NEW: touch selection

bulia byak
In Selector tool, a new object selection mode is available: selecting
by touch. In this mode, you draw a freehand path across the objects;
when you release mouse button, all objects that are touched by this
path get selected. This mode is very convenient in situations where
you need to select objects so intermingled that selecting them by the
rectangular rubberband is too difficult and so numerous that
click-selecting them one by one is too tedious.

To activate selecting by touch, whenever you are drawing a rubberband
rectangle, just press Alt to switch it to the touch mode. The
rectangle will disappear and a red touch path will be shown instead.
When dragging from an empty space, you can press Alt first and then
start to drag to get the touch mode (note that your selection must be
empty, otherwise Alt+dragging will move the selected objects instead).
To start a touch selection from a point over an object, or to add to
existing selection by touching, press Shift+Alt and then start to
drag.

Comments:

I'm not too fond of the name "touch selection"; naming suggestions are
welcome. Note however that this is not a "lasso" because you don't
need to enclose objects, just touch them; and it is not "magic wand"
because it does not try to select similar-styled objects.

Some Adobe Illustrator users have requested a support for an AI-like
selection mode where any object _touched_ by the selection rectangle
is selected. Inkscape's new touch selection mode should satisfy them -
it is a superset of AI's functionality because a touch path can be
arbitrary and not only a box. Note, however, that AI gets this exactly
backwards: in it, a rectangle selection selects by touching, whereas a
freehand "lasso tool" needs to enclose objects to select them
(although its definition of "enclosing" is rather strange - I was able
to get very difficult to explain results with that tool).

--
bulia byak
Inkscape. Draw Freely.

Re: NEW: touch selection

Bill Baxter-2
On 4/12/07, bulia byak <[hidden email]> wrote:

> In Selector tool, a new object selection mode is available: selecting
> by touch. In this mode, you draw a freehand path across the objects;
> when you release mouse button, all objects that are touched by this
> path get selected. This mode is very convenient in situations where
> you need to select objects so intermingled that selecting them by the
> rectangular rubberband is too difficult and so numerous that
> click-selecting them one by one is too tedious.
>
> To activate selecting by touch, whenever you are drawing a rubberband
> rectangle, just press Alt to switch it to the touch mode. The
> rectangle will disappear and a red touch path will be shown instead.
> When dragging from an empty space, you can press Alt first and then
> start to drag to get the touch mode (note that your selection must be
> empty, otherwise Alt+dragging will move the selected objects instead).
> To start a touch selection from a point over an object, or to add to
> existing selection by touching, press Shift+Alt and then start to
> drag.
>
> Comments:
>
> I'm not too fond of the name "touch selection"; naming suggestions are
> welcome. Note however that this is not a "lasso" because you don't
> need to enclose objects, just touch them; and it is not "magic wand"
> because it does not try to select similar-styled objects.
>
> Some Adobe Illustrator users have requested a support for an AI-like
> selection mode where any object _touched_ by the selection rectangle
> is selected. Inkscape's new touch selection mode should satisfy them -
> it is a superset of AI's functionality because a touch path can be
> arbitrary and not only a box. Note, however, that AI gets this exactly
> backwards: in it, a rectangle selection selects by touching, whereas a
> freehand "lasso tool" needs to enclose objects to select them
> (although its definition of "enclosing" is rather strange - I was able
> to get very difficult to explain results with that tool).

Pretty neat.

One thing about the rect selection approach is that if you drag the
corner too far you can always just back up and no harm is done.  With
line drawing if I draw the line to far I guess I just have to
ESC-cancel and start over.  I think they can both be useful.

Other possible names would be :
* contact selection
* intersection selection
Or you might want to emphasize what it looks like rather than how it behaves:
* drawing selection
* scribble selection

--bb

Re: NEW: touch selection

singlecell
bulia byak wrote:
> Comments:
>
> I'm not too fond of the name "touch selection"; naming suggestions are
> welcome. Note however that this is not a "lasso" because you don't
> need to enclose objects, just touch them; and it is not "magic wand"
> because it does not try to select similar-styled objects.

What about using a fishing metaphor such as: Snag; hook; or catch?

Re: NEW: touch selection

Daniel Hulme-3
On Thu, Apr 12, 2007 at 05:39:55PM +0900, Bill Baxter wrote:
> On 4/12/07, bulia byak <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > I'm not too fond of the name "touch selection"; naming suggestions
> > are welcome. Note however that this is not a "lasso" because you
> > don't need to enclose objects, just touch them; and it is not "magic
> > wand" because it does not try to select similar-styled objects.

> Other possible names would be :

> * scribble selection

+1 for scribble selection. It has a nice ring to it, and for me, at
least, brings to mind the right mental image for how I'd expect the tool
to be used.

--
I went to the CO guess what he told me guess what he told me | apologies
He said  boy u better learn to like Win  no matter what u do | to Prince

Re: NEW: touch selection

Mourad Mokrane
> bulia byak wrote:
>> Comments:
>>
>> I'm not too fond of the name "touch selection"; naming suggestions are
>> welcome. Note however that this is not a "lasso" because you don't
>> need to enclose objects, just touch them; and it is not "magic wand"
>> because it does not try to select similar-styled objects.
>>

> What about using a fishing metaphor such as: Snag; hook; or catch?

What about "slip on"? (just a guess...)

Molumen

I'm protected by SpamBrave
http://www.spambrave.com/

Re: [Inkscape-devel] NEW: touch selection

Kaver-3
I am happy with touch selection. It describes what it does and has already
been used half a dozen times :-)
Erik

Erik Halbert

Re: [Inkscape-devel] NEW: touch selection

jon@rejon.org
Agree, it sounds cool and is mega useful.

Jon

Re: NEW: touch selection

Gustav Broberg
On Thu, 12 Apr 2007 05:16:08 -0300
"bulia byak" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> In Selector tool, a new object selection mode is available: selecting
> by touch. In this mode, you draw a freehand path across the objects;
> when you release mouse button, all objects that are touched by this
> path get selected. This mode is very convenient in situations where
> you need to select objects so intermingled that selecting them by the
> rectangular rubberband is too difficult and so numerous that
> click-selecting them one by one is too tedious.

Terrific! You're really adding great features every
day now, 0.46 will be amazing if you continue like this :)

I think it would make sense to have this selection mode for the node
context as well. It would probably be better to use the "lasso" kind of
selection for that as nodes are harder to hit.

--
Gustav

Re: [Inkscape-devel] NEW: touch selection

MenTaLguY
On Fri, 13 Apr 2007 01:41:48 +0200, Gustav Broberg <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I think it would make sense to have this selection mode for the node
> context as well. It would probably be better to use the "lasso" kind of
> selection for that as nodes are harder to hit.

Not necessarily -- I think "touch selection" should work pretty well for nodes provided there's a tolerance radius, where a node is selected so long as you get within some distance of it (the size of a node handle should be sufficient).

-mental

Re: [Inkscape-devel] NEW: touch selection

Aaron Elmquist
Any thoughts on doing this like a quick mask selection so areas can be painted in and out of the selection?

On 4/13/07, Aaron Elmquist <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Any thoughts on doing this like a quick mask selection so areas can be
> painted in and out of the selection?

Exclusion by touch, yes. I'm thinking about it. The only problem is to
sort out the keyboard modifiers.

--
bulia byak
Inkscape. Draw Freely.

Re: [Inkscape-devel] NEW: touch selection

john cliff-2
could we have a way to use the selected path as the 'touch' path
rather than having to draw it? so you can keep them?

On 4/13/07, bulia byak <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 4/13/07, Aaron Elmquist <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Any thoughts on doing this like a quick mask selection so areas can be
> > painted in and out of the selection?
>
> Exclusion by touch, yes. I'm thinking about it. The only problem is to
> sort out the keyboard modifiers.
>
> --
> bulia byak
> Inkscape. Draw Freely.
> http://www.inkscape.org

Re: [Inkscape-devel] NEW: touch selection

jiho

On 2007-April-13  , at 23:42 , bulia byak wrote:
> On 4/13/07, Aaron Elmquist <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Any thoughts on doing this like a quick mask selection so areas
>> can be
>> painted in and out of the selection?
>
> Exclusion by touch, yes. I'm thinking about it. The only problem is to
> sort out the keyboard modifiers.

Indeed, it seems the selector tool is out of modifiers. In fact there
is already a conflict: you used ALT for touch selection which steels
it from "Select under". "Select under" is listed in the "select
within group" section of keys.svg but in fact it worked everywhere
(and was quite useful in my opinion).
I am studying keys.svg and trying to come up with a decent solution
but I guess there is a point when a toggle will be needed to
accommodate for different sets of behaviors.

JiHO
---
http://jo.irisson.free.fr/

On 4/13/07, jiho <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Indeed, it seems the selector tool is out of modifiers. In fact there
> is already a conflict: you used ALT for touch selection which steels
> it from "Select under".

Nope, it was just a bug that I just found myself and fixed :)
Alt+click selects under, Alt+drag selects by touch. No conflict here.
Should work properly now, please test.

> "Select under" is listed in the "select
> within group" section of keys.svg but in fact it worked everywhere
> (and was quite useful in my opinion).

Actually the title of the section is <title>Select within group,
select under</title>, because they are kinda hard to separate. But it
does not mean of course that selecting under works only in groups.

> I am studying keys.svg and trying to come up with a decent solution
> but I guess there is a point when a toggle will be needed to
> accommodate for different sets of behaviors.

Maybe... but I'll keep trying :)

--
bulia byak
Inkscape. Draw Freely.

Re: [Inkscape-devel] NEW: touch selection

Andy Fitzsimon
okay ive used this for a few days now.

I think i'm in love .   reigon slection is better for many objects
within a awkward selection  imo .  but touch is  the best method for
me since i only work with a reduced number of element groups .

one problem i have is when i use a shape as the background image but
want to select only the objexts ontop/within it . reigon is still
better.

On 2007-April-14  , at 01:21 , Andy Fitzsimon wrote:
> okay ive used this for a few days now.
>
> I think i'm in love .   reigon slection is better for many objects
> within a awkward selection  imo .  but touch is  the best method for
> me since i only work with a reduced number of element groups .

I am in love too! I am trying the new engraving mode of the
calligraphy tool and with all these paths very close to each other,
scribble selection is a must (I think I understand why bulia came
with this great idea just after introducing engraving in the
calligraphy tool!... but well I do not read minds so I may as well be
mistaking)

> one problem i have is when i use a shape as the background image but
> want to select only the objexts ontop/within it . reigon is still
> better.

This annoys me too but in fact the problem is the same with rectangle
selection if you need to start selecting inside your background
shape. My solutions are:
- move the background shape to a separate layer and lock it
- lock the object itself (right clic > object properties > lock) but
then beware it is currently difficult to unlock if you close the
object properties window because you cannot select your object
directly anymore. The workaround is to deselect "Ignore locked
objects" in Inkscape preferences > Selecting and then you can tab
through your objects to select you background object to edit it (Tab
starts selecting objects from the bottom so it is usually quite
quick). Or you can use the xml editor of course.

JiHO
---
http://jo.irisson.free.fr/

Re: [Inkscape-devel] NEW: touch selection

bulia byak
On 4/13/07, jiho <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I am in love too! I am trying the new engraving mode of the
> calligraphy tool and with all these paths very close to each other,
> scribble selection is a must (I think I understand why bulia came
> with this great idea just after introducing engraving in the
> calligraphy tool!...

Spot on :)

--
bulia byak