Marketing/Advocacy/Outreach Team - Proposed Objectives

Marketing/Advocacy/Outreach Team - Proposed Objectives

Ryan Gorley
As perhaps a primer to forming a new team to serve the Inkscape project, I would put forward for discussion the following objectives for such a team:
  1. Increasing the project's contributor base, as measured by code commits, non-technical contributions, cash contributions, etc.
  2. Improving the market position of Inkscape, as measured by user and target-user opinion studies, favorable press coverage, increased usage, etc.
  3. Increasing community loyalty and engagement, as measured by participation in physical meetups, online discussions, social sharing, etc.
Finding consensus about objectives seems more productive at this stage than strategy and tactics. I'd love to hear what you all think or would add/remove/edit.

(Bryce: I had this largely written prior to your response to the other thread, so feel free to steer this conversation in a different direction if you wish)

Re: Marketing/Advocacy/Outreach Team - Proposed Objectives

Bryce Harrington-3
On Tue, Jun 13, 2017 at 11:38:17AM -0600, Ryan Gorley wrote:

> As perhaps a primer to forming a new team to serve the Inkscape project, I
> would put forward for discussion the following *objectives* for such a team:
>
>    1. *Increasing the project's contributor base,* as measured by code
>    commits, non-technical contributions, cash contributions, etc.
>    2. *Improving the market position of Inkscape*, as measured by user and
>    target-user opinion studies, favorable press coverage, increased usage, etc.
>    3. *Increasing community loyalty and engagement*, as measured by
>    participation in physical meetups, online discussions, social sharing, etc.
>
> Finding consensus about objectives seems more productive at this stage than
> strategy and tactics. I'd love to hear what you all think or would
> add/remove/edit.
>
> *(Bryce: I had this largely written prior to your response to the other
> thread, so feel free to steer this conversation in a different direction if
> you wish)*

All sounds great.  I want to avoid steering things too much from a
top-down position because I know there's a ton of ideas and potential
work in this area that is going to require a strong sense of commitment
over the long haul.  So it's important the team feel they own their
objectives and are able to invest themselves in specific tasks and
projects best aligned to their own passions and interests.  Maximizing
the self-motivation of team members will be the most efficient way to
get a lot of cool stuff achieved.

I like that you called out non-technical contributions; I know I'm a bit
of a broken record here but I feel that broadening our collective
skillset in a well organized manner is vital to the long term health of
the project.

There is also an important role available to this team in helping draft
release announcement materials.  This has been a weak area of ours for a
number of releases, so would be a very direct way for this team to
impact Inkscape.  I can give more details if the team wants to take this
on.

Beyond that I'm just really interested in seeing what the team comes up
with!

Re: Marketing/Advocacy/Outreach Team - Proposed Objectives

Brynn
I'm still voicing my concern about starting this while core developers and other
community members are focussing on hackfest.  I'm pretty sure that at least a
couple of them are interested in participating.  Plus some of us have recently
commited to work on the new beginners' guide.

Ryan from a different message said

> I'll put forward that we meet at either 13:00 or 20:00 GMT on the Tuesday 6/20
> on either IRC Freenode #inkscape-devel channel or
> https://meet.jit.si/inkscape.

I'm open to alternative times. If we need to we could have an asynchronous
meeting on the forum as well.
___________________

Could we put off the meeting until at least the 2nd week in July?  That would
give hackers time to take a breath!  I was thinking even the 3rd week might be
better, to be sure the manual/guide workers can join.

I would guess one of those times would probably work.  But shouldn't we consult
everyone about the day? I've looked up the message announcing the first meeting,
and here are those people:

Maren Hachmann<[hidden email]>
Mihaela<[hidden email]>
Buovjaga<[hidden email]>

And the message should probably invite anyone else who wants to join, as well.

I wonder if it should be cross-posted to the User and/or Docs list?  The first
time it was posted in Devel and User lists.

As soon as we have chosen a name for the team, we can ask Martin or Maren to
create a team for us, on the website.  https://inkscape.org/en/teams/  As I've
recently learned while setting up a moderation team, we will need to write a
description of the group, and a charter for the group (which basically tells
about the tasks and responsibilities of the team members).  (Possibly there
could be a chatroom for the team, but I'm not saying that with any real
certainty.  Really waiting for the question to be answered for the moderation
team ;-) )

Yes, we could have a related thread on the forum.  Certainly I'll make post
announcing the creation of the team.  Although probably most people who are
interested in joining this team, aren't members.  (This touches on a whole other
story, which I'll relate separately.)

Ryan, Mihaela also has some strong and definite ideas and goals, already stated
in a few different threads (approx 3 to 4 to maybe 6 months ago).  Mihaela has
been busy with other projects, but when I've checked in with her, she has
expressed that she still has a strong interest and wants to be notified.  (That
was as of the last time we set up a meeting.)

I think Buovjaga had some big ideas too, but I don't remember specifically.

Most of these things that you've mentioned Ryan, are over my head.  It sounds
like you're interested in surveys and statistics?  I would echo Bryce in adding
that one of the goals of the group is to coordinate announcement of releases and
other milestones (hackfest, new manuals, etc.)  I would also add that managing
competitions, contests or drawing challenges might be part of it too.

Personally, the extent of my participation is probably going to be posting
messages and announcements in forums (possibly setting up forum features as
well).  But I'm still interested to get the team created and going.  And to
follow developments, make comments, and help in whatever other ways I can.

But again, maybe not Right Now.  Maybe in 3 or 4 weeks?

On Tue, Jun 13, 2017 at 06:29:09PM -0600, brynn wrote:
> I'm still voicing my concern about starting this while core developers and
> other community members are focussing on hackfest.  I'm pretty sure that at
> least a couple of them are interested in participating.  Plus some of us
> have recently commited to work on the new beginners' guide.

Fair points, but keep in mind a major part of the reason for forming
this team is to enable more stuff to occur in parallel and avoid
bottlenecking on core developers.

I suppose if you wanted, the first meeting could be kept low key, more
of a social/brainstorming session, with the real kickoff occuring
post-hackfest.  If people are interested right now, why not strike while
the iron is hot?

Bryce

> [...]
> get a lot of cool stuff achieved.
>
> I like that you called out non-technical contributions; I know I'm a bit
> of a broken record here but I feel that broadening our collective
> skillset in a well organized manner is vital to the long term health of
> the project.
>
> There is also an important role available to this team in helping draft
> release announcement materials.  This has been a weak area of ours for a
> number of releases, so would be a very direct way for this team to
> impact Inkscape.  I can give more details if the team wants to take this
> on.
>
> Beyond that I'm just really interested in seeing what the team comes up
> with!
>
> Bryce

Re: Marketing/Advocacy/Outreach Team - Proposed Objectives

Robert Sterbal
We will not be excluding anyone from participation. The first step is
just cataloging what is going on and making sure we know what areas we
might be missing.

People coming on to this project will be welcome one week, one month or
one year from now.

Thanks,

Robert Sterbal
[hidden email]
412-977-3526 call/text

On 6/13/2017 8:29 PM, brynn wrote:

> [...]
>
> I like that you called out non-technical contributions; I know I'm a bit
> of a broken record here but I feel that broadening our collective
> skillset in a well organized manner is vital to the long term health of
> the project.
>
> There is also an important role available to this team in helping draft
> release announcement materials.  This has been a weak area of ours for a
> number of releases, so would be a very direct way for this team to
> impact Inkscape.  I can give more details if the team wants to take this
> on.
>
> Beyond that I'm just really interested in seeing what the team comes up
> with!
>
> Bryce

> ---
> http://www.avg.com

Re: Marketing/Advocacy/Outreach Team - Proposed Objectives

Alexandre Prokoudine

14 июня 2017 г. 3:30 AM пользователь "brynn" написал:
I'm still voicing my concern about starting this while core developers and other community members are focussing on hackfest.

The SMM meeting is a week apart from the hackfest. None of the hackfest participants have so far claimed to be unable to attend the SMM meeting. In fact, few have voiced their interest in both events. So why is this relevant?

Alex

Am 14.06.2017 um 02:29 schrieb brynn:

> And the message should probably invite anyone else who wants to join, as
> well.
>
> I wonder if it should be cross-posted to the User and/or Docs list?  The
> first time it was posted in Devel and User lists.

Sounds like a good idea to me, Brynn.

Ryan, you can find a list of our mailing lists at
https://inkscape.org/en/community/mailing-lists/

Kind Regards,

Re: Marketing/Advocacy/Outreach Team - Proposed Objectives

Ryan Gorley
Brynn, your concerns about participation are valid, and we don't want any willing participants excluded. As Bryce suggested, perhaps we make this first meeting a less formal gathering of people who are interested in participating. I hate to lose momentum by putting this off another month. The only business of this meeting probably needs to be arranging the creation of a mailing list (or something) for the team to communicate, and the planning of the next meeting.

Let's try to pin down a time. If you're interested in joining us please add your name and available times here:

Are there any lingering objections to soliciting participation more broadly at this point?

Ryan Gorley @ Dijt

On Tue, Jun 13, 2017 at 7:05 PM, Maren Hachmann <[hidden email]> wrote:
Am 14.06.2017 um 02:29 schrieb brynn:

> And the message should probably invite anyone else who wants to join, as
> well.
>
> I wonder if it should be cross-posted to the User and/or Docs list?  The
> first time it was posted in Devel and User lists.

Sounds like a good idea to me, Brynn.

Ryan, you can find a list of our mailing lists at
https://inkscape.org/en/community/mailing-lists/

Kind Regards,

Re: Marketing/Advocacy/Outreach Team - Proposed Objectives

Martin Owens-2
On Wed, 2017-06-14 at 00:24 -0600, Ryan Gorley wrote:
> mailing list (or something) for the team to communicate, and the
> planning of the next meeting.

Resource warning: mailing lists are currently unavailable as we are
sourcing a new mailing list system. The existing ones on sourceforge
are a throwback legacy and can't be built upon.

But 'or something' might work.

Best Regards, Martin Owens
Ministry of Services

Re: Marketing/Advocacy/Outreach Team - Proposed Objectives

Robert Sterbal
Wikis can make good collaborative spaces.

Please update: http://wiki.inkscape.org/wiki/index.php/Social_media

You can add comments here:
http://wiki.inkscape.org/wiki/index.php/Talk:Social_media

Thanks,

Robert Sterbal
[hidden email]
412-977-3526 call/text

On Wed, 2017-06-14 at 08:34 -0400, Robert Sterbal wrote:
> Wikis can make good collaborative spaces.
>
> Please update: http://wiki.inkscape.org/wiki/index.php/Social_media
>
> You can add comments here:
> http://wiki.inkscape.org/wiki/index.php/Talk:Social_media

What I've done is edit the website linked directly:

Website Administrator

Re: Marketing/Advocacy/Outreach Team - Proposed Objectives

Ryan Gorley
Social media platforms are important communication channels and communities, but so are the website, search engines, trade publications, trade shows, professional groups, conventions, online forums, etc. Each offers its own opportunity, but I would put forward that none are sufficient on their own to drive this project forward in a significant way. I suggest we make social media a part of a larger marketing conversation, even though that may be the extent to which some of us are interested in being involved. This project will make greater strides when we arrive at a consensus on what we aim to achieve at a strategic level, determine how we'll measure progress, and get to work planning and doing things at the channel and community level.

P.S. My apologies for publishing emails in that document. We'll just have to settle for some general announcement about the date/time until we find some secure way to communicate directly to those who are specifically interested. Please help us figure out when we can hold such a meeting by selecting or adding a time that works for you here.

Ryan Gorley @ Dijt

On Wed, Jun 14, 2017 at 6:34 AM, Robert Sterbal <[hidden email]> wrote:
Wikis can make good collaborative spaces.

Please update: http://wiki.inkscape.org/wiki/index.php/Social_media

You can add comments here: http://wiki.inkscape.org/wiki/index.php/Talk:Social_media

Thanks,

Robert Sterbal
[hidden email]

On 6/14/2017 2:52 AM, Martin Owens wrote:
On Wed, 2017-06-14 at 00:24 -0600, Ryan Gorley wrote:
mailing list (or something) for the team to communicate, and the
planning of the next meeting.
Resource warning: mailing lists are currently unavailable as we are
sourcing a new mailing list system. The existing ones on sourceforge
are a throwback legacy and can't be built upon.

But 'or something' might work.

Best Regards, Martin Owens
Ministry of Services

---
http://www.avg.com

Re: Marketing: Social Media News Extension

Martin Owens-2
In addition to organisation discussions:

This is a proposed extension to the inkscape website news system (see
attached screenshot)

The idea is that we can add in any backlinks to our news articles into
the article. Effectively giving us a space to track if we have posted
the article to twitter, facebook and etc etc. Different types of
articles will want different social media, so I've left it fairly open
to group policy (as in what social media to post news to)

On the news page itself, we'd show the little icons and link to them so
people could see at a glace what social media was done for that
article. As well as any other (non-social-media) backlinks could be
added somewhere useful later.

Thoughts? Useful to the the new social media group? Please bring it up
at the meeting and let me know what you'd like the website to do.

Best Regards, Martin Owens

On Wed, 2017-06-14 at 10:34 -0600, Ryan Gorley wrote:

> Social media platforms are important communication channels and
> communities, but so are the website, search engines, trade
> publications, trade shows, professional groups, conventions, online
> forums, etc. Each offers its own opportunity, but I would put forward
> that none are sufficient on their own to drive this project forward
> in a significant way. I suggest we make social media a part of a
> larger marketing conversation, even though that may be the extent to
> which some of us are interested in being involved. This project will
> make greater strides when we arrive at a consensus on what we aim to
> achieve at a strategic level, determine how we'll measure progress,
> and get to work planning and doing things at the channel and
> community level.
>
> P.S. My apologies for publishing emails in that document. We'll just
> have to settle for some general announcement about the date/time
> until we find some secure way to communicate directly to those who
> are specifically interested. Please help us figure out when we can
> hold such a meeting by selecting or adding a time that works for you
> here.
>

> Ryan Gorley @ Dijt
>
> On Wed, Jun 14, 2017 at 6:34 AM, Robert Sterbal <[hidden email]
> > wrote:
> > Wikis can make good collaborative spaces.
> >
> > Please update: http://wiki.inkscape.org/wiki/index.php/Social_media
> >
> > You can add comments here: http://wiki.inkscape.org/wiki/index.php/
> > Talk:Social_media
> >

> > Thanks,
> >
> > Robert Sterbal
> > [hidden email]
> > 412-977-3526 call/text

> > >  Resource warning: mailing lists are currently unavailable as we
> > > are
> > > sourcing a new mailing list system. The existing ones on
> > > sourceforge
> > > are a throwback legacy and can't be built upon.
> > >
> > > But 'or something' might work.
> > >
> > > Best Regards, Martin Owens
> > > Ministry of Services

> > > ---
> > > http://www.avg.com

track_social_media.png (224K) Download Attachment

Re: Marketing/Advocacy/Outreach Team - Proposed Objectives

Did you intend to publish, Martin?

Maren

Am 14.06.2017 um 15:32 schrieb Martin Owens:

> On Wed, 2017-06-14 at 08:34 -0400, Robert Sterbal wrote:
>> Wikis can make good collaborative spaces.
>>
>> Please update: http://wiki.inkscape.org/wiki/index.php/Social_media
>>
>> You can add comments here:
>> http://wiki.inkscape.org/wiki/index.php/Talk:Social_media
>
> What I've done is edit the website linked directly:

> Website Administrator

Re: Marketing: Social Media News Extension

Ryan Gorley
This seems like it would be really valuable for tracking, and to a greater extent encouraging people to promote the news to their own social circles. I cannot think of any reason not to do it. :)

Ryan Gorley @ Dijt

On Wed, Jun 14, 2017 at 3:39 PM, Martin Owens <[hidden email]> wrote:
> [...]

> > wrote:
> > Wikis can make good collaborative spaces.
> >
> > Please update: http://wiki.inkscape.org/wiki/index.php/Social_media
> >
> > You can add comments here: http://wiki.inkscape.org/wiki/index.php/
> > Talk:Social_media
> >

> > Thanks,
> >
> > Robert Sterbal
> > [hidden email]

> > >  Resource warning: mailing lists are currently unavailable as we
> > > are
> > > sourcing a new mailing list system. The existing ones on
> > > sourceforge
> > > are a throwback legacy and can't be built upon.
> > >
> > > But 'or something' might work.
> > >
> > > Best Regards, Martin Owens
> > > Ministry of Services

> > > ---
> > > http://www.avg.com

Re: Marketing/Advocacy/Outreach Team - Proposed Objectives

This is very helpful!

After asking in various channels I think I want to focus on the wiki.

If you have any questions about the additions I am making to the wiki
please let me know.

I hope your efforts to market the software better work out. I'd be happy
to help, but I'll let other people take the leadership of those efforts
at this time.

Thanks,

Robert Sterbal
[hidden email]
412-977-3526 call/text

On 6/14/2017 9:32 AM, Martin Owens wrote:

> On Wed, 2017-06-14 at 08:34 -0400, Robert Sterbal wrote:
>> Wikis can make good collaborative spaces.
>>
>> Please update: http://wiki.inkscape.org/wiki/index.php/Social_media
>>
>> You can add comments here:
>> http://wiki.inkscape.org/wiki/index.php/Talk:Social_media
> What I've done is edit the website linked directly:

> Website Administrator
>

> ---
> http://www.avg.com

Re: Marketing/Advocacy/Outreach Team - Proposed Objectives

Ryan Gorley
In consideration of those who are more comfortable writing English than speaking, and unless there are objections, I think perhaps we should just hold this meetup on the Freenode #inkscape-devel IRC channel instead. We can discuss where future meetings will be held.

It's clear that we will not find a time that works for all, but a critical mass of interested parties can meet at Tuesday 20 June 2017 @ 20:00-21:00 GMT. Unless there are objections, I am going to announce that time to a larger audience of may be interested and plan as an order of business we schedule a subsequent meeting that others will be able to participate in.

I hope I'm not steamrolling anyone. I'm still learning how to navigate getting things done in this kind of environment. If someone has a better plan, please put it forward. I would like to get an announcement out prior to leaving on a trip for a few days.

Ryan Gorley @ Dijt

On Thu, 2017-06-15 at 18:21 -0600, Ryan Gorley wrote:
> I hope I'm not steamrolling anyone. I'm still learning how to
> navigate getting things done in this kind of environment. If someone
> has a better plan, please put it forward. I would like to get an
> announcement out prior to leaving on a trip for a few days.

Sounds good Ryan, I'll try and make the meeting.

You can post a link to the irc chat like this:

https://inkscape.org/en/*developer/chat/

On Thu, Jun 15, 2017 at 09:42:44PM -0400, Martin Owens wrote:
> On Thu, 2017-06-15 at 18:21 -0600, Ryan Gorley wrote:
> > I hope I'm not steamrolling anyone. I'm still learning how to
> > navigate getting things done in this kind of environment. If someone
> > has a better plan, please put it forward. I would like to get an
> > announcement out prior to leaving on a trip for a few days.
>
> Sounds good Ryan, I'll try and make the meeting.

Me too, thanks for organizing it.  :-)

Bryce

> You can post a link to the irc chat like this:
>
> https://inkscape.org/en/*developer/chat/

Re: Marketing: Social Media News Extension

This is now live:

https://inkscape.org/en/news/2017/06/10/inkscape-moves-gitlab/

Also live is message batching. Should you want all your translator/edit
messages to come at one time. Or all your comments to artworks once a
week etc.

Best Regards Martin Owens