Quantcast

Text flow

hashashin
Hi

One of the annoyances of Inkscape is writting text. Is planned (or in CVS) any version of inkscape with text flow, where you can do automatic word-wrap (and btw, text justification?)?

Thanks for inkscape :)

Alberto Simões

Re: Text flow

Josef 'cornelius' Vybíral
Hi Alberto

On Mon, 06 Mar 2006 10:32:41 +0100, Alberto Simões"" <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Hi
>
> One of the annoyances of Inkscape is writting text. Is planned (or in
> CVS)
> any version of inkscape with text flow, where you can do automatic
> word-wrap
> (and btw, text justification?)?

You can create flowed text by simple way since .42 version, IIRC. Just use
text tool, click and drag to create an envelope for text to flow. After
that you can just type in and text will be wrapped into this envelope. Or
if you have an envelope already created, select the envelope and typed
text and use Text - Flow text into a frame. Of course that you can use all
the fine things like changing justification, fonts etc using Text - Text
and fonts menu.

  cheers
    cornelius

--
Josef Vybíral a.k.a. cornelius

Re: Text flow

hashashin
Ok, Stupid me :-)
Thanks.

(just missing the justification :-))

Thanks again

wrote:

> Hi
>
> One of the annoyances of Inkscape is writting text. Is planned (or in
> CVS)
> any version of inkscape with text flow, where you can do automatic
> word-wrap
> (and btw, text justification?)?

You can create flowed text by simple way since .42 version, IIRC. Just use
text tool, click and drag to create an envelope for text to flow. After
that you can just type in and text will be wrapped into this envelope. Or
if you have an envelope already created, select the envelope and typed
text and use Text - Flow text into a frame. Of course that you can use all
the fine things like changing justification, fonts etc using Text - Text
and fonts menu.

  cheers
    cornelius

--
Josef Vybíral a.k.a. cornelius

Alberto Simões

Re: Text flow

Josef 'cornelius' Vybíral
On Mon, 06 Mar 2006 16:30:09 +0100, Alberto Simões"" <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Ok, Stupid me :-)
> Thanks.
>
> (just missing the justification :-))

I am afraid this style of alignment is not described in the specifications
of SVG format so there is no support in Inkscape(because it uses svg as
the native format and it would mean information loss).
  cornelius

wrote:

> Ok, Stupid me :-)
> Thanks.
>
> (just missing the justification :-))

I am afraid this style of alignment is not described in the specifications
of SVG format so there is no support in Inkscape(because it uses svg as
the native format and it would mean information loss).

Well, the same way you can distribute objects, and that information is lost after distributing them, it would be interesting to make a "Justify this, and make it no longer a text box, but a set of words"...  not sure about that.. just thinking out loud :)

  cornelius