Re: release notes

Luca Bruno
Bryce Harrington <[hidden email]> scrisse:

> On Sat, Jun 04, 2005 at 11:25:36AM -0700, John Cliff wrote:
> > > Thus, the best time to do it is probably during the Hard Freeze,
> > > which occurs just days before the actual release.  That won't give
> > > you very much time, but that's when the document is least likely
> > > to change.
> >
> > To be fair tho bryce, 95% of it wont change once we've hit soft
> > freeze, and the wiki gives pretty good diffs to track what has
> > changed between revisions.
>
> Yes, you're probably right, but I got the feeling he was asking when
> it would be 100% done, which occurs fairly late.  I seem to recall
> last time we were adding minor bits and pieces to it pretty well
> through the end of the release.
Thanks everybody,
of course I will start now translating pieces of notes which are up ATM
(in order to distribuite my work in my free time). But the
original question was: when Release will Notes be 100% ok? It seems to
me probably during the end of release plan, but from your mails i can
understand that after Soft Freeze there will be (almost) only minor
changes. And another question: how often is the NEWS file updated? Once
at the end of release plan? Is there a script which convert
Release-Notes->NEWS?

> Bryce

TIA, Luca

--

 .''`.  ** Debian GNU/Linux **  | Luca Bruno
: :'  :   The Universal O.S.    | luca.br(AT)uno.it

Re: release notes

Bryce Harrington
On Sun, Jun 05, 2005 at 02:49:37PM +0200, Luca Bruno wrote:
> Thanks everybody,
> of course I will start now translating pieces of notes which are up ATM
> (in order to distribuite my work in my free time). But the
> original question was: when Release will Notes be 100% ok? It seems to
> me probably during the end of release plan, but from your mails i can
> understand that after Soft Freeze there will be (almost) only minor
> changes.

Yes, that is the right idea for how things will go.

> And another question: how often is the NEWS file updated? Once
> at the end of release plan? Is there a script which convert
> Release-Notes->NEWS?

It is updated manually.  I don't think we've ever specified *when* it is
updated, but I think in many cases it's right before the release.
However, since it is just a short synopsis of the release notes, perhaps
it should be updated earlier, thus giving more time for translation.