New Team Icons: Highlight

Martin Owens-2
Dear Developers and Users,

I have been working with Tim Jones to develop some new icons for the
website. I wanted the icons to have a theme and to carry a bit of
identity for the teams they represent. So we went with hats. See the
lovely icons in-situ here:

https://inkscape.org/en/teams/

Showing off the art is actually not just what I want to communicate.
Firstly I want to thank Tim, because they have been awesome to work
with and very productive with the brief. I highly recommend.

I approached Tim because he'd produced a piece of artwork with Inkscape
and submitted it to our website (inkscape.org). The way we can host a
small portion of our user's work on the website, is really something
great for our community. Firstly because it shows us what great things
can be done with the software, but also because it humbles us
developers to know that our code is helping make such amazing work.

Getting new collaborators into a project is hard. Getting non-
programmer contributions is harder still. But the way our website can
highlight non-developer aspects of our community; gifts us an
opportunity to expand the reaches of the contributing population, to
bring in new people and help them contribute in whatever small way they
can.

If you find yourself browsing the website, and you get an idea about
how we might make the user community even better through improvements
to the how the website works. I want you to let me know. Because users
are just as important as developers, and helping people come together
helps all parts of the project.

Thanks for listening!

Best Regards, Martin Owens
Website Administrator

Re: [Inkscape-user] New Team Icons: Highlight

Tavmjong Bah
On Fri, 2017-07-21 at 04:09 -0400, Martin Owens wrote:
> Dear Developers and Users,
>
> I have been working with Tim Jones to develop some new icons for the
> website. I wanted the icons to have a theme and to carry a bit of
> identity for the teams they represent. So we went with hats. See the
> lovely icons in-situ here:
>
> https://inkscape.org/en/teams/

Really nice work!

Re: New Team Icons: Highlight

Good mail, good definitions and beatiful icons!

On Fri, 2017-07-21 at 04:09 -0400, Martin Owens wrote:

> Dear Developers and Users,
>
> I have been working with Tim Jones to develop some new icons for the
> website. I wanted the icons to have a theme and to carry a bit of
> identity for the teams they represent. So we went with hats. See the
> lovely icons in-situ here:
>
> https://inkscape.org/en/teams/
>
> Showing off the art is actually not just what I want to communicate.
> Firstly I want to thank Tim, because they have been awesome to work
> with and very productive with the brief. I highly recommend.
>
> I approached Tim because he'd produced a piece of artwork with
> Inkscape
> and submitted it to our website (inkscape.org). The way we can host a
> small portion of our user's work on the website, is really something
> great for our community. Firstly because it shows us what great
> things
> can be done with the software, but also because it humbles us
> developers to know that our code is helping make such amazing work.
>
> Getting new collaborators into a project is hard. Getting non-
> programmer contributions is harder still. But the way our website can
> highlight non-developer aspects of our community; gifts us an
> opportunity to expand the reaches of the contributing population, to
> bring in new people and help them contribute in whatever small way
> they
> can.
>
> If you find yourself browsing the website, and you get an idea about
> how we might make the user community even better through improvements
> to the how the website works. I want you to let me know. Because
> users
> are just as important as developers, and helping people come together
> helps all parts of the project.
>
> Thanks for listening!
>
> Best Regards, Martin Owens
> Website Administrator

Re: New Team Icons: Highlight

Victor Westmann
Holly cow! these icons are really beautiful! Great job everyone!

--Victor Westmann

Good mail, good definitions and beatiful icons!

On Fri, 2017-07-21 at 04:09 -0400, Martin Owens wrote:
> Dear Developers and Users,
>
> I have been working with Tim Jones to develop some new icons for the
> website. I wanted the icons to have a theme and to carry a bit of
> identity for the teams they represent. So we went with hats. See the
> lovely icons in-situ here:
>
> https://inkscape.org/en/teams/
>
> Showing off the art is actually not just what I want to communicate.
> Firstly I want to thank Tim, because they have been awesome to work
> with and very productive with the brief. I highly recommend.
>
> I approached Tim because he'd produced a piece of artwork with
> Inkscape
> and submitted it to our website (inkscape.org). The way we can host a
> small portion of our user's work on the website, is really something
> great for our community. Firstly because it shows us what great
> things
> can be done with the software, but also because it humbles us
> developers to know that our code is helping make such amazing work.
>
> Getting new collaborators into a project is hard. Getting non-
> programmer contributions is harder still. But the way our website can
> highlight non-developer aspects of our community; gifts us an
> opportunity to expand the reaches of the contributing population, to
> bring in new people and help them contribute in whatever small way
> they
> can.
>
> If you find yourself browsing the website, and you get an idea about
> how we might make the user community even better through improvements
> to the how the website works. I want you to let me know. Because
> users
> are just as important as developers, and helping people come together
> helps all parts of the project.
>
> Thanks for listening!
>
> Best Regards, Martin Owens
> Website Administrator

Re: New Team Icons: Highlight

On Fri, Jul 21, 2017 at 04:09:46AM -0400, Martin Owens wrote:
> Dear Developers and Users,
>
> I have been working with Tim Jones to develop some new icons for the
> website. I wanted the icons to have a theme and to carry a bit of
> identity for the teams they represent. So we went with hats. See the
> lovely icons in-situ here:
>
> https://inkscape.org/en/teams/

Very nice, impressive work.

> Showing off the art is actually not just what I want to communicate.
> Firstly I want to thank Tim, because they have been awesome to work
> with and very productive with the brief. I highly recommend.
>
> I approached Tim because he'd produced a piece of artwork with Inkscape
> and submitted it to our website (inkscape.org). The way we can host a
> small portion of our user's work on the website, is really something
> great for our community. Firstly because it shows us what great things
> can be done with the software, but also because it humbles us
> developers to know that our code is helping make such amazing work.
>
> Getting new collaborators into a project is hard. Getting non-
> programmer contributions is harder still. But the way our website can
> highlight non-developer aspects of our community; gifts us an

Agreed.  I think one important thing is to shift our mindset by shifting
our terminology.  Your phrasing 'new collaborators' is perfect for
example.  'collaborator' and 'contributor' are inclusive of a wide range
of people and thus puts their work on par with everyone elses', as it
should be.

I personally think of 'developer' as broader than just 'programmer' -
(software development requires a broad range of skills so a developer is
anyone that helps improve the software), but trying to redefine it is
probably a lost cause, I'll have to admit.  To most people 'coder',
'programmer', and 'developer' are going to sound synonymous.

Anyway, along this line of thinking, I'd suggest a slight rephrasing:

"""
Inkscape Developer

The designers, programmers, testers and writers who wrangle the software
into a usable form. This is the main body of people who work on
inkscape's most technical aspects and they are often found in the
inkscape-developer's mailing list.

"""

I think this may be a bit more respectful of the skillsets needed to
create the software.

> opportunity to expand the reaches of the contributing population, to
> bring in new people and help them contribute in whatever small way they
> can.
>
> If you find yourself browsing the website, and you get an idea about
> how we might make the user community even better through improvements
> to the how the website works. I want you to let me know. Because users
> are just as important as developers, and helping people come together
> helps all parts of the project.
>
> Thanks for listening!
>
> Best Regards, Martin Owens
> Website Administrator

Re: New Team Icons: Highlight

Love the new icons!

Thanks Martin and Tim.

Actually I'd love to see more graphics on the website.  Besides the basic theme
created by Hineringi, I'd like to see some kind of graphic on almost every page,
that sort of holds the whole site together in a graphical way.

I'm just thinking of some little (maybe even tiny) kind of cartoon character in
the corner, or maybe above the black menu bar, between the logo on the left, and
the search bar on the right.  Just something to catch the eye, and maybe you
want to linger a little longer on the page.  Different characters for different
pages or sections?

Wish I had those skills, but I don't.  Would also like to see it perhaps as a
community effort.  Maybe something like, which artist wants to adopt this page?
Or maybe just a straight up call for submission, or contest or something?

Anyway, thanks again  :-)

Re: New Team Icons: Highlight

Maren Hachmann
The icons are very nice, Tim :)

Maybe the div background should be changed, or one added to the pngs,
though:
https://inkscape.org/en/*board
https://inkscape.org/en/*editor
https://inkscape.org/en/*moderators

(black on black is /a little/ difficult to distinguish)

Maren