OSX 10.12 problem

Girilal Baars
Hello list!

I am completely new to the list and to Inkscape, so apologies for some very basic questions.
I had some trouble installing via terminal, but finally it seems it worked.

However – I just can’t find the actual app! I assume it is called Inkscape and should be located in the Applications folder.
Searching my computer doesn’t turn up any file called Inkscape.

I feel like I may have missed a really basic trick:-)

Any help seriously appreciated!

Thank you

Girilal Baars
Sweden

Re: OSX 10.12 problem

Maren Hachmann
Hi Girilal,

I won't be able to help with the OSX part myself, but I know that anyone
who can will need this info:

Which installation method did you choose?
Which instructions did you follow?

Kind Regards,
 Maren

Am 27.01.2017 um 15:29 schrieb Girilal Baars:

> Hello list!
>
> I am completely new to the list and to Inkscape, so apologies for some very basic questions.
> I had some trouble installing via terminal, but finally it seems it worked.
>
> However – I just can’t find the actual app! I assume it is called Inkscape and should be located in the Applications folder.
> Searching my computer doesn’t turn up any file called Inkscape.
>
> I feel like I may have missed a really basic trick:-)
>
> Any help seriously appreciated!
>
> Thank you
>
> Girilal Baars
> Sweden

Re: OSX 10.12 problem

Brynn
I'm not a Mac user either.  But I've seen this problem posted a few different
times.  After using Macports to install Inkscape, everything looks like it was
working.  But afterwards, they can't find Inkscape.

Even if it's a Macports issue, since we're getting this question so often, it
would be nice to be able to give users the answer.  If anyone knows?

I won't be able to help with the OSX part myself, but I know that anyone
who can will need this info:

Which installation method did you choose?
Which instructions did you follow?

Kind Regards,
Maren

Am 27.01.2017 um 15:29 schrieb Girilal Baars:

> Hello list!
>
> I am completely new to the list and to Inkscape, so apologies for some very
> basic questions.
> I had some trouble installing via terminal, but finally it seems it worked.
>
> However – I just can’t find the actual app! I assume it is called Inkscape and
> should be located in the Applications folder.
> Searching my computer doesn’t turn up any file called Inkscape.
>
> I feel like I may have missed a really basic trick:-)
>
> Any help seriously appreciated!
>
> Thank you
>
> Girilal Baars
> Sweden

Re: OSX 10.12 problem

Girilal Baars
Hi, Maren and Brynn!

Thanks for getting back to me on this!

Apologies for my lack of clarity:-)
Which installation method did you choose?
X11 (cia MacPorts)

Which instructions did you follow?
The ones on the release page for 0.92 OSX: https://inkscape.org/en/download/mac-os/

I'm not a Mac user either.  But I've seen this problem posted a few different
times.  After using Macports to install Inkscape, everything looks like it was
working.  But afterwards, they can't find Inkscape.

That is exactly what happened in my case. Can’t find anything named inkscape on my computer!

A bit frustrating overall, since I’m not really accustomed to doing stuff in Terminal. But it did look like everything was supposed to be OK.

Thanks

Girilal

Re: OSX 10.12 problem

Brynn
Hi Girilal,
        Unfortunately, all we can do at this point, is to suggest you contact
Macports support for this.
        If you learn what the solultion is, would you please let me know?  At
least I'll be able to help other users who try the Macports route.
        If you can't get a solution from Macports, at least you should be able
to install version 0.91 from the website, for the time being.  There is a DMG
version for 0.91.
        There is some encouraging news for the future, and hopefully near
future.  A small handful of people have become interested in providing an
official Inkscape release for Macs.  I'm not sure if that means a DMG version,
or exactly what it means.  But I'll be trying to follow their work, and I'll try
and keep the forum community informed (and mailing list too).
        Sorry, I wish I had better news for you.