New video of rotate workspace

12

New video of rotate workspace

Jabier Arraiza

Hi all!

Because the feeddback for the previous video, I update it a bit.
To enter in rotate mode you need SpaceBar+RightClick. or use the new
widget in the bottom.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Orpb-Be4Z4A

Thanks to all viewers, and people involved.

Cheers, Jabier.

Re: New video of rotate workspace

Josh Andler
That interactive rotate on-canvas is AMAZING!!!! Great work!!! I don't
know if you can tell, but you got me excited! :)

Cheers,
Josh

On Sun, Oct 23, 2016 at 3:47 PM, Jabiertxo Arraiza Cenoz
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi all!
>
> Because the feeddback for the previous video, I update it a bit.
> To enter in rotate mode you need SpaceBar+RightClick. or use the new
> widget in the bottom.
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Orpb-Be4Z4A
>
> Thanks to all viewers, and people involved.
>
> Cheers, Jabier.

Re: New video of rotate workspace

doctormo
That's amazing work Jabier.

I can't wait to get this in front of some users, because with things
like this, it's hard to know what the circle with all the 'flight
control' like text will look like to larger set of users.

We should keep on doing code review (and keep an eye on it on lp).
Because we get stuff like this when we all pitch in :-D

Best Regards, Martin Owens

On Sun, 2016-10-23 at 17:54 -0700, Josh Andler wrote:

> That interactive rotate on-canvas is AMAZING!!!! Great work!!! I
> don't
> know if you can tell, but you got me excited! :)
>
> Cheers,
> Josh
>
> On Sun, Oct 23, 2016 at 3:47 PM, Jabiertxo Arraiza Cenoz
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >

> > Hi all!
> >
> > Because the feeddback for the previous video, I update it a bit.
> > To enter in rotate mode you need SpaceBar+RightClick. or use the
> > new
> > widget in the bottom.
> >
> > https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Orpb-Be4Z4A
> >
> > Thanks to all viewers, and people involved.
> >
> > Cheers, Jabier.

Re: New video of rotate workspace

Alexandre Prokoudine
On Mon, Oct 24, 2016 at 1:47 AM, Jabiertxo Arraiza Cenoz wrote:

> Hi all!
>
> Because the feeddback for the previous video, I update it a bit.
> To enter in rotate mode you need SpaceBar+RightClick. or use the new
> widget in the bottom.
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Orpb-Be4Z4A
>
> Thanks to all viewers, and people involved.

That looks interesting indeed. How fast is it on a illustration with
smth like 10 thousands of path nodes and various fills?

Alex

Re: New video of rotate workspace

Is a pleasure your feedback :)

On Sun, 2016-10-23 at 17:54 -0700, Josh Andler wrote:

> That interactive rotate on-canvas is AMAZING!!!! Great work!!! I
> don't
> know if you can tell, but you got me excited! :)
>
> Cheers,
> Josh
>
> On Sun, Oct 23, 2016 at 3:47 PM, Jabiertxo Arraiza Cenoz
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > Hi all!
> >
> > Because the feeddback for the previous video, I update it a bit.
> > To enter in rotate mode you need SpaceBar+RightClick. or use the
> > new
> > widget in the bottom.
> >
> > https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Orpb-Be4Z4A
> >
> > Thanks to all viewers, and people involved.
> >
> > Cheers, Jabier.

Re: New video of rotate workspace

Hi Alexander,

In the "panning mode" the rotation is "instant" you only neer to re-
render when finish selecting the end angle. This slow is only affected
by the items showed currently on the screen like any desktop
reposition.

A document rotated has a very near performance if not "equal" than a
not rotated one.

Cheers, Jabier.

On Mon, 2016-10-24 at 11:22 +0300, Alexandre Prokoudine wrote:

> On Mon, Oct 24, 2016 at 1:47 AM, Jabiertxo Arraiza Cenoz wrote:
> >
> > Hi all!
> >
> > Because the feeddback for the previous video, I update it a bit.
> > To enter in rotate mode you need SpaceBar+RightClick. or use the
> > new
> > widget in the bottom.
> >
> > https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Orpb-Be4Z4A
> >
> > Thanks to all viewers, and people involved.
>
> That looks interesting indeed. How fast is it on a illustration with
> smth like 10 thousands of path nodes and various fills?
>
> Alex

Re: New video of rotate workspace

Vladimir Savic-3
Hi, Jabier!

This is so nice addition to Inkscape! Thanks for your hard work.

I was thinking about something... How big is that temporary bitmap you
use for rendering? If it can cover the whole screen, it might be worth
to leave it there until screen re-renders. It is much nicer to look at
canvas that has something "definite" on it, even if it is not
accurate, then to watch those tiles slowly filling the again white
workspace.
Of course, if user decides to pan or change tools, or what not, app
will have to re-render the canvas anyway. At least for now it is like
that...

Thanks again,
Vlada

Re: New video of rotate workspace

Thanks Martin!

I hope soon mark it for review.

Cheers, Jabier.

On Mon, 2016-10-24 at 00:18 -0400, Martin Owens wrote:

> That's amazing work Jabier.
>
> I can't wait to get this in front of some users, because with things
> like this, it's hard to know what the circle with all the 'flight
> control' like text will look like to larger set of users.
>
> We should keep on doing code review (and keep an eye on it on lp).
> Because we get stuff like this when we all pitch in :-D
>
> Best Regards, Martin Owens
>
> On Sun, 2016-10-23 at 17:54 -0700, Josh Andler wrote:
> > That interactive rotate on-canvas is AMAZING!!!! Great work!!! I
> > don't
> > know if you can tell, but you got me excited! :)
> >
> > Cheers,
> > Josh
> >
> > On Sun, Oct 23, 2016 at 3:47 PM, Jabiertxo Arraiza Cenoz
> > <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > >

> > > Hi all!
> > >
> > > Because the feeddback for the previous video, I update it a bit.
> > > To enter in rotate mode you need SpaceBar+RightClick. or use the
> > > new
> > > widget in the bottom.
> > >
> > > https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Orpb-Be4Z4A
> > >
> > > Thanks to all viewers, and people involved.
> > >
> > > Cheers, Jabier.

Re: New video of rotate workspace

Hi Vlada, I think this is not posible :(.

Cheers, Jabier.

On Mon, 2016-10-24 at 12:28 +0200, Vladimir Savic wrote:

> Hi, Jabier!
>
> This is so nice addition to Inkscape! Thanks for your hard work.
>
> I was thinking about something... How big is that temporary bitmap
> you
> use for rendering? If it can cover the whole screen, it might be
> worth
> to leave it there until screen re-renders. It is much nicer to look
> at
> canvas that has something "definite" on it, even if it is not
> accurate, then to watch those tiles slowly filling the again white
> workspace.
> Of course, if user decides to pan or change tools, or what not, app
> will have to re-render the canvas anyway. At least for now it is like
> that...
>
> Thanks again,
> Vlada

Re: New video of rotate workspace

Vladimir Savic-3
Hi, Jabier.

I somehow suspected it is like that, unfortunately. Thanks for your
answer, though.

Regards,
Vlada

Re: New video of rotate workspace

Jabier Arraiza
Forget me!
Now the circle is fadding to result progresive like usual redraw, so
you keep visual reference to the result.

Cheers, Jabier.

On Wed, 2016-10-26 at 10:05 +0200, Vladimir Savic wrote:
> Hi, Jabier.
>
> I somehow suspected it is like that, unfortunately. Thanks for your
> answer, though.
>
> Regards,
> Vlada

Re: New video of rotate workspace

Jabier Arraiza

Hi Vlada!

I reply to the list to get more opinions. Reply you inline:

On Thu, 2016-10-27 at 14:35 +0200, Vladimir Savic wrote:

> Hi Jabier,
>
> Tested! I am speechless! It works better then I anticipated! Great
> work!!!
>
> There i one really serious drawback of selected method for entering
> rotation mode. I don't use spacebar for panning. So I can't even
> start
> rotating. Here is a little analyze.
>
> Bugs:
> 1) If I use CTRL while rotating, and release CTRL, I leave rotation
> mode. It is unwanted behavior, I suppose.
Yes need to fix it

> 2) If I Right mouse button (RMB) click at any object (with Spacebar
> panning turned on) I am being presented with Contextual menu. That
> would be the same one that appears when RMB clicked at any object in
> regular editing mode. You can see that briefly in a video I'll
> mention
> later.

Need to fix, if finnaly could do, rotation mode start on click, not on
mouse move

> 3) The video I have attached shows a few problems I have experienced
> during testing phase. Don't know from where it comes from, but I see
> some crazy tiles being wrongly redrawn. See the video for yourself.

Is strange, could you provide me the SVG?

> Minor bug:
> 4) With transparency checkerboard pattern turned on (Document
> Properties...->Checkerboard background), the checkerboard rotates
> too.
> Nothing urgent.

To fix

> Some of my ideas. Please, at least consider them.
>
> Facts:
> 1) Middle mouse button (MMB) is already used for panning.
> 2) MMB + SHIFT brings you into "clumsy" zoom mode. I say clumsy
> because you could only zoom in marking the area you want to see
> zoomed-in. This is relevant for what I've written later...
> 3) CTRL and ALT are unused.
>
> Here is my proposition:
> For entering Rotate view, I propose ALT + MMB or ALT + Spacebar-
> panning
Not sure maybe I need more opinions

> Make ALT default modifier for constraining to whole degrees
> (1-2-3-4-etc.) since it will already be pressed. If user releases
> ALT,
> then go to subdivision of degrees. No need for another shortcut only
> for that. With CTRL + ALT you could then go to reset rotation.
> Additionally, with SHIFT + CTRL + ALT you could reset to 0 degrees.

Also we need the 5 degree modifier

> All covered. :)
>
> Additional features you could cover and it is something that I felt
> would be great if implemented. You could also make quick zoom mode
> using SHIFT + MMB. Take a rendering of surface (as you already do for
> rotation screen drawing and if user moves (while holding both SHIFT +
> MMB down) mouse upwards or right - zoom-in and if he/she moves it
> downwards or left zoom out using the fastest to redraw method
> (nearest
> neighbor, would be enough). After that, redraw the whole screen, as
> you already do in rotate on-screen widget.
Is cool but: Zoom in loose resolution, Zoom out couldent render outside
the original view.

> BTW, I really like the music on top of which you demonstrate your
> achievements. Keep on rocking! :)

Rock On

> Regards,
> Vlada
>
> https://www.dropbox.com/s/vfrun9s1gwubg09/Rotation_test.ogv?dl=0
>
> On Wed, Oct 26, 2016 at 4:45 PM, Jabier Arraiza
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > You are welcome!
> >
> > On Wed, 2016-10-26 at 14:33 +0000, Vladimir Savic wrote:
> > > Thanks Jabier!
> > >
> > > This is indeed much better. I'm now really prepared to test this.
> > > Will try
> > > your brach ASAP.
> > >
> > > Thanks again. :-)
> > >
> > > On Wed, Oct 26, 2016, 16:14 Jabier Arraiza <jabier.arraiza@marker
> > > .es>

Re: New video of rotate workspace

Jabier Arraiza
Hi Again

> > 3) The video I have attached shows a few problems I have
> > experienced
> > during testing phase. Don't know from where it comes from, but I
> > see
> > some crazy tiles being wrongly redrawn. See the video for yourself.
>
> Is strange, could you provide me the SVG?

Seems only happends on 5 degree contrain.

Re: New video of rotate workspace

Hi all.
On Sun, 2016-10-30 at 22:29 +0100, Jabiertxo Arraiza Cenoz wrote:
> > For entering Rotate view, I propose ALT + MMB or ALT + Spacebar-
> > panning

I do today coding, ¿What about this?

Cheers, Jabier.

Re: New video of rotate workspace

Hi, Im testing the alt+spacebar shortcut to rotate mode and give
problems on Gnome 3 (is like window title right click)

What about to change enter to rotation mode shortcut to CTRL+RMB or
CTRL+SPACEBAR?

Cheers, Jabier.

On Wed, Nov 2, 2016 at 9:14 PM, Jabier Arraiza <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi, Im testing the alt+spacebar shortcut to rotate mode and give
> problems on Gnome 3 (is like window title right click)
>
> What about to change enter to rotation mode shortcut to CTRL+RMB or
> CTRL+SPACEBAR?

I would avoid it. Anyone working seriously with Inkscape has to
"release" ALT key shortcuts and dedicate that modifier to graphic
applications, no matter if working in KDE, Gnome or whatnot. Krita,
GIMP and Scribus need that key too.

Cheers,
Vlada

On Wed, Nov 2, 2016 at 11:14 PM, Jabier Arraiza wrote:
> Hi, Im testing the alt+spacebar shortcut to rotate mode and give
> problems on Gnome 3 (is like window title right click)

Alt+Space is already usually taken by the system. At the very least,
Mutter (GNOME's window manager) and Windows use it to open current
window's menu (minimize, maximize, close etc.).

Alex

Re: New video of rotate workspace

Tobias Ellinghaus
Am Donnerstag, 3. November 2016, 10:55:31 CET schrieb Vladimir Savic:
> On Wed, Nov 2, 2016 at 9:14 PM, Jabier Arraiza <[hidden email]>
wrote:
> > Hi, Im testing the alt+spacebar shortcut to rotate mode and give
> > problems on Gnome 3 (is like window title right click)
> >
> > What about to change enter to rotation mode shortcut to CTRL+RMB or
> > CTRL+SPACEBAR?
>
> I would avoid it. Anyone working seriously with Inkscape has to
> "release" ALT key shortcuts and dedicate that modifier to graphic

Not true. I am working seriously with Inkscape and still have ALT be assigned
to the window manager to move windows. Just saying, generalized statements
like that are most often wrong or at least misleading.

> applications, no matter if working in KDE, Gnome or whatnot. Krita,
> GIMP and Scribus need that key too.
>
> Cheers,
> Vlada

Tobias

On Thu, Nov 3, 2016 at 12:12 PM, Tobias Ellinghaus <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Am Donnerstag, 3. November 2016, 10:55:31 CET schrieb Vladimir Savic:
>> On Wed, Nov 2, 2016 at 9:14 PM, Jabier Arraiza <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>> > Hi, Im testing the alt+spacebar shortcut to rotate mode and give
>> > problems on Gnome 3 (is like window title right click)
>> >
>> > What about to change enter to rotation mode shortcut to CTRL+RMB or
>> > CTRL+SPACEBAR?
>>
>> I would avoid it. Anyone working seriously with Inkscape has to
>> "release" ALT key shortcuts and dedicate that modifier to graphic
>
> Not true. I am working seriously with Inkscape and still have ALT be assigned
> to the window manager to move windows. Just saying, generalized statements
> like that are most often wrong or at least misleading.

Well, I agree to some degree. Didn't want to induce literal
interpretation of my words. We could discuss what seriously and
professionally mean in the first place, but that is just terminology.
I earn for living using Inkscape and yet I don't use its
cutting/engraving capabilities, for example. Just wanted to illustrate
that you are right to some extent.

But, if you keep ALT + LMB assigned to their defaults in Gnome 3, you
will loose some quite useful functions either way (moving selected
objects without picking them directly with cursor, drawing over
objects to select them, node sculpting etc.). Without those I can't
work so efficiently. ALT had to be reassigned to META in my case.

Vlada

>> applications, no matter if working in KDE, Gnome or whatnot. Krita,
>> GIMP and Scribus need that key too.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Vlada
>
> Tobias