Sponsors Side Page

Martin Owens-2
Dear Developers,

We've just finalised our revised sponsorship details. I've written a
rough draft in situ to describe the different levels.

https://inkscape.org/en/support-us/sponsors/?edit

Please review the right side panel text, it's very rough draft so it'll
need some corrections. You can edit it directly, but please don't
publish yet. Bryce needs to confirm the details.

Re: Sponsors Side Page

objarni
It is not mobile friendly, see attached screenshot.

But maybe that is not the ambition?

On 4 Mar 2017 10:04, "Martin Owens" <[hidden email]> wrote:
Dear Developers,

We've just finalised our revised sponsorship details. I've written a
rough draft in situ to describe the different levels.

https://inkscape.org/en/support-us/sponsors/?edit

Please review the right side panel text, it's very rough draft so it'll
need some corrections. You can edit it directly, but please don't
publish yet. Bryce needs to confirm the details.

Screenshot_20170304-101905.png (287K) Download Attachment

Re: Sponsors Side Page

Tavmjong Bah
On Sat, 2017-03-04 at 04:02 -0500, Martin Owens wrote:

> Dear Developers,
>
> We've just finalised our revised sponsorship details. I've written a
> rough draft in situ to describe the different levels.
>
> https://inkscape.org/en/support-us/sponsors/?edit
>
> Please review the right side panel text, it's very rough draft so
> it'll
> need some corrections. You can edit it directly, but please don't
> publish yet. Bryce needs to confirm the details.

Looks good. My one comment is that is seems to dominate the page. Maybe
use smaller icons (inline with the level name? ✎Platinum Pen) and a
slightly smaller font?

Tav

Re: Sponsors Side Page

Maren Hachmann
The texts sound all very nice! Thank you, Martin. Also for the pictures.

Some things that differ from the board resolution:

- Aren't Platinum and Diamond meant to be merged, according to board
resolution? (Platinum was intended to be kept as a name).

- What does "your logo and link would be available on the website in two
of the gold level sponsor slots for one year." mean?

Does this mean the logo is there twice?

- Platinum was in website footer, according to board resolution

- Where are 'news items' mentioned in the board resolution. Maybe it's
the same as 'sponsor slots'?...

- The rotation that is mentioned, would that be automated? Or how is
this going to happen?

- The text at the bottom says something about 'one-time items', but I
can't find any...?

Maren

Am 04.03.2017 um 11:02 schrieb Tavmjong Bah:

> On Sat, 2017-03-04 at 04:02 -0500, Martin Owens wrote:
>> Dear Developers,
>>
>> We've just finalised our revised sponsorship details. I've written a
>> rough draft in situ to describe the different levels.
>>
>> https://inkscape.org/en/support-us/sponsors/?edit
>>
>> Please review the right side panel text, it's very rough draft so
>> it'll
>> need some corrections. You can edit it directly, but please don't
>> publish yet. Bryce needs to confirm the details.
>
> Looks good. My one comment is that is seems to dominate the page. Maybe
> use smaller icons (inline with the level name? ✎Platinum Pen) and a
> slightly smaller font?
>
> Tav
>
>> Best Regards, Martin Owens

Re: Sponsors Side Page

Martin Owens-2

> - Aren't Platinum and Diamond meant to be merged, according to board
> resolution? (Platinum was intended to be kept as a name).

That didn't pass the vote.

> - What does "your logo and link would be available on the website in
> two of the gold level sponsor slots for one year." mean?
> Does this mean the logo is there twice?

No it means that given 10 rotations, your logo/link will be there for
two of them. So 2 times will be your link, 8 times will be someone
elses.

> - Platinum was in website footer, according to board resolution

Thanks!

> - Where are 'news items' mentioned in the board resolution. Maybe
> it's the same as 'sponsor slots'?...

Forgot those, thanks for the reminder!

> - The rotation that is mentioned, would that be automated? Or how is
> this going to happen?

Would have to be automated. A new cms plugin will be needed when the
first sponsor is signed up.

> - The text at the bottom says something about 'one-time items', but I
> can't find any...?

Those would be the news. I don't think it scans well, but maybe someone
has some better words to express them?

Thanks Maren!

I'll put in Tav's smaller text and I don't think those templates were
made mobile friendly, so that's not in-scope for this edit. But
something to remember for the future.

Re: Sponsors Side Page

Maren Hachmann
Am 04.03.2017 um 16:57 schrieb Martin Owens:

>> - Aren't Platinum and Diamond meant to be merged, according to board
>> resolution? (Platinum was intended to be kept as a name).
>
> That didn't pass the vote.

- I believe it did:
https://inkscape.org/en/paste/10740/, line 42.
Or was there anything else later?

>> - What does "your logo and link would be available on the website in
>> two of the gold level sponsor slots for one year." mean?
>> Does this mean the logo is there twice?
>
> No it means that given 10 rotations, your logo/link will be there for
> two of them. So 2 times will be your link, 8 times will be someone
> elses.

- Ah, ok. Maybe just write '2 of the 10 rotation slots' to make it
clearer? Then it could be read independently of the gold sponsor item
and would still make sense.

Thanks for the other explanations!

*goes off to create an issue for inkscape-web*

Maren

>> - Platinum was in website footer, according to board resolution
>
> Thanks!
>
>> - Where are 'news items' mentioned in the board resolution. Maybe
>> it's the same as 'sponsor slots'?...
>
> Forgot those, thanks for the reminder!
>
>> - The rotation that is mentioned, would that be automated? Or how is
>> this going to happen?
>
> Would have to be automated. A new cms plugin will be needed when the
> first sponsor is signed up.
>
>> - The text at the bottom says something about 'one-time items', but I
>> can't find any...?
>
> Those would be the news. I don't think it scans well, but maybe someone
> has some better words to express them?
>
> Thanks Maren!
>
> I'll put in Tav's smaller text and I don't think those templates were
> made mobile friendly, so that's not in-scope for this edit. But
> something to remember for the future.
>
> Martin,

Re: Sponsors Side Page

Bryce Harrington-3
On Sat, Mar 04, 2017 at 05:17:43PM +0100, Maren Hachmann wrote:

> Am 04.03.2017 um 16:57 schrieb Martin Owens:
> >
> >> - Aren't Platinum and Diamond meant to be merged, according to board
> >> resolution? (Platinum was intended to be kept as a name).
> >
> > That didn't pass the vote.
>
> - I believe it did:
> https://inkscape.org/en/paste/10740/, line 42.
> Or was there anything else later?

It passed by majority vote, but there was not a consensus.  So we can
proceed with merging it, but may be revisiting it later, which is fine.

Basically, currently we don't really have enough to distinguish between
these two highest levels, and no sponsors have expressed interest at
this level anyway, so we'll just have a platinum level until we have
better benefits to provide at a diamond level.

I'll give separate feedback about other items on the OP.

Bryce

> >> - What does "your logo and link would be available on the website in
> >> two of the gold level sponsor slots for one year." mean?
> >> Does this mean the logo is there twice?
> >
> > No it means that given 10 rotations, your logo/link will be there for
> > two of them. So 2 times will be your link, 8 times will be someone
> > elses.
>
> - Ah, ok. Maybe just write '2 of the 10 rotation slots' to make it
> clearer? Then it could be read independently of the gold sponsor item
> and would still make sense.
>
> Thanks for the other explanations!
>
> *goes off to create an issue for inkscape-web*
>
> Maren
>
> >> - Platinum was in website footer, according to board resolution
> >
> > Thanks!
> >
> >> - Where are 'news items' mentioned in the board resolution. Maybe
> >> it's the same as 'sponsor slots'?...
> >
> > Forgot those, thanks for the reminder!
> >
> >> - The rotation that is mentioned, would that be automated? Or how is
> >> this going to happen?
> >
> > Would have to be automated. A new cms plugin will be needed when the
> > first sponsor is signed up.
> >
> >> - The text at the bottom says something about 'one-time items', but I
> >> can't find any...?
> >
> > Those would be the news. I don't think it scans well, but maybe someone
> > has some better words to express them?
> >
> > Thanks Maren!
> >
> > I'll put in Tav's smaller text and I don't think those templates were
> > made mobile friendly, so that's not in-scope for this edit. But
> > something to remember for the future.
> >
> > Martin,

Re: Sponsors Side Page

On Sat, Mar 04, 2017 at 04:02:20AM -0500, Martin Owens wrote:

> Dear Developers,
>
> We've just finalised our revised sponsorship details. I've written a
> rough draft in situ to describe the different levels.
>
> https://inkscape.org/en/support-us/sponsors/?edit
>
> Please review the right side panel text, it's very rough draft so it'll
> need some corrections. You can edit it directly, but please don't
> publish yet. Bryce needs to confirm the details.
>
> Best Regards, Martin Owens

Thanks for hopping right on this Martin!  I've posted the finalization
of the sponsorship levels to the board list, that you can use now.

I love the icons, very nice.  I agree with Tav that the sidebar could
benefit from styling it a bit differently to set it off; poking around
the site I see this is consistent with how sidebars are done elsewhere,
but maybe a faint light grey background or something could help.
Smaller font and icon sizes like Tav suggested might make sense too.

I love the 10 sponsor rotation concept, although that wasn't included in
the update we just voted on, so I might suggest to leave that out
initially, get the CMS plugin done at your convenience, and then we'll
do another sponsorship level vote to make that an additional benefit
once its ready.

Maren already mentioned the need to add the news item(s) and merging
Platinum and Diamond.

I also agree with Maren the Note section at the bottom is a bit awkward,
as it looks like part of the Diamond Scribe level.  May be better to
keep all of the level-agnostic details up in the intro paragraph.  But
I think as long as we're diligent about always defining the time
duration of items each place they're mentioned, the note is unnecessary.

The link for "email The Inkscape Board" actually goes to webmaster.  I
don't have an opinion whether we should have them email the board or the
webmaster, but the link and text should be consistent.  Might be
worthwhile to add "...and make your donation <here>" with a link to the
paypal page or something?

Thanks again for getting this on the website so quickly, it will be
great to have this to show potential sponsors.

Re: Sponsors Side Page

Martin Owens-2
Thanks everyone.

OK, I've updated the page with style, size, text. I've moved the front
paragraph out and into the main body.

Please review.

Best Regards, Martin Owens

On Sat, 2017-03-04 at 14:03 -0800, Bryce Harrington wrote:

> On Sat, Mar 04, 2017 at 04:02:20AM -0500, Martin Owens wrote:
> >
> > Dear Developers,
> >
> > We've just finalised our revised sponsorship details. I've written
> > rough draft in situ to describe the different levels.
> >
> > https://inkscape.org/en/support-us/sponsors/?edit
> >
> > Please review the right side panel text, it's very rough draft so
> > it'll
> > need some corrections. You can edit it directly, but please don't
> > publish yet. Bryce needs to confirm the details.
> >
> > Best Regards, Martin Owens
> Thanks for hopping right on this Martin!  I've posted the
> finalization
> of the sponsorship levels to the board list, that you can use now.
>
> I love the icons, very nice.  I agree with Tav that the sidebar could
> benefit from styling it a bit differently to set it off; poking
> around
> the site I see this is consistent with how sidebars are done
> elsewhere,
> but maybe a faint light grey background or something could help.
> Smaller font and icon sizes like Tav suggested might make sense too.
>
> I love the 10 sponsor rotation concept, although that wasn't included
> in
> the update we just voted on, so I might suggest to leave that out
> initially, get the CMS plugin done at your convenience, and then
> we'll
> do another sponsorship level vote to make that an additional benefit
> once its ready.
>
> Maren already mentioned the need to add the news item(s) and merging
> Platinum and Diamond.
>
> I also agree with Maren the Note section at the bottom is a bit
> awkward,
> as it looks like part of the Diamond Scribe level.  May be better to
> keep all of the level-agnostic details up in the intro
> paragraph.  But
> I think as long as we're diligent about always defining the time
> duration of items each place they're mentioned, the note is
> unnecessary.
>
> The link for "email The Inkscape Board" actually goes to
> webmaster.  I
> don't have an opinion whether we should have them email the board or
> the
> webmaster, but the link and text should be consistent.  Might be
> worthwhile to add "...and make your donation <here>" with a link to
> the
> paypal page or something?
>
> Thanks again for getting this on the website so quickly, it will be
> great to have this to show potential sponsors.
>
> Bryce

Re: Sponsors Side Page

Jabier Arraiza
Hi Martin!

Maybe the order is not alphabetical as say here: <quote>On this page,
we would like to thank our sponsors, who help us by supplying technical
services, goods or by donating to the Inkscape project (in alphabetical
order):</quote>

Cheers, Jabier.

On Sat, 2017-03-04 at 18:54 -0500, Martin Owens wrote:

> [...]
> > as it looks like part of the Diamond Scribe level.  May be better
> > keep all of the level-agnostic details up in the intro
> > paragraph.  But
> > I think as long as we're diligent about always defining the time
> > duration of items each place they're mentioned, the note is
> > unnecessary.
> >
> > The link for "email The Inkscape Board" actually goes to
> > webmaster.  I
> > don't have an opinion whether we should have them email the board
> > or
> > the
> > webmaster, but the link and text should be consistent.  Might be
> > worthwhile to add "...and make your donation <here>" with a link to
> > the
> > paypal page or something?
> >
> > Thanks again for getting this on the website so quickly, it will be
> > great to have this to show potential sponsors.

Re: Sponsors Side Page

I like the visual separation, but I find the background grays too dark,
especially the one in the titles, and the vertical spacing too little.

On that dark background, the silver and platinum look a bit dull.

Would it be okay to add a full stop after the sentence about how
grateful we are and before the perks?

The dark line at the top could be added, maybe by leveraging z-order,
and moving the header down a pixel or two. But there are probably some
real web designers listening in here who know better how to accomplish that.

My idea (without the top border, would have taken longer to figure that
out) attached.

Maren

Am 05.03.2017 um 00:54 schrieb Martin Owens:

> Thanks everyone.
>
> OK, I've updated the page with style, size, text. I've moved the front
> paragraph out and into the main body.
>
> Please review.
>
> Best Regards, Martin Owens
>
> On Sat, 2017-03-04 at 14:03 -0800, Bryce Harrington wrote:
>> On Sat, Mar 04, 2017 at 04:02:20AM -0500, Martin Owens wrote:
>>>
>>> Dear Developers,
>>>
>>> We've just finalised our revised sponsorship details. I've written
>>> rough draft in situ to describe the different levels.
>>>
>>> https://inkscape.org/en/support-us/sponsors/?edit
>>>
>>> Please review the right side panel text, it's very rough draft so
>>> it'll
>>> need some corrections. You can edit it directly, but please don't
>>> publish yet. Bryce needs to confirm the details.
>>>
>>> Best Regards, Martin Owens
>> Thanks for hopping right on this Martin!  I've posted the
>> finalization
>> of the sponsorship levels to the board list, that you can use now.
>>
>> I love the icons, very nice.  I agree with Tav that the sidebar could
>> benefit from styling it a bit differently to set it off; poking
>> around
>> the site I see this is consistent with how sidebars are done
>> elsewhere,
>> but maybe a faint light grey background or something could help.
>> Smaller font and icon sizes like Tav suggested might make sense too.
>>
>> I love the 10 sponsor rotation concept, although that wasn't included
>> in
>> the update we just voted on, so I might suggest to leave that out
>> initially, get the CMS plugin done at your convenience, and then
>> we'll
>> do another sponsorship level vote to make that an additional benefit
>> once its ready.
>>
>> Maren already mentioned the need to add the news item(s) and merging
>> Platinum and Diamond.
>>
>> I also agree with Maren the Note section at the bottom is a bit
>> awkward,
>> as it looks like part of the Diamond Scribe level.  May be better to
>> keep all of the level-agnostic details up in the intro
>> paragraph.  But
>> I think as long as we're diligent about always defining the time
>> duration of items each place they're mentioned, the note is
>> unnecessary.
>>
>> The link for "email The Inkscape Board" actually goes to
>> webmaster.  I
>> don't have an opinion whether we should have them email the board or
>> the
>> webmaster, but the link and text should be consistent.  Might be
>> worthwhile to add "...and make your donation <here>" with a link to
>> the
>> paypal page or something?
>>
>> Thanks again for getting this on the website so quickly, it will be
>> great to have this to show potential sponsors.
>>
>> Bryce

Bildschirmfoto_2017-03-05_01-24-23.png (37K) Download Attachment

Re: Sponsors Side Page

objarni
There is a horizontal scroll bar when viewed on a mobile phone. I checked with a couple other pages (front, download, report bug) and they render without horisontal scroll.