Suggestion for New User

Alan Feuerbacher
Hi,

I recently began using Inkscape on Windows 7 for the first time
(0.92.2), and have been having some problems. Since I'm a brand new
user, I'm not sure if this is due to my inexperience, or if there are
some actual bugs.

I've been following an online tutorial from Derek Banas (
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_qqTAjBaeJ0 ), but it refers to a much
older version of Inkscape, and many things don't work the way the
tutorial says.

I'm almost thinking of using an older version instead of 0.92.2.

Any suggestions?

Alan

---

Re: Suggestion for New User

Inkscape - User mailing list
Hi Alan,
Welcome! As far as tutorials are concerned, I think the best index of
what is available can be found at:
https://forum.inkscapecommunity.com/index.php

If you can describe the nature of the problem you're having, perhaps
someone on the mailing list could help determine if it is a bug or not.

Ryan

On 02/08/2018 08:48 PM, Alan Feuerbacher wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I recently began using Inkscape on Windows 7 for the first time
> (0.92.2), and have been having some problems. Since I'm a brand new
> user, I'm not sure if this is due to my inexperience, or if there are
> some actual bugs.
>
> I've been following an online tutorial from Derek Banas (
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_qqTAjBaeJ0 ), but it refers to a much
> older version of Inkscape, and many things don't work the way the
> tutorial says.
>
> I'm almost thinking of using an older version instead of 0.92.2.
>
> Any suggestions?
>
> Alan
>
> ---

Re: Suggestion for New User

Read the tutorial synopsis.

Here are my thoughts (things that are the same in recent versions of
Inkscape are marked [SAME]:

g. Combine : Ctrl + K
[SAME]

h. Break Apart : Shift + Ctrl + K
[SAME]

i. Simplify : Ctrl + l : Eliminates nodes on a path, smooths the
curves and eliminates points (Mainly used for artistic rather then
technical drawings)
[SAME]

I. If you press Ctrl + l quickly the force used to simplify will increase.
[SAME]

II. You can also set how strong simplify is in Inkscape Preferences ->
Misc. A setting above .01 will almost definitely be to high.
[DIFFERENT] (Use: Edit > Preferences > Behaviour  to change the
simplification threshold lower so it doesn't toss out so much detail)

j. Inset : Ctrl + 9 : Shrinks the path (Create Duplicates to test )
[SAME] (But terrible results, DO NOT USE) Try Ctrl+J and move the
handle to inset or outset with real-time preview.

k. Outset : Ctrl + 0 : Enlarges the path [SAME (terrible, do not use)
Try Ctrl+J and move the handle to inset or outset with real-time
preview]
[SAME] (But terrible results, DO NOT USE) Try Ctrl+J and move the
handle to inset or outset with real-time preview.

44. The Node Tool

a. The node tool is used to edit points and the curves of paths
[SAME]

b. Clicking selects one object
[SAME]

c. Shift Clicking : Adds to the already selected objects
[SAME]

d. Alt Clicking : Selects the next object down
[SAME]

e. Clicking on a node selects it
[SAME]

f. Clicking between 2 nodes selects both of them
[SAME]

g. Tab : cycles through the nodes of the selected object

h. Ctrl + a : Selects all nodes in the selected path
[SAME]

i. ! : Selects the opposite nodes from what is selected
[SAME]

j. Delete a node with Delete (Delete Node Icon)
[SAME]

k. Add a node by double clicking (Add Node Icon)
[SAME]

l. You can also select two nodes and (Add Node Icon)
[SAME]

m. Shift + J : Moves 2 selected nodes into one
[SAME]

n. (Join Nodes with Line Segment Icon) : Draws a line segment between
selected nodes
[SAME]

o. (Shift + B) There are buttons for breaking apart at nodes as well
[SAME]

q. Sometimes it is easiest to move a curve by grabbing the curve
itself instead of nodes.
[SAME]

r. DRAGGING NODE HANDLES

I. Ctrl + Handle : Rotates in 15 degree increments
[SAME]

II. Shift + Handle : Handles rotate at the same angle
[SAME]

III. Option + Handle : Lock length of handle
[Alt + Handle] [SAME]

IV. [ & ] : Rotate the node
[SAME] Though the Shift and Alt modifiers should control speed of
rotation like in Select mode. [BUG/WISHLIST item]

V. < & > : Shrink the length of the handles
[SAME]

VI. Ctrl + Click Handle : To retract it
[SAME]

VII. Shift + Drag From Node : To drag out a handle
[SAME]

VIII. Ctrl + Drag node : Restricts dragging vertically and horizontally
[SAME]

IX. NO Shift + Dragging Node : Duplicates the path
Wut? lol

X. Selected Nodes can be aligned with Align and Distribute Node Section
[SAME]

XI. Create Text : Path -> Object to Path : Drag Nodes + Alt : Node
Sculpting smoothly bends the nodes
[DIFFERENT : BUG] This no longer works for me. (on Ubuntu 17.10, Inkscape Trunk)

XII. Create Line : Select nodes : Hit Add Nodes : Option + Drag to
make bell shape
[DIFFERENT : BUG] This no longer works for me. (on Ubuntu 17.10, Inkscape Trunk)

XIII. h : Flips the line horizontally
[SAME]

XIV. v : Flips the line vertically
[SAME]

XV. [ & ] : Rotate all selected nodes
[SAME]

XVI. < & > : Scale all selected nodes
[SAME]

XVII. Drag a copy by dragging and hitting SPACE to drop a copy
[SAME]

45. PATH EFFECTS

a. Path effects don’t apply to text, clones or bitmaps. Work with paths & shapes
[SAME, Unfortunately.]

b. Path -> Path Effect Editor
[DIFFERENT] Path > Path Effects...

c. The Effect List lists all the effects applied
[SAME]

d. To copy a path effect to another object, select the object to copy
from Ctrl + C select the target and Ctrl + 7
[SAME] Though I highly recommend saving your work before doing this.
It's just asking for trouble. :)

e. To remove a Path Effect use Remove Path Effect in Path Menu
[SAME] Also the red - symbol in the path effect dialog

f. Fix the lxml wrapper for libxml2 error on Mac :
https://answers.launchpad.net/inkscape/+question/194132
No idea about this one. Though be thankful you aren't using a Mac.
Apple does not make it easy to develop Inkscape for Mac users, so it's
an extra big pain in the ass to get it working properly. Hopefully
this will change in the future.

g. PATTERN ALONG PATH

i. Takes a path or pattern and stretches it across another path
[SAME]

h. STITCH SUB PATHS
[SAME]

i. BEND
[SAME]

j. CONSTRUCT GRID
[SAME]

k. ENVELOPE DEFORMATION
[SAME]

l. GEARS
[SAME]

i. Draws a series of gears across a path
[SAME]

m. HATCHES (ROUGH)
[SAME] Pro tip: You can use this on text if you break each letter at
one point, so the path is open. Makes nice sketchy titles with almost
no work at all.

n. INTERPOLATE SUB PATHS
[SAME]

o. KNOT
[SAME] But works perfectly for me (not crashy anymore)

p. RULER
[SAME]

q. SKETCH
[SAME]

r. SPIRO SPLINE
[SAME] Though in 0.92 and up you can actually select spiro spline in
the curve options of the Bezier Curve tool (top-left)

s. VONKOCH
[SAME]

So it seems to me most of the information is the same. I'd give this
tutorial a 9.5 out of 10 for relevance to current Inkscape.

On Fri, Feb 9, 2018 at 3:48 AM, Alan Feuerbacher <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I recently began using Inkscape on Windows 7 for the first time (0.92.2),
> and have been having some problems. Since I'm a brand new user, I'm not sure
> if this is due to my inexperience, or if there are some actual bugs.
>
> I've been following an online tutorial from Derek Banas (
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_qqTAjBaeJ0 ), but it refers to a much older
> version of Inkscape, and many things don't work the way the tutorial says.
>
> I'm almost thinking of using an older version instead of 0.92.2.
>
> Any suggestions?
>
> Alan
>
> ---

Re: Suggestion for New User

Instead of using an older version of Inkscape, it would seem to make more sense
to find more current tutorials.

From one version to the next, or even from 3 or 4 versions past, you should not
be finding "many" things not working.  Not more than a small handful of things,
really would change so much that it doesn't work at all.  And a beginner,
learning beginner skills should not be finding anything which doesn't work.

After watching a little over 5 minutes of that tutorial....well, I'll just say
that I would strongly suggest finding some better tutorials.  Tutorials like
that are one of the main reasons I spend time and energy compiling, curating,
and keeping current the page which Ryan suggested (thanks, Ryan):
https://forum.inkscapecommunity.com/index.php

Click on the *black text* of each list item, to open a list of tutorials by each
author.  After the list is open, and if I know which versions of Inkscape were
used for each tutorial, there's a colored bullet to indicate which version.

If there is some particular tool, feature or technique which you're anxious to
learn, please feel free to let us know, and we can explain.  Although I didn't
watch that whole video, there's enough in the first 5 minutes to make me think,
at best you were confused, and at worst misled.

Re: Suggestion for New User

C R
Out of 56 items in that tutorial, 53 work exactly the same in the
latest version of Inkscape.
Two of the three *different* things are actually bugs in the hotkeys.

So there's actually only a single thing that's different
(simplification threshold moved to different area of preferences).

It seems to me there's no reason at all to use the older version. Just
bug report two hotkey malfunctions, and then you can enjoy all the
goodies of the current version and continue the tutorial series you
are presently watching.
Lots of stuff has been added, and relatively few things changed in
regards to how Inkscape used to work.

-C

On Sun, Feb 11, 2018 at 5:13 AM, brynn <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Instead of using an older version of Inkscape, it would seem to make more
> sense to find more current tutorials.
>
> From one version to the next, or even from 3 or 4 versions past, you should
> not be finding "many" things not working.  Not more than a small handful of
> things, really would change so much that it doesn't work at all.  And a
> beginner, learning beginner skills should not be finding anything which
> doesn't work.
>
> After watching a little over 5 minutes of that tutorial....well, I'll just
> say that I would strongly suggest finding some better tutorials.  Tutorials
> like that are one of the main reasons I spend time and energy compiling,
> curating, and keeping current the page which Ryan suggested (thanks, Ryan):
> https://forum.inkscapecommunity.com/index.php
>
> Click on the *black text* of each list item, to open a list of tutorials by
> each author.  After the list is open, and if I know which versions of
> Inkscape were used for each tutorial, there's a colored bullet to indicate
> which version.
>
> If there is some particular tool, feature or technique which you're anxious
> to learn, please feel free to let us know, and we can explain.  Although I
> didn't watch that whole video, there's enough in the first 5 minutes to make
> me think, at best you were confused, and at worst misled.
>
> All best,
> brynn
>
> -----Original Message----- From: Alan Feuerbacher
> Sent: Thursday, February 08, 2018 8:48 PM
> To: [hidden email]
> Subject: [Inkscape-user] Suggestion for New User
>

> Hi,
>
> I recently began using Inkscape on Windows 7 for the first time
> (0.92.2), and have been having some problems. Since I'm a brand new
> user, I'm not sure if this is due to my inexperience, or if there are
> some actual bugs.
>
> I've been following an online tutorial from Derek Banas (
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_qqTAjBaeJ0 ), but it refers to a much
> older version of Inkscape, and many things don't work the way the
> tutorial says.
>
> I'm almost thinking of using an older version instead of 0.92.2.
>
> Any suggestions?
>
> Alan
>
> ---

Re: Suggestion for New User

_ makiimai
Hi,

I'm a beginner, too. Like the scrnShot, if I encounter a problem (tried to follow Derek Banas's tut as watching video, the text did not get fat nor differ), want to not concern if that is because of the difference of the version. I'll just do it again and again though .

> [...]

> All best,
> brynn
>
> -----Original Message----- From: Alan Feuerbacher
> Sent: Thursday, February 08, 2018 8:48 PM
> To: [hidden email]
> Subject: [Inkscape-user] Suggestion for New User
>

> Hi,
>
> I recently began using Inkscape on Windows 7 for the first time
> (0.92.2), and have been having some problems. Since I'm a brand new
> user, I'm not sure if this is due to my inexperience, or if there are
> some actual bugs.
>
> I've been following an online tutorial from Derek Banas (
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_qqTAjBaeJ0 ), but it refers to a much
> older version of Inkscape, and many things don't work the way the
> tutorial says.
>
> I'm almost thinking of using an older version instead of 0.92.2.

outset-didnot and difference-didnot.png (3M) Download Attachment