Prerequisites for using Inkscape UI free, GSOC 2018

Prerequisites for using Inkscape UI free, GSOC 2018

Kuntal Majumder
Hi,

I am Kuntal, some of the people might know me from IRC. I was looking
into the GSOC 2018 ideas list. Loved the idea of making Inkscape go UI
free [1]. I would love to give it a try, I have used CMake to compile
programs in past, but never wrote a CMakeLists file. I was also working
on my own build system [2], which is currently not that nicer, well I am
yet to learn how to write parsers, :P.

Also whenever I used Inkscape, I used to jump to and fro from Inkscape
to Calculator to get the correct ratios, wouldn't that be better if we
can put expressions inside text-boxes and they evaluate by themselves.
If the previous mentioned idea is viable for GSOC, I would love to pitch
for it.

Thanks

Kuntal (hellozee)

[1]
http://wiki.inkscape.org/wiki/index.php/Google_Summer_of_Code#P5._UI-Free_Inkscape

[2] https://github.com/hellozee/Cook

Re: Prerequisites for using Inkscape UI free, GSOC 2018

Shlomi Fish
Hi Kuntal!

On Sun, 11 Mar 2018 10:26:28 +0530
Kuntal Majumder <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am Kuntal, some of the people might know me from IRC. I was looking
> into the GSOC 2018 ideas list. Loved the idea of making Inkscape go UI
> free [1]. I would love to give it a try, I have used CMake to compile
> programs in past, but never wrote a CMakeLists file. I was also working
> on my own build system [2], which is currently not that nicer, well I am
> yet to learn how to write parsers, :P.
>
> Also whenever I used Inkscape, I used to jump to and fro from Inkscape
> to Calculator to get the correct ratios, wouldn't that be better if we
> can put expressions inside text-boxes and they evaluate by themselves.
> If the previous mentioned idea is viable for GSOC, I would love to pitch
> for it.
>

> Thanks
>
> Kuntal (hellozee)
>

> [1]
> http://wiki.inkscape.org/wiki/index.php/Google_Summer_of_Code#P5._UI-Free_Inkscape
>
> [2] https://github.com/hellozee/Cook

there are/were other build systems called "cook":

* https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_Miller_(software_engineer)

* https://duckduckgo.com/?q=cook+build+system&ia=software

* http://cook.sourceforge.net/ - not a build system.

Regards,

        Shlomi Fish

Escape from GNU Autohell - http://www.shlomifish.org/open-source/anti/autohell/

The NSA is an intelligence agency which thinks it can use Artificial
Ultra-Stupidity (AUS) to wade through tons of irrelevant information and
reach genuine understanding.
    — http://www.shlomifish.org/humour/bits/facts/NSA/

On 03/11/2018 01:21 PM, Shlomi Fish wrote:

> Hi Kuntal!
>
> On Sun, 11 Mar 2018 10:26:28 +0530
> Kuntal Majumder <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I am Kuntal, some of the people might know me from IRC. I was looking
>> into the GSOC 2018 ideas list. Loved the idea of making Inkscape go UI
>> free [1]. I would love to give it a try, I have used CMake to compile
>> programs in past, but never wrote a CMakeLists file. I was also working
>> on my own build system [2], which is currently not that nicer, well I am
>> yet to learn how to write parsers, :P.
>>
>> Also whenever I used Inkscape, I used to jump to and fro from Inkscape
>> to Calculator to get the correct ratios, wouldn't that be better if we
>> can put expressions inside text-boxes and they evaluate by themselves.
>> If the previous mentioned idea is viable for GSOC, I would love to pitch
>> for it.
>>

>> Thanks
>>
>> Kuntal (hellozee)
>>

>> [1]
>> http://wiki.inkscape.org/wiki/index.php/Google_Summer_of_Code#P5._UI-Free_Inkscape
>>
>> [2] https://github.com/hellozee/Cook
>>
> there are/were other build systems called "cook":
>
> * https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_Miller_(software_engineer)
>
> * https://duckduckgo.com/?q=cook+build+system&ia=software
>
> * http://cook.sourceforge.net/ - not a build system.
>
> Regards,
>
> Shlomi Fish

Well, at least, I can attach a written in Go tag with it to make it a
little bit of distinct, should have done some research before naming it, :P

Am 11.03.2018 um 05:56 schrieb Kuntal Majumder:

> Hi,
>
> I am Kuntal, some of the people might know me from IRC. I was looking
> into the GSOC 2018 ideas list. Loved the idea of making Inkscape go UI
> free [1]. I would love to give it a try, I have used CMake to compile
> programs in past, but never wrote a CMakeLists file. I was also working
> on my own build system [2], which is currently not that nicer, well I am
> yet to learn how to write parsers, :P.
>
> Also whenever I used Inkscape, I used to jump to and fro from Inkscape
> to Calculator to get the correct ratios, wouldn't that be better if we
> can put expressions inside text-boxes and they evaluate by themselves.

- That works already in the number entry fields for expressions like
12mm + 1.2cm
12*3
24/5
360/6 - 10
(5+4) * 3

(i.e. it has unit support and knows about +-*/ and parentheses)

Or did you mean you want that functionality for text objects?

Maren

On 03/11/2018 07:14 PM, Maren Hachmann wrote:

> Am 11.03.2018 um 05:56 schrieb Kuntal Majumder:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I am Kuntal, some of the people might know me from IRC. I was looking
>> into the GSOC 2018 ideas list. Loved the idea of making Inkscape go UI
>> free [1]. I would love to give it a try, I have used CMake to compile
>> programs in past, but never wrote a CMakeLists file. I was also working
>> on my own build system [2], which is currently not that nicer, well I am
>> yet to learn how to write parsers, :P.
>>
>> Also whenever I used Inkscape, I used to jump to and fro from Inkscape
>> to Calculator to get the correct ratios, wouldn't that be better if we
>> can put expressions inside text-boxes and they evaluate by themselves.
> - That works already in the number entry fields for expressions like
> 12mm + 1.2cm
> 12*3
> 24/5
> 360/6 - 10
> (5+4) * 3
>
> (i.e. it has unit support and knows about +-*/ and parentheses)
>
> Or did you mean you want that functionality for text objects?
>
> Maren
>
>> If the previous mentioned idea is viable for GSOC, I would love to pitch
>> for it.
>>

>> Thanks
>>
>> Kuntal (hellozee)
>>

>> [1]
>> http://wiki.inkscape.org/wiki/index.php/Google_Summer_of_Code#P5._UI-Free_Inkscape
>>

>> [2] https://github.com/hellozee/Cook

Wow never knew that already existed, thanks now I dont have to switch to
calculator, every now and then.