Should inkscape take over libcroco?

Daniel Macks
I just received a fairly surly reponse to a libcroco bug on bugzilla.gnome. Apparently the upstream is so inactive that gnome doesn't want to see bugs about it. Inkscape appears to be a major user of this library and (last I knew) had some unmerged (or at least unreleased) patches for it. Might be worthwhile for an inkscape dev to get developer access to the project on gnome to keep it alive. Bonus: could actually use it as an external dependency instead of needing bundled source?

dan

 --
Daniel Macks

Re: Should inkscape take over libcroco?

Jasper van de Gronde
On 2010-12-17 14:48, Daniel Macks wrote:
> I just received a fairly surly reponse to a libcroco bug on bugzilla.gnome.
 > Apparently the upstream is so inactive that gnome doesn't want to see
bugs
 > about it. Inkscape appears to be a major user of this library and
 > (last I knew) had some unmerged (or at least unreleased) patches for it.
 > Might be worthwhile for an inkscape dev to get developer access to
 > the project on gnome to keep it alive. Bonus: could actually use it
 > as an external dependency instead of needing bundled source?

This makes me wonder what other people are using? I couldn't find that
many alternatives with a quick Google search.

Re: Should inkscape take over libcroco?

Josh Andler
On Fri, Dec 17, 2010 at 6:11 AM, Jasper van de Gronde
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 2010-12-17 14:48, Daniel Macks wrote:
>> I just received a fairly surly reponse to a libcroco bug on bugzilla.gnome.
>  > Apparently the upstream is so inactive that gnome doesn't want to see
> bugs
>  > about it. Inkscape appears to be a major user of this library and
>  > (last I knew) had some unmerged (or at least unreleased) patches for it.
>  > Might be worthwhile for an inkscape dev to get developer access to
>  > the project on gnome to keep it alive. Bonus: could actually use it
>  > as an external dependency instead of needing bundled source?
>
> This makes me wonder what other people are using? I couldn't find that
> many alternatives with a quick Google search.

It's a great question because I spent the better part of an evening
trying to find this same answer and really didn't turn much up.

Cheers,
Josh

Re: Should inkscape take over libcroco?

Krzysztof Kosiński
2010/12/17 Jasper van de Gronde <[hidden email]>:
> This makes me wonder what other people are using? I couldn't find that
> many alternatives with a quick Google search.

I think they might not be using any library,  only a parser generated
from the grammar published by W3C.

There's also htmlcxx, but this includes some HTML-related code and is
only slightly less moribund than croco, and for Python there's
cssutils.
http://sourceforge.net/projects/htmlcxx/
http://cthedot.de/cssutils/

Regards, Krzysztof

Re: Should inkscape take over libcroco?

Leo Jackson
Jasper, Josh,

By all means I think that is the best course of action. The library is used by us, and if
noone is maintaining it lets ask to take it over.

Regards,
Leo Albert Jackson Jr

<th.v.d.gronde@...> wrote:

> On 2010-12-17 14:48, Daniel Macks wrote:
>> I just received a fairly surly reponse to a libcroco bug on bugzilla.gnome.
>  > Apparently the upstream is so inactive that gnome doesn't want to see
> bugs
>  > about it. Inkscape appears to be a major user of this library and
>  > (last I knew) had some unmerged (or at least unreleased) patches for it.
>  > Might be worthwhile for an inkscape dev to get developer access to
>  > the project on gnome to keep it alive. Bonus: could actually use it
>  > as an external dependency instead of needing bundled source?
>
> This makes me wonder what other people are using? I couldn't find that
> many alternatives with a quick Google search.

It's a great question because I spent the better part of an evening
trying to find this same answer and really didn't turn much up.

Cheers,
Josh

Re: Should inkscape take over libcroco?

Chris Lilley
On Friday, December 17, 2010, 3:11:22 PM, Jasper wrote:

JvdG> On 2010-12-17 14:48, Daniel Macks wrote:
>> I just received a fairly surly reponse to a libcroco bug on bugzilla.gnome.
 >> Apparently the upstream is so inactive that gnome doesn't want to see
JvdG> bugs
 >> about it. Inkscape appears to be a major user of this library and
 >> (last I knew) had some unmerged (or at least unreleased) patches for it.
 >> Might be worthwhile for an inkscape dev to get developer access to
 >> the project on gnome to keep it alive. Bonus: could actually use it
 >> as an external dependency instead of needing bundled source?

JvdG> This makes me wonder what other people are using? I couldn't find that
JvdG> many alternatives with a quick Google search.

I'm aware of a few CSS parsers, mostly old/bitrotted:

Steady State CSS2 Parser
Java
http://cssparser.sourceforge.net/
Last Modified: 2004/11/29

CSSTidy includes a parser
C++ and PHP
http://csstidy.sourceforge.net/
Latest news: July 19, 2007

ruby-css-parser
Ruby
http://code.google.com/p/ruby-css-parser/
Latest release: Jun 2008

W3C CSS Validator has a parser
Java
http://jigsaw.w3.org/css-validator/DOWNLOAD.html
http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/2002/css-validator/org/w3c/css/parser/
Lastmod: Jan 5 13:49:33 2010

--
 Chris Lilley   Technical Director, Interaction Domain
 Co-Chair, W3C Hypertext CG