Question on text colors of info boxes ...

Question on text colors of info boxes ...

Dr.-Ing. Dieter Jurzitza
Dear listmembers,
I am quite happy with Inkscape (V 0.91 on openSUSE 42.1 with kde) with one
single exception I could not find a solution for until now:

Whenever I move the mouse - curser over an icon say on the left upright bar
with different symbols (for example the selection icon) a help text is
displayed.

Unfortunately this text is white on a light gray background: long text short
answer: one can hardly read what is shown in the box.

Could any kind soul shed light on this and (maybe ...) tell me how to fix this
problem? Any pointer is greatly appreciated,
many thanks in advance,
take care

Dieter Jurzitza

Re: Question on text colors of info boxes ...

Bugzilla from carlsymons@gmail.com
Inkscape uses GTK themes (System Settings > Application Style)

You may need to change to a different theme for GNOME Application
Style. [I use theme = Adwaita]

OR

mess around with colors in /usr/share/theme/[theme]/gtk-2.0/gtkrc
change #FFFFFF (white) to something darker (I use  #2e3436. #31363b, or #b8e8f)
[I use theme = Adwaita] After changing, you have to restart Inkscape
to see the change.

Sometimes an update will bring back the white on white scheme. Easy to
notice, easy to change.

On Fri, Jan 6, 2017 at 10:39 AM, Dr.-Ing. Dieter Jurzitza
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Dear listmembers,
> I am quite happy with Inkscape (V 0.91 on openSUSE 42.1 with kde) with one
> single exception I could not find a solution for until now:
>
> Whenever I move the mouse - curser over an icon say on the left upright bar
> with different symbols (for example the selection icon) a help text is
> displayed.
>
> Unfortunately this text is white on a light gray background: long text short
> answer: one can hardly read what is shown in the box.
>
> Could any kind soul shed light on this and (maybe ...) tell me how to fix this
> problem? Any pointer is greatly appreciated,
> many thanks in advance,
> take care
>

> Dieter Jurzitza

Re: Question on text colors of info boxes ...

Dr.-Ing. Dieter Jurzitza
Dear Carl,
thank you very much for this pointer - based on your help I was able to fix
the color setting issue that caused the trouble.
And yes, definitively easy to notice :-). And, due to your help, easy to fix
now.
Thanks again,
take care

Dieter Jurzitza

*****

Re: Question on text colors of info boxes ...

Dr.-Ing. Dieter Jurzitza
Dear listmembers,
I got another hint that is (IMHO) even better than fiddling with gtkrc:

In KDE system-settings -> color -> options you find a checkbox "apply colors
to non-QT programs". If one disables this, the colors are just fine, even with
the original file gtkrc.

Maybe this is of help for someone.

********

Re: Question on text colors of info boxes ...

Bugzilla from carlsymons@gmail.com
On Fri, Jan 6, 2017 at 11:38 PM, Dr.-Ing. Dieter Jurzitza
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> Dear listmembers,
> I got another hint that is (IMHO) even better than fiddling with gtkrc:

I agree. Dealing with the issue by editing gtkrc has felt "wrong", a
kludge inappropriate to the high quality of Inkscape, GTK and KDE,
virtual duct tape.

Thank you.
Carl