Quantcast

SVG Font Editor

alvinpenner
Does anyone know how to use the SVG Font editor in the Text menu? I haven't been able to get any sort of meaningful response from the dialog box that comes with it, and I haven't been able to find any documentation on it. (Windows XP)

Re: SVG Font Editor

w0rms

Hi
,
I kinda managed to make the SVG font editor do something, I believe it is not quite finished yet, or maybe it wasn't working on my build/Os combination.

I used rev21271 from May 1st, on Windows XP.

1) Draw something which looks like (for example) a capital A with the bezier tool

2) Select it (it is in its bounding box after drawing anyway)

3) Menu : Text / Svg font editor

4) Click on "new" at the bottom of the "font" column to start editing a new font (you can rename it)

5) Tab Global setting : I suppose it needs a font family here (but I know nothing about fonts)

6) Tab Glyphs : Click "from selection" at the top (your selected shape)

It draws the shape as a preview at the bottom of the tab.
You then click on the first row below "glyph / Unicode"

Enter: A and U0041 respectively in the row

Now type in the "sample text" a Capital A, you should see a preview of your shape

And I'm stuck here :-)

I was expecting the font to show in the list of my fonts, or to be able to select it in the "Text and Font" menu, but it didn't show, so I believe the interface is not finished yet (there is also no way to "save" the font...)

Hope that helps, anyway. Many people asked for SVG fonts! :)

> Does anyone know how to use the SVG Font editor in the Text
> menu? I haven't
> been able to get any sort of meaningful response from the
> dialog box that
> comes with it, and I haven't been able to find any
> documentation on it.
> (Windows XP)
> Nabble.com.

Re: SVG Font Editor

alvinpenner

worms invasion wrote
Enter: A and U0041 respectively in the row
      Thanks, that helped a lot! There had previously been a few bugs in this area, and as I was checking the bug reports I saw that they were fixed, but I couldn't figure out what to do next. I got up to the section where I typed in 'A and U0041'. At this point the text A and U0041 magically disappeared after a few seconds and I couldn't figure out where they went, but I did get to see the preview at the bottom which is way more than I had ever seen before.
    Hopefully someone will be working on this in GSoC?

Thanks for the help.

Re: SVG Font Editor

Felipe Sanches
I have coded the initial support for SVGFonts and the SVG Fonts Editor as part of my GSoC last year. So I can help you here.

"there is no way to save the font"
Actually there is a way. Save the SVG file. The fonts will be embedded in the document. For instance, this svg file can be imported into Fontforge in order to convert it to a truetype font.

"I was expecting the font to show in the list of my fonts"
well... currently we dont have integration of the svg fonts with the canvas. We are waiting libpango guys to implement proper support for the user-fonts feature in the lib. That's what currently blocking us. So, nowadays the only use of svg fonts in Inkscape is in the font design workflow, by exporting SVG files with fonts embedded and importing them into Fontforge.

There is a concept that has to be understood while using the SVG Font Editor. SVG Fonts have mapping of chunks of svg drawings to characteres. When a certain char is used in a string, its respective glyph is rendered. If no glyph is declared for a certain charactere, then there is a default "missing glyph" that is rendered. You can set the drawing that defined this missing glyph also. This is done by clicking on the Missing Glyph: From Selection... button at the top of the dialog.

so, an example of workflow would be:

1) click new font. Select it. You can rename it if you wish. You will see a set of black squares in the text preview area. This is the preview text being rendered. It only uses the default missing glyp (which is defined as a black square) because no specific glyph was defined yet.

2) draw something (your desired missing glyph)
3) click Missing Glyph: From selection...

4) draw a glyph for the "a" charactere (charactere matching is case sensitive)
5) on the glyphs tab click Add glyph
6) type "a" in the "Matching String" column (at the moment the glyph-name is not important. It still needs to be implemented, so at the moment it is irrelevant)

7) with the row selected, click "Get curves from selection..."
8) now you will probably see the "a" glyph in the preview rendering. I'm assuming the the preview text is "Sample Text", which contains the "a" charactere. Yopu can freely edit the preview text in order to test-drive the font rendering.

You can repeat steps 4 through 7 for every other glyph you wish to add to your font.

Felipe Sanches
a.k.a. JucaBlues at #inkscape irc.freenode.net

Re: SVG Font Editor

alvinpenner
    thanks, that helps a lot! With this I was able to successfully get the preview of my glyph to work, and I can see that when I edit my shape on the screen, the preview changes as well. This is very cool!
    I think a lot of my initial problem came from the mouse interface in the Glyphs tab. I didn't realize that two clicks were required, one to highlight the row and another to highlight the specific text box. And I didn't realize that there were two fields, one for name and one for letter. It might be worthwhile to put borders around the text boxes in the 'Glyphs' tab, similar to what was done in the 'Global Settings' tab. Also, has the Font tab been deliberately disabled? It behaves differently than the other three tabs, and it is not clear why. It would probably also be worthwhile to develop some documentation for this, since it is more complex than the other dialogs, like 'Fill and Stroke'.
    Just one final question, can this new glyph be used directly in any way in Inkscape, or is it necessary to first process it through Font Forge?
    Anyways, excellent work, hope to see more in the future ...

Re: SVG Font Editor

w0rms

Ahah, thanks for the clarification here!

One last point: could you briefly explain the use of the Font family and size options?

Thanks (for all the good work and stuff!)

> SVGFonts and the SVG Fonts Editor as part of my GSoC last
> year. So I can help you here.
>
> "there is no way to save the font"
> Actually there is a way. Save the SVG file. The fonts will
> be embedded in the document. For instance, this svg file can
> be imported into Fontforge in order to convert it to a
> truetype font.
>

> "I was expecting the font to show in the list of my
> fonts"
> well... currently we dont have integration of the svg fonts
> with the canvas. We are waiting libpango guys to implement
> proper support for the user-fonts feature in the lib.
> That's what currently blocking us. So, nowadays the only
> use of svg fonts in Inkscape is in the font design workflow,
> by exporting SVG files with fonts embedded and importing
> them into Fontforge.
>

> There is a concept that has to be understood while using
> the SVG Font Editor. SVG Fonts have mapping of chunks of svg
> drawings to characteres. When a certain char is used in a
> string, its respective glyph is rendered. If no glyph is
> declared for a certain charactere, then there is a default
> "missing glyph" that is rendered. You can set the
> drawing that defined this missing glyph also. This is done
> by clicking on the Missing Glyph: From Selection... button
> at the top of the dialog.
>

> so, an example of workflow would be:
>
> 1) click new font. Select it. You can rename it if you
> wish. You will see a set of black squares in the text
> preview area. This is the preview text being rendered. It
> only uses the default missing glyp (which is defined as a
> black square) because no specific glyph was defined yet.
>

> 2) draw something (your desired missing glyph)
> 3) click Missing Glyph: From selection...
>
> 4) draw a glyph for the "a" charactere
> (charactere matching is case sensitive)
> 5) on the glyphs tab click Add glyph
>
> 6) type "a" in the "Matching String"
> column (at the moment the glyph-name is not important. It
> still needs to be implemented, so at the moment it is
> irrelevant)
>
> 7) with the row selected, click "Get curves from
> selection..."
>
> 8) now you will probably see the "a" glyph in the
> preview rendering. I'm assuming the the preview text is
> "Sample Text", which contains the "a"
> charactere. Yopu can freely edit the preview text in order
> to test-drive the font rendering.
>

> You can repeat steps 4 through 7 for every other glyph you
> wish to add to your font.
>
> Felipe Sanches
> a.k.a. JucaBlues at #inkscape irc.freenode.net
>

> -----Inline Attachment Follows-----

> Check out the new simplified licensing option that enables
>
> unlimited royalty-free distribution of the report engine
> for externally facing server and web deployment.
> http://p.sf.net/sfu/businessobjects
> -----Inline Attachment Follows-----

Re: SVG Font Editor

bulia byak
Thanks Felipe, I added this to release notes:

http://wiki.inkscape.org/wiki/index.php/ReleaseNotes047#Initial_SVG_Fonts_support

please edit if necessary

--
bulia byak
Inkscape. Draw Freely.

Re: SVG Font Editor

alvinpenner
bulia byak wrote
Thanks Felipe, I added this to release notes:
thanks for the documentation, this should certainly whet peoples' appetites.