Question about finding an object in the SVG code that corresponds to what I see in the GUI but isn't clickable . .

Question about finding an object in the SVG code that corresponds to what I see in the GUI but isn't clickable . .

Philip Rhoades
People,

I have a PDF that was itself an export from a CAD (DWG) package (which
is not accessible anymore).  I have imported this PDF file into Inkscape
and have successfully deleted most of the objects I don't want in the
drawing but there is one, major, obvious object left and I can't click
on it to delete it so I thought I might be able to work out what the
object is by looking at the SVG code . . but that is nearly 3MB in size
. .

I attach a JPG of the drawing (I can supply the SVG if someone wants to
have a look at it) - the main problem is the white rectangle which looks
like an extension of the road.  Minor problems are lines and a little
rectangle to the right of the white rectangle.  The original drawing was
all green in that area so it seems those objects have been added on top
(there is only one layer in Inkscape).

Can anyone think of a way of finding those objects - either in the GUI
or by looking at the SVG code so I can delete them?

Thanks,

Phil.
--
Philip Rhoades

PO Box 896
Cowra  NSW  2794
Australia
E-mail:  [hidden email]

Lot4_SitePlan_phil.jpg (156K) Download Attachment

Re: Question about finding an object in the SVG code that corresponds to what I see in the GUI but isn't clickable . .

Jean-Francois Lemaire
> Can anyone think of a way of finding those objects - either in the GUI or by
> looking at the SVG code so I can delete them?

In my experience with these kind of files there is a lot of clipping
going on. So I always start by switching to outline mode, select all,
release clip, several times if necessary, ungroup, several times if
necessary, unlink clones if needed, etc. I sometimes had to deal with
very devious PDFs but always managed to get the result I wanted.

Hope this helps,
Cheers,
JFL
--
Jean-François Lemaire

Re: Question about finding an object in the SVG code that corresponds to what I see in the GUI but isn't clickable . .

C R
Supply a link the svg for proper help.

-C

On Thu, 21 Jun 2018, 10:09 J. F. Lemaire, <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Can anyone think of a way of finding those objects - either in the GUI or by
> looking at the SVG code so I can delete them?

In my experience with these kind of files there is a lot of clipping
going on. So I always start by switching to outline mode, select all,
release clip, several times if necessary, ungroup, several times if
necessary, unlink clones if needed, etc. I sometimes had to deal with
very devious PDFs but always managed to get the result I wanted.

Hope this helps,
Cheers,
JFL
--
Jean-François Lemaire

Re: Question about finding an object in the SVG code that corresponds to what I see in the GUI but isn't clickable . .

Philip Rhoades
CR,

On 2018-06-21 19:47, C R wrote:
> Supply a link the svg for proper help.

   http://pricom.com.au/Lot4_SitePlan_phil.svg

P.

> -C
>
> On Thu, 21 Jun 2018, 10:09 J. F. Lemaire, <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>>> Can anyone think of a way of finding those objects - either in the
>> GUI or by
>>> looking at the SVG code so I can delete them?
>>
>> In my experience with these kind of files there is a lot of clipping
>> going on. So I always start by switching to outline mode, select
>> all,
>> release clip, several times if necessary, ungroup, several times if
>> necessary, unlink clones if needed, etc. I sometimes had to deal
>> with
>> very devious PDFs but always managed to get the result I wanted.
>>
>> Hope this helps,
>> Cheers,
>> JFL
>> --
>> Jean-François Lemaire

Philip Rhoades

PO Box 896
Cowra  NSW  2794
Australia
E-mail:  [hidden email]

Re: Question about finding an object in the SVG code that corresponds to what I see in the GUI but isn't clickable . .

Philip Rhoades
JF,

On 2018-06-21 19:09, J. F. Lemaire wrote:
>> Can anyone think of a way of finding those objects - either in the GUI
>> or by
>> looking at the SVG code so I can delete them?
>
> In my experience with these kind of files there is a lot of clipping
> going on. So I always start by switching to outline mode, select all,
> release clip, several times if necessary, ungroup, several times if
> necessary, unlink clones if needed, etc. I sometimes had to deal with
> very devious PDFs but always managed to get the result I wanted.

- Outline mode - check
- Select All - check
- Release Clip - check
- Ungroup - Inkscape seems to hang although it might just be overwhelmed
- but I have a relatively fast processor with 32GB RAm . .

> Hope this helps,

Maybe . . I will leave it running overnight and see what it is like in
the morning . . although top does not show Inkscape thrashing at all . .
ah, it has just come back - trying another iteration . .

Thanks,

Phil.
--
Philip Rhoades

PO Box 896
Cowra  NSW  2794
Australia
E-mail:  [hidden email]

Re: Question about finding an object in the SVG code that corresponds to what I see in the GUI but isn't clickable . .

TylerDurden
I looked at the svg... I'm able to simply double-click my way down into the groups to delete what seems to be the problem objects.

There are hundreds of groups and clips, so I wouldn't spend a lot of time chasing those if I can fix the small issues. The result is not the perfect example of a finished svg, but time is money.

TD

On Thu, Jun 21, 2018 at 2:56 AM, Philip Rhoades <[hidden email]> wrote:
People,

I have a PDF that was itself an export from a CAD (DWG) package (which is not accessible anymore).  I have imported this PDF file into Inkscape and have successfully deleted most of the objects I don't want in the drawing but there is one, major, obvious object left and I can't click on it to delete it so I thought I might be able to work out what the object is by looking at the SVG code . . but that is nearly 3MB in size . .

I attach a JPG of the drawing (I can supply the SVG if someone wants to have a look at it) - the main problem is the white rectangle which looks like an extension of the road.  Minor problems are lines and a little rectangle to the right of the white rectangle.  The original drawing was all green in that area so it seems those objects have been added on top (there is only one layer in Inkscape).

Can anyone think of a way of finding those objects - either in the GUI or by looking at the SVG code so I can delete them?

Thanks,

Phil.
--
Philip Rhoades

PO Box 896
Cowra  NSW  2794
Australia
E-mail:  [hidden email]

Re: Question about finding an object in the SVG code that corresponds to what I see in the GUI but isn't clickable . .

Jean-Francois Lemaire
> Maybe . . I will leave it running overnight and see what it is like in the
> morning . . although top does not show Inkscape thrashing at all . . ah, it
> has just come back - trying another iteration . .

Indeed. I love Inkscape but it's infuriatingly slow when there are
thousand of objects, which is the case with CAD-produced files.

Cheers,
JFL
--
Jean-François Lemaire

On 21 June 2018 at 14:16, J. F. Lemaire <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Maybe . . I will leave it running overnight and see what it is like in the
>> morning . . although top does not show Inkscape thrashing at all . . ah, it
>> has just come back - trying another iteration . .

Is this what you're trying to obtain? (see link below).
https://drive.google.com/open?id=16xauhBBSRuG2xFUpHQ4IidJCxkMvFE3j

Cheers,
JFL
--
Jean-François Lemaire

On 2018-06-21 23:15, J. F. Lemaire wrote:
> On 21 June 2018 at 14:16, J. F. Lemaire <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> Maybe . . I will leave it running overnight and see what it is like
>>> in the
>>> morning . . although top does not show Inkscape thrashing at all . .
>>> ah, it
>>> has just come back - trying another iteration . .
>
> Is this what you're trying to obtain? (see link below).
> https://drive.google.com/open?id=16xauhBBSRuG2xFUpHQ4IidJCxkMvFE3j

Almost!  The irregular white shape under the road needed to stay (it is
an existing house) but there is a broken vertical line (two lines) and a
little rectangle with stuff in it on the right hand side which can also
go.

So did you use your recommended method for getting rid of the white
road?  My second iteration of "ungroup" is still going since my last
email!

Thanks!

Phil.
--
Philip Rhoades

PO Box 896
Cowra  NSW  2794
Australia
E-mail:  [hidden email]

Re: Question about finding an object in the SVG code that corresponds to what I see in the GUI but isn't clickable . .

Philip Rhoades
Tyler,

On 2018-06-21 22:05, Tyler Durden wrote:
> I looked at the svg... I'm able to simply double-click my way down
> into the groups to delete what seems to be the problem objects.

Hmm . . I have already deleted a lot of stuff by doing that but now
double-clicking only selects larger objects like the whole green area
etc.

> There are hundreds of groups and clips, so I wouldn't spend a lot of
> time chasing those if I can fix the small issues. The result is not
> the perfect example of a finished svg, but time is money.

I would like to know why you can keep selecting and deleting the small
objects when I can't . .

Thanks,

Phil.

> TD
>
> On Thu, Jun 21, 2018 at 2:56 AM, Philip Rhoades <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
>> People,
>>
>> I have a PDF that was itself an export from a CAD (DWG) package
>> (which is not accessible anymore).  I have imported this PDF file
>> into Inkscape and have successfully deleted most of the objects I
>> don't want in the drawing but there is one, major, obvious object
>> left and I can't click on it to delete it so I thought I might be
>> able to work out what the object is by looking at the SVG code . .
>> but that is nearly 3MB in size . .
>>
>> I attach a JPG of the drawing (I can supply the SVG if someone wants
>> to have a look at it) - the main problem is the white rectangle
>> which looks like an extension of the road.  Minor problems are lines
>> and a little rectangle to the right of the white rectangle.  The
>> original drawing was all green in that area so it seems those
>> objects have been added on top (there is only one layer in
>> Inkscape).
>>
>> Can anyone think of a way of finding those objects - either in the
>> GUI or by looking at the SVG code so I can delete them?
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Phil.
>> --
>> Philip Rhoades
>>
>> PO Box 896
>> Cowra  NSW  2794
>> Australia
>> E-mail:  [hidden email]

> Links:
> ------

Philip Rhoades

PO Box 896
Cowra  NSW  2794
Australia
E-mail:  [hidden email]

Re: Question about finding an object in the SVG code that corresponds to what I see in the GUI but isn't clickable . .

TylerDurden
Not sure why... seems the white object is only nested a couple of layers deep.

TD

On Thu, Jun 21, 2018 at 9:36 AM, Philip Rhoades <[hidden email]> wrote:
Tyler,

Re: Question about finding an object in the SVG code that corresponds to what I see in the GUI but isn't clickable . .

For faster ungrouping, you can use the deep ungroup extension, when you
need it.

Extensions > Arrange > Deep Ungroup.

It's a lot faster than the built-in ungrouping...

Maren

Am 21.06.2018 um 14:16 schrieb J. F. Lemaire:

>> Maybe . . I will leave it running overnight and see what it is like in the
>> morning . . although top does not show Inkscape thrashing at all . . ah, it
>> has just come back - trying another iteration . .
>
> Indeed. I love Inkscape but it's infuriatingly slow when there are
> thousand of objects, which is the case with CAD-produced files.
>
> Cheers,
> JFL

Re: Question about finding an object in the SVG code that corresponds to what I see in the GUI but isn't clickable . .

Donn Ingle
In case it helps: one can hold Ctrl and then left click on objects within groups. After that delete does the job. (Shift + Ctrl + Click to select many disparate things.)

\d

On 21 June 2018 at 15:36, Philip Rhoades <[hidden email]> wrote:
I would like to know why you can keep selecting and deleting the small objects when I can't . .

Re: Question about finding an object in the SVG code that corresponds to what I see in the GUI but isn't clickable . .

Philip Rhoades
Maren,

On 2018-06-22 00:51, Maren Hachmann wrote:
> For faster ungrouping, you can use the deep ungroup extension, when you
> need it.
>
> Extensions > Arrange > Deep Ungroup.
>
> It's a lot faster than the built-in ungrouping...

I am experimenting with a few approaches with as far as got the drawing
to before the suggestions - I will look at this too.

Thanks!

Phil.

> Maren
>
> Am 21.06.2018 um 14:16 schrieb J. F. Lemaire:
>>> Maybe . . I will leave it running overnight and see what it is like
>>> in the
>>> morning . . although top does not show Inkscape thrashing at all . .
>>> ah, it
>>> has just come back - trying another iteration . .
>>
>> Indeed. I love Inkscape but it's infuriatingly slow when there are
>> thousand of objects, which is the case with CAD-produced files.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> JFL

Philip Rhoades

PO Box 896
Cowra  NSW  2794
Australia
E-mail:  [hidden email]

Re: Question about finding an object in the SVG code that corresponds to what I see in the GUI but isn't clickable . .

Philip Rhoades
Donn,

On 2018-06-22 01:14, Donn Ingle wrote:
> In case it helps: one can hold Ctrl and then left click on objects
> within groups. After that delete does the job. (Shift + Ctrl + Click
> to select many disparate things.)

I will test that out too!

Thanks,

Phil.

> \d
>
> On 21 June 2018 at 15:36, Philip Rhoades <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> I would like to know why you can keep selecting and deleting the
>> small objects when I can't . .

Philip Rhoades

PO Box 896
Cowra  NSW  2794
Australia
E-mail:  [hidden email]

Re: Question about finding an object in the SVG code that corresponds to what I see in the GUI but isn't clickable . .

Jean-Francois Lemaire
> So did you use your recommended method for getting rid of the white
> road?  My second iteration of "ungroup" is still going since my last
> email!

I simply got rid of all the clipping paths then ungrouped a couple items.

Cheers,
JFL
--
Jean-François Lemaire

On Thursday, 21 June 2018 16:51:41 CEST Maren Hachmann wrote:
> For faster ungrouping, you can use the deep ungroup extension, when you
> need it.
>
> Extensions > Arrange > Deep Ungroup.

Thanks, I didn't know about this one.

Cheers,
JFL
--
Jean-François Lemaire

Re: Question about finding an object in the SVG code that corresponds to what I see in the GUI but isn't clickable . .

It can be selected in one click, using the Node tool.  Then switch back to
Selection tool to delete.

On 2018-06-21 22:05, Tyler Durden wrote:
> I looked at the svg... I'm able to simply double-click my way down
> into the groups to delete what seems to be the problem objects.

Hmm . . I have already deleted a lot of stuff by doing that but now
double-clicking only selects larger objects like the whole green area
etc.

> There are hundreds of groups and clips, so I wouldn't spend a lot of
> time chasing those if I can fix the small issues. The result is not
> the perfect example of a finished svg, but time is money.

I would like to know why you can keep selecting and deleting the small
objects when I can't . .

Thanks,

Phil.

> TD
>
> On Thu, Jun 21, 2018 at 2:56 AM, Philip Rhoades <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
>> People,
>>
>> I have a PDF that was itself an export from a CAD (DWG) package
>> (which is not accessible anymore).  I have imported this PDF file
>> into Inkscape and have successfully deleted most of the objects I
>> don't want in the drawing but there is one, major, obvious object
>> left and I can't click on it to delete it so I thought I might be
>> able to work out what the object is by looking at the SVG code . .
>> but that is nearly 3MB in size . .
>>
>> I attach a JPG of the drawing (I can supply the SVG if someone wants
>> to have a look at it) - the main problem is the white rectangle
>> which looks like an extension of the road.  Minor problems are lines
>> and a little rectangle to the right of the white rectangle.  The
>> original drawing was all green in that area so it seems those
>> objects have been added on top (there is only one layer in
>> Inkscape).
>>
>> Can anyone think of a way of finding those objects - either in the
>> GUI or by looking at the SVG code so I can delete them?
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Phil.
>> --
>> Philip Rhoades