Re: [Inkscape-docs] UX team?

Brynn
Oh!  (Copying over to dev and user lists.)  There are so very many people
interested in working on the UX  (I seem to recall several people had been
signed up -- it's hard to believe not one of them would volunteer for this
simple task.

If "the team's business" means writing the intro, Team Details and Charter, I
can do that.  What other business might there be?  (Even though I'm leading the
Moderators Team, I suspect the "business" is probably different.)

If it requires a lot of work, let's put it up on the To-Do List page, to try to
recruit someone.  But what kind of business is it?

Re: [Inkscape-docs] UX team?

Martin Owens-2
On Wed, 2017-09-20 at 07:57 -0600, brynn wrote:

> Oh!  (Copying over to dev and user lists.)  There are so very many
> people
> interested in working on the UX  (I seem to recall several people had
> been
> signed up -- it's hard to believe not one of them would volunteer for
> this
> simple task.
>
> If "the team's business" means writing the intro, Team Details and
> Charter, I
> can do that.  What other business might there be?  (Even though I'm
> leading the
> Moderators Team, I suspect the "business" is probably different.)
>
> If it requires a lot of work, let's put it up on the To-Do List page,
> to try to
> recruit someone.  But what kind of business is it?

The above, plus managing ux requests and making sure the team has a
function that it can maintain. So if we have a discussion about a ux
piece, there's a gitlab issues tracker or similar we can all go to.

But the actual setup is up to the leader and team tbh.

Re: [Inkscape-docs] UX team?

Bryce Harrington-3
On Wed, Sep 20, 2017 at 10:07:24AM -0400, Martin Owens wrote:

> On Wed, 2017-09-20 at 07:57 -0600, brynn wrote:
> > Oh!  (Copying over to dev and user lists.)  There are so very many
> > people
> > interested in working on the UX  (I seem to recall several people had
> > been
> > signed up -- it's hard to believe not one of them would volunteer for
> > this
> > simple task.
> >
> > If "the team's business" means writing the intro, Team Details and
> > Charter, I
> > can do that.  What other business might there be?  (Even though I'm
> > leading the
> > Moderators Team, I suspect the "business" is probably different.)
> >
> > If it requires a lot of work, let's put it up on the To-Do List page,
> > to try to
> > recruit someone.  But what kind of business is it?
>
> The above, plus managing ux requests and making sure the team has a
> function that it can maintain. So if we have a discussion about a ux
> piece, there's a gitlab issues tracker or similar we can all go to.
>
> But the actual setup is up to the leader and team tbh.

"A function that it can maintain" is definitely true.  A UX team would
be notably different from, say, the Docs or Vectors team, in that it is
(ideally) inward facing rather than outward facing.  Documentation and
marketing have essentially stand-alone output, with their input being
into our development efforts.  A UX team operates in the reverse
direction, so will require setting up tighter coordination.  So a
principle goal for setting up a UX team would be working out a good
strategy for getting development done on the changes they identify.

I have some further ideas here on how to relate the team to our
development roadmap, and would be happy to brainstorm with anyone
interested in getting this ux team up and running.

Re: [Inkscape-user] [Inkscape-docs] UX team?

Ryan Gorley-2
I would propose we consider changing the "Development Team" to the "Product Team" and integrating UX, UI, Testing, and Programming into a more coordinated and cohesive group. Just my $0.02.

Ryan Gorley
Managing Partner | Dijt

On Wed, Sep 20, 2017 at 2:27 PM, Bryce Harrington <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Wed, Sep 20, 2017 at 10:07:24AM -0400, Martin Owens wrote:
> On Wed, 2017-09-20 at 07:57 -0600, brynn wrote:
> > Oh!  (Copying over to dev and user lists.)  There are so very many
> > people
> > interested in working on the UX  (I seem to recall several people had
> > been
> > signed up -- it's hard to believe not one of them would volunteer for
> > this
> > simple task.
> >
> > If "the team's business" means writing the intro, Team Details and
> > Charter, I
> > can do that.  What other business might there be?  (Even though I'm
> > leading the
> > Moderators Team, I suspect the "business" is probably different.)
> >
> > If it requires a lot of work, let's put it up on the To-Do List page,
> > to try to
> > recruit someone.  But what kind of business is it?
>
> The above, plus managing ux requests and making sure the team has a
> function that it can maintain. So if we have a discussion about a ux
> piece, there's a gitlab issues tracker or similar we can all go to.
>
> But the actual setup is up to the leader and team tbh.

"A function that it can maintain" is definitely true.  A UX team would
be notably different from, say, the Docs or Vectors team, in that it is
(ideally) inward facing rather than outward facing.  Documentation and
marketing have essentially stand-alone output, with their input being
into our development efforts.  A UX team operates in the reverse
direction, so will require setting up tighter coordination.  So a
principle goal for setting up a UX team would be working out a good
strategy for getting development done on the changes they identify.

I have some further ideas here on how to relate the team to our
development roadmap, and would be happy to brainstorm with anyone
interested in getting this ux team up and running.

Re: [Inkscape-user] [Inkscape-docs] UX team?

C R

I would propose we consider changing the "Development Team" to the "Product Team" and integrating UX, UI, Testing, and Programming into a more coordinated and cohesive group. Just my $0.02.

+1 But I'd leave it as "Development" - people are more familiar with that term than the rather nebulous "Product Team"... which sounds almost like merchandising. :)

If UX is integrated into development, then it is part of development.

-C

Ryan Gorley
Managing Partner | Dijt

On Wed, Sep 20, 2017 at 2:27 PM, Bryce Harrington <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Wed, Sep 20, 2017 at 10:07:24AM -0400, Martin Owens wrote:
> On Wed, 2017-09-20 at 07:57 -0600, brynn wrote:
> > Oh!  (Copying over to dev and user lists.)  There are so very many
> > people
> > interested in working on the UX  (I seem to recall several people had
> > been
> > signed up -- it's hard to believe not one of them would volunteer for
> > this
> > simple task.
> >
> > If "the team's business" means writing the intro, Team Details and
> > Charter, I
> > can do that.  What other business might there be?  (Even though I'm
> > leading the
> > Moderators Team, I suspect the "business" is probably different.)
> >
> > If it requires a lot of work, let's put it up on the To-Do List page,
> > to try to
> > recruit someone.  But what kind of business is it?
>
> The above, plus managing ux requests and making sure the team has a
> function that it can maintain. So if we have a discussion about a ux
> piece, there's a gitlab issues tracker or similar we can all go to.
>
> But the actual setup is up to the leader and team tbh.

"A function that it can maintain" is definitely true.  A UX team would
be notably different from, say, the Docs or Vectors team, in that it is
(ideally) inward facing rather than outward facing.  Documentation and
marketing have essentially stand-alone output, with their input being
into our development efforts.  A UX team operates in the reverse
direction, so will require setting up tighter coordination.  So a
principle goal for setting up a UX team would be working out a good
strategy for getting development done on the changes they identify.

I have some further ideas here on how to relate the team to our
development roadmap, and would be happy to brainstorm with anyone
interested in getting this ux team up and running.

Re: [Inkscape-docs] UX team?

Aaahh.  Well that is far more than I can handle.

I thought it was a more tangible team than apparently it really is.  As a
humble, not-so-technically inclined user, I would say that such a team is
definitely needed.

It seems like I've seen relatively a lot of people offer to help with UI/UX.  If
all that's lacking is one or 2 people to take a leadership or organizational
role, I wonder if adding it to the To-Do List page would help?