Quantcast

RESETTING DEFAULTS

rock fest
HELLO INKSCAPE - I LOVE WHAT YOU PEOPLE ARE DOING!  NOW I NEED TO KNOW
SOMETHING. I'VE BEEN FOOLING AROUND FOR AWHILE, & READING EVERY POST ON
THIS FORUM. I LIKE TO ANSWER MY OWN QUESTIONS FIRST, BUT NOW I'M
STYMIED. USING 4.2 ON OSX.3.9 I REALIZED THAT WHEN I OPENED A NEW
DOCUMENT IT RETAINED WHATEVER FORMATTING TO SHAPE FILL COLOR & LINE I
HAD MADE WHILE FOOLING AROUND THE LAST TIME. TODAY, I DRAGGED 4.2 TO
THE TRASH & INSTALLED 4.2.2 USUALLY, I LIKE TO TRASH THE PLIST FILE,
CACHE, & ANYTHING ELSE I CAN FIND LIKE THIS TOO. OTHERWISE I'VE HAD
PROBLEMS CARRY OVER OR EVEN NEW ONES CREATED ( I LEARNED THIS TRICK
FROM APPLE SUPPORT FORUM , ERASING & REINSTALLING & UPGRADING OSX
SEVERAL TIMES ). BUT I CAN'T FIND ANY OTHER FILES OR FOLDERS FOR
INKSCAPE OTHER THAN THE APP ICON ITSELF, ANYWHERE ON MY COMPUTER. SO,
JUST AS I FEARED, THE VERY SHAPE,COLOR & LINE MODIFICATIONS I PERFORMED
LAST SESSION FOOLING AROUND UNDER 4.2  ARE STILL THE DEFAULTS FOR NEW
DOCS UNDER THE NEW INSTALLATION OF 4.2.2,  NOW, I WENT THROUGH ALL THE
MENUS & PREFS I COULD FIND. DEFAULT BUTTONS FOR THE SHAPE TOOLS RESET
THE SHAPES THEMSELVES BACK TO ORIGINAL, BUT NOTHING I FOUND WILL RESET
THE COLOR OR LINE ASPECTS BACK TO A DEFAULT. SO, IS THERE A WAY TO
RESET GLOBAL DEFAULTS FOR ENTIRE APPLICATION AT ONCE ? OR, FAILING
THAT, WHERE IS THAT PESKY LITTLE PLIST FILE HIDING ?! - THANX FOR A
GOOD TIME, ROCK FEST

Re: RESETTING DEFAULTS

Nicu Buculei (OCAL)
rock fest wrote:
> HELLO INKSCAPE - I LOVE WHAT YOU PEOPLE ARE DOING!  NOW I NEED TO KNOW
> SOMETHING. I'VE BEEN FOOLING AROUND FOR AWHILE, & READING EVERY POST ON
> THIS FORUM. I LIKE TO ANSWER MY OWN QUESTIONS FIRST, BUT NOW I'M

Please, do not write using ALL CAPS, this is usually considered as
shouting and is *extremely* impolite.
This or a defective keyboard... :D

> STYMIED. USING 4.2 ON OSX.3.9 I REALIZED THAT WHEN I OPENED A NEW
> DOCUMENT IT RETAINED WHATEVER FORMATTING TO SHAPE FILL COLOR & LINE I
> HAD MADE WHILE FOOLING AROUND THE LAST TIME. TODAY, I DRAGGED 4.2 TO THE
> TRASH & INSTALLED 4.2.2 USUALLY, I LIKE TO TRASH THE PLIST FILE, CACHE,
> & ANYTHING ELSE I CAN FIND LIKE THIS TOO. OTHERWISE I'VE HAD PROBLEMS
> CARRY OVER OR EVEN NEW ONES CREATED ( I LEARNED THIS TRICK FROM APPLE
> SUPPORT FORUM , ERASING & REINSTALLING & UPGRADING OSX SEVERAL TIMES ).
> BUT I CAN'T FIND ANY OTHER FILES OR FOLDERS FOR INKSCAPE OTHER THAN THE
> APP ICON ITSELF, ANYWHERE ON MY COMPUTER. SO, JUST AS I FEARED, THE VERY
> SHAPE,COLOR & LINE MODIFICATIONS I PERFORMED LAST SESSION FOOLING AROUND
> UNDER 4.2  ARE STILL THE DEFAULTS FOR NEW DOCS UNDER THE NEW
> INSTALLATION OF 4.2.2,  NOW, I WENT THROUGH ALL THE MENUS & PREFS I
> COULD FIND. DEFAULT BUTTONS FOR THE SHAPE TOOLS RESET THE SHAPES
> THEMSELVES BACK TO ORIGINAL, BUT NOTHING I FOUND WILL RESET THE COLOR OR
> LINE ASPECTS BACK TO A DEFAULT. SO, IS THERE A WAY TO RESET GLOBAL
> DEFAULTS FOR ENTIRE APPLICATION AT ONCE ? OR, FAILING THAT, WHERE IS
> THAT PESKY LITTLE PLIST FILE HIDING ?! - THANX FOR A GOOD TIME, ROCK FEST

File->Inkscape Preferences->Tools and change from "Current Style" to
"This tool's own style" for _each_ tool you want to remain unchanged.

--
nicu

Re: RESETTING DEFAULTS

Trent W. Buck
Nicu Buculei <[hidden email]> writes:

> rock fest wrote:
>> HELLO INKSCAPE - I LOVE WHAT YOU PEOPLE ARE DOING!  NOW I NEED TO KNOW
>> SOMETHING. I'VE BEEN FOOLING AROUND FOR AWHILE, & READING EVERY POST ON THIS
>> FORUM. I LIKE TO ANSWER MY OWN QUESTIONS FIRST, BUT NOW I'M
>
> Please, do not write using ALL CAPS, this is usually considered as shouting and
> is *extremely* impolite.
> This or a defective keyboard... :D

I thought it was an EULA :-)

--
Trent Buck, Student Errant

Re: RESETTING DEFAULTS

Bugzilla from horkana@maths.tcd.ie

Please do not use ALL CAPS.  It is much harder to read (to the point of
being almost painful like a bad optical illusion).
If you cannot touch type then please use all lower case.
Etiquette may not seem important but if you put a little more effort in
people will be more likely to put effort into providing you a better
answer (we are all unpaid volunteers doing this in our spare time).  Help
us to help you.

Settings files for inkscape are being stored somewhere and you need to
delete them.  There should be no need to delete inkscape itself.
On Linux the files would be in your users home directory in a hidden
folder called
.inkscape/
and a file called
.inkscape/preferences.xml

I do not know where exactly on Mac OS this information would be stored but
perhaps you can use the standard search tools to find it.

Sincerely

Alan Horkan

Inkscape http://inkscape.org
Abiword http://www.abisource.com