Re: Inkscape 0.92.4 bugfix release

Dwain Alford

Download Inkscape 0.92.4 packages here:

  https://inkscape.org/release/

seems kind of strange not seeing the mac offering now. maybe one day it will return?

cheers,
dwain

Re: Inkscape 0.92.4 bugfix release

Maren Hachmann
Read more about this at

https://inkscape.org/news/2019/01/17/inkscape-launches-version-0924/

Maren

On Thu, 2019-01-17 at 19:51 -0600, Dwain Alford wrote:
> seems kind of strange not seeing the mac offering now. maybe one day
> it will return?

It's not strange at all, it's been an ongoing problem for a long time.
We just don't have the people to make a MacOSX release.

Others have said that it's ok to release a xorg or homebrew build as a
Mac release. I personally believe we should just admit we don't support
MacOSX at a standard high enough to say we support Mac at all.

Until we get the volunteers who can support the platform. I'm going to
keep working the recruiting process and my thanks goes to Maren and
others to keep mentioning our need for Mac people.

Best Regards, Martin OWens

Re: Inkscape 0.92.4 bugfix release

Jason H

>>Download Inkscape 0.92.4 packages here:
>>
>>  https://inkscape.org/release/

> seems kind of strange not seeing the mac offering now. maybe one day it will return?

So that's why I subscribed. It's problematic. However the latest inkscape should be installable with homebrew. If not it is very close. There were issues with 0.92.2 Can you try homebrew and report back?

Re: Inkscape 0.92.4 bugfix release

Dwain Alford
i have tried macports and homebrew and prefer not to use either. i am currently using valerio's current build 0.92.3, or so this is what the gitlab project states. i find this build to be quicker to load and meets my needs. my comment was actually directed at the possibility of the download link referencing this build. until this build can be incorporated into the current source code to where xquartz is no longer needed for the mac and no longer needed period, then a favorable solution for mac users to the problem would be to establish a symbiotic relationship with valerio and request the link to his 0.92.3 build on gitlab be established on the inkscape web site with a brief explanation of this "fork" of the project for mac users.

i am not a programmer. i would help if i had any programming skills. this situation of a lack of mac programmers is a frustration to mac users as well as the developers. even though mac is a unix based os, it is not linux, and with all of the new security measures incorporated into mojave, it appears that apple is trying to stifle open source programs from being used on apple products.

inkscape has a current build for mac that works and is under development. would it not be proper for us to embrace what we have? the developers have been talking about not using quartz/xquartz for as long as i have been using inkscape. the model exists, why not move in that direction?

best,

dwain alford

On Fri, Jan 18, 2019 at 1:36 PM Jason H <[hidden email]> wrote:

>>Download Inkscape 0.92.4 packages here:
>>
>>  https://inkscape.org/release/

> seems kind of strange not seeing the mac offering now. maybe one day it will return?

So that's why I subscribed. It's problematic. However the latest inkscape should be installable with homebrew. If not it is very close. There were issues with 0.92.2 Can you try homebrew and report back?

Re: Inkscape 0.92.4 bugfix release

Maren Hachmann
I've tried to get replies from Valerio, but haven't had any success so far.

I'm only going to link to builds (making them look official) where the
person making them is in contact with the project.

If you'd like to support the Mac development efforts, maybe you could
help by calling up a meeting in the Mac development chat channel? You
don't need to be a programmer to do that.

https://chat.inkscape.org/channel/mac-dev

Forrest said he'd have a closer look at what needs to be done this
week-end, so organizing a meeting where at least 3 or 4 persons who are
interested in moving this effort forward can attend, would probably be a
good idea for this coming or the following week.

You can read up on discussions so far in the channel.

The meeting could be used to distribute tasks among those interested.

I've been thinking of pushing for that myself, but wouldn't mind if
someone else did :)

It's usually best to already suggest a time and ask if @all can attend,
not to ask when they would have time, these requests usually get little
attention.

There will be a board meeting and a vectors team meeting on February 1st
and February 2nd, respectively. Those days are maybe not great, because
people are already doing meetings.

Would you be interested to help with that, Dwain?

 Maren

On Sun, 2019-01-20 at 05:04 -0600, Dwain Alford wrote:
> until this build can be incorporated into the current source code to
> where xquartz

I merged as much as I could cleanly from the fork back at the hackfest
in Germany last year. But it was maybe 1% of the code, very very little
of it was applicable. This was because:

 a) Most of the changes are actually a fork of Gtk2 libs, things we
don't carry in the inkscape codebase.
 b) Most of the other changes were in the build system, which we have
changed completely since the fork.
 c) The rest of the changes related to either Gtk2 specific or the fork
lib specific items.

I'm really hoping that the fork can be studied and translated into a
new version based on 1.0, but it's going to take some organising. The
most help the better.