Re: forum rules and guidelines

Will Godfrey
On Tue, 12 Feb 2019 10:36:48 -0700
"brynn" <[hidden email]> wrote:

>Hi Friends,
>        As the new forum is rapidly being finished, it's probably a good time to
>formalize the rules and guidelines for it.  If anyone is interested in helping
>to draft this document or documents, please reply here.
>
>        Once we have a group, we'll decide exactly how we want to handle this.
>When we started on this a couple of years ago, we used FramaPad, which allows
>users to edit documents live.  I found it had the basic features that we needed.
>Or I think there are other similar types of sites.  Although I'd be just as
>happy to be more old school, and exchange ODT or DOC files.  But we can decide
>as a group.
>
>        There aren't really any requirements to participate.  Just care about
>the forum and how it functions  :-)
>
>All best,
>brynn

I would suggest using ODT. It may not seem initially any better or more
convenient, and although not immune to bugs, at least you can be sure it will
never contain any tracking code or third party advertising - both of which which
are often vulnerable to injecting exploits on your machine.

--
Will J Godfrey
http://www.musically.me.uk

Re: forum rules and guidelines

Steve Litt
On Tue, 12 Feb 2019 18:14:45 +0000
Will Godfrey <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Tue, 12 Feb 2019 10:36:48 -0700
> "brynn" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> >Hi Friends,
> >        As the new forum is rapidly being finished, it's probably a
> > good time to
> >formalize the rules and guidelines for it.  If anyone is interested
> >in helping to draft this document or documents, please reply here.
> >
> >        Once we have a group, we'll decide exactly how we want to
> > handle this.
> >When we started on this a couple of years ago, we used FramaPad,
> >which allows users to edit documents live.  I found it had the basic
> >features that we needed. Or I think there are other similar types of
> >sites.  Although I'd be just as happy to be more old school, and
> >exchange ODT or DOC files.  But we can decide as a group.
> >
> >        There aren't really any requirements to participate.  Just
> > care about
> >the forum and how it functions  :-)
> >
> >All best,
> >brynn
>
> I would suggest using ODT. It may not seem initially any better or
> more convenient, and although not immune to bugs, at least you can be
> sure it will never contain any tracking code or third party
> advertising - both of which which are often vulnerable to injecting
> exploits on your machine.

ODT is awful. LibreOffice is pretty bad. Why not plain text, or if that
doesn't work for us, HTML?

SteveT

Re: forum rules and guidelines

C R
I vote markdown as the "format" or non-format if you like. :)
Then export to various other formats if needed.

-C

On Sun, Feb 17, 2019 at 6:39 AM Steve Litt <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Tue, 12 Feb 2019 18:14:45 +0000
Will Godfrey <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Tue, 12 Feb 2019 10:36:48 -0700
> "brynn" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> >Hi Friends,
> >        As the new forum is rapidly being finished, it's probably a
> > good time to
> >formalize the rules and guidelines for it.  If anyone is interested
> >in helping to draft this document or documents, please reply here.
> >
> >        Once we have a group, we'll decide exactly how we want to
> > handle this.
> >When we started on this a couple of years ago, we used FramaPad,
> >which allows users to edit documents live.  I found it had the basic
> >features that we needed. Or I think there are other similar types of
> >sites.  Although I'd be just as happy to be more old school, and
> >exchange ODT or DOC files.  But we can decide as a group.
> >
> >        There aren't really any requirements to participate.  Just
> > care about
> >the forum and how it functions  :-)
> >
> >All best,
> >brynn
>
> I would suggest using ODT. It may not seem initially any better or
> more convenient, and although not immune to bugs, at least you can be
> sure it will never contain any tracking code or third party
> advertising - both of which which are often vulnerable to injecting
> exploits on your machine.

ODT is awful. LibreOffice is pretty bad. Why not plain text, or if that
doesn't work for us, HTML?

SteveT

Re: forum rules and guidelines

C R
Here's my crack at a forum code of conduct: "No spam, stay on the forum topic, be excellent to each other."

Additionally, I recommend we have areas of the forum with additional sets of rules, based on the content.

For example: political art, jobs (posting), self-promotion (requests for commissions) in order to keep other areas free from either of those things, but give users the freedom to post what they like elsewhere.

Maybe even a section for (legal) adult/nudity/erotica made with Inkscape, since what counts as offensive varies widely, and there needs to be some specific area to post so sensitive people (or people at work) don't get an eye-full of something they don't like to see.

Thoughts?
-C

(by legal, I mean no depictions of ANYTHING illegal in the country where Inkscape's servers are. We can spell that out if we need to, or leave it up to the users to look into it.)

On Sun, Feb 17, 2019 at 3:04 PM C R <[hidden email]> wrote:
I vote markdown as the "format" or non-format if you like. :)
Then export to various other formats if needed.

-C

On Sun, Feb 17, 2019 at 6:39 AM Steve Litt <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Tue, 12 Feb 2019 18:14:45 +0000
Will Godfrey <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Tue, 12 Feb 2019 10:36:48 -0700
> "brynn" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> >Hi Friends,
> >        As the new forum is rapidly being finished, it's probably a
> > good time to
> >formalize the rules and guidelines for it.  If anyone is interested
> >in helping to draft this document or documents, please reply here.
> >
> >        Once we have a group, we'll decide exactly how we want to
> > handle this.
> >When we started on this a couple of years ago, we used FramaPad,
> >which allows users to edit documents live.  I found it had the basic
> >features that we needed. Or I think there are other similar types of
> >sites.  Although I'd be just as happy to be more old school, and
> >exchange ODT or DOC files.  But we can decide as a group.
> >
> >        There aren't really any requirements to participate.  Just
> > care about
> >the forum and how it functions  :-)
> >
> >All best,
> >brynn
>
> I would suggest using ODT. It may not seem initially any better or
> more convenient, and although not immune to bugs, at least you can be
> sure it will never contain any tracking code or third party
> advertising - both of which which are often vulnerable to injecting
> exploits on your machine.

ODT is awful. LibreOffice is pretty bad. Why not plain text, or if that
doesn't work for us, HTML?

SteveT

Re: forum rules and guidelines

doctormo
On Sun, 2019-02-17 at 15:20 +0000, C R wrote:
> Here's my crack at a forum code of conduct: "No spam, stay on the
> forum topic, be excellent to each other."

Spam - Define
excellent - Define

Now you know why these things end up thousands of words 😛

> Additionally, I recommend we have areas of the forum with additional
> sets of rules, based on the content.
>
> For example: political art, jobs (posting), self-promotion (requests
> for commissions) in order to keep other areas free from either of
> those things, but give users the freedom to post what they like
> elsewhere.

Jobs is interesting just as a concept. Jobs to do, people who need
jobs. that sort of thing.

> Maybe even a section for (legal) adult/nudity/erotica made with
> Inkscape, since what counts as offensive varies widely, and there
> needs to be some specific area to post so sensitive people (or people
> at work) don't get an eye-full of something they don't like to see.

One of the reasons we keep the gallery on inkscape.org PC is because we
have no adult controls. That is, we have no ability to hide pictures
from people who are not adults or who have not agreed to see them. Like
deviantArt's or Istagrams adult content warning filters.

Last time we talked about it, I believe only I was half in support of
adult images on the basis of being open. But no one else was, and
that's fine too. Technically we couldn't support it.

Re: forum rules and guidelines

C R

Spam - Define

Is there anyone on the internet that doesn't know what spam is? :)
Also, the longer the COC, the less likely people are to read it.

excellent - Define

Treat everyone as if they were a dear friend.
If someone asks you to stop doing something to them, stop.

Now you know why these things end up thousands of words 😛

Yes, and why they generally are not read by anyone, and why some projects get laughed at for disallowing "virtual hugs" (being too specific).
More specifics means more things for people to pick apart and fight about. Codes of Conduct are not seen in the best of light at the moment, and it's partially due to them being generally overly restrictive and sometimes divisive.
And many times way too specific.

> Additionally, I recommend we have areas of the forum with additional
> sets of rules, based on the content.
>
> For example: political art, jobs (posting), self-promotion (requests
> for commissions) in order to keep other areas free from either of
> those things, but give users the freedom to post what they like
> elsewhere.

Jobs is interesting just as a concept. Jobs to do, people who need
jobs. that sort of thing.

Invariably, we will get political art. I highly recommend treating it like adult material and keeping it to one particular section. If there's no where to put it, people will put it everywhere, and cause fights.
Conversely if you go wandering into the political art section (past the warning), you know what to expect. People can argue to their hearts content in this area, and maybe just kick back and forth at eachother with art. It's sure to be a battle Royal, which is why it should have it's own section.

> Maybe even a section for (legal) adult/nudity/erotica made with
> Inkscape, since what counts as offensive varies widely, and there
> needs to be some specific area to post so sensitive people (or people
> at work) don't get an eye-full of something they don't like to see.

One of the reasons we keep the gallery on inkscape.org PC is because we
have no adult controls. That is, we have no ability to hide pictures
from people who are not adults or who have not agreed to see them. Like
deviantArt's or Istagrams adult content warning filters.

Yea, I withdraw my suggestion then. Probably worth putting that in the COC. With an explanation that we'd like to, but we're just not set up for it.
So what do we say? Swimsuits lingerie okay, no depictions of sexual organs?

-C

Last time we talked about it, I believe only I was half in support of
adult images on the basis of being open. But no one else was, and
that's fine too. Technically we couldn't support it.

Customizing the Rex X in the color palette that changes the fill?

Ole Ersoy
I've tried out a few different themes as outlined here:

https://medium.com/@ole.ersoy/installing-inkscape-icon-themes-on-ubuntu-af3ebce3352d

None of them change the little red X in the color palette that switches off the fill.  Is it possible to customize this?

TIA,

Ole

Re: Customizing the Rex X in the color palette that changes the fill?

Maren Hachmann
As far as I know, there is no such setting. I suspect it is hardcoded
somewhere, but couldn't find with a quick search.

Maren

Am 17.02.19 um 20:35 schrieb Ole Ersoy:

> I've tried out a few different themes as outlined here:
>
> https://medium.com/@ole.ersoy/installing-inkscape-icon-themes-on-ubuntu-af3ebce3352d
>

> None of them change the little red X in the color palette that switches
> off the fill.  Is it possible to customize this?
>
> TIA,
>
> Ole

Re: forum rules and guidelines

Hi C R (and Will and Steve),
        Thanks for your comments.  I made a jobs board in Inkscape Community,
because it's a 3rd party forum, and well, because "I can".  But setting up
something for nudity or politics on the official forum would take a LOT of
discussion, not to mention words.

        I think the forum, like the rest of the website, needs to be
family-friendly, by the US definition of family friendly, because it seems to be
the most restrictive (i.e. safe, legally).

        Until the website has some way to hide and label images as "nsfw" or
something like that, I don't think we could have things like political art or
nudity (which are currently excluded by the CoC).  As a moderator, I absolutely
cringe at the thought of "political art" in today's world.  I mean, omg, doesn't
facebook do that job well enough for the whole world already?

        Plus, I have not been thinking of this new forum as having sections for
displaying artwork.  Because I mean, we have the gallery for displaying images.
People could put links to their galley space.  But posting images in the forum,
which are also still in the gallery....I don't know, it just seems excessive.

        But I don't know.  So far, it's only you 3 addressed with this message
who have responded.  And I think 2 of you just had to speak up about the file
formats.  And btw, that's just a thought for composing the darn thing.  I don't
expect it to take more than a couple of hours, so it's really not a big deal how
we compose it.

        Anyway, this is the general plan.  Or at least, no one has spoken
against it.  After we write the rules about how staff (moderators) are selected,
then the staff will be selected.  And then the staff would decide about boards
and categories.  I would think if there are separate rules for separate boards,
they will be posted in a sticky message in that board, and not written into the
forum rules.

        I think a jobs board would be great!  And if the staff wants boards for
displaying artwork, I wouldn't oppose it.

        Do you all really want to help?  Or did you just want to make your
comments?

Here's my crack at a forum code of conduct: "No spam, stay on the forum topic,
be excellent to each other."

Additionally, I recommend we have areas of the forum with additional sets of
rules, based on the content.

For example: political art, jobs (posting), self-promotion (requests for
commissions) in order to keep other areas free from either of those things, but
give users the freedom to post what they like elsewhere.

Maybe even a section for (legal) adult/nudity/erotica made with Inkscape, since
what counts as offensive varies widely, and there needs to be some specific area
to post so sensitive people (or people at work) don't get an eye-full of
something they don't like to see.

Thoughts?
-C

(by legal, I mean no depictions of ANYTHING illegal in the country where
Inkscape's servers are. We can spell that out if we need to, or leave it up to
the users to look into it.)

On Sun, Feb 17, 2019 at 3:04 PM C R <[hidden email]> wrote:

I vote markdown as the "format" or non-format if you like. :)
Then export to various other formats if needed.

-C

On Sun, Feb 17, 2019 at 6:39 AM Steve Litt <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Tue, 12 Feb 2019 18:14:45 +0000
Will Godfrey <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Tue, 12 Feb 2019 10:36:48 -0700
> "brynn" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> >Hi Friends,
> >        As the new forum is rapidly being finished, it's probably a
> > good time to
> >formalize the rules and guidelines for it.  If anyone is interested
> >in helping to draft this document or documents, please reply here.
> >
> >        Once we have a group, we'll decide exactly how we want to
> > handle this.
> >When we started on this a couple of years ago, we used FramaPad,
> >which allows users to edit documents live.  I found it had the basic
> >features that we needed. Or I think there are other similar types of
> >sites.  Although I'd be just as happy to be more old school, and
> >exchange ODT or DOC files.  But we can decide as a group.
> >
> >        There aren't really any requirements to participate.  Just
> > care about
> >the forum and how it functions  :-)
> >
> >All best,
> >brynn
>
> I would suggest using ODT. It may not seem initially any better or
> more convenient, and although not immune to bugs, at least you can be
> sure it will never contain any tracking code or third party
> advertising - both of which which are often vulnerable to injecting
> exploits on your machine.

ODT is awful. LibreOffice is pretty bad. Why not plain text, or if that
doesn't work for us, HTML?

SteveT

Re: forum rules and guidelines

C R
Fair enough. :)
We need to spell out in the COC that political art and posts are not allowed if you don't want that stuff anywhere on the site. I was just thinking a place to dump the rubbish would be easier, but maybe not. Lol. I certainly would not go to that section, but I understand someone would still have to moderate it to some degree. What about religious stuff? To me that's political too.
Where to draw the line though?

Just a few thoughts.
-C

On Tue, 2019-02-19 at 20:58 -0700, brynn wrote:
> Do you all really want to help?  Or did you just want to make your
> comments?

Sorry Brynn,

I thought this post on the mailing list was part of the drafting
process. In the past we've discussed code of conduct and other
community documents in this way and I was repeating the mode of writing
we did in the past.

I did make the assumption that you would be facilitating the drafting
process. So getting in at the top of the thread with the best location
for the drafting seemed best.

Sorry again for making so many assumptions.

Re: forum rules and guidelines

C R
I figured also my comments would suffice. This is your show Brynn. I don't have time to help run it, sorry.

-C

On Wed, 20 Feb 2019, 17:24 , <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Tue, 2019-02-19 at 20:58 -0700, brynn wrote:
> Do you all really want to help?  Or did you just want to make your
> comments?

Sorry Brynn,

I thought this post on the mailing list was part of the drafting
process. In the past we've discussed code of conduct and other
community documents in this way and I was repeating the mode of writing
we did in the past.

I did make the assumption that you would be facilitating the drafting
process. So getting in at the top of the thread with the best location
for the drafting seemed best.

Sorry again for making so many assumptions.

Re: forum rules and guidelines

Those things already are disallowed in the CoC.  See the Guidelines for
User-Submitted Contents section.  https://inkscape.org/community/coc/

> [...]

> >which allows users to edit documents live.  I found it had the basic
> >features that we needed. Or I think there are other similar types of
> >sites.  Although I'd be just as happy to be more old school, and
> >exchange ODT or DOC files.  But we can decide as a group.
> >
> >        There aren't really any requirements to participate.  Just
> > care about
> >the forum and how it functions  :-)
> >
> >All best,
> >brynn
>
> I would suggest using ODT. It may not seem initially any better or
> more convenient, and although not immune to bugs, at least you can be
> sure it will never contain any tracking code or third party
> advertising - both of which which are often vulnerable to injecting
> exploits on your machine.

ODT is awful. LibreOffice is pretty bad. Why not plain text, or if that

Brynn
Yes, that's part of my proposal, which I've just posted.

https://gitlab.com/inkscape/vectors/content/blob/master/articles/Forum%20Rules%20and%20Guidelines/ForumRulesText.md

Mihaela posted a proposal first, and then mine's below hers.  It looks much
better in a word processor and I can never get that gitlab editor to make a good
format.  But anyway, hopefully you can sort it out.

Please, comments are very, very welcome!

Here's my crack at a forum code of conduct: "No spam, stay on the forum topic,
be excellent to each other."

Additionally, I recommend we have areas of the forum with additional sets of
rules, based on the content.

For example: political art, jobs (posting), self-promotion (requests for
commissions) in order to keep other areas free from either of those things, but
give users the freedom to post what they like elsewhere.

Maybe even a section for (legal) adult/nudity/erotica made with Inkscape, since
what counts as offensive varies widely, and there needs to be some specific area
to post so sensitive people (or people at work) don't get an eye-full of
something they don't like to see.

Thoughts?
-C

(by legal, I mean no depictions of ANYTHING illegal in the country where
Inkscape's servers are. We can spell that out if we need to, or leave it up to
the users to look into it.)

On Sun, Feb 17, 2019 at 3:04 PM C R <[hidden email]> wrote:

I vote markdown as the "format" or non-format if you like. :)
Then export to various other formats if needed.

-C

On Sun, Feb 17, 2019 at 6:39 AM Steve Litt <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Tue, 12 Feb 2019 18:14:45 +0000
Will Godfrey <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Tue, 12 Feb 2019 10:36:48 -0700
> "brynn" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> >Hi Friends,
> >        As the new forum is rapidly being finished, it's probably a
> > good time to
> >formalize the rules and guidelines for it.  If anyone is interested
> >in helping to draft this document or documents, please reply here.
> >
> >        Once we have a group, we'll decide exactly how we want to
> > handle this.
> >When we started on this a couple of years ago, we used FramaPad,
> >which allows users to edit documents live.  I found it had the basic
> >features that we needed. Or I think there are other similar types of
> >sites.  Although I'd be just as happy to be more old school, and
> >exchange ODT or DOC files.  But we can decide as a group.
> >
> >        There aren't really any requirements to participate.  Just
> > care about
> >the forum and how it functions  :-)
> >
> >All best,
> >brynn
>
> I would suggest using ODT. It may not seem initially any better or
> more convenient, and although not immune to bugs, at least you can be
> sure it will never contain any tracking code or third party
> advertising - both of which which are often vulnerable to injecting
> exploits on your machine.

ODT is awful. LibreOffice is pretty bad. Why not plain text, or if that
doesn't work for us, HTML?

SteveT

Re: forum rules and guidelines

Sorry, I sent the wrong link before.  This is better:
https://gitlab.com/inkscape/vectors/content/issues/45

Comment still welcome!