September Hackfest in Kiel, Germany

Maren Hachmann
Hi Developers and Community Members,

we are currently planning to have an Inkscape hackfest in Kiel, in
Northern Germany.

It was suggested it could take place this year's autumn/fall already,
and I was able to reserve a conference room in a startup center close to
the city's university for early September, from Sun, 2018-09-09 until
Thu, 2018-09-13.

This will be during the 'Digitale Woche Kiel', a city-wide event week
that aims to introduce people to IT and technology, and just before the
'Kieler Open Source und Linux Tage', a local conference with workshops,
talks and an exhibition about Linux and Open Source software.

The Inkscape Board has not voted on funding of the event yet.

Details about the proposed Hackfest can be found at:

http://wiki.inkscape.org/wiki/index.php/Hackfest2018_Kiel

If you are interested in attending the Hackfest in Kiel in September,
please add your name to the list at:

http://wiki.inkscape.org/wiki/index.php/Hackfest2018_Kiel_Attendees

Please also add any topic that you would be interested to discuss during
the Hackfest, or that you would like to suggest for discussion, here:

http://wiki.inkscape.org/wiki/index.php/Hackfest2018_Kiel_Topics

Kind Regards,

Re: September Hackfest in Kiel, Germany

doctormo
Hi Maren,

This looks great and I'm going to try and make plans to join this
hackfest.

One thing we forgot to do for the Boston hackfest was to budget some
money for snacks and a lunch I put together. If you've got any plans to
do anything like that, we should add it into the vote early enough so
your expenses locally can be covered too.

Best Regards, Martin Owens

Am 30.05.2018 um 03:31 schrieb Martin Owens:
> Hi Maren,
>
> This looks great and I'm going to try and make plans to join this
> hackfest.

- That would be awesome!

> One thing we forgot to do for the Boston hackfest was to budget some
> money for snacks and a lunch I put together. If you've got any plans to
> do anything like that, we should add it into the vote early enough so
> your expenses locally can be covered too.

- I don't expect to cook (because I won't have time for that, and
because I'm not living directly in Kiel) - but yes, providing some
snacks/beverages is certainly something I would like to do.
The Kitz also offers catering, but I think that would be more expensive
than just going to Aldi or Lidl and finding something tasty.

However, to estimate how much that would be, I need to at least roughly
know how many people will join.

Currently, we'd be up to four (Eduard would like to come, but may or may
not be able to).

I would like to extend the invitation to the Gimp, Scribus and Krita
projects, and ask if they would like to send someone to discuss common
topics with Inkscape devs (and to ask if they'd also like to represent
their project in a booth at Kielux) - maybe just for the last 1 or 2
days of the hackfest (plus Kielux, after that, maybe).

Does anyone have suggestions for common topics that would be worth
exploring together (so they could decide who could be interested in
talking about those topics)?

> On Wed, 2018-05-30 at 03:16 +0200, Maren Hachmann wrote:
>> Hi Developers and Community Members,
>>
>> we are currently planning to have an Inkscape hackfest in Kiel, in
>> Northern Germany.
>>
>> It was suggested it could take place this year's autumn/fall already,
>> and I was able to reserve a conference room in a startup center close
>> the city's university for early September, from Sun, 2018-09-09 until
>> Thu, 2018-09-13.
>>
>> This will be during the 'Digitale Woche Kiel', a city-wide event week
>> that aims to introduce people to IT and technology, and just before
>> the
>> 'Kieler Open Source und Linux Tage', a local conference with
>> workshops,
>> talks and an exhibition about Linux and Open Source software.
>>
>> The Inkscape Board has not voted on funding of the event yet.
>>
>> Details about the proposed Hackfest can be found at:
>>
>> http://wiki.inkscape.org/wiki/index.php/Hackfest2018_Kiel
>>
>> If you are interested in attending the Hackfest in Kiel in September,
>> please add your name to the list at:
>>
>> http://wiki.inkscape.org/wiki/index.php/Hackfest2018_Kiel_Attendees
>>
>> Please also add any topic that you would be interested to discuss
>> during
>> the Hackfest, or that you would like to suggest for discussion, here:
>>
>> http://wiki.inkscape.org/wiki/index.php/Hackfest2018_Kiel_Topics
>>
>> Kind Regards,
>>  Maren

Re: September Hackfest in Kiel, Germany

Bryce Harrington-3
On Thu, May 31, 2018 at 01:40:53AM +0200, Maren Hachmann wrote:

> Am 30.05.2018 um 03:31 schrieb Martin Owens:
> > Hi Maren,
> >
> > This looks great and I'm going to try and make plans to join this
> > hackfest.
>
> - That would be awesome!
>
> > One thing we forgot to do for the Boston hackfest was to budget some
> > money for snacks and a lunch I put together. If you've got any plans to
> > do anything like that, we should add it into the vote early enough so
> > your expenses locally can be covered too.
>
> - I don't expect to cook (because I won't have time for that, and
> because I'm not living directly in Kiel) - but yes, providing some
> snacks/beverages is certainly something I would like to do.
> The Kitz also offers catering, but I think that would be more expensive
> than just going to Aldi or Lidl and finding something tasty.
>
> However, to estimate how much that would be, I need to at least roughly
> know how many people will join.
>
> Currently, we'd be up to four (Eduard would like to come, but may or may
> not be able to).
>
> I would like to extend the invitation to the Gimp, Scribus and Krita
> projects, and ask if they would like to send someone to discuss common
> topics with Inkscape devs (and to ask if they'd also like to represent
> their project in a booth at Kielux) - maybe just for the last 1 or 2
> days of the hackfest (plus Kielux, after that, maybe).
>
> Does anyone have suggestions for common topics that would be worth
> exploring together (so they could decide who could be interested in
> talking about those topics)?

For finishing the 1.0 release, solidifying our translation support is
going to be important, and given the timing of the event, it's location,
and your involvement, this seems like a natural topic.  In that light I
think that invitations to people involved in those areas would be
valuable.  Are there universities nearby with students who have
backgrounds in other languages that might have an interest in helping
Inkscape?  Or are there important languages not well covered currently,
that would be worth sponsoring a someone from that country to attend?

Testing and release notice writing would be other obvious topics with
high relevance to the 1.0 release, that would be nice to see included in
the agenda.

Bryce

Am 01.06.2018 um 03:42 schrieb Bryce Harrington:
> On Thu, May 31, 2018 at 01:40:53AM +0200, Maren Hachmann wrote:
>> Am 30.05.2018 um 03:31 schrieb Martin Owens:
>>> Hi Maren,

> For finishing the 1.0 release, solidifying our translation support is
> going to be important, and given the timing of the event, it's location,
> and your involvement, this seems like a natural topic.  In that light I
> think that invitations to people involved in those areas would be
> valuable.  Are there universities nearby with students who have
> backgrounds in other languages that might have an interest in helping
> Inkscape?  Or are there important languages not well covered currently,
> that would be worth sponsoring a someone from that country to attend?

- With Martin's help, I've compared our translation coverage with the
numbers for our user base (roughly deducted from website visitor
countries).

While it's certainly not an exact result, it looks like the largest
mismatch between amount of users / available translations is Spanish
(Inkscape interface (master): 81.4 % of strings translated, website:
barely translated at all - but it looks like it's the second largest
user group, together with German speakers).

And while we have an active user base in Brazil (5th largest website
visitors group), the interface is only translated at a meager 48% for
Brazilian Portuguese. Indonesian users seem very active, but mostly
among themselves (not very many website visitors (11th place), but very
active via social media) - and the interface is only translated by 51%
(website: nothing, language doesn't exist).

Given the distances these people would need to travel, I'd suggest doing
this remotely... Except maybe for Spanish. University is close, yes, but
it's semester break, many will be off working, and it's going to be hard
finding someone, given that they don't visit uni, and that it requires
some knowledge in graphics language, to not confuse users more than
helping them.

Jabier once asked a friend for help with website translations, I think.
Maybe they'd like to travel together.

Currently, if everyone who said they'd be interested in attending were
able to come, we'd be at 11 persons (Jabier, Mc, doctormo, Alex, CR,
Mihaela, Jürgen Weigert (extension developer, maker), Thomas Holder
(speleo3, long-time Inkscaper who just returned from a longer break),
Tav, Eduard, and myself). Except for Tav and myself, they all don't know
yet if they will be able to attend for various, mostly work-related,
reasons. 5 invitations I sent out are still unanswered.

> Testing and release notice writing would be other obvious topics with
> high relevance to the 1.0 release, that would be nice to see included in
> the agenda.

- Those would be good tasks, I agree. Thank you!

(Tbh. I'm not sure how many of those I'll actually be able to work on -
after all, I'll be co-organizing three events during that week.)

Maren

> Bryce
>
>>> Best Regards, Martin Owens

Re: September Hackfest in Kiel, Germany

Jabier Arraiza
> Jabier once asked a friend for help with website translations, I
> think.
> Maybe they'd like to travel together.

I could ask but is from south america too far away and still waiting
his works :(

September Hackfest in Kiel, Germany

Maren Hachmann
Ah, so many Inkscape users in South America :)

If you know anyone locally who might be able to help, don't hesitate to
invite them :)

Else, we can try to do a call for action on social media/website, also
for working remotely.

Maren

On Wed, Jun 06, 2018 at 02:27:59AM +0200, Maren Hachmann wrote:

> Am 01.06.2018 um 03:42 schrieb Bryce Harrington:

> > For finishing the 1.0 release, solidifying our translation support is
> > going to be important, and given the timing of the event, it's location,
> > and your involvement, this seems like a natural topic.  In that light I
> > think that invitations to people involved in those areas would be
> > valuable.  Are there universities nearby with students who have
> > backgrounds in other languages that might have an interest in helping
> > Inkscape?  Or are there important languages not well covered currently,
> > that would be worth sponsoring a someone from that country to attend?
>
> - With Martin's help, I've compared our translation coverage with the
> numbers for our user base (roughly deducted from website visitor
> countries).
>
> While it's certainly not an exact result, it looks like the largest
> mismatch between amount of users / available translations is Spanish
> (Inkscape interface (master): 81.4 % of strings translated, website:
> barely translated at all - but it looks like it's the second largest
> user group, together with German speakers).
>
> And while we have an active user base in Brazil (5th largest website
> visitors group), the interface is only translated at a meager 48% for
> Brazilian Portuguese. Indonesian users seem very active, but mostly
> among themselves (not very many website visitors (11th place), but very
> active via social media) - and the interface is only translated by 51%
> (website: nothing, language doesn't exist).
>
> Given the distances these people would need to travel, I'd suggest doing
> this remotely... Except maybe for Spanish. University is close, yes, but
> it's semester break, many will be off working, and it's going to be hard
> finding someone, given that they don't visit uni, and that it requires
> some knowledge in graphics language, to not confuse users more than
> helping them.
>
> Jabier once asked a friend for help with website translations, I think.
> Maybe they'd like to travel together.
>
> Currently, if everyone who said they'd be interested in attending were
> able to come, we'd be at 11 persons (Jabier, Mc, doctormo, Alex, CR,
> Mihaela, Jürgen Weigert (extension developer, maker), Thomas Holder
> (speleo3, long-time Inkscaper who just returned from a longer break),
> Tav, Eduard, and myself). Except for Tav and myself, they all don't know
> yet if they will be able to attend for various, mostly work-related,
> reasons. 5 invitations I sent out are still unanswered.

Ok, thanks for thinking about it.  Perhaps when we're further along if
we are short on attendees we can revisit.

I appreciate your looking at the data for what languages would be
priorities.  It seems that getting the Spanish and Indonesian
translations to 100% would be a valuable achievement, and I wonder what
the board could do to help facilitate / stimulate that.

Bryce