Re: Fundrasing for FOSS Projects - meetup this saturday

Re: Fundrasing for FOSS Projects - meetup this saturday

Andrew Kurn
Sorry:  I must ask for context.

Why does Inkscape need money?

Can you give some idea of how much we spend each year and how
much we take in?  Doesn't need to be a full income statement,
but hit the high points.

Andrew

On Fri 15 Mar 2019 23:59 -0700, Bryce Harrington wrote:

> Reminder: Tomorrow (Saturday) is our fundraising meet up.  Come join us
> to learn about fundraising for free and open source software projects,
> and bounce ideas around.

Re: Fundrasing

Andrew Kurn
Mmmm.  I get the idea that our big expenses are hosting events, hackfests.
Everything else is relatively minor.

I'm not clear on what we would do if we scale up, but it sounds like
we would hire programmers to fix "less sexy items".

So is that what we're talking about?  Starting to have employees?
I can't think of anything else that would need order of $100 000.
And, if you could fill me in on other things employees might do,
that would be appreciated.

Andrew

On Mon 18 Mar 2019 21:52 -0700, Bryce Harrington wrote:

> On Sun, Mar 17, 2019 at 04:56:11PM -0400, [hidden email] wrote:
> > On Sun, 2019-03-17 at 13:47 -0700, Andrew Kurn wrote:
> > > Why does Inkscape need money?
> >
> > The low budget requirements are for things like hackfest travel,
> > hotels, stickers, posters, hardware, DNS, trademark registration, legal
> > defense, (and then accountancy because of said needs for money).
> >
> > Depending on the source of money, there can be lots of things Inkscape
> > could do with a good budget. We've been using money for a long time
> > now.

. . .

>   everything that needs done, particularly for the
> less sexy items, and some stuff is just completely out of everyone's
> wheelhouse so never gets tackled.
>

>  FY2017    $43,932.18    $-4,772.44     $39159.74     $80905.74
>  FY2018    $64,687.41   $-23,314.87     $41372.54    $122278.28
>
> For FY2019, estimate $10k expense for the Pasadena hackfest, and
> probably another $10-15k for the one in Saarbr├╝cken this May.

Scaling up: was Fundrasing for FOSS Projects - meetup this saturday

Steve Litt
On Mon, 18 Mar 2019 21:52:11 -0700
Bryce Harrington <[hidden email]> wrote:

> But a message we've been hearing consistently is that people want to
> see Inkscape scale up to take on larger challenges.  Being completely
> developed by volunteers in their spare time, it's hard to assemble
> enough manpower to do everything that needs done, particularly for the
> less sexy items, and some stuff is just completely out of everyone's
> wheelhouse so never gets tackled.

Be careful what you wish for. 90% of the times I've seen software
projects, FOSS or otherwise, scale up to take on larger challenges, the
result is an inefficient solution to those challenges, combined with a
watering down or complete destruction of what made the software good
before in the first place.

And when such upscaling projects are flush with money, they tend to
dive in first and make foundational decisions later. Good software gone
bad.

When the time comes that an improvement is really compelling, those who
want it will include someone with the knowledge to go into the code,
find an approximate insertion point for the new feature, perhaps even
get it to run, and then tell the Inkscape developers about it.

But in my opinion, scaling up for the sake of scaling up is the surest
way to mess up a project.

SteveT