Python GUI in Inkscape extension

Lukáš Haberzettl
Hi guys,
I am writing Inkscape extension and I found out that I definitely need more complex UI elements (such as file browser, textarea etc. ) than these, that offers INX file format. I was experimenting with using Python GUI package (Tkinter) together with standard Inkscape extension file, but there is no possibility, at the moment when Tkinter is running, to interact with Inkscape interface. Is there any possibility to have python GUI and can interact with Inkscape objects at the same time ?
Sorry for my english.

Thank you,
Lukas Haberzettl

Re: Python GUI in Inkscape extension

Martin Owens-2
On Sun, 2017-04-09 at 14:12 +0200, Lukáš Haberzettl wrote:

> Hi guys,
> I am writing Inkscape extension and I found out that I definitely
> need more complex UI elements (such as file browser, textarea etc. )
> than these, that offers INX file format. I was experimenting with
> using Python GUI package (Tkinter) together with standard Inkscape
> extension file, but there is no possibility, at the moment when
> Tkinter is running, to interact with Inkscape interface. Is there any
> possibility to have python GUI and can interact with Inkscape objects
> at the same time ?
> Sorry for my english.

I've played with various ways of doing such a thing. It used to be
DBus, but we stopped doing that because of windows support. I've hacked
some piping experiments, but nothing stable or useful.

Getting extensions that have a solid API for back and forth
communication is a hard problem and one we haven't really solved.

Sorry Lukáŝ!

On Sun, 2017-04-09 at 18:19 +0200, Lukáš Haberzettl wrote:
> Ok, thak you for all the informations. And what about writing
> extension directly in code (c++)? It should be possible to write more
> complex UI right ? I have intermediate experience in C and C++
> programming so it is not problem for me, but I want to know if its
> right way to do it.

This is possible and there are extensions in inkscape's codebase.
Although I hesistate to call them plugins since they have to be
compiled into the inkscape program.