Setting a drawing's scale

Steve Litt
Hi all,

I want to make a drawing of part of the electrical wiring in my back
yard. I have everything measured in feet. I'd love to find a way to
have the grid in feet, where about 22 feet covers the whole drawing.
I'd love to have the length of line segments articulated in feet, even
though my drawing's only 11x8.5.

Is there a way to set the scale such that everything's reported in feet?

Thanks,

SteveT

Steve Litt
November 2019 featured book: Manager's Guide to Technical
Troubleshooting Second edition
http://www.troubleshooters.com/mgr

Re: Setting a drawing's scale

C R
Probably the easiest way to do what you want is to go to File > Document Properties, and in the Page tab, set both display units and custom size units to inches (in)

Then choose Edit > Preferences and under the "grids" section set units to inches, spacing to 1, and major grid line every 12
Change the colour of major grid line colour to red

Now open a new file to see your grid preferences applied to the grid.

Draw a rectangle, setting the units from mm to inches, enter 22*12 in the height and width to get the number of inches. This rectangle represents your diagram.

Now to make a version of your drawing to fit nicely in an 8.5 x 11in, draw one off to the side, and with it selected hit ctrl+shift+r to resize the document to that rectangle.

Now select your large rectangle and group it with ctrl+g or object > group.

Make a clone of the group with alt + D (or Edit > Clone > Create Clone)

Move the clone down the the size you want it on your page.

Now you can work inside that group at full scale, and all changes will be reflected in the clone on your page.

When you export to pdf for printing, the page size will then be correct.

Hope it helps!
-C

On Mon, 25 Nov 2019, 00:45 Steve Litt, <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi all,

I want to make a drawing of part of the electrical wiring in my back
yard. I have everything measured in feet. I'd love to find a way to
have the grid in feet, where about 22 feet covers the whole drawing.
I'd love to have the length of line segments articulated in feet, even
though my drawing's only 11x8.5.

Is there a way to set the scale such that everything's reported in feet?

Thanks,

SteveT

Steve Litt
November 2019 featured book: Manager's Guide to Technical
Troubleshooting Second edition
http://www.troubleshooters.com/mgr

Re: Setting a drawing's scale

Mark T-2
Fun fact I learnt from a documentary recently is that the US measurement 'authority' defines the Inch as units of centimetres!
Away from laptop here so cannot test.
Can you build a grid ‎using 0.3048 m as a foot?

MarkT

Re: Setting a drawing's scale

Steve Litt
Thanks C R,

It turned out I did something similar to your recommendation, and ended
up having one centimeter represent a foot. It worked well: Thank you!

I have another thought on this measuring stuff, but I'll make it in a
different email.

Thanks,

SteveT

Steve Litt
November 2019 featured book: Manager's Guide to Technical
Troubleshooting Second edition
http://www.troubleshooters.com/mgr

On Mon, 25 Nov 2019 13:43:34 +0000
C R <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Probably the easiest way to do what you want is to go to File >
> Document Properties, and in the Page tab, set both display units and
> custom size units to inches (in)
>
> Then choose Edit > Preferences and under the "grids" section set
> units to inches, spacing to 1, and major grid line every 12
> Change the colour of major grid line colour to red
>
> Now open a new file to see your grid preferences applied to the grid.
>
> Draw a rectangle, setting the units from mm to inches, enter 22*12 in
> the height and width to get the number of inches. This rectangle
> represents your diagram.
>
> Now to make a version of your drawing to fit nicely in an 8.5 x 11in,
> draw one off to the side, and with it selected hit ctrl+shift+r to
> resize the document to that rectangle.
>
> Now select your large rectangle and group it with ctrl+g or object >
> group.
>
> Make a clone of the group with alt + D (or Edit > Clone > Create
> Clone)
>
> Move the clone down the the size you want it on your page.
>
> Now you can work inside that group at full scale, and all changes
> will be reflected in the clone on your page.
>
> When you export to pdf for printing, the page size will then be
> correct.
>
> Hope it helps!
> -C
>

> On Mon, 25 Nov 2019, 00:45 Steve Litt, <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I want to make a drawing of part of the electrical wiring in my back
> > yard. I have everything measured in feet. I'd love to find a way to
> > have the grid in feet, where about 22 feet covers the whole drawing.
> > I'd love to have the length of line segments articulated in feet,
> > even though my drawing's only 11x8.5.
> >
> > Is there a way to set the scale such that everything's reported in
> > feet?
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > SteveT
> >
> > Steve Litt
> > November 2019 featured book: Manager's Guide to Technical
> > Troubleshooting Second edition
> > http://www.troubleshooters.com/mgr

Re: Setting a drawing's scale

Maren Hachmann
Btw., it's possible to add one's own units to units.xml in the /share/ui
folder in the Inkscape installation.

Maren

Am 26.11.19 um 03:36 schrieb Steve Litt:

> Thanks C R,
>
> It turned out I did something similar to your recommendation, and ended
> up having one centimeter represent a foot. It worked well: Thank you!
>
> I have another thought on this measuring stuff, but I'll make it in a
> different email.
>
> Thanks,
>
> SteveT
>
> Steve Litt
> November 2019 featured book: Manager's Guide to Technical
> Troubleshooting Second edition
> http://www.troubleshooters.com/mgr
>

> On Mon, 25 Nov 2019 13:43:34 +0000
> C R <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Probably the easiest way to do what you want is to go to File >
>> Document Properties, and in the Page tab, set both display units and
>> custom size units to inches (in)
>>
>> Then choose Edit > Preferences and under the "grids" section set
>> units to inches, spacing to 1, and major grid line every 12
>> Change the colour of major grid line colour to red
>>
>> Now open a new file to see your grid preferences applied to the grid.
>>
>> Draw a rectangle, setting the units from mm to inches, enter 22*12 in
>> the height and width to get the number of inches. This rectangle
>> represents your diagram.
>>
>> Now to make a version of your drawing to fit nicely in an 8.5 x 11in,
>> draw one off to the side, and with it selected hit ctrl+shift+r to
>> resize the document to that rectangle.
>>
>> Now select your large rectangle and group it with ctrl+g or object >
>> group.
>>
>> Make a clone of the group with alt + D (or Edit > Clone > Create
>> Clone)
>>
>> Move the clone down the the size you want it on your page.
>>
>> Now you can work inside that group at full scale, and all changes
>> will be reflected in the clone on your page.
>>
>> When you export to pdf for printing, the page size will then be
>> correct.
>>
>> Hope it helps!
>> -C
>>

>> On Mon, 25 Nov 2019, 00:45 Steve Litt, <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> I want to make a drawing of part of the electrical wiring in my back
>>> yard. I have everything measured in feet. I'd love to find a way to
>>> have the grid in feet, where about 22 feet covers the whole drawing.
>>> I'd love to have the length of line segments articulated in feet,
>>> even though my drawing's only 11x8.5.
>>>
>>> Is there a way to set the scale such that everything's reported in
>>> feet?
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>>
>>> SteveT
>>>
>>> Steve Litt
>>> November 2019 featured book: Manager's Guide to Technical
>>> Troubleshooting Second edition
>>> http://www.troubleshooters.com/mgr

Re: Setting a drawing's scale

C R
Oh excellent tip, Maren. Thanks! Might be worth adding ft and m to the defaults.

On Tue, 26 Nov 2019, 12:28 Maren Hachmann, <[hidden email]> wrote:
> [...]

>> correct.
>>
>> Hope it helps!
>> -C
>>

>> On Mon, 25 Nov 2019, 00:45 Steve Litt, <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> I want to make a drawing of part of the electrical wiring in my back
>>> yard. I have everything measured in feet. I'd love to find a way to
>>> have the grid in feet, where about 22 feet covers the whole drawing.
>>> I'd love to have the length of line segments articulated in feet,
>>> even though my drawing's only 11x8.5.
>>>
>>> Is there a way to set the scale such that everything's reported in
>>> feet?
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>>
>>> SteveT
>>>
>>> Steve Litt
>>> November 2019 featured book: Manager's Guide to Technical

These were not added intentionally, as far as I know.
But you could make a custom one and put that on the website for others
to download.

Maren