Re: Download page inkscape, please sort by system

Re: Download page inkscape, please sort by system

Victor Westmann
Hi Olof,

I am trying this option right now and it seems that it will work. So +1 for this! However, since this solution only applies for the version 10 of Windows... and we would like, I believe, to make this more uniform experience.. what would you say if we document a way, in Inkscape wiki, for windows users to download a certain version of Ubuntu (16 or 17, for now) and configure it on Oracle Virtual Box?

How is this seen by Inkscape project? Is it ok if I separate a lot of programs and put then in a Dropbox/MegaUpload account with the links to download? Sort of a Inkscape-Website-Windows-Bundle-SDK-ish? ;-)

Let me know your thoughts on this.

--Victor Westmann

Victor you could also try the Linux subsystem for Windows 10:

Guess it depends on what is in those scripts if it will work.

Den 14 aug. 2017 06:44 skrev "Bryce Harrington" <[hidden email]>:
On Sun, Aug 13, 2017 at 10:22:37PM -0700, Victor Westmann wrote:
> Hi Martin,
>
> I was able to clone the inkscape-web project to my machine.
> But the 3rd and 4th commands I believe are only targeted to Linux machines
> and not Windows.
>
> ./utils/init
> ./utils/run [<domain>:<port>]
>
> Do you know how can I run those on Windows?

Possibly you may want to look at how to run a Linux virtual machine on
Windows, and run the commands inside that.

> --Victor Westmann

> > Hi Victor,
> >
> > You can start here: https://gitlab.com/inkscape/inkscape-web/wikis/
> > development/
> >
> > Let me know if you need any help, I'll be on IRC #inkscape-devel if
> > you have questions.
> >
> > Best Regards, Martin Owens
> >
> > On 11 August 2017 at 11:39, Victor Westmann <[hidden email]>
> > wrote:
> > > Hi Bryce and Martin,
> > >
> > > I read the wiki page on Gitlab. Is beautifully organized. Thanks for
> > that.
> > >
> > > Where should I start? How do I check my initial access to the website?
> > > What are the help options available for newbies on the website (not for
> > the
> > > application)?
> > >

> > > --Victor Westmann

> > that

> > can
> > the

> > [hidden email]>

> > of

Re: Download page inkscape, please sort by system

Victor Westmann
Hi Martin,

Thank you for your suggestion. I will also try this. It seems that this solution would work on most (if not all) windows versions.
Is it ok if I document this on Inkscape wiki?

Let me know. ;-)

--Victor Westmann

Hi Victor,

We do highly recommend getting VirtualBox and installing Ubuntu inside
it. There is said that one can use containers for Mac and Windows, but
I don't know them well enough to advise or script to make them work.

Hope you're able to join us despite the os barrier.

Best Regards, Martin Owens

On 14 August 2017 at 01:52, Olof Bjarnason <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Victor you could also try the Linux subsystem for Windows 10:
>
> https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/commandline/wsl/install_guide
>
> Guess it depends on what is in those scripts if it will work.
>

> Den 14 aug. 2017 06:44 skrev "Bryce Harrington" <[hidden email]>:
>>
>> On Sun, Aug 13, 2017 at 10:22:37PM -0700, Victor Westmann wrote:
>> > Hi Martin,
>> >
>> > I was able to clone the inkscape-web project to my machine.
>> > But the 3rd and 4th commands I believe are only targeted to Linux
>> > machines
>> > and not Windows.
>> >
>> > ./utils/init
>> > ./utils/run [<domain>:<port>]
>> >
>> > Do you know how can I run those on Windows?
>>
>> Possibly you may want to look at how to run a Linux virtual machine on
>> Windows, and run the commands inside that.
>>

>> > --Victor Westmann

Re: Download page inkscape, please sort by system

objarni
On 19 August 2017 at 22:58, Victor Westmann <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Olof,
>
> I am trying this option right now and it seems that it will work. So +1 for
> this! However, since this solution only applies for the version 10 of
> Windows... and we would like, I believe, to make this more uniform
> experience.. what would you say if we document a way, in Inkscape wiki, for
> windows users to download a certain version of Ubuntu (16 or 17, for now)
> and configure it on Oracle Virtual Box?
>
> How is this seen by Inkscape project? Is it ok if I separate a lot of
> programs and put then in a Dropbox/MegaUpload account with the links to
> download? Sort of a Inkscape-Website-Windows-Bundle-SDK-ish? ;-)
>
> Let me know your thoughts on this.

I'm not sure I understand your question. Documenting on the Wiki
different ways to run the inkscape.org website/app locally I'm sure is
welcomed by Inkscape web devs.

The VBox way is sure to work on most Windows versions, however
mentioning that it actually works using Linux subsystem for Win10
users doesn't hurt, I guess.

Happy developing,

> --Victor Westmann

>> Victor you could also try the Linux subsystem for Windows 10:
>>
>> https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/commandline/wsl/install_guide
>>
>> Guess it depends on what is in those scripts if it will work.
>>

>> Den 14 aug. 2017 06:44 skrev "Bryce Harrington"
>> <[hidden email]>:

>>> Possibly you may want to look at how to run a Linux virtual machine on
>>> Windows, and run the commands inside that.

Re: Download page inkscape, please sort by system

Victor Westmann
I still want to document this, showing all the steps, and try to smoothen this experience for Windows users somehow... but it seems that using the Linux Subsystem for Windows 10 won't work for me. ;-(

So going with the option that Martin suggested me... trying to use Oracle Virtual Box and Ubuntu 17 now.. I will keep you guys posted!

On 19 August 2017 at 23:07, Victor Westmann <[hidden email]> wrote:
I still want to document this, showing all the steps, and try to smoothen this experience for Windows users somehow... but it seems that using the Linux Subsystem for Windows 10 won't work for me. ;-(

So going with the option that Martin suggested me... trying to use Oracle Virtual Box and Ubuntu 17 now.. I will keep you guys posted!

That's too bad - did you try updating your Windows, as the error message hints?

Anyway, VirtualBox + Ubuntu guest O/S seems a safer bet for you ...

--Victor Westmann

Hi Olof,

I am trying this option right now and it seems that it will work. So +1 for this! However, since this solution only applies for the version 10 of Windows... and we would like, I believe, to make this more uniform experience.. what would you say if we document a way, in Inkscape wiki, for windows users to download a certain version of Ubuntu (16 or 17, for now) and configure it on Oracle Virtual Box?

How is this seen by Inkscape project? Is it ok if I separate a lot of programs and put then in a Dropbox/MegaUpload account with the links to download? Sort of a Inkscape-Website-Windows-Bundle-SDK-ish? ;-)

Let me know your thoughts on this.

--Victor Westmann

Victor you could also try the Linux subsystem for Windows 10:

Guess it depends on what is in those scripts if it will work.

Den 14 aug. 2017 06:44 skrev "Bryce Harrington" <[hidden email]>:
On Sun, Aug 13, 2017 at 10:22:37PM -0700, Victor Westmann wrote:
> Hi Martin,
>
> I was able to clone the inkscape-web project to my machine.
> But the 3rd and 4th commands I believe are only targeted to Linux machines
> and not Windows.
>
> ./utils/init
> ./utils/run [<domain>:<port>]
>
> Do you know how can I run those on Windows?

Possibly you may want to look at how to run a Linux virtual machine on
Windows, and run the commands inside that.

> --Victor Westmann

> > Hi Victor,
> >
> > You can start here: https://gitlab.com/inkscape/inkscape-web/wikis/
> > development/
> >
> > Let me know if you need any help, I'll be on IRC #inkscape-devel if
> > you have questions.
> >
> > Best Regards, Martin Owens
> >
> > On 11 August 2017 at 11:39, Victor Westmann <[hidden email]>
> > wrote:
> > > Hi Bryce and Martin,
> > >
> > > I read the wiki page on Gitlab. Is beautifully organized. Thanks for
> > that.
> > >
> > > Where should I start? How do I check my initial access to the website?
> > > What are the help options available for newbies on the website (not for
> > the
> > > application)?
> > >

> > > --Victor Westmann

> > that

> > can
> > the

> > [hidden email]>

> > of

Re: Download page inkscape, please sort by system

Hi Victor,

Documenting using Virtual Box would be good. The inkscape-web wiki is
on gitlab:  https://gitlab.com/inkscape/inkscape-web/wikis/

A bundle can be made and made available on the website. Although for
that sort of bundling (if I understand this all right) you can make a
windows based ansible container instead. But I don't know much about
all that.

Best Regards, Martin Owens

On 19 August 2017 at 16:58, Victor Westmann <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Olof,
>
> I am trying this option right now and it seems that it will work. So +1 for
> this! However, since this solution only applies for the version 10 of
> Windows... and we would like, I believe, to make this more uniform
> experience.. what would you say if we document a way, in Inkscape wiki, for
> windows users to download a certain version of Ubuntu (16 or 17, for now)
> and configure it on Oracle Virtual Box?
>
> How is this seen by Inkscape project? Is it ok if I separate a lot of
> programs and put then in a Dropbox/MegaUpload account with the links to
> download? Sort of a Inkscape-Website-Windows-Bundle-SDK-ish? ;-)
>
> Let me know your thoughts on this.
>

> --Victor Westmann

>> Victor you could also try the Linux subsystem for Windows 10:
>>
>> https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/commandline/wsl/install_guide
>>
>> Guess it depends on what is in those scripts if it will work.
>>

>> Den 14 aug. 2017 06:44 skrev "Bryce Harrington"
>> <[hidden email]>:

>>> Possibly you may want to look at how to run a Linux virtual machine on
>>> Windows, and run the commands inside that.

Re: Download page inkscape, please sort by system

Victor Westmann
Hi Martin,

when you say "Windows based ansible container" you mean something like Docker?

--Victor Westmann

Hi Victor,

Documenting using Virtual Box would be good. The inkscape-web wiki is
on gitlab:  https://gitlab.com/inkscape/inkscape-web/wikis/

A bundle can be made and made available on the website. Although for
that sort of bundling (if I understand this all right) you can make a
windows based ansible container instead. But I don't know much about
all that.

Best Regards, Martin Owens

On 19 August 2017 at 16:58, Victor Westmann <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi Olof,
>
> I am trying this option right now and it seems that it will work. So +1 for
> this! However, since this solution only applies for the version 10 of
> Windows... and we would like, I believe, to make this more uniform
> experience.. what would you say if we document a way, in Inkscape wiki, for
> windows users to download a certain version of Ubuntu (16 or 17, for now)
> and configure it on Oracle Virtual Box?
>
> How is this seen by Inkscape project? Is it ok if I separate a lot of
> programs and put then in a Dropbox/MegaUpload account with the links to
> download? Sort of a Inkscape-Website-Windows-Bundle-SDK-ish? ;-)
>
> Let me know your thoughts on this.
>

> --Victor Westmann

>> Victor you could also try the Linux subsystem for Windows 10:
>>
>> https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/commandline/wsl/install_guide
>>
>> Guess it depends on what is in those scripts if it will work.
>>

>> Den 14 aug. 2017 06:44 skrev "Bryce Harrington"
>> <[hidden email]>:

>>> Possibly you may want to look at how to run a Linux virtual machine on
>>> Windows, and run the commands inside that.

Re: Download page inkscape, please sort by system

Martin Owens-2
Victor,

Yes, something that is or is like docker. I hear windows devs use it a
lot. But I've never needed it, so couldn't tell you much about any of
the container frameworks.

Martin,