Re: inkscape-0.92.3pre0 source tarball now available

Re: inkscape-0.92.3pre0 source tarball now available

Patrick Storz
Am 04.03.2018 um 06:01 schrieb Bryce Harrington:

> The 0.92.3pre0 pre-release source tarball is ready for packaging.  It
> can be downloaded from:
>
>      http://alpha.inkscape.org/releases/inkscape-0.92.3pre0.tar.bz2
>
> The 0.92.x branch should now be considered in Hard Freeze + String Freeze.
> Please touch base with me for any changes to code or translations from
> now until release.
>
> ---
>
> I'm late as usual with cutting the release, but other than that things
> have gone smoothly.  I would very much appreciate if people could build
> and test and give me a thumbs up if everything looks normal.  If no
> serious issues crop up I will cut the final release next weekend.
>
> Bryce

Thanks Bryce!

As you did not publish a schedule this time you're probably only late
according to your own private schedule - If you hadn't mentioned it
nobody would have noticed. ;-)

Windows binaries and installers are available at [1] (64-bit) and [2]
(32-bit).
Do you want them on the website Bryce? (I noticed you uploaded the
tarball to alpha.inkscape.org -- do we even want to add a release to the
releases app on the website for the pre-release then? I think it can
only consume gallery items...)

[1]
https://ci.appveyor.com/project/inkscape/inkscape/build/INKSCAPE_0_92_3_PRE0-1077/job/j5o5vv16f9i4v3ih/artifacts
[2]
https://ci.appveyor.com/project/inkscape/inkscape/build/INKSCAPE_0_92_3_PRE0-1077/job/pp9scrjtlylmfhoi/artifacts

Regards,
Eduard

Re: inkscape-0.92.3pre0 source tarball now available

doctormo
On Sun, 2018-03-04 at 11:32 -0800, Bryce Harrington wrote:
> Yes, still upload the end-user downloadable content to the website.
> We have mirroring and caching set up there.
>
> Feel free to also copy the source tarball to the website.

A bit unfair to ask Eduard to do this, if the website isn't letting you
deploy files easily, then that's a tooling issue we can fix.

But I can't fix it if the social protocol is to not ask for help and
instead figure out a technical workaround.

Regards, Martin, Website guy who can help

Am 05.03.2018 um 05:56 schrieb Martin Owens:

> On Sun, 2018-03-04 at 11:32 -0800, Bryce Harrington wrote:
>> Yes, still upload the end-user downloadable content to the website.
>> We have mirroring and caching set up there.
>>
>> Feel free to also copy the source tarball to the website.
> A bit unfair to ask Eduard to do this, if the website isn't letting you
> deploy files easily, then that's a tooling issue we can fix.
>
> But I can't fix it if the social protocol is to not ask for help and
> instead figure out a technical workaround.
>
> Regards, Martin, Website guy who can help

I uploaded the files to the gallery and created the release:
https://inkscape.org/en/release/0.92.3pre0/

@Martin: What did you have in mind?
The most time consuming part for me is always filling out all the fields
for each upload (unfortunately we have a lot on Windows) - not sure
if/how could automate that, though...

Regards,
Eduard

Re: inkscape-0.92.3pre0 source tarball now available

Maren Hachmann
Am 05.03.2018 um 11:47 schrieb Eduard Braun:

> Am 05.03.2018 um 05:56 schrieb Martin Owens:
>> On Sun, 2018-03-04 at 11:32 -0800, Bryce Harrington wrote:
>>> Yes, still upload the end-user downloadable content to the website.
>>> We have mirroring and caching set up there.
>>>
>>> Feel free to also copy the source tarball to the website.
>> A bit unfair to ask Eduard to do this, if the website isn't letting you
>> deploy files easily, then that's a tooling issue we can fix.
>>
>> But I can't fix it if the social protocol is to not ask for help and
>> instead figure out a technical workaround.
>>
>> Regards, Martin, Website guy who can help
>
> I uploaded the files to the gallery and created the release:
> https://inkscape.org/en/release/0.92.3pre0/

- Thanks :) I just added a picture, and a link to the release notes draft.

Maren

On Mon, 2018-03-05 at 11:47 +0100, Eduard Braun wrote:

> Am 05.03.2018 um 05:56 schrieb Martin Owens:
> >
> > On Sun, 2018-03-04 at 11:32 -0800, Bryce Harrington wrote:
> > >
> > > Yes, still upload the end-user downloadable content to the
> > > website.
> > > We have mirroring and caching set up there.
> > >
> > > Feel free to also copy the source tarball to the website.
> > A bit unfair to ask Eduard to do this, if the website isn't letting
> > you
> > deploy files easily, then that's a tooling issue we can fix.
> >
> > But I can't fix it if the social protocol is to not ask for help
> > and
> > instead figure out a technical workaround.
> >
> > Regards, Martin, Website guy who can help
> I uploaded the files to the gallery and created the release:
> https://inkscape.org/en/release/0.92.3pre0/
>
> @Martin: What did you have in mind?
> The most time consuming part for me is always filling out all the
> fields
> for each upload (unfortunately we have a lot on Windows) - not sure
> if/how could automate that, though...

Well there's two portions, the upload part and the releases part.
Uploads could be done via scp for bryce, he has ssh access to the
webserver. But for others, a token upload would be useful if we want to
automate it.

The release is trickier because there's fields to fill in, although
maybe a way to make a release will fill in fields? Let me know.

Am 05.03.2018 um 13:31 schrieb Maren Hachmann:
> I just added a picture, and a link to the release notes draft.

Great!

I noticed you removed the "codename" which I think we need for hiding
pre-releases (or is there any other field to mark a release as
pre-release which I overlooked?):
https://gitlab.com/inkscape/inkscape-web/blob/master/releases/views.py#L150
(that is unless you specifically wanted to make the pre-release more
visible)

However I'm not sure it works as I think it should as
https://inkscape.org/en/release/ still points to the pre-release (which
I assume it should not?). Maybe a caching issue?

As Inkscape does not use codenames for releases, maybe we can drop the
codename field altogether?

Regards,
Eduard

On Mon, Mar 05, 2018 at 11:47:33AM +0100, Eduard Braun wrote:

> Am 05.03.2018 um 05:56 schrieb Martin Owens:
> >On Sun, 2018-03-04 at 11:32 -0800, Bryce Harrington wrote:
> >>Yes, still upload the end-user downloadable content to the website.
> >>We have mirroring and caching set up there.
> >>
> >>Feel free to also copy the source tarball to the website.
> >A bit unfair to ask Eduard to do this, if the website isn't letting you
> >deploy files easily, then that's a tooling issue we can fix.
> >
> >But I can't fix it if the social protocol is to not ask for help and
> >instead figure out a technical workaround.
> >
> >Regards, Martin, Website guy who can help
>
> I uploaded the files to the gallery and created the release:
> https://inkscape.org/en/release/0.92.3pre0/
>
> @Martin: What did you have in mind?
> The most time consuming part for me is always filling out all the fields for
> each upload (unfortunately we have a lot on Windows) - not sure if/how could
> automate that, though...
>
> Regards,
> Eduard

Yeah same for me.  What I really need, as I think I've mentioned in the
past, is a commandline tool that can be automated.

Perhaps instead, what I could do is along with the file itself, also scp
up a YAML descriptive file with metadata.  Then the toolage to produce
it is entirely on my end, and how it gets digested for display can be
dealt with as convenient.

Am 05.03.2018 um 14:49 schrieb Martin Owens:
> Well there's two portions, the upload part and the releases part.
> Uploads could be done via scp for bryce, he has ssh access to the
> webserver. But for others, a token upload would be useful if we want to
> automate it.

Maybe we could make the webserver pull releases from a fixed location
(may it be alpha.inkscape.org or something else)?
As far as I understood Bryce giving the release team SSH/SCP access to a
directory on alpha.inkscape.org would be a possibility - if the same
works for the website server itself it might be even easier.

Either way I support Bryce's earlier statement, that having a fixed
location with fixed file names (i.e. no slugs/ids like for website
gallery items) that can be updated if need be would be preferential for
certain applications (i.e. at the very least for packagers who need to
maintain build recipes pulling in the latest source tarball). Probably
not so important much for other (binary) releases, though.

> The release is trickier because there's fields to fill in, although
> maybe a way to make a release will fill in fields? Let me know.

Maybe we can (in the above scenario) construct the information from
uploaded filenames?

E.g. for a file called "inkscape-0.92.3pre0.tar.bz2" we immediately know
it's version 0.92.3pre0 and it's a source tarball.
For binary release we could come up with names like
"inkscape-0.92.3pre0-win-x86.exe" telling us it's a release for Windows,
i686 architecture, exe installer format.
Other metadata (license / authors) should be the same for all Inkscape
packages.
Checksums/signatures could be pulled in from *.md5/*.sig files of the
same name, e.g. inkscape-0.92.3pre0-win-x86.exe.md5.

If it's not straightforward to implement that's OK, though... releases
don't happen every day, so at least personally I always felt I could
invest the few additional minutes.

Am 05.03.2018 um 18:51 schrieb Bryce Harrington:
> Perhaps instead, what I could do is along with the file itself, also scp
> up a YAML descriptive file with metadata.  Then the toolage to produce
> it is entirely on my end, and how it gets digested for display can be
> dealt with as convenient.

While this sounds absolutely doable I'm not sure if it's not an overly
complicated solution?
The time every packager needs to invest to construct and update that
.yml file properly might be more hassle than it's worth...

Regards,
Eduard

On Mon, 2018-03-05 at 19:21 +0100, Eduard Braun wrote:
> Maybe we can (in the above scenario) construct the information from
> uploaded filenames?

> E.g. for a file called "inkscape-0.92.3pre0.tar.bz2" we immediately
> know
> it's version 0.92.3pre0 and it's a source tarball.
> For binary release we could come up with names like
> "inkscape-0.92.3pre0-win-x86.exe" telling us it's a release for
> Windows,
> i686 architecture, exe installer format.
> Other metadata (license / authors) should be the same for all
> Inkscape
> packages.
> Checksums/signatures could be pulled in from *.md5/*.sig files of
> the
> same name, e.g. inkscape-0.92.3pre0-win-x86.exe.md5.
>
> If it's not straightforward to implement that's OK, though...
> releases
> don't happen every day, so at least personally I always felt I could
> invest the few additional minutes.

This is perhaps the most interesting and useful way to get skeleton
entires up that I've heard. It fits quite well.

I'll ponder how to do it right.

The thing about stable filenames is just a django thing, it wants
uploaded files to be 'sacrid' so you don't accidentally stamp over
someone elses file. but it has their weird bug where you upload the
same file again to exactly the same object and it just makes a new
file. Inconvient.

Am 05.03.2018 um 17:56 schrieb Eduard Braun:

> Am 05.03.2018 um 13:31 schrieb Maren Hachmann:
>> I just added a picture, and a link to the release notes draft.
>
> Great!
>
> I noticed you removed the "codename" which I think we need for hiding
> pre-releases (or is there any other field to mark a release as
> pre-release which I overlooked?):
> https://gitlab.com/inkscape/inkscape-web/blob/master/releases/views.py#L150
> (that is unless you specifically wanted to make the pre-release more
> visible)
>
> However I'm not sure it works as I think it should as
> https://inkscape.org/en/release/ still points to the pre-release (which
> I assume it should not?). Maybe a caching issue?

- I tested after I changed it, and it didn't show up as primary download
for me (but it did change, so I assumed it had worked).
I found that duplicated name ugly...

According to the source code, what makes a pre-release a pre-release is
not the 'pre' in its name, but that its parent (the release, in this
case 0.92.3) does not have a date set, or the date is set after the
pre-release's date.

(https://gitlab.com/inkscape/inkscape-web/blob/master/releases/models.py#L132)

So the code name doesn't make a difference, we should be able to safely
remove it again. May I try?

Maren

Am 05.03.2018 um 21:59 schrieb Maren Hachmann:

> Am 05.03.2018 um 17:56 schrieb Eduard Braun:
>> Am 05.03.2018 um 13:31 schrieb Maren Hachmann:
>>> I just added a picture, and a link to the release notes draft.
>>
>> Great!
>>
>> I noticed you removed the "codename" which I think we need for hiding
>> pre-releases (or is there any other field to mark a release as
>> pre-release which I overlooked?):
>> https://gitlab.com/inkscape/inkscape-web/blob/master/releases/views.py#L150
>> (that is unless you specifically wanted to make the pre-release more
>> visible)
>>
>> However I'm not sure it works as I think it should as
>> https://inkscape.org/en/release/ still points to the pre-release (which
>> I assume it should not?). Maybe a caching issue?
>
> - I tested after I changed it, and it didn't show up as primary download
> for me (but it did change, so I assumed it had worked).
> I found that duplicated name ugly...
>
> According to the source code, what makes a pre-release a pre-release is
> not the 'pre' in its name, but that its parent (the release, in this
> case 0.92.3) does not have a date set, or the date is set after the
> pre-release's date.

- Mhm. Tried this (setting 0.92.3 without date as parent) but it doesn't
appear in the list of parents to select from, after I created it. So,
yeah...
I think I once opened an issue about the number of ancestors a release
can/cannot have on the website, which is maxed out by our point point
releases.

Maren

> (https://gitlab.com/inkscape/inkscape-web/blob/master/releases/models.py#L132)
>
> So the code name doesn't make a difference, we should be able to safely
> remove it again. May I try?
>
> Maren
>
>> As Inkscape does not use codenames for releases, maybe we can drop the
>> codename field altogether?
>>
>> Regards,
>> Eduard

Re: inkscape-0.92.3pre0 source tarball now available

Patrick Storz
Am 05.03.2018 um 21:59 schrieb Maren Hachmann:

> Am 05.03.2018 um 17:56 schrieb Eduard Braun:
>> Am 05.03.2018 um 13:31 schrieb Maren Hachmann:
>>> I just added a picture, and a link to the release notes draft.
>> Great!
>>
>> I noticed you removed the "codename" which I think we need for hiding
>> pre-releases (or is there any other field to mark a release as
>> pre-release which I overlooked?):
>> https://gitlab.com/inkscape/inkscape-web/blob/master/releases/views.py#L150
>> (that is unless you specifically wanted to make the pre-release more
>> visible)
>>
>> However I'm not sure it works as I think it should as
>> https://inkscape.org/en/release/ still points to the pre-release (which
>> I assume it should not?). Maybe a caching issue?
> - I tested after I changed it, and it didn't show up as primary download
> for me (but it did change, so I assumed it had worked).
> I found that duplicated name ugly...

That's why I suggested to drop the codename field below... a single
Version field should suffice IMO (as you note they are set to the same
anyway if set at all).

> According to the source code, what makes a pre-release a pre-release is
> not the 'pre' in its name, but that its parent (the release, in this
> case 0.92.3) does not have a date set, or the date is set after the
> pre-release's date.
>
> (https://gitlab.com/inkscape/inkscape-web/blob/master/releases/models.py#L132)

If I'm not missing something this function is not used anywhere.

> So the code name doesn't make a difference, we should be able to safely
> remove it again. May I try?

The codename *does* matter. I think the following code decides what the
"latest release" is:
https://gitlab.com/inkscape/inkscape-web/blob/master/releases/views.py#L56

Now I also get 0.92.2 again when visiting https://inkscape.org/en/release/

Am 05.03.2018 um 22:23 schrieb Eduard Braun:
> Am 05.03.2018 um 21:59 schrieb Maren Hachmann:
>> Am 05.03.2018 um 17:56 schrieb Eduard Braun:
>>> Am 05.03.2018 um 13:31 schrieb Maren Hachmann:

>>> However I'm not sure it works as I think it should as
>>> https://inkscape.org/en/release/ still points to the pre-release (which
>>> I assume it should not?). Maybe a caching issue?
>> - I tested after I changed it, and it didn't show up as primary download
>> for me (but it did change, so I assumed it had worked).
>> I found that duplicated name ugly...
>
> That's why I suggested to drop the codename field below... a single
> Version field should suffice IMO (as you note they are set to the same
> anyway if set at all).
>
>> According to the source code, what makes a pre-release a pre-release is
>> not the 'pre' in its name, but that its parent (the release, in this
>> case 0.92.3) does not have a date set, or the date is set after the
>> pre-release's date.
>>
>> (https://gitlab.com/inkscape/inkscape-web/blob/master/releases/models.py#L132)
>>

> If I'm not missing something this function is not used anywhere.
>
>> So the code name doesn't make a difference, we should be able to safely
>> remove it again. May I try?
>
> The codename *does* matter. I think the following code decides what the
> "latest release" is:
> https://gitlab.com/inkscape/inkscape-web/blob/master/releases/views.py#L56

- Yes, you're right. Confusing... @doctormo, can one of these two
options that make a pre-release a pre-release be removed, then?

Maren

On Mon, 2018-03-05 at 22:37 +0100, Maren Hachmann wrote:
> - Yes, you're right. Confusing... @doctormo, can one of these two
> options that make a pre-release a pre-release be removed, then?

I agree it is confusing. Looking into it, the 'pre' check was put in
because of pre point releases specifically. Because 0.92 release came
before 0.92.3pre0 date-wise.

I will correct the code with a field specifically for is_prerelease and
hopefully and clean up the items that check for pre.