Social Media Management

Robert Sterbal

I'm interested in helping with the social media management of the project.

I didn't see who to contact to help with social media on this link: https://inkscape.org/en/contribute/to-do-list/

Who do I ask, and how do I contact them?

Thanks,

Robert Sterbal
[hidden email]
412-977-3526 call/text

Re: Social Media Management

Martin Owens-2
Hi Robert,

It's great to hear from you and your help with social media.

Our working document for tracking project resources is here:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1kilt4tm1KDCNysd5oy5M5wJnCCS45fq
a7VIoEyBl090/edit#gid=0

The social media list as you can see is a bit all over the
place. scislac has the most keys, but I'm hoping we can get more people
involved and get a process for news propergation and the reverse (from
social media to project)

Which parts are you most interested in helping with? Are you interested
in working with me to make sure we have project wide admin access to
these accounts?

Best Regards, Martin Owens

On Sun, 2017-06-11 at 22:32 -0400, Robert Sterbal wrote:

> I'm interested in helping with the social media management of the
> project.
> I didn't see who to contact to help with social media on this link: h
> ttps://inkscape.org/en/contribute/to-do-list/
> Who do I ask, and how do I contact them?
> Thanks,
> Robert Sterbal
> [hidden email]
> 412-977-3526 call/text

Re: Social Media Management

Robert Sterbal
My main expertise is in Facebook groups. I co-admin a group with 19,000
people about a TV show. I moderate a group for an iOS developer with
about 70 people in it. I've used social media since the 1990s and I
really enjoy connecting users to each other and to relevant resources
about their interests.

I'd be happy to help organize your efforts. I'm a big fan of documenting
resources.

Thanks for your reply,

Robert Sterbal
[hidden email]
412-977-3526 call/text

On 6/11/2017 11:13 PM, Martin Owens wrote:

> Hi Robert,
>
> It's great to hear from you and your help with social media.
>
> Our working document for tracking project resources is here:
>
> https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1kilt4tm1KDCNysd5oy5M5wJnCCS45fq
> a7VIoEyBl090/edit#gid=0
>
> The social media list as you can see is a bit all over the
> place. scislac has the most keys, but I'm hoping we can get more people
> involved and get a process for news propergation and the reverse (from
> social media to project)
>
> Which parts are you most interested in helping with? Are you interested
> in working with me to make sure we have project wide admin access to
> these accounts?
>
> Best Regards, Martin Owens
>
> On Sun, 2017-06-11 at 22:32 -0400, Robert Sterbal wrote:
>> I'm interested in helping with the social media management of the
>> project.
>> I didn't see who to contact to help with social media on this link: h
>> ttps://inkscape.org/en/contribute/to-do-list/
>> Who do I ask, and how do I contact them?
>> Thanks,
>> Robert Sterbal
>> [hidden email]
>> 412-977-3526 call/text

> ---
> http://www.avg.com

Re: Social Media Management

Brynn
Hi Robert,
        I don't use social media myself.  But I certainly recognize the value to
a project like this.  I have the impression, from the posts we get now and then
(in both forums and mailing lists), that there doesn't seem to be anyone
participating on a daily  (or even just regular) basis, making sure connections
get made, questions answered, rumors squashed, etc.  I think one person holds
the accounts (as Martin mentioned), but doesn't have time for the day to day
management.

        I do know there is (at least) one FB group which has been fairly active
lately, holding drawing contests or challenges.  I could look up a link to it,
if you need it.  Although you probably already know about it.

        One thing that's in the plans, is an advocacy group or team, which would
make sure all the various necessary announcements get made, through all the
project's web outlets.  And as well, it would probably manage some outreach or
"marketing" plans (in quotes, since there's no "buying or selling").

        I'm hoping we can get that going as soon as the activity after hackfest
calms down.  Would you be interested in being on that team?  Or even if you
could just be the team's contact person for social media, it would be a big
help.  I can't say for sure, since we haven't organized yet, but probably the
team would create small announcements, and send them to you to post.

        Thanks for your offer to help! Let us know if you're interested in the
advocacy group, and at what level  :-)

My main expertise is in Facebook groups. I co-admin a group with 19,000
people about a TV show. I moderate a group for an iOS developer with
about 70 people in it. I've used social media since the 1990s and I
really enjoy connecting users to each other and to relevant resources
about their interests.

I'd be happy to help organize your efforts. I'm a big fan of documenting
resources.

Thanks for your reply,

Robert Sterbal
[hidden email]
412-977-3526 call/text

On 6/11/2017 11:13 PM, Martin Owens wrote:

> Hi Robert,
>
> It's great to hear from you and your help with social media.
>
> Our working document for tracking project resources is here:
>
> https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1kilt4tm1KDCNysd5oy5M5wJnCCS45fq
> a7VIoEyBl090/edit#gid=0
>
> The social media list as you can see is a bit all over the
> place. scislac has the most keys, but I'm hoping we can get more people
> involved and get a process for news propergation and the reverse (from
> social media to project)
>
> Which parts are you most interested in helping with? Are you interested
> in working with me to make sure we have project wide admin access to
> these accounts?
>
> Best Regards, Martin Owens
>
> On Sun, 2017-06-11 at 22:32 -0400, Robert Sterbal wrote:
>> I'm interested in helping with the social media management of the
>> project.
>> I didn't see who to contact to help with social media on this link: h
>> ttps://inkscape.org/en/contribute/to-do-list/
>> Who do I ask, and how do I contact them?
>> Thanks,
>> Robert Sterbal
>> [hidden email]
>> 412-977-3526 call/text

> ---
> http://www.avg.com

Re: Social Media Management

Robert Sterbal
That would be fine.

This project has great resources and helping people find them would be
the main focus of the effort right now.

I'd be happy to help with the project.

Please note that it is not recommended practice in social media for only
one person to know the login credentials of any single social media
presence.

Thanks,

Robert Sterbal
[hidden email]
412-977-3526 call/text

On 6/12/2017 4:23 AM, brynn wrote:

> [...]
>>
>> https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1kilt4tm1KDCNysd5oy5M5wJnCCS45fq
>> a7VIoEyBl090/edit#gid=0
>>
>> The social media list as you can see is a bit all over the
>> place. scislac has the most keys, but I'm hoping we can get more people
>> involved and get a process for news propergation and the reverse (from
>> social media to project)
>>
>> Which parts are you most interested in helping with? Are you interested
>> in working with me to make sure we have project wide admin access to
>> these accounts?
>>
>> Best Regards, Martin Owens
>>
>> On Sun, 2017-06-11 at 22:32 -0400, Robert Sterbal wrote:
>>> I'm interested in helping with the social media management of the
>>> project.
>>> I didn't see who to contact to help with social media on this link: h
>>> ttps://inkscape.org/en/contribute/to-do-list/
>>> Who do I ask, and how do I contact them?

Re: Social Media Management

Ryan Gorley
Facebook is probably the easiest platform to have Robert contribute to, since you just need to make him an editor to the page. Through TweetDeck we can accomplish essentially the same thing with Twitter through account contributors, though it is going to require a little setup (no cost) from someone with the admin login. Google allows for editors on pages, like Facebook does (I haven't tried on a community yet, but I'm sure it is essentially the same). LinkedIn and DeviantArt probably need to be addressed a little differently, and can be a topic for a different discussion.

Is the facilitation of contributors to the social platforms and the creation of a messaging strategy a good first task for the yet-to-be-created Inkscape marketing team?

Ryan Gorley @ Dijt

On Mon, Jun 12, 2017 at 5:24 AM, Robert Sterbal <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Marc Jeanmougin
It's really easy to do on twitter (I added me as a contributor a while ago and manage the account from tweetdeck along with mine)

On Mon, Jun 12, 2017 at 11:33:18AM -0600, Ryan Gorley wrote:

> [...]
> >> you to post.
> >>
> >>        Thanks for your offer to help! Let us know if you're interested in
> >> the advocacy group, and at what level  :-)
> >>
> >> All best,
> >> brynn
> >>
> >> -----Original Message----- From: Robert Sterbal
> >> Sent: Sunday, June 11, 2017 9:59 PM
> >> To: Martin Owens ; [hidden email] ; [hidden email]
> >> ge.net
> >> Subject: Re: [Inkscape-devel] Social Media Management
> >>
> >> My main expertise is in Facebook groups. I co-admin a group with 19,000
> >> people about a TV show. I moderate a group for an iOS developer with
> >> about 70 people in it. I've used social media since the 1990s and I
> >> really enjoy connecting users to each other and to relevant resources
> >> about their interests.
> >>
> >> I'd be happy to help organize your efforts. I'm a big fan of documenting

Re: Social Media Management

Bryce Harrington-3
On Mon, Jun 12, 2017 at 07:49:13PM +0200, Marc Jeanmougin wrote:
> It's really easy to do on twitter (I added me as a contributor a while ago and manage the account from tweetdeck along with mine)

The people with access to the credentials for various social media
and other online accounts is listed below (I've omitted email addresses
but trust you can find them easily enough.)

If there is a social media platform we need to share management of that
is not on the list, or if someone wishes to have access added for
themselves, the directions are here (currently):

  https://gitlab.com/inkscape/inkscape/tree/inkscape.dev_credentials

(Currently this is hosted as a git branch of inkscape, but I plan to move
it to be a distinct repository under the inkscape umbrella at some
point, so this link will change.)

appveyor
      "Tavmjong Bah"
      "Joshua Andler"
      "Mihaela Jurković"
      "Marc Jeanmougin"
      "Martin Owens"
      "Bryce Harrington"

kickstarter
      "Tavmjong Bah"
      "Martin Owens"
      "Joshua Andler"
      "Bryce Harrington"

mailman-inkscape-board
      "Tavmjong Bah"
      "Martin Owens"
      "Joshua Andler"
      "Bryce Harrington"

mailman-inkscape-devel
      "Tavmjong Bah"
      "Martin Owens"
      "Joshua Andler"
      "Bryce Harrington"

mailman-inkscape-translator
      "Tavmjong Bah"
      "Martin Owens"
      "Joshua Andler"
      "Bryce Harrington"

microsoft
      "Martin Owens"
      "Marc Jeanmougin"
      "Bryce Harrington"
      "Tavmjong Bah"
      "Joshua Andler"

twitter
      "Mihaela Jurković"
      "Marc Jeanmougin"
      "Tavmjong Bah"
      "Martin Owens"
      "Joshua Andler"
      "Bryce Harrington"

Note that a number of services, like Facebook, allow for team
administration so it's not necessary to manage shared credentials for
them.  See the spreadsheet martin posted for a complete list.

Bryce

> On Mon, Jun 12, 2017 at 11:33:18AM -0600, Ryan Gorley wrote:
> > Facebook is probably the easiest platform to have Robert contribute to,
> > since you just need to make him an editor to the page. Through TweetDeck we
> > can accomplish essentially the same thing with Twitter through account
> > contributors, though it is going to require a little setup (no cost) from
> > someone with the admin login. Google allows for editors on pages, like
> > Facebook does (I haven't tried on a community yet, but I'm sure it is
> > essentially the same). LinkedIn and DeviantArt probably need to be
> > addressed a little differently, and can be a topic for a different
> > discussion.
> >
> > Is the facilitation of contributors to the social platforms and the
> > creation of a messaging strategy a good first task for the
> > yet-to-be-created Inkscape marketing team?
> >

> > Ryan Gorley @ Dijt <https://dijt.co/>
> >
> > On Mon, Jun 12, 2017 at 5:24 AM, Robert Sterbal <[hidden email]>
> > wrote:
> >
> > > That would be fine.
> > >
> > > This project has great resources and helping people find them would be the
> > > main focus of the effort right now.
> > >
> > > I'd be happy to help with the project.
> > >
> > > Please note that it is not recommended practice in social media for only
> > > one person to know the login credentials of any single social media
> > > presence.
> > >
> > > Thanks,
> > >
> > > Robert Sterbal
> > > [hidden email]
> > > 412-977-3526 call/text

Re: Social Media Management

Robert Sterbal

My sense is that users feel left out of the community. What is helpful is to reach out to them, natively to the platforms they are on. Twitter, Facebook and Google have very different voices. Putting out some content on a regular basis and measuring engagement is a good step for any project.

Again, all the references to actually projects are somewhat vague. Who works with Facebook? How do I contact them?

Thanks,

Robert Sterbal
[hidden email]
412-977-3526 call/text

On 6/12/2017 1:33 PM, Ryan Gorley wrote:
[...]

I'm also of the opinion that many users feel ignored.  Even though Inkscape is
provided to them for free, many people like to feel some kind of ownership, or
partnership (can't think of the right word that I want to use here).  They want
to feel like they have a stake in the program or project.  For 2 or 3 years now,
I've been trying to keep forums "in the loop".  But not being a social media
participant, I can't do much there.

In any case, I'm glad that you want to step in and help in this way.  I've saved
your address, so that whenever Bryce is ready to extend invitations again, for
starting the advocacy group, you'll get the message.

It will be AWESOME to get this group going!

Did you see Bryce's message listing all the people who are involved with the
various outlets?  It's just a few messages above this one, in my inbox (if that
helps you to find it).  It was sent to the list, without any specific people
addressed.  (So maybe is somewhere else in your inbox?)

I think probably you can find the email addresses for all of them, in this devel
list.  Here's the archives, in case some of them haven't posted since you
joined.  You can get their addresses from there:
https://sourceforge.net/p/inkscape/mailman/inkscape-devel/

Re: Social Media Management

> Is the facilitation of contributors to the social platforms and the creation
> of a messaging strategy a good first task for the yet-to-be-created Inkscape
> marketing team?

I don't know about first task, but definitely one of the most important.  First
will be actually forming the team, and organizing ourselves.

We could try to do it already, but I would fear, with hackfest coming up, that
some of the potential members would not be able to give it their full attention.

Ryan, are you interested in joining this team?  I could save your address and
make sure you're notified.

Re: Social Media Management

Ryan Gorley
I'd gladly join. I've been putting some serious thought into the objectives of such a team. It is probably worthy of its own conversation so I'll put those those into a new email instead of here and push that out shortly.

-----Original Message----- From: Ryan Gorley

Sent: Sunday, June 11, 2017 9:59 PM
To: Martin Owens ; [hidden email] ; [hidden email]

[...]

------------------------------------------------------------------------------ Check out the vibrant tech community on one of the world's most

Re: Social Media Management

On Tue, Jun 13, 2017 at 03:29:35AM -0600, brynn wrote:

> I'm also of the opinion that many users feel ignored.  Even though Inkscape
> is provided to them for free, many people like to feel some kind of
> ownership, or partnership (can't think of the right word that I want to use
> here).  They want to feel like they have a stake in the program or project.
> For 2 or 3 years now, I've been trying to keep forums "in the loop".  But
> not being a social media participant, I can't do much there.
>
> In any case, I'm glad that you want to step in and help in this way.  I've
> saved your address, so that whenever Bryce is ready to extend invitations
> again, for starting the advocacy group, you'll get the message.

If people are interested in getting organized now, that's really the
only piece that's been missing.  And I've noticed some interest in
outreach efforts bubbling stronger lately, so maybe the time's ripe?  I
was thinking a get together type meeting would be a fun way to kick
things off, and just get to know everyone; if that sounds like it'd be
useful why don't you guys suggest a place and time?

I don't have fixed ideas for what the group would do, but it's been very
evident that we have some deep needs in this department, and Inkscape
needs an official team chartered to address them.

> It will be AWESOME to get this group going!

You guys should also decide what you want to call yourselves.  We've
kicked around "marketing", "advocacy", "outreach", and more, but I
figure it would be a good decision for the team to make for itself.

> Did you see Bryce's message listing all the people who are involved with the
> various outlets?  It's just a few messages above this one, in my inbox (if
> that helps you to find it).  It was sent to the list, without any specific
> people addressed.  (So maybe is somewhere else in your inbox?)
>
> I think probably you can find the email addresses for all of them, in this
> devel list.  Here's the archives, in case some of them haven't posted since
> you joined.  You can get their addresses from there:
> https://sourceforge.net/p/inkscape/mailman/inkscape-devel/

Robert mentioned he's also working on assembling a list of outlets.

There may be interest to tap in adding more; on the facebook group today
someone asked about an official youtube channel.  I'm sure there's no
shortage of great ideas, as Brynn said the trick will be recruiting and
building a solid team and nailing down some solid plans.

Bryce

> [...]
>
> https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1kilt4tm1KDCNysd5oy5M5wJnCCS45fq
> a7VIoEyBl090/edit#gid=0
>
> The social media list as you can see is a bit all over the
> place. scislac has the most keys, but I'm hoping we can get more people
> involved and get a process for news propergation and the reverse (from
> social media to project)
>
> Which parts are you most interested in helping with? Are you interested
> in working with me to make sure we have project wide admin access to
> these accounts?
>
> Best Regards, Martin Owens
>
> On Sun, 2017-06-11 at 22:32 -0400, Robert Sterbal wrote:
> I'm interested in helping with the social media management of the
> project.
> I didn't see who to contact to help with social media on this link: h
> ttps://inkscape.org/en/contribute/to-do-list/
> Who do I ask, and how do I contact them?

Re: Social Media Management

Ryan Gorley
I'll put forward that we meet at either 13:00 or 20:00 GMT on the Tuesday 6/20 on either IRC Freenode #inkscape-devel channel or https://meet.jit.si/inkscape

I'm open to alternative times. If we need to we could have an asynchronous meeting on the forum as well.

Ryan Gorley @ Dijt

On Tue, Jun 13, 2017 at 10:37 AM, Bryce Harrington <[hidden email]> wrote:
> [...]

> https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1kilt4tm1KDCNysd5oy5M5wJnCCS45fq
> a7VIoEyBl090/edit#gid=0
>
> The social media list as you can see is a bit all over the
> place. scislac has the most keys, but I'm hoping we can get more people
> involved and get a process for news propergation and the reverse (from
> social media to project)
>
> Which parts are you most interested in helping with? Are you interested
> in working with me to make sure we have project wide admin access to
> these accounts?
>
> Best Regards, Martin Owens
>
> On Sun, 2017-06-11 at 22:32 -0400, Robert Sterbal wrote:
> I'm interested in helping with the social media management of the
> project.
> I didn't see who to contact to help with social media on this link: h
> ttps://inkscape.org/en/contribute/to-do-list/
> Who do I ask, and how do I contact them?

Re: Social Media Management

Ryan Gorley

Ryan Gorley @ Dijt

On Tue, Jun 13, 2017 at 12:40 PM, [hidden email] <[hidden email]> wrote:
Do you have a link to the forum?

On Jun 13, 2017, at 2:21 PM, Ryan Gorley <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]

> https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1kilt4tm1KDCNysd5oy5M5wJnCCS45fq
> a7VIoEyBl090/edit#gid=0
>
> The social media list as you can see is a bit all over the
> place. scislac has the most keys, but I'm hoping we can get more people
> involved and get a process for news propergation and the reverse (from
> social media to project)
>
> Which parts are you most interested in helping with? Are you interested
> in working with me to make sure we have project wide admin access to
> these accounts?
>
> Best Regards, Martin Owens
>
> On Sun, 2017-06-11 at 22:32 -0400, Robert Sterbal wrote:
> I'm interested in helping with the social media management of the
> project.
> I didn't see who to contact to help with social media on this link: h
> ttps://inkscape.org/en/contribute/to-do-list/
> Who do I ask, and how do I contact them?

Re: Social Media Management

Ryan, the later of the two suggested times suits me better, and I'd
prefer IRC over jitsi (got no webcam or microphone).

However, I am not intending to play a major role in the team, I'd rather
take on a 'support' position in the background, if needed, e.g. I'd set
up any teams or what you need (for what I have access to), and I'd help
with any info, some organizational stuff or if you explicitly want
another person's opinion on something, but I'd like to leave the actual
marketing and any deeper discussions or decisions to others.

But I'll join that first session, of course :)

Kind Regards,
 Maren

Am 13.06.2017 um 20:21 schrieb Ryan Gorley:

> [...]
>     > these accounts?
>     >
>     > Best Regards, Martin Owens
>     >
>     > On Sun, 2017-06-11 at 22:32 -0400, Robert Sterbal wrote:
>     > I'm interested in helping with the social media management of the
>     > project.
>     > I didn't see who to contact to help with social media on this link: h
>     > ttps://inkscape.org/en/contribute/to-do-list/
>     <http://inkscape.org/en/contribute/to-do-list/>
>     > Who do I ask, and how do I contact them?
>     > Thanks,
>     > Robert Sterbal
>     > 412-977-3526 <tel:412-977-3526> call/text
>     >
>     > -------------------------------------------------------------------
>     > -----------
>     > Check out the vibrant tech community on one of the world's most

Re: Social Media Management

On Tue, Jun 13, 2017 at 12:21:25PM -0600, Ryan Gorley wrote:
> I'll put forward that we meet at either 13:00 or 20:00 GMT on the Tuesday
> 6/20 on either IRC Freenode #inkscape-devel channel or
> https://meet.jit.si/inkscape.

I could make the 20:00 GMT time that day.  13:00 is a bit too early for
me.

My schedule's pretty open next week so other days would work fine too.

Bryce

> [...]
> > >
> > > https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1kilt4tm1KDCNysd5oy5M5wJnCCS45fq
> > > a7VIoEyBl090/edit#gid=0
> > >
> > > The social media list as you can see is a bit all over the
> > > place. scislac has the most keys, but I'm hoping we can get more people
> > > involved and get a process for news propergation and the reverse (from
> > > social media to project)
> > >
> > > Which parts are you most interested in helping with? Are you interested
> > > in working with me to make sure we have project wide admin access to
> > > these accounts?
> > >
> > > Best Regards, Martin Owens
> > >
> > > On Sun, 2017-06-11 at 22:32 -0400, Robert Sterbal wrote:
> > > I'm interested in helping with the social media management of the
> > > project.
> > > I didn't see who to contact to help with social media on this link: h
> > > ttps://inkscape.org/en/contribute/to-do-list/
> > > Who do I ask, and how do I contact them?

Re: Social Media Management

Robert Sterbal
I think I'm looking for just the list of social media at this point, not
access to administrative passwords.

Can we complete this list on the wiki?

http://wiki.inkscape.org/wiki/index.php/Social_media

I wasn't able to find instagram or youtube which seem like a good fit
for this project.

Who can authorize the creation of a new official social media presence?

Thanks,

Robert Sterbal
[hidden email]
412-977-3526 call/text

On 6/12/2017 4:50 PM, Bryce Harrington wrote:

> [...]
>
> Bryce
>
>> On Mon, Jun 12, 2017 at 11:33:18AM -0600, Ryan Gorley wrote:
>>> Facebook is probably the easiest platform to have Robert contribute to,
>>> since you just need to make him an editor to the page. Through TweetDeck we
>>> can accomplish essentially the same thing with Twitter through account
>>> contributors, though it is going to require a little setup (no cost) from
>>> someone with the admin login. Google allows for editors on pages, like
>>> Facebook does (I haven't tried on a community yet, but I'm sure it is
>>> essentially the same). LinkedIn and DeviantArt probably need to be
>>> addressed a little differently, and can be a topic for a different
>>> discussion.
>>>
>>> Is the facilitation of contributors to the social platforms and the
>>> creation of a messaging strategy a good first task for the
>>> yet-to-be-created Inkscape marketing team?

Re: Social Media Management

Martin Owens-2
On Sat, 2017-06-17 at 00:42 -0400, Robert Sterbal wrote:
> Who can authorize the creation of a new official social media
> presence?

I here by authorise you to make official social media presence, whereby
you are able to a) distinguish the project from any personal account
and b) are able to share passwords and administrative access to the
inkscap board for safe keeping. c) announce it on inkscape-devel
mailing list to avoid duplication.

(We're a pretty flat organisation here, so you didn't really need
permission, but here it is for conciseness :-D)