[SoC] Applicant for the canvas widget proposal

[SoC] Applicant for the canvas widget proposal

Emanuele Aina

Hello!

I'm interested to work on the proposal to separate the SVG canvas widget
from the rest of the program.

To submit the application to Google I'm asked the description of the
project and I have just sent the text from the wiki. It's ok?

> Break out the canvas to a widget
>
> * Create a GTK SVG canvas widget based off SPCanvas, to allow other
>   projects to easily make use of an SVG canvas.

I don't know if I'm going to complete the project, but it's worth trying.

What should I do to have my application approved? (I've cc'ed John
Cliff, as it seems to be the mentor for the project :)

--
Buongiorno.
Complimenti per l'ottima scelta.

Re: [SoC] Applicant for the canvas widget proposal

Bryce Harrington
On Mon, Jun 06, 2005 at 08:28:18PM +0200, Emanuele Aina wrote:

> Hello!
>
> I'm interested to work on the proposal to separate the SVG canvas widget
> from the rest of the program.
>
> To submit the application to Google I'm asked the description of the
> project and I have just sent the text from the wiki. It's ok?

You should expand on what we've written, to explain in more detail how
you plan to go about doing it, why you're qualified to do it, and the
research you've done to understand the task.  On the Google
administrator's list it was mentioned that applications that only
include a couple sentence description are not considered good
proposals.

It's also reported that Google has received 2500 applications so far.
I think they're only accepting a few hundred, so it's going to be pretty
competitive.

Re: [SoC] Applicant for the canvas widget proposal

Emanuele Aina
Bryce Harrington spiegò:

>>To submit the application to Google I'm asked the description of the
>>project and I have just sent the text from the wiki. It's ok?
>
> You should expand on what we've written, to explain in more detail how
> you plan to go about doing it, why you're qualified to do it, and the
> research you've done to understand the task.  On the Google
> administrator's list it was mentioned that applications that only
> include a couple sentence description are not considered good
> proposals.

This is the proposal: i'd be glad if anyone would proof-read it, just to
check my english... :)

Emanuele Aina <[hidden email]>

Inkscape: Break out the canvas to a widget

Create a GTK SVG canvas widget based off SPCanvas, to allow other
projects to easily make use of an SVG canvas.

Currently the widget used in Inkscape to display the SVG document is
very tied to the editor, and cannot be used indipendently by other
applications.

The focus of this project is on the extrapolation of this canvas widget
in a separate loadable library, eliminating the need of the entire
Inkscape codebase to use it.

This will provide to the open source community a fully functional canvas
widget with SVG semantics, making it easier to reuse and embed in
external applications.

As Inkscape provide a simple SVG viewer, Inkview, the first target of
the project will be to provide a widget for it.
When this will be functional the widget is going to be also integrated
in the main editor.

Right now I've set up a simple autotool'ed package to host the new
library, but I'm going to start working seriously on this project at
the beginning of July, because June is still exams period here.

My name is Emanuele Aina and I'm a student at the Politecnico di Torino,
Turin, Italy.
I've already worked on some open source projects, writing some years ago
the run-parts applet for busybox (http://busybox.net),
writing with the current Gedit mantainer an experimental system for the
spell checking in GNOME (not yet released), and implementing a new
generic syntax highlighting engine for GtkSourceView (temporarly hosted
on the CVS of GtkSourceView on SourceForge, awaiting for a merge in the
CVS HEAD).

Buongiorno.
Complimenti per l'ottima scelta.

Re: [SoC] Applicant for the canvas widget proposal

Lee Braiden-2
Hi Emanuele,

Since I don't know the Inkscape code very well at all, these are mostly
grammatical comments.  Hopefully they'll help a little though.  I'm currently
struggling to learn Esperanto (one of the simplest languages), so don't take
my comments on your excellent English too harshly ;)

On Wednesday 08 Jun 2005 11:33, Emanuele Aina wrote:

> This is the proposal: i'd be glad if anyone would proof-read it, just to
> check my english... :)

> Emanuele Aina <[hidden email]>
>
> Inkscape: Break out the canvas to a widget
>
> Create a GTK SVG canvas widget based off SPCanvas, to allow other
> projects to easily make use of an SVG canvas.
>
> Currently the widget used in Inkscape to display the SVG document is
> very tied to the editor, and cannot be used indipendently by other
"is tightly bound to the editor" might be a little better.
also, "independently"
> applications.

> The focus of this project is on the extrapolation of this canvas widget
> in a separate loadable library, eliminating the need of the entire
"to a seperate..."
I would probably write "library module", just to emphasise that you're
modularising code, which is always a good thing in its own right :)
> Inkscape codebase to use it.

> This will provide to the open source community a fully functional canvas
> widget with SVG semantics, making it easier to reuse and embed in
> external applications.
>
> As Inkscape provide a simple SVG viewer, Inkview, the first target of
> the project will be to provide a widget for it.
> When this will be functional the widget is going to be also integrated
> in the main editor.

If you mention these as actual deliverables, it may make investors more
willing to put money into it.  So, something like  "The project will provide,
in two seperate stages: a) ... b) ...")

> Right now I've set up a simple autotool'ed package to host the new
> library, but I'm going to start working seriously on this project at
> the beginning of July, because June is still exams period here.
>
> My name is Emanuele Aina and I'm a student at the Politecnico di Torino,
> Turin, Italy.
> I've already worked on some open source projects, writing some years ago
> the run-parts applet for busybox (http://busybox.net),
> writing with the current Gedit mantainer an experimental system for the
> spell checking in GNOME (not yet released), and implementing a new
> generic syntax highlighting engine for GtkSourceView (temporarly hosted
> on the CVS of GtkSourceView on SourceForge, awaiting for a merge in the
> CVS HEAD).

I'm not sure if Google are aiming to attract *new* people to FLOSS development
with this SoC thing.  If you can find that out, it may help you to know
whether it's a good idea to include that previous experience.  But, of
course, experience would hopefully always be considered a good thing.

Good luck!!

--
Lee Braiden
http://www.DigitalUnleashed.com

Re: [SoC] Applicant for the canvas widget proposal

Nicu Buculei (OCAL)
Lee Braiden wrote:

>>Emanuele Aina <[hidden email]>
>>
>>The focus of this project is on the extrapolation of this canvas widget
>>in a separate loadable library, eliminating the need of the entire
>
> "to a seperate..."

to correct your correction, here obviously is "to a separate" :D

--
nicu

On Wednesday 08 Jun 2005 12:09, Nicu Buculei wrote:
> Lee Braiden wrote:
> > "to a seperate..."
>
> to correct your correction, here obviously is "to a separate" :D

I *knew* I should've checked with dictionary on that one.  I'm forgetting so
much since I left school.  Thanks :)

--
Lee Braiden
http://www.DigitalUnleashed.com

Re: [SoC] Applicant for the canvas widget proposal

Emanuele Aina
Lee Braiden revisionò:

>>Currently the widget used in Inkscape to display the SVG document is
>>very tied to the editor, and cannot be used indipendently by other
>
> "is tightly bound to the editor" might be a little better.
> also, "independently"

Ok.

>>The focus of this project is on the extrapolation of this canvas widget
>>in a separate loadable library, eliminating the need of the entire
>
> "to a seperate..."
> I would probably write "library module", just to emphasise that you're
> modularising code, which is always a good thing in its own right :)

Ok.

>>As Inkscape provide a simple SVG viewer, Inkview, the first target of
>>the project will be to provide a widget for it.
>>When this will be functional the widget is going to be also integrated
>>in the main editor.
>
> If you mention these as actual deliverables, it may make investors more
> willing to put money into it.  So, something like  "The project will provide,
> in two seperate stages: a) ... b) ...")

My try:

> The project aims to provide, in two separate stages:
> a) support for the simple SVG viewer included in Inkscape, Inkview
> b) support for the main Inkscape editor

Thank you very much for checking my English! :)

This is the result:

Emanuele Aina <[hidden email]>

Inkscape: Break out the canvas to a widget

Create a GTK SVG canvas widget based off SPCanvas, to allow other
projects to easily make use of an SVG canvas.

Currently the widget used in Inkscape to display the SVG document is
tightly bound to the editor, and cannot be used independently by other
applications.

The focus of this project is on the extrapolation of this canvas widget
in a seperate library module, eliminating the need of the entire

On Wed, Jun 08, 2005 at 11:51:23AM +0100, Lee Braiden wrote:

> > My name is Emanuele Aina and I'm a student at the Politecnico di Torino,
> > Turin, Italy.
> > I've already worked on some open source projects, writing some years ago
> > the run-parts applet for busybox (http://busybox.net),
> > writing with the current Gedit mantainer an experimental system for the
> > spell checking in GNOME (not yet released), and implementing a new
> > generic syntax highlighting engine for GtkSourceView (temporarly hosted
> > on the CVS of GtkSourceView on SourceForge, awaiting for a merge in the
> > CVS HEAD).
>
> I'm not sure if Google are aiming to attract *new* people to FLOSS development
> with this SoC thing.  If you can find that out, it may help you to know
> whether it's a good idea to include that previous experience.  But, of
> course, experience would hopefully always be considered a good thing.

This is fine.  They've mentioned that an objective is to "help students
from letting their Open Source skills get rusty over the summer", so I
think that showing some prior experience with Open Source will be
worthwhile.

Also, from Inkscape's perspective, we'll be looking favorably on
applicants that have some OSS experience since they'll probably be able
to get up to speed working with the project swifter.

On Wed, Jun 08, 2005 at 01:20:25PM +0200, Emanuele Aina wrote:

> Emanuele Aina <[hidden email]>
>
> Inkscape: Break out the canvas to a widget
>
> Create a GTK SVG canvas widget based off SPCanvas, to allow other
> projects to easily make use of an SVG canvas.
>

> Currently the widget used in Inkscape to display the SVG document is
> tightly bound to the editor, and cannot be used independently by other
> applications.
>
> The focus of this project is on the extrapolation of this canvas widget
> in a seperate library module, eliminating the need of the entire
       separate

> Inkscape codebase to use it.
>
> This will provide to the open source community a fully functional canvas
> widget with SVG semantics, making it easier to reuse and embed in
> external applications.
>
> The project aims to provide, in two separate stages:
> a) support for the simple SVG viewer included in Inkscape, Inkview
> b) support for the main Inkscape editor
>
> Right now I've set up a simple autotool'ed package to host the new
> library, but I'm going to start working seriously on this project at
> the beginning of July, because June is still exams period here.
>
> My name is Emanuele Aina and I'm a student at the Politecnico di Torino,
> Turin, Italy.
> I've already worked on some open source projects, writing some years ago
> the run-parts applet for busybox (http://busybox.net),
> writing with the current Gedit mantainer an experimental system for the
> spell checking in GNOME (not yet released), and implementing a new
> generic syntax highlighting engine for GtkSourceView (temporarly hosted
> on the CVS of GtkSourceView on SourceForge, awaiting for a merge in the
> CVS HEAD).

This looks good.  You may want to also include mention of other SVG
widget efforts that exist, such as SVGScene.

Re: [SoC] Applicant for the canvas widget proposal

Emanuele Aina
Bryce Harrington dicharò:

> This looks good.  You may want to also include mention of other SVG
> widget efforts that exist, such as SVGScene.

Ok. I've added two lines about that, just before the targets of the project.

Emanuele Aina <[hidden email]>

Inkscape: Break out the canvas to a widget

Create a GTK SVG canvas widget based off SPCanvas, to allow other
projects to easily make use of an SVG canvas.

Currently the widget used in Inkscape to display the SVG document
is tightly bound to the editor, and cannot be used independently by
other applications.

The focus of this project is on the extrapolation of this canvas widget
in a separate library module, eliminating the need of the entire
Inkscape codebase to use it.

This will provide to the open source community a fully functional canvas
widget with SVG semantics, making it easier to reuse and embed in
external applications. Other open source widgets exist, such as SVGScene
or the mozilla widget, but they are still prototypes or not mature or
flexible as the Inkscape widget.