Request to postpone release of Inkscape 1.0 Beta

Request to postpone release of Inkscape 1.0 Beta

C R
Everyone, we need all eyes on the text issues regarding line-height and any other text bugs remaining. On all versions of Inkscape, including trunk, I've found major issues that make text unusable in Inkscape.

I know text has always been a pain point for Inkscape, but we got blasted all over the internet by our own users for the text issues with the last release.

This is a crucial juncture - we either become known for releasing good software with no text regressions, or we become known for releasing an incomplete beta which is known to be broken, based on an arbitrary schedule, which is essentially unusable by anyone who relies on Inkscape's text and layout capabilities.

Currently, Jabier is working on a branch to fix these issues and needs everyone's help.

"@all we need extensive testing about text line height and font size on this branch. Probably there is 3 days left till beta launch and I hope it can be merged. https://gitlab.com/inkscape/inkscape/pipelines/79570661
"

Thanks for your help, your patience, and friendship,
-C

Thanks for you attention.

Re: Request to postpone release of Inkscape 1.0 Beta

Jabier Arraiza

Thanks CR.

Just for clarify, Im sceptic about delay beta launch...

We need testing of the new line height branch. I just do some
improvements pointed by Adam Bellis so CR link is outdated.

New one is the merge request itself, so always updated. PLease follow
the green tics to get your binary, I just commit so maybe you need to
wait 1-2 hours max. Here you can get your windows binaryes or appimage,
mac ones....

https://gitlab.com/inkscape/inkscape/merge_requests/796

Issues: With SVG2 Flow Text enabled (Text tool prefs) flowed text seems
broken, we are working on in in other side, when ready I ping again to
check thios also.

Flowed Text is when with the text tool do box to contain future text.