Still not seeing anyone on IRC so find my propoal in this email for your comment and consieration.

Still not seeing anyone on IRC so find my propoal in this email for your comment and consieration.

NASA Jeff
I'm currently looking at implementing SVG animation in inkscape.
there are three languages this could be done in and SMIL looks like the best bang for buck, but unfortunately, it's not supported by Microsoft and google have plans to drop it as soon as a replacement is found
this leaves CSS and javascript
I don't think CSS will really cut it and U don't really want to waste my time creating something that isn't actually that good
so that leaves us with javascript, which is what I first intended to use. that should be too bad aside from all the code analysis required to infer the animation for editing. that shouldn't be too bad if the script is kept clean and tidy and any complexity offloaded to functions so animation  script isn't a piecemeal meal mix of function ands logic
for java script I intened to implement a 'macro' engine first, making every action scriptable, as this is a prerequisite for being able to animate it
implementing a macro engine aka making inkscape scriptable and capturing UI events is pretty much the same as undo/redo functionality except you don't have worry about creating reverse functionality.
limiting Inkscape so it can only import nice clean tidy inkscape generated animated SVG seems like a good path to follow to start with and should avoid too much of the headache f interpreting the javascript so that the animation information can be extracted.
I would then create a script to sanitize and general animated SVG file so that it is in inkscapes clean style.
this can then become chained and made seamless part of opening any old animated SVG file in inkscape.
a CSS to Javascript converter would also be a nice feature to have though it may come to a point where uyi integration is so comprehensive adding support for animated CSS is trivial and so both javascript and css become supported.