Native File Dialogs for Windows are finally ready!!!

Native File Dialogs for Windows are finally ready!!!

Joel Holdsworth
Hi All,

I'm happy to announce, after all this time, that my native file dialogs
for windows are now ready. I cannot believe how long it's taken to get
them right, but they're working properly now - without needing any extra
dependencies in the end.

With the exception of the preview pane, the end result looks pretty
unremarkable, but then that's the point of a native dialog! - I
certainly wouldn't have believed the lengths it would be necessary to go
to implement this. I might not have embarked on the project if I'd know,
but it's done now.

I guess it's too late to add this patch to the .46 release, but my
NativeWin32FileDialogs branch is ready to be merged at an appropriate
time. Take a look, if you're interested, or take a look at the attached
screenshot.

The only reason we might want to merge before .46 is that the patch will
at the very least close these three bugs.

#167795 "Windows fails to enforce Security Policies for drives access"
#166158 "WIndows Shortcuts not visible in file dialogs"
#166814 "Win32: Open/Save dlgs cannot cope with multi-monitor setups"

Thanks
Joel

Final.png (103K) Download Attachment

Re: Native File Dialogs for Windows are finally ready!!!

Gail Carmichael
Joel Holdsworth wrote:
> I'm happy to announce, after all this time, that my native file dialogs
> for windows are now ready.

The screenshot looks great!! As a Windows user, I would definitely
prefer this style of dialog when using Inkscape.

Gail

Re: Native File Dialogs for Windows are finally ready!!!

the Adib
Gail,

then you should try the patch and tell if it is working for you :-)

Adib.

the Adib wrote:
> Gail,
>
> then you should try the patch and tell if it is working for you :-)
>
> Adib.

Yes, you are right.  Will try to do that soon...

Gail

Re: Native File Dialogs for Windows are finallyready!!!

Mourad Mokrane
Nice! Very very nice!
Is there a build for download somewhere with the patch included? I could
test it on Vista.

Also, will you add the preview on/off checkbox?

Thanks for your great add, windows users will really appreciate it!

Molumen

> I'm happy to announce, after all this time, that my native file dialogs
> for windows are now ready. I cannot believe how long it's taken to get
> them right, but they're working properly now - without needing any extra
> dependencies in the end.
>
> With the exception of the preview pane, the end result looks pretty
> unremarkable, but then that's the point of a native dialog! - I
> certainly wouldn't have believed the lengths it would be necessary to go
> to implement this. I might not have embarked on the project if I'd know,
> but it's done now.
>
> I guess it's too late to add this patch to the .46 release, but my
> NativeWin32FileDialogs branch is ready to be merged at an appropriate
> time. Take a look, if you're interested, or take a look at the attached
> screenshot.
>
> The only reason we might want to merge before .46 is that the patch will
> at the very least close these three bugs.
>
> #167795 "Windows fails to enforce Security Policies for drives access"
> #166158 "WIndows Shortcuts not visible in file dialogs"
> #166814 "Win32: Open/Save dlgs cannot cope with multi-monitor setups"
>
> Thanks
> Joel

Re: Native File Dialogs for Windows are finallyready!!!

Joel Holdsworth
> Is there a build for download somewhere with the patch included? I
> could test it on Vista.

Yes, you can get it from my SVN branch at

https://inkscape.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/inkscape/inkscape/branches/NativeWin32FileDialogs

If you do a check-out on that, you should be able to compile - no
problems.

> Also, will you add the preview on/off checkbox?

It's already added. Do you see that extra button on the right-hand end
of the toolbar?

On Thu, 2008-01-17 at 02:22 +0100, [hidden email] wrote:

> Nice! Very very nice!
> Is there a build for download somewhere with the patch included? I could
> test it on Vista.
>
> Also, will you add the preview on/off checkbox?
>
> Thanks for your great add, windows users will really appreciate it!
>
> Molumen

Tobias Jakobs-2
Hi!

On Jan 16, 2008 11:50 PM, Joel Holdsworth <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I'm happy to announce, after all this time, that my native file dialogs
> for windows are now ready.

Is this an Inkscape only dialog or have you added it to gtk? I ask,
because I'd like to see other gtk programs with an native dialog too.

Regards,
Tobias

Re: Native File Dialogs for Windows are finally ready!!!

Joel Holdsworth
I'm afraid this patch is an inkscape only patch - because the SVG
preview pane requires a lot of inkscape specific code. However, the
method for making a generic GTK native file dialog from the inkscape
code should be fairly straightforward. The main problem is that the GTK
dialog allows you to do  strange things like add extra controls, and
tweak the layout of the dialog - something that clearly can't be
replicated with a native dialog. I guess it would be necessary to create
a family of GTK classes for native dialogs on different platforms, but
with support for layout tweaking, and extra controls removed.

(I believe the present GTK dialog has support for adding a single extra
preview widget - there is some chance that it might be possible to host
this inside the native Win32 dialog. I don't know)

The real question is: How interested would the GTK folks be in
implementing something like this? How would I find out? Also, I'm a bit
sick of file dialogs at the moment, after spending 10 months
painstakingly ironing out 1000s of tiny little subtle problems. But I'd
be happy to show some else what to do!

On Jan 18, 2008 12:13 PM, Joel Holdsworth <[hidden email]> wrote:
> The real question is: How interested would the GTK folks be in
> implementing something like this? How would I find out?

Ask them on the mailinglist and and link to this blog:
http://www.mmiworks.net/eng/publications/2007/10/cross-is-bunk.html

Tell them it's important for the usability.

> Also, I'm a bit
> sick of file dialogs at the moment, after spending 10 months
> painstakingly ironing out 1000s of tiny little subtle problems. But I'd
> be happy to show some else what to do!

The big pro from pushing it into gtk is that you don't need to care
about it in the Inkscape code.

Regards,
Tobias

Joel Holdsworth wrote:
Is there a build for download somewhere with the patch included? I
could test it on Vista.

Yes, you can get it from my SVN branch at

https://inkscape.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/inkscape/inkscape/branches/NativeWin32FileDialogs

If you do a check-out on that, you should be able to compile - no
problems.

Was about to give this a try.  Quick question - since I don't have python and don't want to bother with it for now, how can I get your build to disable or something? Trying to run inkscape just gives me the error that the dll can't be found (didn't happen to me before, though I wasn't using the most up to date version).

Thanks
Gail

Re: Native File Dialogs for Windows are finallyready!!!

Joel Holdsworth
Doesn't all the python stuff (and all the other libraries) come out of
the DLL pack? - devlibs? from
http://inkscape.modevia.com/win32libs/devlibs-2.12-071115.7z

On Fri, 2008-01-18 at 14:00 -0500, Gail Carmichael wrote:

> Joel Holdsworth wrote:
> > > Is there a build for download somewhere with the patch included? I
> > > could test it on Vista.
> > >
> > Yes, you can get it from my SVN branch at
> >
> > https://inkscape.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/inkscape/inkscape/branches/NativeWin32FileDialogs
> >
> > If you do a check-out on that, you should be able to compile - no
> > problems.
>
> Was about to give this a try.  Quick question - since I don't have
> python and don't want to bother with it for now, how can I get your
> build to disable or something? Trying to run inkscape just gives me
> the error that the dll can't be found (didn't happen to me before,
> though I wasn't using the most up to date version).
>
> Thanks
> Gail

Re: Native File Dialogs for Windows are finallyready!!!

Joel Holdsworth
> I don't think I've ever had to add python to my path or anything like
> that before...

No neither have I. There must be something funny going on there. What
exactly is the error? Is it compile time or runtime? The python code has
been reworked somewhat, but I don't know of any major changes for the
past few months.

I'm 99% sure this won't help, but there is a small chance that I
accidental committed my own modified build.xml - it should be the same
as the mainline build.xml. My modifications were minor - like getting
the command line to show. But there's a small chance that might be
messing things up for you somehow, but I can't see how, because it
compiles fine on my XP-Home laptop.

Joel Holdsworth wrote:
> I'm 99% sure this won't help, but there is a small chance that I
> accidental committed my own modified build.xml - it should be the same
> as the mainline build.xml. My modifications were minor - like getting
> the command line to show. But there's a small chance that might be
> messing things up for you somehow, but I can't see how, because it
> compiles fine on my XP-Home laptop.

Ok, I just tried the main branch and it was fine.  I'll play with the
build file and let you know if that helped.

Gail

Gail Carmichael wrote:
> Ok, I just tried the main branch and it was fine.  I'll play with the
> build file and let you know if that helped.

Using the build file from the main branched fixed the problem.

By the way, it was a runtime error.  Before the main Inkscape window
could load an error dialog popped up saying it couldn't find the python
dll.  Weird.

Anyway, that should mean that your code is ok - just don't check in your
build file ;)

Gail

Gail Carmichael wrote:
> Using the build file from the main branched fixed the problem.

Oh yeah, and I really like the dialog! The only thing I wasn't sure
about was the preview button - a regular checkbox somewhere else
probably would be more obvious.

Re: Native File Dialogs for Windows are finallyready!!!

Joel Holdsworth
> Using the build file from the main branched fixed the problem.

Ok, thanks for discovering that. I'll be sure to sort that out.

> Oh yeah, and I really like the dialog! The only thing I wasn't sure
> about was the preview button - a regular checkbox somewhere else
> probably would be more obvious.

Yes I kinda agree. I'm just not sure where to fit such a tick box.
Especially when in some languages that caption could become the english
equivalent of "Display to the viewer an initial showing of the selected
document" or whatever. But I agree it's not as clear as it could be!

Bugzilla from myhaella5@yahoo.co.uk
Joel Holdsworth wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I'm happy to announce, after all this time, that my native file dialogs
> for windows are now ready.
>
> Thanks
> Joel

I presume we will lose the option to add favorite folders to the
selection on the left? *cry*