SpiderMonkey vs V8

NASA Jeff
Spidermonkey doesn't seem too hard to integrate, creating a shim for a javascript
a library that provides an API for Inkscape hopefully shouldn't be too tricky and possible with a few precompiler directives in the code and a script
https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Mozilla/Projects/SpiderMonkey/How_to_embed_the_JavaScript_engine
  Spidermonkey looks a little short on documentation especially when it comes to C/JaverScript interoperability.

V8 maybe seems a little trickier to embed, only a little not a great deal but has good, clear documentation. it is however C++ base, so it how well that mixes with Inkscape's choice of c
https://chromium.googlesource.com/v8/v8/+/branch-heads/6.8/samples/hello-world.cc

do it's going to take some searching for documentation and examples of wrapping up c for javascript and javascript for c to determine which one will embed the nicest based on hope Inkscape's SPI is implemented.

Re: SpiderMonkey vs V8

Ted Gould
Hello Jeff,

As you're looking please take into account updates and security policy. We typically like major features to build with libraries that are included in the last stable release of the major Linux distros. This makes it easier for new developers to get on board and get Inkscape building so that they can add features.

Last I checked v8's update policy was "Update your app every couple weeks for security updates." Which definitely doesn't match what we're doing today. Not saying we can't change, but that's a much bigger discussion.

Ted