Mesh tool added to trunk

Tavmjong Bah

Hi,

        My Mesh branch suffered from serious bit rot. This is good as it shows
how fast Inkscape code is progressing. But it also required several days
of work to get the mesh branch in sync... not so good. I have thus
merged the branch with trunk so I won't have to go through this pain
again. One major change I made was to create a separate Mesh tool. The
editing mode for meshes is significantly different from that for linear
and radial gradients that I think this makes the most sense.

        By default, the Mesh tool is not shown. You can enable it at compile
time by editing the file widgets/toolbox.cpp to define WITH_MESH. To
actually see meshes, you must have compiled and linked to a version of
Cairo greater to or equal to 1.11.4. Cairo version 12.0 would be
preferred as 1.11.4 has bugs that cause frequent Inkscape crashes.

        Note, meshes are to be considered experimental. The SVG working group
has endorsed their inclusion in SVG2 but the exact syntax has not been
fixed. Inkscape is the only program/browser/renderer that supports the
proposed SVG mesh syntax. Also, the UI for meshes is rather primitive at
the moment.

        Please play with the meshes and give your feedback. Bug fixes and
interface improvements will be greatly appreciated!

                                                Tav

Re: Mesh tool added to trunk

Alexandre Prokoudine
On Wed, May 23, 2012 at 4:17 PM, Tavmjong Bah <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
>        My Mesh branch suffered from serious bit rot. This is good as it shows
> how fast Inkscape code is progressing. But it also required several days
> of work to get the mesh branch in sync... not so good. I have thus
> merged the branch with trunk so I won't have to go through this pain
> again. One major change I made was to create a separate Mesh tool. The
> editing mode for meshes is significantly different from that for linear
> and radial gradients that I think this makes the most sense.

What would be your recommendation regarding PPA builds? Enable or
disable the feature?

Alexandre Prokoudine
http://libregraphicsworld.org

Re: Mesh tool added to trunk

Valerie VK
> What would be your recommendation regarding PPA builds? Enable or
> disable the feature?

Please enable it! Those of us using the PPA already know that it's an
unstable build, and many of us look forward to testing this feature! :D

Re: Mesh tool added to trunk

Tavmjong Bah
On Wed, 2012-05-23 at 16:36 +0400, Alexandre Prokoudine wrote:

> On Wed, May 23, 2012 at 4:17 PM, Tavmjong Bah <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> >        My Mesh branch suffered from serious bit rot. This is good as it shows
> > how fast Inkscape code is progressing. But it also required several days
> > of work to get the mesh branch in sync... not so good. I have thus
> > merged the branch with trunk so I won't have to go through this pain
> > again. One major change I made was to create a separate Mesh tool. The
> > editing mode for meshes is significantly different from that for linear
> > and radial gradients that I think this makes the most sense.
>
> What would be your recommendation regarding PPA builds? Enable or
> disable the feature?

I would leave it up to the PPA users... I shouldn't hurt as long as
users realize that it is experimental. I don't suppose one can have two
builds, one with it enabled (and named inkscape_experimental) and one
not.

                                Tav

Re: Mesh tool added to trunk

Alex Valavanis-3

I can sort out the ppa build in the next couple of days if no one gets there first. The only issue is that builds with mesh enabled will not work nativity for any stable ubuntu release because cairo 12 only appears in ubuntu 12.10. We will either need to drop support for all stable versions of ubuntu or adopt the packaging of Cairo 12 in the ppa.

It would be possible to package two separate builds independently but it might get a bit messy.

On May 23, 2012 7:49 PM, "Tavmjong Bah" <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Wed, 2012-05-23 at 16:36 +0400, Alexandre Prokoudine wrote:
> On Wed, May 23, 2012 at 4:17 PM, Tavmjong Bah <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> >        My Mesh branch suffered from serious bit rot. This is good as it shows
> > how fast Inkscape code is progressing. But it also required several days
> > of work to get the mesh branch in sync... not so good. I have thus
> > merged the branch with trunk so I won't have to go through this pain
> > again. One major change I made was to create a separate Mesh tool. The
> > editing mode for meshes is significantly different from that for linear
> > and radial gradients that I think this makes the most sense.
>
> What would be your recommendation regarding PPA builds? Enable or
> disable the feature?

I would leave it up to the PPA users... I shouldn't hurt as long as
users realize that it is experimental. I don't suppose one can have two
builds, one with it enabled (and named inkscape_experimental) and one
not.

                               Tav

Re: Mesh tool added to trunk

Josh Andler
Hey Alex,

Just to throw it out there, cairo 1.11+ introduces PDF saving issues.
The introduction of 1.12.x to "stable" platforms is probably not
something we want to push currently since it will affect other apps as
well. If it would only break Inkscape, that's fine... but I recall a
conversation with Bryce Harrington saying 1.12 also introduced a
number of bugs with the open source graphics drivers too (not sure if
those were fixed in the .2 release).

https://bugs.launchpad.net/inkscape/+bug/985206

Cheers,
Josh