Saving as PDF creates a very large file

12

Saving as PDF creates a very large file

Stephane Eybert
Hello,

I have a brochure in an svg file.

I tried to save it as PDF using inkscape 0.46 on Linux Kubuntu.

But the PDF file size is in the megabytes... when my svg file is very small.

How come it gets to big in PDF..?

What can I do to have a normal size PDF file..?

Cheers

Re: Saving as PDF creates a very large file

bulia byak
On Fri, Apr 18, 2008 at 5:47 AM, Stephane Eybert <[hidden email]> wrote:
>  But the PDF file size is in the megabytes... when my svg file is very small.

It is impossible to answer your question unless you provide the source svg.

--
bulia byak
Inkscape. Draw Freely.

Re: Saving as PDF creates a very large file

Stephane Eybert
I shall provide a link to the svg file this evening.

Cheers

On Fri, Apr 18, 2008 at 5:47 AM, Stephane Eybert <[hidden email]> wrote:
>  But the PDF file size is in the megabytes... when my svg file is very small.

It is impossible to answer your question unless you provide the source svg.

--
bulia byak
Inkscape. Draw Freely.
http://www.inkscape.org

Ta semester! - sök efter resor hos Yahoo! Shopping.
Jämför pris på flygbiljetter och hotellrum: http://shopping.yahoo.se/c-169901-resor-biljetter.html

Re: Saving as PDF creates a very large file

rygle
Stephane Eybert wrote
...the PDF file size is in the megabytes... when my svg file is very small.
The pdf export is not perfect, but I believe that some of the problem is with the PDF format itself. Your document probably has blurs, or gradients or similar features that are unsupported by PDF and therefore have to be rendered using bitmaps.

Rygle.

Re: Saving as PDF creates a very large file

Stephane Eybert
There are some blurs around two short sentences. But even before I put these blurs, the pdf file was already very large.

I don't think there is gradient, not that I know at least :-) I'm a beginner.

Here is the link to the svg file:

http://www.thalasoft.com/brochure_en.svg

For now it is a bit useless for I can't send it in pdf.

Hope someone will figure out why it's so large.

Cheers!

rygle wrote
Stephane Eybert wrote
...the PDF file size is in the megabytes... when my svg file is very small.
The pdf export is not perfect, but I believe that some of the problem is with the PDF format itself. Your document probably has blurs, or gradients or similar features that are unsupported by PDF and therefore have to be rendered using bitmaps.

Rygle.

Re: Saving as PDF creates a very large file

Rob Antonishen
I think it is the fonts you are using with the default convert font to
path export.

Curlz http://www.myfonts.com/fonts/agfa/curlz-mt/
and Maiandra http://www.myfonts.com/fonts/galapagos/maiandra/gd/

aren't on most systems (on mine your svg files render as ariel).

The font has a lot of information in the letters that has to be
rendered out, hence the large file size...

-Rob A>

On Fri, Apr 18, 2008 at 12:34 PM, Stephane Eybert
<[hidden email]> wrote:

>  There are some blurs around two short sentences. But even before I put these
>  blurs, the pdf file was already very large.
>
>  I don't think there is gradient, not that I know at least :-) I'm a
>  beginner.
>
>  Here is the link to the svg file:
>
>  http://www.thalasoft.com/brochure_en.svg
>
>  For now it is a bit useless for I can't send it in pdf.
>
>  Hope someone will figure out why it's so large.
>
>  Cheers!
>

>  rygle wrote:
>  >
>  >
>  > Stephane Eybert wrote:
>  >>
>  >> ...the PDF file size is in the megabytes... when my svg file is very
>  >> small.
>  >>
>  >
>  > The pdf export is not perfect, but I believe that some of the problem is
>  > with the PDF format itself. Your document probably has blurs, or gradients
>  > or similar features that are unsupported by PDF and therefore have to be
>  > rendered using bitmaps.
>  >
>  > Rygle.
>  >

Re: Saving as PDF creates a very large file

Stephane Eybert
Thanks for the tip!

I will try to use another font.

Which one do you recommend..? Arial..?

What to do with the two links you provided..?

Are they fonts I can embed in my svg file and pdf file..?

Thanks!

<[hidden email]> wrote:

>  There are some blurs around two short sentences. But even before I put these
>  blurs, the pdf file was already very large.
>
>  I don't think there is gradient, not that I know at least :-) I'm a
>  beginner.
>
>  Here is the link to the svg file:

http://www.thalasoft.com/brochure_en.svg

>  For now it is a bit useless for I can't send it in pdf.
>
>  Hope someone will figure out why it's so large.
>
>  Cheers!
>

>  rygle wrote:
>  >
>  >
>  > Stephane Eybert wrote:
>  >>
>  >> ...the PDF file size is in the megabytes... when my svg file is very
>  >> small.
>  >>
>  >
>  > The pdf export is not perfect, but I believe that some of the problem is
>  > with the PDF format itself. Your document probably has blurs, or gradients
>  > or similar features that are unsupported by PDF and therefore have to be
>  > rendered using bitmaps.
>  >
>  > Rygle.
>  >
>
>  --

Stava rätt! Stava lätt! Yahoo! Mails stavkontroll tar hand om tryckfelen och mycket mer! Få den på http://se.mail.yahoo.com

Re: Saving as PDF creates a very large file

zbharucha
Conversion to pdf is 359.5kB for me. Perfectly acceptable.

On Fri, Apr 18, 2008 at 6:22 PM, Stephane Eybert <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Thanks for the tip!
>
> I will try to use another font.
>
> Which one do you recommend..? Arial..?
>
> What to do with the two links you provided..?
>
> Are they fonts I can embed in my svg file and pdf file..?
>
> Thanks!

Mr. Shawn H. Corey
On Fri, 2008-04-18 at 17:22 +0000, Stephane Eybert wrote:

> Thanks for the tip!
>
> I will try to use another font.
>
> Which one do you recommend..? Arial..?
>
> What to do with the two links you provided..?
>
> Are they fonts I can embed in my svg file and pdf file..?
>
> Thanks!

PDF has 14 Standard Type 1 Fonts which are always available and not
loaded in the PDF file:

Times−Roman Helvetica            Courier                 Symbol
Times−Bold Helvetica−Bold            Courier−Bold        ZapfDingbats
Times−Italic Helvetica-Oblique        Courier−Oblique
Times-BoldItalic Helvetica−BoldOblique Courier−BoldOblique

The one that is closes to Arial is Helvetica.  It may or may not be
available on your machine.  And sorry, don't know where to download it.

See the PDF Reference Manual for more details:
http://www.adobe.com/devnet/pdf/pdf_reference.html

--
Just my 0.00000002 million dollars worth,
    Shawn

When I was in college, my Karate instructor said,
"The first hundred are easy."
Since then, I discovered he'd lied.
Life's too big to describe in hundreds.

Re: Saving as PDF creates a very large file

zbharucha
Just convert fonts to path and it should be fine!

On Fri, Apr 18, 2008 at 7:00 PM, Mr. Shawn H. Corey
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Fri, 2008-04-18 at 17:22 +0000, Stephane Eybert wrote:
>  > Thanks for the tip!
>  >
>  > I will try to use another font.
>  >
>  > Which one do you recommend..? Arial..?
>  >
>  > What to do with the two links you provided..?
>  >
>  > Are they fonts I can embed in my svg file and pdf file..?
>  >
>  > Thanks!
>  >
>  PDF has 14 Standard Type 1 Fonts which are always available and not
>  loaded in the PDF file:
>
>  Times−Roman      Helvetica                  Courier                 Symbol
>  Times−Bold       Helvetica−Bold             Courier−Bold        ZapfDingbats
>  Times−Italic     Helvetica-Oblique        Courier−Oblique
>  Times-BoldItalic Helvetica−BoldOblique Courier−BoldOblique
>
>  The one that is closes to Arial is Helvetica.  It may or may not be
>  available on your machine.  And sorry, don't know where to download it.
>
>  See the PDF Reference Manual for more details:
>  http://www.adobe.com/devnet/pdf/pdf_reference.html
>

>  --
>  Just my 0.00000002 million dollars worth,
>     Shawn
>
>  When I was in college, my Karate instructor said,
>  "The first hundred are easy."
>  Since then, I discovered he'd lied.
>  Life's too big to describe in hundreds.

Re: Saving as PDF creates a very large file

Rob Antonishen
With Curlz installed, I saved to pdf, converting text to path and got
510kB.  Before that, it looked like Helverica and exported at 310...

What font is in the angled text boxes in the original?  I see no font
family in the code...does that get dropped in flowed text?

-Rob A>

2008/4/18 Zubin Bharucha <[hidden email]>:

> Just convert fonts to path and it should be fine!
>

>  On Fri, Apr 18, 2008 at 7:00 PM, Mr. Shawn H. Corey
>  <[hidden email]> wrote:
>  > On Fri, 2008-04-18 at 17:22 +0000, Stephane Eybert wrote:
>  >  > Thanks for the tip!
>  >  >
>  >  > I will try to use another font.
>  >  >
>  >  > Which one do you recommend..? Arial..?
>  >  >
>  >  > What to do with the two links you provided..?
>  >  >
>  >  > Are they fonts I can embed in my svg file and pdf file..?
>  >  >
>  >  > Thanks!
>  >  >
>  >  PDF has 14 Standard Type 1 Fonts which are always available and not
>  >  loaded in the PDF file:
>  >
>  >  Times−Roman      Helvetica                  Courier                 Symbol
>  >  Times−Bold       Helvetica−Bold             Courier−Bold        ZapfDingbats
>  >  Times−Italic     Helvetica-Oblique        Courier−Oblique
>  >  Times-BoldItalic Helvetica−BoldOblique Courier−BoldOblique
>  >
>  >  The one that is closes to Arial is Helvetica.  It may or may not be
>  >  available on your machine.  And sorry, don't know where to download it.
>  >
>  >  See the PDF Reference Manual for more details:
>  >  http://www.adobe.com/devnet/pdf/pdf_reference.html
>  >
>  >
>  >
>  >  --
>  >  Just my 0.00000002 million dollars worth,
>  >     Shawn
>  >
>  >  When I was in college, my Karate instructor said,
>  >  "The first hundred are easy."
>  >  Since then, I discovered he'd lied.
>  >  Life's too big to describe in hundreds.
>  >
>  >
>  >
>  >
>  >  -------------------------------------------------------------------------
>  >  This SF.net email is sponsored by the 2008 JavaOne(SM) Conference
>  >  Don't miss this year's exciting event. There's still time to save $100.
>  >  Use priority code J8TL2D2.
>  >  http://ad.doubleclick.net/clk;198757673;13503038;p?http://java.sun.com/javaone
>  >  _______________________________________________
>  >  Inkscape-user mailing list
>  >  [hidden email]
>  >  https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/inkscape-user
>  >

Re: Saving as PDF creates a very large file

Stephane Eybert
First, I'm impressed of the help you guys provide!
That is so cool! I didn't expect such a community...

So I understand I need to convert the fonts to paths.

I googled to find out how to do that but could not see much on how to go.

I have several questions then...

1- How to do a font to path move..? Should I select the whole document and text to path its unique object, or should I degroup each text object and text to path them one by one..?

2- Can It reverse the font to path move..?

3- Can I still edit the text and change its font once I did the font to path move..?

Thanks!

Stephane

<[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Fri, 2008-04-18 at 17:22 +0000, Stephane Eybert wrote:
>  > Thanks for the tip!
>  >
>  > I will try to use another font.
>  >
>  > Which one do you recommend..? Arial..?
>  >
>  > What to do with the two links you provided..?
>  >
>  > Are they fonts I can embed in my svg file and pdf file..?
>  >
>  > Thanks!
>  >
>  PDF has 14 Standard Type 1 Fonts which are always available and not
>  loaded in the PDF file:
>
>  Times-Roman      Helvetica                  Courier                Symbol
>  Times-Bold      Helvetica-Bold            Courier-Bold        ZapfDingbats
>  Times-Italic    Helvetica-Oblique        Courier-Oblique
>  Times-BoldItalic Helvetica-BoldOblique Courier-BoldOblique
>
>  The one that is closes to Arial is Helvetica.  It may or may not be
>  available on your machine.  And sorry, don't know where to download it.
>
>  See the PDF Reference Manual for more details:
http://www.adobe.com/devnet/pdf/pdf_reference..html

>  --
>  Just my 0.00000002 million dollars worth,
>    Shawn
>
>  When I was in college, my Karate instructor said,
>  "The first hundred are easy."
>  Since then, I discovered he'd lied.
>  Life's too big to describe in hundreds.

Låna pengar utan säkerhet.
Sök och jämför hos Yahoo! Shopping.

Re: Saving as PDF creates a very large file

Stephane Eybert
So here is the results of my attempt at text to pathing...

I ungrouped all texts and did a text to path action on each selected text.

Afterwards I could not edit the texts anymore. I suppose this is normal as it was no text any longer but shapes.

I also had three texts changing colors when doing the text to path, I don't know why. These were new colors. But I can't have them in my design.

Prior to doing this text to pathing, I had saved my file under another name.

The file size of the two files stayed the same and the text to pathing did not reduce the file size.

Same for the pdf version that stayed in its large identical size.

Sorry for being slow...

Thanks

Stephane

<[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Fri, 2008-04-18 at 17:22 +0000, Stephane Eybert wrote:
>  > Thanks for the tip!
>  >
>  > I will try to use another font.
>  >
>  > Which one do you recommend..? Arial..?
>  >
>  > What to do with the two links you provided..?
>  >
>  > Are they fonts I can embed in my svg file and pdf file..?
>  >
>  > Thanks!
>  >
>  PDF has 14 Standard Type 1 Fonts which are always available and not
>  loaded in the PDF file:
>
>  Times-Roman      Helvetica                  Courier                Symbol
>  Times-Bold      Helvetica-Bold            Courier-Bold        ZapfDingbats
>  Times-Italic    Helvetica-Oblique        Courier-Oblique
>  Times-BoldItalic Helvetica-BoldOblique Courier-BoldOblique
>
>  The one that is closes to Arial is Helvetica.  It may or may not be
>  available on your machine.  And sorry, don't know where to download it.
>
>  See the PDF Reference Manual for more details:
http://www.adobe.com/devnet/pdf/pdf_reference.html

>  --
>  Just my 0.00000002 million dollars worth,
>    Shawn
>
>  When I was in college, my Karate instructor said,
>  "The first hundred are easy."
>  Since then, I discovered he'd lied.
>  Life's too big to describe in hundreds.

Sök efter kärleken!
Hitta din tvillingsjäl på Yahoo! Dejting: http://se.meetic.yahoo.net

Re: Saving as PDF creates a very large file

Stephane Eybert
I cannot see these fonts in my inkscape.

Times-Roman      Helvetica                  Courier                Symbol
Times-Bold      Helvetica-Bold            Courier-Bold        ZapfDingbats
Times-Italic    Helvetica-Oblique        Courier-Oblique
Times-BoldItalic Helvetica-BoldOblique Courier-BoldOblique

There are lots of fonts but not these above.

I have a standard install of inkscape and have not installed any additional font, I would not know how to do it anyway.

So I changed the font of almost all my texts.

But the size of the svg and the size of the pdf did not change at all.

The two files are http://www.thalasoft.com/brochure_en_new_font.svg and http://www.thalasoft.com/brochure_en_new_font.pdf

The pdf still does not display the text in the angled boxes.

I have not changed the font in the angled boxes which is still Bitstream Vera Sans.

Thanks for your support!

Stephane

On Fri, 2008-04-18 at 23:24 +0000, Stephane Eybert wrote:

> I cannot see these fonts in my inkscape.
>
> Times-Roman      Helvetica                  Courier
> Symbol
> Times-Bold      Helvetica-Bold            Courier-Bold
> ZapfDingbats
> Times-Italic    Helvetica-Oblique        Courier-Oblique
> Times-BoldItalic Helvetica-BoldOblique Courier-BoldOblique
>
> There are lots of fonts but not these above.

Sorry, these are the standard fonts that are available in PDF.  That is
a flaw in Inkscape:  if they have an export as PDF, then they should
also have the PDF standard fonts available.

--
Just my 0.00000002 million dollars worth,
    Shawn

When I was in college, my Karate instructor said,
"The first hundred are easy."
Since then, I discovered he'd lied.
Life's too big to describe in hundreds.

Re: Saving as PDF creates a very large file

Stephane Eybert
Okay. Then how to get these fonts into inkscape..?

They must be bought somewhere and install..?

Isn't there any font in inkscape that is present by default in pdf..?

Thanks

On Fri, 2008-04-18 at 23:24 +0000, Stephane Eybert wrote:

> I cannot see these fonts in my inkscape.
>
> Times-Roman      Helvetica                  Courier
> Symbol
> Times-Bold      Helvetica-Bold            Courier-Bold
> ZapfDingbats
> Times-Italic    Helvetica-Oblique        Courier-Oblique
> Times-BoldItalic Helvetica-BoldOblique Courier-BoldOblique
>
> There are lots of fonts but not these above.

Sorry, these are the standard fonts that are available in PDF.  That is
a flaw in Inkscape:  if they have an export as PDF, then they should
also have the PDF standard fonts available.

--
Just my 0.00000002 million dollars worth,
    Shawn

When I was in college, my Karate instructor said,
"The first hundred are easy."
Since then, I discovered he'd lied.
Life's too big to describe in hundreds.

Går det långsamt? Skaffa dig en snabbare bredbandsuppkoppling.
Sök och jämför hos Yahoo! Shopping.

Re: Saving as PDF creates a very large file

Stephane Eybert
Sorry, I think some of my replies got lost. I probably replied to the no-reply@ email address...

Anyway, the new versions of the svg file, the one with the replaced fonts, is here

http://www.thalasoft.com/brochure_en_new_font.svg

and its pdf is here

http://www.thalasoft.com/brochure_en_new_font.pdf

Thanks!

bulia byak wrote
On Fri, Apr 18, 2008 at 5:47 AM, Stephane Eybert <mittiprovence@yahoo.se> wrote:
>  But the PDF file size is in the megabytes... when my svg file is very small.

It is impossible to answer your question unless you provide the source svg.

--
bulia byak
Inkscape. Draw Freely.
http://www.inkscape.org

Re: Saving as PDF creates a very large file

Adrian Johnson
Stephane Eybert wrote:

> Sorry, I think some of my replies got lost. I probably replied to the
> no-reply@ email address...
>
> Anyway, the new versions of the svg file, the one with the replaced fonts,
> is here
>
> http://www.thalasoft.com/brochure_en_new_font.svg
>
> and its pdf is here
>
> http://www.thalasoft.com/brochure_en_new_font.pdf
>
> Thanks!

I opened your PDF file in Adobe Reader, selected the File->Properties
menu. On the Description tab I can see the PDF was created with Inkscape
0.45.1. If you create the PDF with Inkscape 0.46 and ensure you have a
1.6.0 or later version of the cairo library installed, you will get a
much smaller PDF. I created a 128KB PDF from your SVG.

Re: Saving as PDF creates a very large file

Stephane Eybert
Thanks Adrian! I'll try that!

Adrian Johnson wrote

Stephane Eybert wrote:

> Okay. Then how to get these fonts into inkscape..?
>
> They must be bought somewhere and install..?
>
> Isn't there any font in inkscape that is present by default in pdf..?
>
> Thanks

The cairo PDF exporter in Inkscape 0.46 does not support creating PDF
files that uses, but does not embed, the 14 standard PostScript fonts.
Cairo subsets the fonts it embeds so the embedded fonts do not take up
much space. The standard fonts feature has been deprecated since PDF 1.5
and it is now recommended that all fonts used in the PDF are embdeded.

If you are having problems with large PDF files sizes I recommend
ensuring that Inkscape is using version 1.6 or later of cairo and the
"Convert text to paths" option is not set.

12