[RESEND] inkscape-0.92.3pre0 source tarball now available

[RESEND] inkscape-0.92.3pre0 source tarball now available

Bryce Harrington-3
----- Forwarded message from Mail Delivery Subsystem <[hidden email]> -----

Date: Sat, 3 Mar 2018 21:02:24 -0800
From: Mail Delivery Subsystem <[hidden email]>
To: [hidden email]
Subject: Returned mail: see transcript for details

The original message was received at Sat, 3 Mar 2018 21:01:53 -0800
from static-50-53-76-183.bvtn.or.frontiernet.net [50.53.76.183]

<[hidden email]>
    (reason: 550 unknown user)

... while talking to mx.sourceforge.net.:
>>> DATA
<<< 550 unknown user
550 5.1.1 <[hidden email]>... User unknown
<<< 503-All RCPT commands were rejected with this error:
<<< 503-unknown user
<<< 503 Valid RCPT command must precede DATA

Reporting-MTA: dns; vinyl.outflux.net
Received-From-MTA: DNS; static-50-53-76-183.bvtn.or.frontiernet.net
Arrival-Date: Sat, 3 Mar 2018 21:01:53 -0800

Final-Recipient: RFC822; [hidden email]
Action: failed
Remote-MTA: DNS; mx.sourceforge.net
Diagnostic-Code: SMTP; 550 unknown user
Last-Attempt-Date: Sat, 3 Mar 2018 21:02:08 -0800

Date: Sat, 3 Mar 2018 21:01:43 -0800
From: Bryce Harrington <[hidden email]>
To: [hidden email]
Cc: Ryan Gorley <[hidden email]>, Martin Owens <[hidden email]>, the
 Adib <[hidden email]>, David Evans <[hidden email]>, Tim Sheridan
 <[hidden email]>, Ted Gould <[hidden email]>, mrdocs <[hidden email]>,
 Gord Caswell <[hidden email]>, Eduard Braun <[hidden email]>
Subject: inkscape-0.92.3pre0 source tarball now available

The 0.92.3pre0 pre-release source tarball is ready for packaging.  It
can be downloaded from:

    http://alpha.inkscape.org/releases/inkscape-0.92.3pre0.tar.bz2

The 0.92.x branch should now be considered in Hard Freeze + String Freeze.
Please touch base with me for any changes to code or translations from
now until release.

---

I'm late as usual with cutting the release, but other than that things
have gone smoothly.  I would very much appreciate if people could build
and test and give me a thumbs up if everything looks normal.  If no
serious issues crop up I will cut the final release next weekend.

Bryce

----- End forwarded message -----

Re: [RESEND] inkscape-0.92.3pre0 source tarball now available

LucaDC
Sorry if I ask a stupid question but with the change of building environment
I've lost track of the situation.
Is the 0.92.x branch meant to still run under Windows XP or has some
fundamental incompatibility that prevents it been introduced?
I haven't been able to gather a running release since a while, neither
compiling nor downloading. All of them can't find some entry point in a dll
(_time32 in msvcrt.dll for this one). I thought there was some work around
this problem to fix it so I was waiting for it to disappear, but it hasn't.

Thank you.

Luca

--
Sent from: http://inkscape.13.x6.nabble.com/Inkscape-Dev-f2781808.html

Re: [RESEND] inkscape-0.92.3pre0 source tarball now available

Marc Jeanmougin
Hi,

Le 05/03/2018 à 15:12, LucaDC a écrit :
> Is the 0.92.x branch meant to still run under Windows XP or has some
> fundamental incompatibility that prevents it been introduced?
AFAIK, some fundamental incompatibility has been introduced, so XP is
only supported up to 0.91.x

--
Mc

Re: [RESEND] inkscape-0.92.3pre0 source tarball now available

alvinpenner
just writing to confirm that this bug:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/inkscape/+bug/1732936
still exists in Inkscape 0.92.3pre0 (f5a6572, 2018-03-03)

I think this should be considered to be a blocker bug, since it did not
exist in rev:
Inkscape 0.92.2 (5c3e80d, 2017-08-06)

--
Sent from: http://inkscape.13.x6.nabble.com/Inkscape-Dev-f2781808.html

Re: [RESEND] inkscape-0.92.3pre0 source tarball now available

Eduard Braun
Am 05.03.2018 um 15:21 schrieb Marc Jeanmougin:
Hi,

Le 05/03/2018 à 15:12, LucaDC a écrit :
Is the 0.92.x branch meant to still run under Windows XP or has some
fundamental incompatibility that prevents it been introduced?
AFAIK, some fundamental incompatibility has been introduced, so XP is
only supported up to 0.91.x

Stop spreading rumors ;-)
That Information is true in respect to current master (0.93) which will never run on Windows XP due to GTK+3 not being compatible with Windows XP.

Current 0.92.x runs on Windows XP in principle, however please note
  • The pre0 builds I linked (CI builds with stock packages from MSYS2) currently do *not* run on Windows XP.
    (due to a bug in mingw-w64 which caused the _time32 bug, but was fixed in the meantime. However upstream MSYS2 is unwilling to rebuild some packages [1] with the fixed mingw-w64 version - willingness to still support XP is fading)
  • I have those packages rebuilt locally and I will build the final release with these packages, so it will run on Windows XP.

Long term (i.e. beyond 0.92.3) it will be questionable if we can continue to support Windows XP (third party libraries are dropping support for XP quickly these days), but seeing as Microsoft ended support for Windows XP four years ago I think it's fair to point users who still require XP for whatever reason to the 0.92.3 release in that case.

Best Regards
Eduard

[1] https://github.com/Alexpux/MINGW-packages/pull/3260

Re: [RESEND] inkscape-0.92.3pre0 source tarball now available

LucaDC
Eduard Braun wrote
> Current 0.92.x runs on Windows XP in principle, however please note
>   * The pre0 builds I linked (CI builds with stock packages from MSYS2)
>     currently do *not* run on Windows XP.
>     (due to a bug in mingw-w64 which caused the _time32 bug, but was
>     fixed in the meantime. However upstream MSYS2 is unwilling to
>     rebuild some packages [1] with the fixed mingw-w64 version -
>     willingness to still support XP is fading)
>   * I have those packages rebuilt locally and I will build the final
>     release with these packages, so it will run on Windows XP.

Thank you Eduard for the explanations. I had read pieces of them but didn't
fully get the point.
Now I see that I'm out of hope for being able to build Inkscape myself for
Windows XP, at least not with the time and efforts I'm willing to spend on
it.
Can you please give me directions on where I'll be able to find the "fixed"
release? Do you plan to make it available as a 0.92.3preX to test or should
I wait the _final_and_official_ release only?

Eduard Braun wrote
> Long term (i.e. beyond 0.92.3) it will be questionable if we can
> continue to support Windows XP (third party libraries are dropping
> support for XP quickly these days), but seeing as Microsoft ended
> support for Windows XP four years ago I think it's fair to point users
> who still require XP for whatever reason to the 0.92.3 release in that
> case.

IMHO this is absolutely reasonable.
I'm just looking for a stable release to freeze into my XP system and never
ever think about updating it. Now I have a devel- release that works pretty
well for its purpose but sometimes has some quirks which I think have been
addressed (I don't experience them with the more recent 64 bit version on
Windows 7).

Thank you.

Luca

Am 05.03.2018 um 16:46 schrieb LucaDC:

> Eduard Braun wrote
>> Current 0.92.x runs on Windows XP in principle, however please note
>>    * The pre0 builds I linked (CI builds with stock packages from MSYS2)
>>      currently do *not* run on Windows XP.
>>      (due to a bug in mingw-w64 which caused the _time32 bug, but was
>>      fixed in the meantime. However upstream MSYS2 is unwilling to
>>      rebuild some packages [1] with the fixed mingw-w64 version -
>>      willingness to still support XP is fading)
>>    * I have those packages rebuilt locally and I will build the final
>>      release with these packages, so it will run on Windows XP.
> Thank you Eduard for the explanations. I had read pieces of them but didn't
> fully get the point.
> Now I see that I'm out of hope for being able to build Inkscape myself for
> Windows XP, at least not with the time and efforts I'm willing to spend on
> it.

If you have interest in that respect I can upload the pacman packages
which can be easily installed.
Even building packages from scratch is not hard at all in principle (you
only need to download the build recipe and run "makepkg-mingw -s" from
an MSYS shell in the directory containing the recipe, see [1] for details).

[1] https://github.com/msys2/msys2/wiki/Creating-Packages

> Can you please give me directions on where I'll be able to find the "fixed"
> release? Do you plan to make it available as a 0.92.3preX to test or should
> I wait the _final_and_official_ release only?

I decided to skip uploading my own builds as pre-releases as CI
automatically produces fully working builds (with the exception of
Windows XP) that are almost identical to what I do locally, and
preparing even a pre-release takes a significant amount of time for me
(~1 hour compiling, ~1 hour packing, ~1 hour uploading)
If there are testers around who have an actual interest in running a
pre-release on Windows XP (beyond checking if it runs - I do that myself
in a virtual machine) I can publish one of my local builds, though (just
let me know...).

> Eduard Braun wrote
>> Long term (i.e. beyond 0.92.3) it will be questionable if we can
>> continue to support Windows XP (third party libraries are dropping
>> support for XP quickly these days), but seeing as Microsoft ended
>> support for Windows XP four years ago I think it's fair to point users
>> who still require XP for whatever reason to the 0.92.3 release in that
>> case.
> IMHO this is absolutely reasonable.
> I'm just looking for a stable release to freeze into my XP system and never
> ever think about updating it. Now I have a devel- release that works pretty
> well for its purpose but sometimes has some quirks which I think have been
> addressed (I don't experience them with the more recent 64 bit version on
> Windows 7).
>
> Thank you.
>
> Luca
>

> --
> Sent from: http://inkscape.13.x6.nabble.com/Inkscape-Dev-f2781808.html

Re: [RESEND] inkscape-0.92.3pre0 source tarball now available

LucaDC
Eduard Braun wrote
> Even building packages from scratch is not hard at all in principle (you
> only need to download the build recipe and run "makepkg-mingw -s" from
> an MSYS shell in the directory containing the recipe, see [1] for
> details).
>
> [1] https://github.com/msys2/msys2/wiki/Creating-Packages

Well, thank you! I've taken a quick look and it seems straightforward. I'll
probably give it a try as soon as I have some time.

Eduard Braun wrote
> If there are testers around who have an actual interest in running a
> pre-release on Windows XP (beyond checking if it runs - I do that myself
> in a virtual machine) I can publish one of my local builds, though (just
> let me know...).

If specific XP testing is useful, I can work with your local build on my
normal activities (technical drawings): my usage is rather limited
considering all Inskcape's capabilities, so not really a throughout test.
Otherwise I don't mind waiting the final release.

Luca

--
Sent from: http://inkscape.13.x6.nabble.com/Inkscape-Dev-f2781808.html