Quantcast

SVG Questions and Inkscape Forum

PipingDesignCentral .
Is it OK if I post an SVG-related question both at
http://www.inkscapeforum.com AND here?

Paul

Re: SVG Questions and Inkscape Forum

Chris Tooley
Hi Paul,

In general, don't ask to ask, just ask ;)

For me, I usually post in as many places as I can - but I try whatever forum/list is most populous first, wait a day or so, then continue on from there with other places.

-Chris

On Wed, Feb 15, 2017 at 10:28 AM, PipingDesignCentral . <[hidden email]> wrote:
Is it OK if I post an SVG-related question both at
http://www.inkscapeforum.com AND here?

Paul

Re: SVG Questions and Inkscape Forum

PipingDesignCentral .
Thanks!

Well, it's not actually a Inkscape question, it's really an SVG
question and I'm having trouble finding many SVG forums - any
suggestions?

I have SVG text that has an animated GIF as a background and wanted
text fill to switch to yellow when the link is clicked.

This CSS works:

.text:hover {
  fill: url(#p-animated-graphic);
  text-decoration: none;
  stroke: yellow;
  stroke-width: 1;
  stroke-opacity: 1;
  text-shadow: 5px 5px 5px #000000;
}

But this CSS doesn't:

.text:active {
  fill: yellow;
  text-decoration: none;
  stroke: #EEEEEE;
  stroke-width: 1;
  stroke-opacity: 1;
  text-shadow: 5px 5px 5px #000000;
}

Plus, something is odd with the text-stroke. Details at
http://www.inkscapeforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=31812

Webpage is http://jlrmaps.com

Paul

On Wed, Feb 15, 2017 at 2:35 PM, Chris Tooley <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Paul,
>
> In general, don't ask to ask, just ask ;)
>
> For me, I usually post in as many places as I can - but I try whatever
> forum/list is most populous first, wait a day or so, then continue on from
> there with other places.
>
> -Chris
>
> On Wed, Feb 15, 2017 at 10:28 AM, PipingDesignCentral .
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Is it OK if I post an SVG-related question both at
>> http://www.inkscapeforum.com AND here?

Re: SVG Questions and Inkscape Forum

Well, there are no official rules about it, if that's what you're asking.

Generally I find it frustrating when someone posts their support questions in
multiple places.  That's because they're getting advice from someone else, and
using that advice, and it's causing new problems, and neither we nor the other
place knows what the other is saying and suggesting.  And the user in the
middle, trying to do everything, gets confused, and it just gets to be a
nightmare.

To be honest, it's one of my pet peeves, and when I notice someone is doing it,
I tend to ignore their message.  It's really not fair, when you consider we're
volunteering our time, and from the start, there's only a 50-50 chance the
person will use the information I've provided (if they posted in 2 places; 1 in
3 chance if they post in 3 places, etc).  To me, I think, why waste my time?

I think people do it, because they think they'll have a better chance of getting
the right answer.  But for me, it usually means they won't get an answer from
me.

However, if it's just a discussion type of question, where you want to hear
different opinions about something that's more theoretical, as opposed to
"something is broken", or "how do I do this", then it doesn't cause any
problems.  So that's fine, and I don't see any conflict.

And for one last note.  If you're cross-posting in forum and mailing lists,
often you're making the same people read the message twice.  Well, probably not
very many people, since very few mailing list subscribers participate in forums.
But still a few people are reading it twice.

Until I (or hopefully I can convince more people to get on board, then we) can
convince more developers and mailing list subscribers to participate on the
forum.....if we ever do get our official forum.  Until then, generally the
reason you'd want to post on the mailing list, is if you want or need a reply
from developers and/or advanced users.  There are handful of developers and
advanced users who participate on forums, but it's usually quite sporadic.

All the above is just my opinion.

On Thu, Feb 16, 2017 at 3:52 PM, brynn <[hidden email]> wrote:

> "if we ever do get our official forum"

OK, thanks.

For some reason I thought the Inkscape forum and this mailing list was run by the same people.

Paul

Re: SVG Questions and Inkscape Forum

Brynn
Well yes, generally people from the Inkscape community run both.  But the forum
hosting is paid for out of the pocket of a single person (not a developer).  I
think it is considered to be a 3rd party forum.

That's the short story.  I'm not sure if you're interested in the long story.
But a forum managed officially by the project is in the works.  It's sort of
stalled on logistics at the moment, but still in the works.