Memory usage during linking

Bryce Harrington
I'm not sure if this was just the machine I was testing on, but the
memory usage during linking appears to be fairly intensive.  The system
was low on swap space, and compilation actually triggered the OOM
killer.  I had the machine pretty loaded with other stuff so it wasn't a
total surprise, but I'm curious if others are having this problem?  Is
it a new problem?

Also, are there things we could be doing to reduce the memory load
during the final link?

Re: Memory usage during linking

Luca Bruno
Bryce Harrington <[hidden email]> scrisse:

> I'm not sure if this was just the machine I was testing on, but the
> memory usage during linking appears to be fairly intensive.  The
> system
> was low on swap space, and compilation actually triggered the OOM
> killer.  I had the machine pretty loaded with other stuff so it wasn't
> a total surprise, but I'm curious if others are having this problem?
> Is it a new problem?

Same for me... compiling on a PIII with 192mb RAM+ 133mb Swap with no
other intensive task running caused the OOM killer to kill almost
everything (also the linker itself). I had to stop all the daemon i
n background (apache & mysql, with non workload) and all the Xserver
(with no desktop session active).

> Also, are there things we could be doing to reduce the memory load
> during the final link?
>
> Bryce

Ciao, Luca

--

 .''`.  ** Debian GNU/Linux **  | Luca Bruno
: :'  :   The Universal O.S.    | luca.br(AT)uno.it

 Sponsor:

 Natsabe.it la pi? grande erboristeria online italiana

* prezzi bassi tutto l'anno !

 Clicca qui: http://adv.email.it/cgi-bin/foclick.cgi?mid=1298&d=10-6

Re: Memory usage during linking

Bob Jamison-2
Bryce Harrington wrote:

>I'm not sure if this was just the machine I was testing on, but the
>memory usage during linking appears to be fairly intensive.  The system
>was low on swap space, and compilation actually triggered the OOM
>killer.  I had the machine pretty loaded with other stuff so it wasn't a
>total surprise, but I'm curious if others are having this problem?  Is
>it a new problem?
>
>Also, are there things we could be doing to reduce the memory load
>during the final link?

I would think that the idea of making a single large lib and linking
with that (older posting
from a few weeks ago) would do the trick. Note that all of our small
libs are unstripped
static libs. The single one would not be smaller, but would relieve the
a bit. And making the final link against a single libinkscape.so shared
lib would be much smaller.

Bob