren

Before disabling sourceforge, you might want to fix lists.inkscape.org.
I tried to create an account, and it said it was a duplicate account.
So I used that same email address and said "reset password", and it
said "no such account".

Either I have an account or don't, but the software wants it both ways.

Please don't do anything to my account: I've received a few posts to
lists.inkscape.org, so I suspect I *do* have an account there. But for
other people, please go easy on them during this transition: It's not
all that easy to just sign up for lists.inkscape.org.

SteveT

Steve Litt
July 2019 featured book: Troubleshooting Techniques
     of the Successful Technologist

Re: Making Inkscpe SVGs accessible to screen readers

Maren Hachmann
Steve, did you get a confirmation email and confirm your subscription?

Maren

Am 04.07.19 um 22:45 schrieb Steve Litt:

> On Tue, 2 Jul 2019 02:00:55 +0200
> Maren Hachmann <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Jonathan, this mailing list has moved to:
>>
>> https://lists.inkscape.org/postorius/lists/inkscape-user.lists.inkscape.org/
>>
>> Please join us there, the sourceforge list will soon be disabled.
>>
>> Maren
>
> Before disabling sourceforge, you might want to fix lists.inkscape.org.
> I tried to create an account, and it said it was a duplicate account.
> So I used that same email address and said "reset password", and it
> said "no such account".
>
> Either I have an account or don't, but the software wants it both ways.
>
> Please don't do anything to my account: I've received a few posts to
> lists.inkscape.org, so I suspect I *do* have an account there. But for
> other people, please go easy on them during this transition: It's not
> all that easy to just sign up for lists.inkscape.org.
>
> SteveT
>
> Steve Litt
> July 2019 featured book: Troubleshooting Techniques
>      of the Successful Technologist
> http://www.troubleshooters.com/techniques

Re: Making Inkscpe SVGs accessible to screen readers

Steve Litt
On Fri, 5 Jul 2019 00:01:37 +0200
Maren Hachmann <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Steve, did you get a confirmation email and confirm your subscription?
>
> Maren

Yes. I got an email from
[hidden email] subject
confirmLongHexNum, and replied to it that very day, leaving the subject
intact. The confirm email was to [hidden email], and sent
from the same address. When I try to log in using
[hidden email] and fail, I tell it to reset my password, put
in my same email address, and it tells me nobody has that address.

I must be signed up for lists.inkscape.org because I get emails
addressed to lists.inkscape.org.

SteveT

Steve Litt
July 2019 featured book: Troubleshooting Techniques
     of the Successful Technologist

Re: Making Inkscpe SVGs accessible to screen readers

Maren Hachmann
Thanks, Steve.

I opened an issue for you, as Bryce has requested when he announced the
mailing list move.

It is here:
https://gitlab.com/inkscape/inbox/issues/625

Can you reply there about the next question I asked?

Kind Regards
 Maren

Am 05.07.19 um 01:57 schrieb Steve Litt:

> On Fri, 5 Jul 2019 00:01:37 +0200
> Maren Hachmann <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Steve, did you get a confirmation email and confirm your subscription?
>>
>> Maren
>
> Yes. I got an email from
> [hidden email] subject
> confirmLongHexNum, and replied to it that very day, leaving the subject
> intact. The confirm email was to [hidden email], and sent
> from the same address. When I try to log in using
> [hidden email] and fail, I tell it to reset my password, put
> in my same email address, and it tells me nobody has that address.
>
> I must be signed up for lists.inkscape.org because I get emails
> addressed to lists.inkscape.org.
>
> SteveT
>
> Steve Litt
> July 2019 featured book: Troubleshooting Techniques
>      of the Successful Technologist
> http://www.troubleshooters.com/techniques

Re: Making Inkscpe SVGs accessible to screen readers

Steve Litt
On Fri, 5 Jul 2019 02:46:23 +0200
Maren Hachmann <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Thanks, Steve.
>
> I opened an issue for you, as Bryce has requested when he announced
> the mailing list move.
>
> It is here:
> https://gitlab.com/inkscape/inbox/issues/625
>
> Can you reply there about the next question I asked?

Late at night, no time to sign up there, but to answer your question I
have received no emails from anything with a from address that includes
lists.inkscape.org. Therefore, unless I was overly aggressive in
deleting my spam email, I didn't get a reply after I confirmed.

Thanks,

SteveT

Steve Litt
July 2019 featured book: Troubleshooting Techniques
     of the Successful Technologist

Re: Making Inkscpe SVGs accessible to screen readers

Shlomi Fish
Hi all!

On Fri, 5 Jul 2019 00:57:01 -0400
Steve Litt <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Fri, 5 Jul 2019 02:46:23 +0200
> Maren Hachmann <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Thanks, Steve.
> >
> > I opened an issue for you, as Bryce has requested when he announced
> > the mailing list move.
> >
> > It is here:
> > https://gitlab.com/inkscape/inbox/issues/625
> >
> > Can you reply there about the next question I asked?
>
> Late at night, no time to sign up there, but to answer your question I
> have received no emails from anything with a from address that includes
> lists.inkscape.org. Therefore, unless I was overly aggressive in
> deleting my spam email, I didn't get a reply after I confirmed.

My experience is that emails from l.inkscape.org to my account are being dropped
as well. Ob"meme":

https://imgflip.com/i/34zb03

Regards,

        Shlomi

> Thanks,
>
> SteveT
>
> Steve Litt
> July 2019 featured book: Troubleshooting Techniques
>      of the Successful Technologist
> http://www.troubleshooters.com/techniques

https://youtu.be/GoEn1YfYTBM - Tiffany Alvord - “Fall Together”

SMG: It was 1997-1998ish, Buffy started airing. So one day a group of
yeshivah pupils arrived to the studios saying they have some numereological
insights from the Jewish bible, about what will happen in Sunnydale next.
    — http://www.shlomifish.org/humour/Summerschool-at-the-NSA/