New developer member

123

New developer member

Mare Soria
Hi everyone! After a few years using Inkscape I finally decided to get involved with their development.

I think that Inkscape it's the best alternative to  Adobe Illustrator, but I feel like is needed a big upgrade, fundamentally on their interface that looks like very old and caotic.

Unfortunately, I'm a web developer, so I don't know how to code in C++ but I can develop the UI/UX design.

Is there someone hightly motivated to develop with me a nice update for 2019?

Marién

Re: New developer member

doctormo
Welcome Mare Soria,

I'm a web developer too (I work on the inkscape.org website) and have
been pushing the inkscape codebase slowly towards being more
'designable' i.e. giving the ability to change the user interface by
using Glade XML (aka Gnome UI Builder) and our own xml files for things
like menus, keyboard shortcuts etc.

Not everything is configurable, but it's in a better place now.

But to really get a handle on these new changes, you have to be running
the current trunk version of Inkscape. Gtk3 and all. There's also the
ability to change the Gtk CSS (it's not real css, it's just sort-of
css) which can change the default look of the app.

Let me know when you get a working version of Inkscape trunk, it's due
to become 1.0 after a few beta releases.

Best Regards, Martin Owens

On Fri, 2018-06-29 at 11:54 -0300, Mare Soria wrote:

> Hi everyone! After a few years using Inkscape I finally decided to
> get involved with their development.
>
> I think that Inkscape it's the best alternative to  Adobe
> Illustrator, but I feel like is needed a big upgrade, fundamentally
> on their interface that looks like very old and caotic.
>
> Unfortunately, I'm a web developer, so I don't know how to code in
> C++ but I can develop the UI/UX design.
>
> Is there someone hightly motivated to develop with me a nice update
> for 2019?
>
> Marién

Re: New developer member

Mare Soria
Hi Martin! Nice to meet you colleague!
Yeap, I rebember that one time ago I try to change the interface on my desktop but was really difficult. I'll take a look to those new features you have implemented, maybe now become most easy for me.
In any case I can develop the mockups for the new interface.

Can you tell me when plan to launch a new version?

El vie., 29 de jun. de 2018 a la(s) 12:38, <[hidden email]> escribió:
Welcome Mare Soria,

I'm a web developer too (I work on the inkscape.org website) and have
been pushing the inkscape codebase slowly towards being more
'designable' i.e. giving the ability to change the user interface by
using Glade XML (aka Gnome UI Builder) and our own xml files for things
like menus, keyboard shortcuts etc.

Not everything is configurable, but it's in a better place now.

But to really get a handle on these new changes, you have to be running
the current trunk version of Inkscape. Gtk3 and all. There's also the
ability to change the Gtk CSS (it's not real css, it's just sort-of
css) which can change the default look of the app.

Let me know when you get a working version of Inkscape trunk, it's due
to become 1.0 after a few beta releases.

Best Regards, Martin Owens

On Fri, 2018-06-29 at 11:54 -0300, Mare Soria wrote:
> Hi everyone! After a few years using Inkscape I finally decided to
> get involved with their development.
>
> I think that Inkscape it's the best alternative to  Adobe
> Illustrator, but I feel like is needed a big upgrade, fundamentally
> on their interface that looks like very old and caotic.
>
> Unfortunately, I'm a web developer, so I don't know how to code in
> C++ but I can develop the UI/UX design.
>
> Is there someone hightly motivated to develop with me a nice update
> for 2019?
>
> Marién

Re: New developer member

Victor Westmann

Hi Mare Soria,

 Welcome!

 I feel exactly the same. This project is extremely useful and powerful but the UI makes it look old. I was wondering if we could join forces to propose a new design of the icons on the project and maybe even create a small new project instead.

 I was just wondering if we could gather graphic designers, icon makers and people of the same nature to design a dark ui theme for inkscape on Windows and Mac OS platforms (because I Know this was already done in Linux). And we could redesign all of the icons. Just like Gimp did. The new UI gimp has is super pretty, modern, and doesn’t fatigue our eyes (because of the dark theme and colors).  https://www.gimp.org/release-notes/gimp-2.10.html

 This would also address the new monitor resolutions that people will use inkscape (4K or really big resolutions).

 What do you say?

--Victor Westmann

Re: New developer member

Mare Soria
I'm in my friend!
Yeap, the new Gimp style is lovely.
I had started to change the icons a time ago, but there are many! I have personally choosen a minimalistic version and for do that helps me the free icons of Material Design by Google.  https://material.io/tools/icons/?style=baseline

I just start work around the new interface structure. You can contact me at any moment!

El vie., 29 de jun. de 2018 a la(s) 15:59, Victor Westmann ([hidden email]) escribió:

[...]

amazing!

I would say that a good starting point for us is to gather more people that could potentially also want to help us redesign the icons (maybe announce it somewhere?) and measure the efforts of this work first.
I believe that the file that stores all (or at least most) of the icons that are used in the UI are stored in: %Inkscape_DIR%\inkscape\share\icons\icons.svg

Depending on the architecture of the Inkscape you installed (32 or 64 bit) it should be in one of those two places:

32 bit >> C:\Program Files\inkscape\share\icons\icons.svg
64 bit >> C:\Program Files (x86)\inkscape\share\icons\icons.svg

My initial idea is represented here https://ibb.co/gK6OxJ

I have some drawing abilities but I am not a designer.

Let me know what you think and how can I help!

--Victor Westmann

On Fri, Jun 29, 2018 at 12:22 PM, Mare Soria <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

I think is a great idea, something like two icons for each designer, for example. But for do that we need encourage the community. We need more interaction with our users.

About the image you share with me: I'm trying to figure out what are you trying to show me. And that make me think about we need a good tool to share designs ideas!
Please, explain me with words you idea.
I'll try to make a list of apps we can use for improve our design comunication.

El vie., 29 de jun. de 2018 a la(s) 17:10, Victor Westmann ([hidden email]) escribió:
[...]

Jabier Arraiza
We have done symbolic icons for inkscape. They are pretty cool.
You can use in inkscape overwriting the icons.svg file thith the file
in this link.

https://gitlab.com/inkscape/inkscape/blob/0.92.x/share/icons/symbolic_icons.svg
With a svg ¿single? text search&replace you can tweak for dark ui the icons (more suitable to be white UI)

Work for 0.92.x for PreAlpha1 (development) is don't done jet.

Regards.

On Fri, 2018-06-29 at 17:22 -0300, Mare Soria wrote:

> "I would say that a good starting point for us is to gather more
> people that could potentially also want to help us redesign the
> icons"
> I think is a great idea, something like two icons for each designer,
> for example. But for do that we need encourage the community. We need
> more interaction with our users.
>
> About the image you share with me: I'm trying to figure out what are
> you trying to show me. And that make me think about we need a good
> tool to share designs ideas!
> Please, explain me with words you idea.
> I'll try to make a list of apps we can use for improve our design
> comunication.
>
> El vie., 29 de jun. de 2018 a la(s) 17:10, Victor Westmann (victor.we
> [hidden email]) escribió:
> > Hi Mare,
> >
> > amazing!
> >
> > I would say that a good starting point for us is to gather more
> > people that could potentially also want to help us redesign the
> > icons (maybe announce it somewhere?) and measure the efforts of
> > this work first.
> > I believe that the file that stores all (or at least most) of the
> > icons that are used in the UI are stored in:
> > %Inkscape_DIR%\inkscape\share\icons\icons.svg
> >
> > Depending on the architecture of the Inkscape you installed (32 or
> > 64 bit) it should be in one of those two places:
> >
> > 32 bit >> C:\Program Files\inkscape\share\icons\icons.svg
> > 64 bit >> C:\Program Files (x86)\inkscape\share\icons\icons.svg
> >
> > My initial idea is represented here https://ibb.co/gK6OxJ
> >
> > I have some drawing abilities but I am not a designer.
> >
> > Let me know what you think and how can I help!
> >

> > --Victor Westmann
> >
> > On Fri, Jun 29, 2018 at 12:22 PM, Mare Soria <[hidden email]>
> > wrote:
> > > I'm in my friend!
> > > Yeap, the new Gimp style is lovely.
> > > I had started to change the icons a time ago, but there are many!
> > > I have personally choosen a minimalistic version and for do that
> > > helps me the free icons of Material Design by Google.  https://ma
> > > terial.io/tools/icons/?style=baseline
> > >
> > > I just start work around the new interface structure. You can
> > > contact me at any moment!

Re: New developer member

mihaela.jurkovic

Welcome Mare!

Thank you for deciding to join the development efforts in addition to using Inkscape :)

A long time ago there was an icon theme I liked the best, although some of them I found are better in the default theme. The icon theme had something to do with the tango color palette, and can still be found on GitLab in older branches:

https://gitlab.com/inkscape/inkscape/blob/0.92.x.FixBug1777530/share/icons/tango_icons.svg

It might be nice to review it, and other themes if there are more thus far, to use as a base for the new dark theme.

I also noticed some tooltips and preferences that could be worded in a way that is more friendly to non-experienced users. I'll gather them up in an Issue on GitLab to get feedback.

Maybe GitLab could be used as the collaboration tool, since it's already being used for Inkscape development?

What features do you think are necessary in an UX improvement collaboration tool?

Mihaela

On 29.06.2018 22:22, Mare Soria wrote:
[...]

Hi Jabier,

This is a really nice set. Do you know who built it?

Do you know if we have a "catalog" of all the available icons we can use in Inkscape?

So for now we have

default icons
tango icons
symbolic icons

Am I missing any other one?
If we know about all of them in the future this will be able to become an option inside of the application ;-)

Regards,

--Victor Westmann

On Fri, Jun 29, 2018 at 1:46 PM, Jabier Arraiza <[hidden email]> wrote:
We have done symbolic icons for inkscape. They are pretty cool.
You can use in inkscape overwriting the icons.svg file thith the file
in this link.

https://gitlab.com/inkscape/inkscape/blob/0.92.x/share/icons/symbolic_icons.svg
With a svg ¿single? text search&replace you can tweak for dark ui the icons (more suitable to be white UI)

Work for 0.92.x for PreAlpha1 (development) is don't done jet.

Regards.

On Fri, 2018-06-29 at 17:22 -0300, Mare Soria wrote:
> "I would say that a good starting point for us is to gather more
> people that could potentially also want to help us redesign the
> icons"
> I think is a great idea, something like two icons for each designer,
> for example. But for do that we need encourage the community. We need
> more interaction with our users.
>
> About the image you share with me: I'm trying to figure out what are
> you trying to show me. And that make me think about we need a good
> tool to share designs ideas!
> Please, explain me with words you idea.
> I'll try to make a list of apps we can use for improve our design
> comunication.
>
> El vie., 29 de jun. de 2018 a la(s) 17:10, Victor Westmann (victor.we
> [hidden email]) escribió:
> > Hi Mare,
> >
> > amazing!
> >
> > I would say that a good starting point for us is to gather more
> > people that could potentially also want to help us redesign the
> > icons (maybe announce it somewhere?) and measure the efforts of
> > this work first.
> > I believe that the file that stores all (or at least most) of the
> > icons that are used in the UI are stored in:
> > %Inkscape_DIR%\inkscape\share\icons\icons.svg
> >
> > Depending on the architecture of the Inkscape you installed (32 or
> > 64 bit) it should be in one of those two places:
> >
> > 32 bit >> C:\Program Files\inkscape\share\icons\icons.svg
> > 64 bit >> C:\Program Files (x86)\inkscape\share\icons\icons.svg
> >
> > My initial idea is represented here https://ibb.co/gK6OxJ
> >
> > I have some drawing abilities but I am not a designer.
> >
> > Let me know what you think and how can I help!
> >

> > --Victor Westmann
> >
> > On Fri, Jun 29, 2018 at 12:22 PM, Mare Soria <[hidden email]>
> > wrote:
> > > I'm in my friend!
> > > Yeap, the new Gimp style is lovely.
> > > I had started to change the icons a time ago, but there are many!
> > > I have personally choosen a minimalistic version and for do that
> > > helps me the free icons of Material Design by Google.  https://ma
> > > terial.io/tools/icons/?style=baseline
> > >
> > > I just start work around the new interface structure. You can
> > > contact me at any moment!

Re: New developer member

Jabier Arraiza
Is a mixed work for a lot of people, I think is generated with the suv
work that also add some icons.

I dont know. Now Im moving symboloc icons to devel folowing Tav work.
Think soon are available.

Regards, Jabier.

On Fri, 2018-06-29 at 16:14 -0700, Victor Westmann wrote:

> Hi Jabier,
>
> This is a really nice set. Do you know who built it?
>
> Do you know if we have a "catalog" of all the available icons we can
> use in Inkscape?
>
> So for now we have
>
> default icons
> tango icons
> symbolic icons
>
> Am I missing any other one?
> If we know about all of them in the future this will be able to
> become an option inside of the application ;-)
>
> Regards,
>

> --Victor Westmann
>
> On Fri, Jun 29, 2018 at 1:46 PM, Jabier Arraiza <jabier.arraiza@marke
> r.es> wrote:
> > We have done symbolic icons for inkscape. They are pretty cool.
> > You can use in inkscape overwriting the icons.svg file thith the
> > file
> > in this link.
> >
> > https://gitlab.com/inkscape/inkscape/blob/0.92.x/share/icons/symbol
> > ic_icons.svg
> > With a svg ¿single? text search&replace you can tweak for dark ui
> > the icons (more suitable to be white UI)
> >
> > Work for 0.92.x for PreAlpha1 (development) is don't done jet.
> >
> > Regards.
> >

> > On Fri, 2018-06-29 at 17:22 -0300, Mare Soria wrote:
> > > "I would say that a good starting point for us is to gather more
> > > people that could potentially also want to help us redesign the
> > > icons"
> > > I think is a great idea, something like two icons for each
> > designer,
> > > for example. But for do that we need encourage the community. We
> > need
> > > more interaction with our users.
> > >
> > > About the image you share with me: I'm trying to figure out what
> > are
> > > you trying to show me. And that make me think about we need a
> > good
> > > tool to share designs ideas!
> > > Please, explain me with words you idea.
> > > I'll try to make a list of apps we can use for improve our design
> > > comunication.
> > >
> > > El vie., 29 de jun. de 2018 a la(s) 17:10, Victor Westmann
> > (victor.we

> > the

> > or

> > com>
> > many!
> > that
> > //ma

> > (victo

> > and
> > we
> > the

> > ui
> > all
> > super
> > the
> > /gim

Re: New developer member

doctormo
Dear All!

I believe Alex worked on making all the icons seperate files for the
hackfest, those large icon pack svg files might not work in trunk any
more. Although I think there's a script to unpack them.

So either way, take care to maintain compatibility with the next
version by using (or testing) with the trunk version itself.

Best Regards, Martin Owens

On Sat, 2018-06-30 at 01:33 +0200, Jabier Arraiza wrote:

> Is a mixed work for a lot of people, I think is generated with the
> suv
> work that also add some icons.
>
> I dont know. Now Im moving symboloc icons to devel folowing Tav work.
> Think soon are available.
>
> Regards, Jabier.
>

> On Fri, 2018-06-29 at 16:14 -0700, Victor Westmann wrote:
> > Hi Jabier,
> >
> > This is a really nice set. Do you know who built it?
> >
> > Do you know if we have a "catalog" of all the available icons we
> > can
> > use in Inkscape?
> >
> > So for now we have
> >
> > default icons
> > tango icons
> > symbolic icons
> >
> > Am I missing any other one?
> > If we know about all of them in the future this will be able to
> > become an option inside of the application ;-)
> >
> > Regards,
> >

> > --Victor Westmann
> >
> > On Fri, Jun 29, 2018 at 1:46 PM, Jabier Arraiza <jabier.arraiza@mar
> > ke
> > r.es> wrote:
> > > We have done symbolic icons for inkscape. They are pretty cool.
> > > You can use in inkscape overwriting the icons.svg file thith the
> > > file
> > > in this link.
> > >
> > > https://gitlab.com/inkscape/inkscape/blob/0.92.x/share/icons/symb
> > > ol
> > > ic_icons.svg
> > > With a svg ¿single? text search&replace you can tweak for dark ui
> > > the icons (more suitable to be white UI)
> > >
> > > Work for 0.92.x for PreAlpha1 (development) is don't done jet.
> > >
> > > Regards.

> > > designer,
> > >
> > > need

> > > are
> > >
> > > good

> > > (victor.we

> > > the

> > > or

> > > com>
> > >
> > > many!
> > >
> > > that
> > >
> > > //ma

> > > (victo

> > > and
> > >
> > > we
> > >
> > > the

> > > ui

> > > all
> > >
> > > super
> > >
> > > the
> > >
> > > /gim

Re: New developer member

Victor Westmann
Hi All,

How is everyone doing today? ;-)

Indeed Martin! I just downloaded Tango Icons (form Mihaela's link ( https://gitlab.com/inkscape/inkscape/blob/0.92.x.FixBug1777530/share/icons/tango_icons.svg ))
and downloaded Symbolic icons from Jabier ( https://gitlab.com/inkscape/inkscape/blob/0.92.x/share/icons/symbolic_icons.svg) and renamed them to "icons.svg"
in %inkscape_dir%\share\icons\icons.svg and it did NOT work.

Do you guys know what needs to be done for the icons to be replaced by either the "tango" or the "symbolic" icons?

As soon as I know how to replace them I will start doing some testing...

Thanks everyone for the assistance so far!

--Victor Westmann

On Fri, Jun 29, 2018 at 5:10 PM, <[hidden email]> wrote:
Dear All!

I believe Alex worked on making all the icons seperate files for the
hackfest, those large icon pack svg files might not work in trunk any
more. Although I think there's a script to unpack them.

So either way, take care to maintain compatibility with the next
version by using (or testing) with the trunk version itself.

Best Regards, Martin Owens

On Sat, 2018-06-30 at 01:33 +0200, Jabier Arraiza wrote:
> Is a mixed work for a lot of people, I think is generated with the
> suv
> work that also add some icons.
>
> I dont know. Now Im moving symboloc icons to devel folowing Tav work.
> Think soon are available.
>
> Regards, Jabier.
>

> On Fri, 2018-06-29 at 16:14 -0700, Victor Westmann wrote:
> > Hi Jabier,
> >
> > This is a really nice set. Do you know who built it?
> >
> > Do you know if we have a "catalog" of all the available icons we
> > can
> > use in Inkscape?
> >
> > So for now we have
> >
> > default icons
> > tango icons
> > symbolic icons
> >
> > Am I missing any other one?
> > If we know about all of them in the future this will be able to
> > become an option inside of the application ;-)
> >
> > Regards,
> >

> > --Victor Westmann
> >
> > On Fri, Jun 29, 2018 at 1:46 PM, Jabier Arraiza <jabier.arraiza@mar
> > ke
> > r.es> wrote:
> > > We have done symbolic icons for inkscape. They are pretty cool.
> > > You can use in inkscape overwriting the icons.svg file thith the
> > > file
> > > in this link.
> > >
> > > https://gitlab.com/inkscape/inkscape/blob/0.92.x/share/icons/symb
> > > ol
> > > ic_icons.svg
> > > With a svg ¿single? text search&replace you can tweak for dark ui
> > > the icons (more suitable to be white UI)
> > >
> > > Work for 0.92.x for PreAlpha1 (development) is don't done jet.
> > >
> > > Regards.

> > > designer,
> > >
> > > need

> > > are
> > >
> > > good

> > > (victor.we

> > > the

> > > or

> > > com>
> > >
> > > many!
> > >
> > > that
> > >
> > > //ma

> > > (victo

> > > and
> > >
> > > we
> > >
> > > the

> > > ui

> > > all
> > >
> > > super
> > >
> > > the
> > >
> > > /gim

Re: New developer member

Victor Westmann
Hi Everyone,

Just so I can start doing some tests... could you please help me understand a few things about the icons used in the toolbars inside Inkscape 0.92.3?

What is the size I need to build the icons? (or tweak the existing ones?) 32x32 px? I am sorry if this is a silly question.

And should all the icons be in the same file (just like icons.svg that was previously discussed in this thread) or should the icon files be stored in individual files?
The format we need to use them is PNG or SVG?

Thanks!

--Victor Westmann

On Fri, Jun 29, 2018 at 5:32 PM, Victor Westmann <[hidden email]> wrote:
> [...]

> > Am I missing any other one?
> > If we know about all of them in the future this will be able to
> > become an option inside of the application ;-)
> >
> > Regards,
> >

> > --Victor Westmann
> >
> > On Fri, Jun 29, 2018 at 1:46 PM, Jabier Arraiza <jabier.arraiza@mar
> > ke
> > r.es> wrote:
> > > We have done symbolic icons for inkscape. They are pretty cool.
> > > You can use in inkscape overwriting the icons.svg file thith the
> > > file
> > > in this link.
> > >
> > > https://gitlab.com/inkscape/inkscape/blob/0.92.x/share/icons/symb
> > > ol
> > > ic_icons.svg
> > > With a svg ¿single? text search&replace you can tweak for dark ui
> > > the icons (more suitable to be white UI)
> > >
> > > Work for 0.92.x for PreAlpha1 (development) is don't done jet.

Re: New developer member

Marién Soria

Hi guys! It's Mare from a different email. Mare and Marién is the same person.

Some one can tell me how many people are in the developer team?
I trying to find the correct and free tool for share design ideas and get feedback about it.

Do we have a twitter or facebook page?

Maybe it will be nice make a survey to learn about our users. Like a user experience research. What do you think?

El 14:18 Sáb Jun 30, 2018, Victor Westmann <[hidden email]> escribió:
> [...]

> > Am I missing any other one?
> > If we know about all of them in the future this will be able to
> > become an option inside of the application ;-)
> >
> > Regards,
> >

> > --Victor Westmann
> >
> > On Fri, Jun 29, 2018 at 1:46 PM, Jabier Arraiza <jabier.arraiza@mar
> > ke
> > r.es> wrote:
> > > We have done symbolic icons for inkscape. They are pretty cool.
> > > You can use in inkscape overwriting the icons.svg file thith the
> > > file
> > > in this link.
> > >
> > > https://gitlab.com/inkscape/inkscape/blob/0.92.x/share/icons/symb
> > > ol
> > > ic_icons.svg
> > > With a svg ¿single? text search&replace you can tweak for dark ui
> > > the icons (more suitable to be white UI)
> > >
> > > Work for 0.92.x for PreAlpha1 (development) is don't done jet.

Re: New developer member

Geoff Lankow
On 30/06/18 03:38, [hidden email] wrote:
> I'm a web developer too (I work on the inkscape.org website) and have
> been pushing the inkscape codebase slowly towards being more
> 'designable' i.e. giving the ability to change the user interface by
> using Glade XML (aka Gnome UI Builder) and our own xml files for things
> like menus, keyboard shortcuts etc.

On a related note I've been experimenting with some of the Document
Properties dialog panes, moving the UI design out of the code and into
XML files. I think this might be worthwhile pursuing because it vastly
cuts down UI design time (no rebuild to see changes) and simplifies the
code. See this change[1] for example, all the strings and layout
information has been moved to an XML file and all that's left to do is
connect up the logic. There's a slightly different approach for the same
effect just above it.

I'm mentioning this now because the subject has come up, and I now have
vastly less spare time to work on it than I did when I started. If
anyone out there wants to take this start and run with it, go ahead! If
not, I'll just keep chipping away at it.

[1]
https://gitlab.com/darktrojan/inkscape/compare/cb85a...fa94e#890d511b00c618ed25a67397844c623af5c3af0c_381_361

GL

Re: New developer member

doctormo
Hi Geoff,

Do you have a screenshot of what you've done? I admit to being lazy,
but I know there's people here that won't know how to see your designs.

Best Regards, Martin Owens

On Sun, 2018-07-01 at 15:48 +1200, Geoff Lankow wrote:

> On 30/06/18 03:38, [hidden email] wrote:
> > I'm a web developer too (I work on the inkscape.org website) and
> > have
> > been pushing the inkscape codebase slowly towards being more
> > 'designable' i.e. giving the ability to change the user interface
> > by
> > using Glade XML (aka Gnome UI Builder) and our own xml files for
> > things
> > like menus, keyboard shortcuts etc.
>
> On a related note I've been experimenting with some of the Document
> Properties dialog panes, moving the UI design out of the code and
> into
> XML files. I think this might be worthwhile pursuing because it
> vastly
> cuts down UI design time (no rebuild to see changes) and simplifies
> the
> code. See this change[1] for example, all the strings and layout
> information has been moved to an XML file and all that's left to do
> is
> connect up the logic. There's a slightly different approach for the
> same
> effect just above it.
>
> I'm mentioning this now because the subject has come up, and I now
> have
> vastly less spare time to work on it than I did when I started. If
> anyone out there wants to take this start and run with it, go ahead!
> If
> not, I'll just keep chipping away at it.
>
> [1]
> https://gitlab.com/darktrojan/inkscape/compare/cb85a...fa94e#890d511b
> 00c618ed25a67397844c623af5c3af0c_381_361
>

> GL

Re: New developer member

Geoff Lankow
I'm doing this from an ease-of-coding angle, not to improve the design,
so mine only looks very slightly different from the standard UI.

GL

On 1/07/18 16:34, [hidden email] wrote:

> Hi Geoff,
>
> Do you have a screenshot of what you've done? I admit to being lazy,
> but I know there's people here that won't know how to see your designs.
>
> Best Regards, Martin Owens
>
> On Sun, 2018-07-01 at 15:48 +1200, Geoff Lankow wrote:
>> On 30/06/18 03:38, [hidden email] wrote:
>>> I'm a web developer too (I work on the inkscape.org website) and
>>> have
>>> been pushing the inkscape codebase slowly towards being more
>>> 'designable' i.e. giving the ability to change the user interface
>>> by
>>> using Glade XML (aka Gnome UI Builder) and our own xml files for
>>> things
>>> like menus, keyboard shortcuts etc.
>> On a related note I've been experimenting with some of the Document
>> Properties dialog panes, moving the UI design out of the code and
>> into
>> XML files. I think this might be worthwhile pursuing because it
>> vastly
>> cuts down UI design time (no rebuild to see changes) and simplifies
>> the
>> code. See this change[1] for example, all the strings and layout
>> information has been moved to an XML file and all that's left to do
>> is
>> connect up the logic. There's a slightly different approach for the
>> same
>> effect just above it.
>>
>> I'm mentioning this now because the subject has come up, and I now
>> have
>> vastly less spare time to work on it than I did when I started. If
>> anyone out there wants to take this start and run with it, go ahead!
>> If
>> not, I'll just keep chipping away at it.
>>
>> [1]
>> https://gitlab.com/darktrojan/inkscape/compare/cb85a...fa94e#890d511b
>> 00c618ed25a67397844c623af5c3af0c_381_361
>>

>> GL

Re: New developer member

Yes, please keep users involved in these changes.  Personally, I don't have any
problems with Inkscape icons or the interface -- in general -- although there
are certainly some places which could be improved (especially the language used
in the dialogs) (i.e. UX).

If we do any survey, please let's put some thought into it, so the results are
as useful as possible.

I'm just a humble user, so can't offer any advice about designing or
programming.

Welcome to the community, Mare!

(fyi, we also have a lovely woman named Maren who participates on both
development and user sides.  So we will have to be careful about spelling names
:-) .  I wouldn't be surprised if she chimes in shortly  :-) ).

wrote:

Hi All,

How is everyone doing today? ;-)

Indeed Martin! I just downloaded Tango Icons (form Mihaela's link (
https://gitlab.com/inkscape/inkscape/blob/0.92.x.FixBug1777530/share/icons/tango_icons.svg
 ))
> [...]

> > Am I missing any other one?
> > If we know about all of them in the future this will be able to
> > become an option inside of the application ;-)
> >
> > Regards,
> >

> > --Victor Westmann
> >
> > On Fri, Jun 29, 2018 at 1:46 PM, Jabier Arraiza <jabier.arraiza@mar
> > ke
> > r.es> wrote:
> > > We have done symbolic icons for inkscape. They are pretty cool.
> > > You can use in inkscape overwriting the icons.svg file thith the
> > > file
> > > in this link.
> > >
> > > https://gitlab.com/inkscape/inkscape/blob/0.92.x/share/icons/symb
> > > ol
> > > ic_icons.svg
> > > With a svg ¿single? text search&replace you can tweak for dark ui
> > > the icons (more suitable to be white UI)
> > >
> > > Work for 0.92.x for PreAlpha1 (development) is don't done jet.

Re: New developer member

Sebastian Zartner
Just want to mention that there were previous approaches to redesign the UI and the icons. See e.g. http://artntechasone.com/forInkscapeTeam.html.

Sebastian

-----Original Message----- From: Marién Soria
Sent: Saturday, June 30, 2018 2:04 PM
To: Victor Westmann
Cc: Inkscape-Devel

> [...]

> > > people that could potentially also want to help us redesign the
> > > icons"
> > > I think is a great idea, something like two icons for each
> >
> > designer,
> > > for example. But for do that we need encourage the community.
> > > We
> >
> > need
> > > more interaction with our users.
> > >
> > > About the image you share with me: I'm trying to figure out
> > > what
> >
> > are
> > > you trying to show me. And that make me think about we need a
> >
> > good
> > > tool to share designs ideas!
> > > Please, explain me with words you idea.
> > > I'll try to make a list of apps we can use for improve our
> > > design
> > > comunication.
> > >
> > > El vie., 29 de jun. de 2018 a la(s) 17:10, Victor Westmann

123