Re: [Inkscape-docs] Adding extensions api docs

Re: [Inkscape-docs] Adding extensions api docs

Eduard Braun
Hi all,

do we have someone with experience regarding doxygen?

Mois put some work into documenting the extension API (see inkscape-docs
thread [1] for details and [2] for the open MR on GitLab). Some feedback
would certainly be appreciated and it might be a good opportunity to
recruit some help, whip our source documentation into shape and make it
a bit more useful overall!

Thanks in advance,
Eduard

[1]
https://sourceforge.net/p/inkscape/mailman/inkscape-docs/thread/e9aeb332-1592-801b-bc9a-76f4f76f8f4e%40gmail.com/#msg36107772
[2] https://gitlab.com/inkscape/inkscape/merge_requests/123/

Am 14.11.2017 um 17:48 schrieb Mois:

> Alright, here is a second attempt at generating the extensions docs.
> http://monomon.me/stuff/inkscape-doxygen-extensions/
>
> Now they are separate from the Inkscape core documentation.
> It does seem more useful this way - otherwise there's too much...
>
> I added a couple of small subpages which should be expanded down the line.
> They should probably also link extensively to the wiki.
>
> I still haven't tried running the gitlab ci locally after my first
> failed attempt.
> Been working with docker for a bit and I like it, but it frequently has
> issues.
>
> Anyway, going to make a pull request for this part, and will integrate
> into ci later.
>
> Cheers,
> Mois

Re: [Inkscape-docs] Adding extensions api docs

Mois
Thank you Eduard.

I think there is an acceptable structure of the doxygen pages already
(at least for now),
but most of all I would like to add a CI step for building the
documentation and potentially uploading it somewhere.

I already have the code for this, but didn't have luck with the gitlab
docker runner locally, so it's untested.
Does it work if I just push a separate branch?
Alternatively, I see that a merge request has the build run on it, but
would the .gitlab-ci.yml be taken from the fork?

Another issue is that doxygen is not installed on the CI runner hosts:
https://gitlab.com/monomon/inkscape/-/jobs/40347524

The Dockerfile of the image needs to be changed too. I'll do this, but
I've no clue how to coordinate it.

Regards,
Mois

On 11/14/2017 09:26 PM, Eduard Braun wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> do we have someone with experience regarding doxygen?
>
> Mois put some work into documenting the extension API (see
> inkscape-docs thread [1] for details and [2] for the open MR on
> GitLab). Some feedback would certainly be appreciated and it might be
> a good opportunity to recruit some help, whip our source documentation
> into shape and make it a bit more useful overall!
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Eduard
>

> [1]
> https://sourceforge.net/p/inkscape/mailman/inkscape-docs/thread/e9aeb332-1592-801b-bc9a-76f4f76f8f4e%40gmail.com/#msg36107772
> [2] https://gitlab.com/inkscape/inkscape/merge_requests/123/
>

> Am 14.11.2017 um 17:48 schrieb Mois:
>> Alright, here is a second attempt at generating the extensions docs.
>> http://monomon.me/stuff/inkscape-doxygen-extensions/
>>
>> Now they are separate from the Inkscape core documentation.
>> It does seem more useful this way - otherwise there's too much...
>>
>> I added a couple of small subpages which should be expanded down the
>> line.
>> They should probably also link extensively to the wiki.
>>
>> I still haven't tried running the gitlab ci locally after my first
>> failed attempt.
>> Been working with docker for a bit and I like it, but it frequently has
>> issues.
>>
>> Anyway, going to make a pull request for this part, and will integrate
>> into ci later.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Mois

Re: [Inkscape-docs] Adding extensions api docs

Marc Jeanmougin
> Another issue is that doxygen is not installed on the CI runner hosts:
> https://gitlab.com/monomon/inkscape/-/jobs/40347524
>
> The Dockerfile of the image needs to be changed too. I'll do this, but
> I've no clue how to coordinate it.

Should be fixed (I just added doxygen to the Dockerfile).
I also just merged the doxygen MR now that I understood how to build it
and could test it :)

> Alternatively, I see that a merge request has the build run on it, but
> would the .gitlab-ci.yml be taken from the fork?
Yes, if it's in the MR diff.

The easiest thing to do would probably be to automatically get gitlab to
upload stuff to http://inkscape.gitlab.io/inkscape/

Some time ago I put the scan-build result there, but it would make sense
to have subfolders /doxygen/ and /scan-build/ to store different
artifacts that are produced from the code. Would it be enough to rebuild
the doc only every month (we can change the frequency) along with the
scan-build report so that they are uploaded together ?
(I put an attempt at
https://gitlab.com/inkscape/inkscape/merge_requests/134 )

--
Mc

Re: [Inkscape-docs] Adding extensions api docs

Marc Jeanmougin
[Done]

http://inkscape.gitlab.io/inkscape/

Thanks, Mois !

--
Mc

On Wed, Nov 22, 2017 at 01:47:07AM +0100, Marc Jeanmougin wrote:

> > Another issue is that doxygen is not installed on the CI runner hosts:
> > https://gitlab.com/monomon/inkscape/-/jobs/40347524
> >
> > The Dockerfile of the image needs to be changed too. I'll do this, but
> > I've no clue how to coordinate it.
>
> Should be fixed (I just added doxygen to the Dockerfile).
> I also just merged the doxygen MR now that I understood how to build it
> and could test it :)
>
> > Alternatively, I see that a merge request has the build run on it, but
> > would the .gitlab-ci.yml be taken from the fork?
> Yes, if it's in the MR diff.
>
> The easiest thing to do would probably be to automatically get gitlab to
> upload stuff to http://inkscape.gitlab.io/inkscape/
>
> Some time ago I put the scan-build result there, but it would make sense
> to have subfolders /doxygen/ and /scan-build/ to store different
> artifacts that are produced from the code. Would it be enough to rebuild
> the doc only every month (we can change the frequency) along with the
> scan-build report so that they are uploaded together ?
> (I put an attempt at
> https://gitlab.com/inkscape/inkscape/merge_requests/134 )
>
> --
> Mc

Re: [Inkscape-docs] Adding extensions api docs

Maren Hachmann
Updated / added to website.

Maren